Quitting Smoking

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #145432 by
Quitting Smoking was created by
Today marks the fourth (maybe fifth...) day of officially being a Jedi, the fourth day of being a non-smoker after 26 years of smoking, and the fourth day of no alcohol (not that I'm an alcoholic or anything, I just haven't wanted to drink.)

I started smoking when I was 12 years old. I've quit 1,593 times (or something like that... ;)) But, I've always done it the wrong way. I've always done it by mentally saying "I don't want to smoke." That, of course, was a lie. Of course I wanted to smoke!! It was a part of me, I had honestly been smoking for so long that I didn't know life without it! I started when I was 12 for Christ sakes!! Every significant event in my life has been preceded, during, or followed up by a smoke!! So to tell myself that I didn't want to smoke was a flat out lie, much like holding my breath and saying I don't want to breath was a lie. Of course I want to breath!! (And yes, I do see the irony of comparing smoking to breathing... lol)

This time is different, and I have to thank the Force, and a new belief system. Because now I don't have to tell myself I don't want to smoke. Now, I can tell myself that I AM the smoke. Everything around me IS me. When this realization hits you, you no longer want for ANYTHING!! Because you HAVE everything and you ARE everything. It's an amazing feeling! I can now tell myself that I WANT to smoke, but don't HAVE to smoke, because I AM the smoke. (Stay with me, people).

But do know why most people fail in quitting? Because they stumble once, and then say F&#* IT! I did it now, might as well keep doing it. (And no, I haven't stumbled yet). Most people can't quit because when they try to quit they quit quitting... They slip up, have a smoke, and then say F IT, I can't do it, and I just proved I can't. But this is the wrong mentality, and again, I have the Force to thank for changing my view.

All things have two sides, whether that be Good/Evil, On/Off, Black/White. How about Smoke/Don't Smoke? For 26 years, I was a smoker. But for most of that time, I was NOT SMOKING.... I would smoke for 10 minutes, and then spend 4 hours not smoking, and then smoke for 10 minutes, and then spend 3 hours not smoking. For most of my SMOKING life, I wasn't even smoking! So, if I happen to slip up and have a smoke, I only have to remember that this time, I've gone 4 days between instead of 4 hours. THIS is the duality of the Smoker, if you will.

So now, instead of saying "I don't want to smoke, I won't smoke." and lying to myself about not wanting it, and then doing it and saying "Well damn, now that I smoked I might as well just smoke." I can honestly say "I want to smoke, but I AM the smoke. I don't need to smoke, but if I do smoke, I'll try to wait longer next time between smokes." It really gives me a whole new perspective on it.

I'm posting this in my Journal, more for myself than anyone else. I am also going to post this in the Health section, so if you read this and feel the need to respond, please feel free to do it there.

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #145436 by
Replied by on topic Quitting Smoking
Sounds like you have a positive outlook and a healthy perspective about this challenge. The best we can do is to give our best each day. Sometimes it is tiring or frustrating, and that is okay. Continue to let the Force guide you and you will find the right path. We're behind you all the way!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #145437 by
An amazing perspective! And a valid one in the face of any challenge. Good luck and I wish you the best!

MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #145438 by
Quitting smoking has always been hard for me, I have however exchanged the cig's for a vapour pen with great success...

That's been a month now since I had a cigarette and I've managed to cut down to the lowest strength nicotine vapour also in that time.

I know that it's swapping one bad habit for another, but the vape is the lesser of two evils in my opinion. and I've tried a lot of things previously, I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #145440 by
I know a LOT of people that have used the vapor/e-cig route with a lot of success. I know for me personally, I've tried using them in the past, and it didn't work for me because I was only getting half of the process. The habit was a lot of process for me: light it, smoke it to the butt, put it out. Taking out parts of the process never worked for me, because I still felt the need for the entire process if a portion of it was still there. So, for me personally, cold turkey is the only way I can stop that process, but I give big props to anyone who finds a way that works for them! That first step is, after all, the hardest one to take!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #145442 by
True, my missus is expecting right now so I had extra motivation.

However I should point out I've used cheap e-cigs before to no avail, I also bought one of the more expensive ones with cartomizers that also didn't help.

This one is a battery with a tank that you refill yourself... I found using a virginia tobacco flavour (high nicotine) with menthol and blueberry (no nicotine) mixed was quite a pleasant flavour, nice and moreish :)

*just incase you decide to give it a whirl*

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #145443 by
Yea, I thought about quitting 4 years ago when my son was born, but also told myself that I would never say I was quitting FOR him, because then if I didn't quit I would be a horrible person in MY eyes. So, while I tried in the past, I never was motivated to quit beyond the normal "I should quit for him."

Now, I just don't feel like I need it anymore. I AM it, and it is always with me, whatever that IT is. I won't say it has been easy, but it certainly hasn't been nagging at me like it has in the past. It's an amazing feeling, to be honest.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #145466 by
Good luck to you. I quit smoking back in October, had a relapse during what amounts to finals weeks, and then got back on track early in February.

I hope that insight and perspective gives you the edge you need to stay quit.
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by . Reason: Flying monkeys prevented me from typing what I wanted

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #145501 by
That's great! I'm happy that you finally quit after so long.

I replaced smoking with nasal snuff and never looked back. Can't even stand to be in the vicinity of cigarette smoke, anymore. :P
My favorite flavor is Sandalwood. Royal George comes in a close second. Mmm.

Anyway, BIG congrats to you in your success. I wish you longer periods of non-smoking, should you happen to partake in a smoke some time in the near future. I know how difficult it is.

MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 days ago #145672 by
Replied by on topic Re:Quitting Smoking
Right on! Keep it up!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi