• Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
04 Apr 2010 18:07 #29513 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:3 quotes to think on
Knowing the truth is finally a matter of doing the truth...that is, knowledge is alive...and doing the truth takes courage and demands risks.

Dr. Elizabeth Tidball

As the fletcher whittles and makes straight his arrows, so the master directs his straying thoughts

The Buddha

Fox: to you, i am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...One only understands the things that one tames.

from Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
04 Apr 2010 18:15 #29514 by RyuJin
having made that last post, the dog was at the door barking to come in. as i went to open the door it occurred to me: whom trained who. did we train the dog to bark at the door when he wants in or out, or did the dog train us to open the door when he wants in or out....

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
25 Apr 2010 18:39 #29985 by RyuJin
My call for a spiritual revolution is thus not a call for a religious revolution. Nor is it a reference to a way of life that is somehow other-worldly, still less to something magical or mysterious. Rather, it is a call for a radical re-orientation away from our habitual preoccupation with self towards concern for the wider community of beings with whom we are connected, and for conduct which recognizes others’ interests alongside our own.

-His Holiness the Dalai Lama

If you are confused, there are a thousand differentiations, ten thousand distinctions. If you are enlightened, everything is the same one family.

-Wu-chien

As a single slab of rock Won't budge in the wind, So the wise are not moved By praise, By blame. Like a deep lake, Clear, unruffled, & calm; So the wise become clear, Calm, On hearing words of the Dhamma.

-Dhammapada 6 translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

dhamma: teachings of buddha, also known as buddha-dharma, or path of enlightenment.

these 3 quotes relate to jediism very well, as the first talks about the interconnectedness of all life. the second reaffirms the first, and the third talks of being humble, and not letting praise or blame inflate or deflate the ego.

Quotes:

More
25 Apr 2010 22:37 #29988 by 666
Replied by 666 on topic Re:3 quotes to think on
like the first one

thanks

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2010 03:04 #29992 by
Replied by on topic Re:3 quotes to think on
You've had some very good posts lately, sorry theres not much to say about them, but thanks for the stuff to think about :-)

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
30 Apr 2010 14:45 #30222 by RyuJin
Let go of body and mind, until you reach a state of great rest, like letting go over a cliff ten miles high, being like open space. And don't produce representations of discriminations of random thoughts arising and passing away; the moment a view sticks in your mind, use the sword of wisdom to cut it right off, not letting it continue.

-Huai-t'ang

Karma is not something complicated or philosophical. Karma means watching your body, watching your mouth, and watching your mind. Trying to keep these three doors as pure as possible is the practice of karma.

-Lama Thubten Yeshe

The brief elation we experience appeasing sensual impulses is very close to what the drug addict feels when indulging his or her habit. Temporary relief is soon followed by a craving for more. And in just the same way that taking drugs in the end only causes trouble, so too does much of what we undertake to fulfill our immediate sensory desires. We must acknowledge that there can be no hope of gratifying the senses permanently. At best, the happiness we derive from eating a good meal can only last until the next time we are hungry.

-His Holiness the Dalai Lama

the first quote is a good tip for meditation.

the second quote is a good one about being mindful of your actions.

the third one discusses the benefits of moderation and self control as we can only practice them by understanding that desires are never truly satisfied.

Quotes:

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
10 May 2010 19:37 #30522 by RyuJin
Do not just memorize sayings, recite words, and discuss Zen and the way based on books. The Zen way is not in books. Even if you can recite the teachings of the whole canon and all the masters and philosophers, they are just useless words of no avail when you are facing death.

-Chien-ju

O let us live in joy, although having nothing! In joy let us live like spirits of light!

-Buddha

The truth indeed has never been preached by the Buddha, seeing that one has to realize it within oneself.

-Lamkara Sutra

the first one is a really interesting one i'll have to think on for a bit...it is pointless to memorize words and phrases, memorization is not living in the moment but preserving the past and blocking the future.

the second one i feel points out that we should be happy with what we don't have as much as with what we do have, by taking joy in everything we cease to suffer.

the third , buddha merely showed the way, it's up to the individual to take the path or not.

Quotes:

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 May 2010 21:12 #30523 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:3 quotes to think on
I am not of this rite, so I hope I am not stepping on toes....

To me,

the first one says, what good to know the words, to read and listen to others interpetation of the words, if you don't live them.....

the second is saying do not be upset due to the lack of personal possesions, be happy for what you have....

the third, well, Buddha, your favorite teacher, your parents, or your Jedi Master, can tell you or explain till they are blue in the face... only you can make yourself see or understand the truth...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
11 May 2010 03:00 #30525 by RyuJin
these are open to all to comment on :)

i post them to get people to think and interpret, we all see things in a different light ;)

Quotes:

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 May 2010 05:20 #30529 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:3 quotes to think on
Sweet, just being polite.......

and thank you...
B)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTaviKhwang