Wearable Body weights

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 weeks ago #186003 by
Wearable Body weights was created by
So I have been looking into wearable body weights for resistence training, does anyone have any experience with them and any recommendations?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 weeks ago #186004 by
Replied by on topic Wearable Body weights
Personally I would not recommend wearable body weights. They cause a consistent strain on your joints and Posture and causes poor muscle memory because the weight is not a natural phenomena to your natural body. Instead I would simply imploy a proper Exercise Routine that works with your own body weight and develop a more active/outside lifestyle :)

just my opinion.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #186008 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Wearable Body weights
Kit is right. If you want resistence try excercising in a pool. Otherwise there are much better ways to intensify your work out.

rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 weeks ago #186012 by
It truly depends on your goal. If you want to run faster, you could use a weighted vest or just do sprints. If you want a quicker punch or kick, wrist or ankle weights can do wonders. I would say use wearable weights sparingly. Personally, if I were having trouble passing previous physical limits with conventional methods, temporary use of those types of weights can help, but prolonged use can have detrimental effects on your musculoskeletal system. Water training can also do so much more than most understand. Think non-impact, non-compression resistance training. Ultimately, it's up to your own judgment as to whether you should or shouldn't use them. They are just one option out of many of the tools available to help you with your goals.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #186016 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Wearable Body weights
this is something i do quite often....i use 20 pound wearable weights on my wrists and ankles....if you choose to do this you MUST be aware of your body positioning...as kitsu pointed out it's not natural, it adds strain to your joints(i've popped my shoulders and elbows a few times), and can cause your body to adapt improper positioning...that is why you need to focus on body positioning while using them....absolute awareness of your body....i spar wearing them to slow myself down.....i also train and spar after removing them to get used to not having them on....there is an increase in speed afterwards....and provided you keep your body awareness while training your striking power will increase....i recommend starting small....with 2 or 5 pound weights....build up incrementally as you get used to it

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #186018 by
You can also achieve these same resistance with Resistance bands, Look on youtube for TRX training which uses your own body weight.

Swimming as Ruggard stated (Using foam "Weights" and practicing martial art forms IE: punching in/through the water) I did the water aerobics when I injured my shoulder with a yearling horse (popped shoulder out) The "Weights" aren't heavy so they do not cause a downward/unnatural pull, they simply cause resistance as you move much more naturally through the water.

To run faster, run through sandy beaches or uphill (Be observant of your ankles and knees always no matter what kind of running you do) .

Weighted vests are......good, more because it teaches you how to run with a burden. As a Jedi this is important, if you have a partner use him or her as your weights, Fireman Carry, Over shoulder, sittuations and senarios that you are more likely to come into contact with. Weighted Vests are great bug out bag training

Try and do everything Naturally :) No need to grow old too soon ;) hehe

Again....just my 2 cents
Last edit: 9 years 4 weeks ago by .

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #186061 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Wearable Body weights
I've used them, and they make me feel quite light after taking them off. I would wear them for a few hours while doing normal daily tasks.... but before that I needed to learn to engage my core and focus on posture and mindful movement, otherwise there is the chance it could just be adding leverage to bad habits and making existing muscular imbalances worse!?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #186065 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Wearable Body weights
it would be so awesome if we could create a gravity room that allowed us to increase gravitational force specifically for martial arts training....kind of like in dragon ball z :woohoo:

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 weeks ago #186067 by
I agree. I don't really recommend it. I have experience using ankle, wrist, and chest weights. A low weights than can be okay, but once you get past 20lb pairs they start to do a number on your joins. Weighted vest is okay, but take it easy.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 weeks ago #186099 by
Replied by on topic Re:Wearable Body weights
Swimming would be ideal and more natural, though very small weights probably wouldn't hurt, perhaps ankle weights during a jog?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi