Jedi Ranks

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9808 by
Jedi Ranks was created by
I read a comment recently about an old member returning and seeing that our Order is becoming more organised. And when I read the comment on Jedi colours for robes I thought why not Jedi badges/clips/things that go on your body that show something.

What I am talking about is a visual ranking system for your robes, so people can see how learned you are in the ways of the Jedi. The army have chevrons so why not us? (not the same chevrons though (that would be stupid)).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9810 by
Replied by on topic Re:Jedi Ranks
Not sure how good of an idea that is. Titles alone are our ranking system for now. Chevrons or insignia may be a bit much as of right now. Maybe further down the road as physical locations for the temples appear....thoughts?

More
16 years 4 months ago #9815 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re:Jedi Ranks
Justice wrote:

Not sure how good of an idea that is. Titles alone are our ranking system for now. Chevrons or insignia may be a bit much as of right now. Maybe further down the road as physical locations for the temples appear....thoughts?

Way back at the Old TOTJO there was interest in this very topic. A good search back through the TOTJF message board will show some of the ideas. While there's no rush to come up with something there's no harm in posting some ideas.

The avatar you see on this post is the trademark symbol for The Order and any vowed member may wear it.

A Master / Bishop has always had the privilege of a coat of arms and a personal 'bishops cross' which in my case is a large silver Ankh.

If any member wants to start an ad hoc committee to work on some ideas for rank insignia - go for it.

PERMISSION GRANTED

We all know at this stage it's ideas but all laws and customs were first ideas.

I'd personally like to see all our artists come out of the woodwork and look forward to what they come up with. I'm also sticking in another plug here for all to PM - NOT POST - me with questions to put in our entrance exam. Multiple choice or multiple choices are the best but I'll take a few true / false ones.

Br. John+

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9817 by
honor is something no man can give you and no man can take away. It is a mans gift to himself, and in the end it is the only achievement which truly matters. Concern yourself less with medals or belts or rank or whatever separates the illusion of self from the true study of the nature of the force.

More
16 years 4 months ago #9818 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re:Jedi Ranks
Sy Odynaga wrote:

honor is something no man can give you and no man can take away. It is a mans gift to himself, and in the end it is the only achievement which truly matters. Concern yourself less with medals or belts or rank or whatever separates the illusion of self from the true study of the nature of the force.

You're right of course. Every week I get an email saying, "If you make me a Jedi Master I could do so much good" ... something along those lines. As if Father Tom, I or any of us could lay hands on one and give knowledge, experience and wisdom. I wish I could but it just doesn't work that way.

Ultimately only YOU (Gentle Reader) can make yourself a master. We can only assist, attest to and witness the event.

By now it's no secret that the first bona fide Jediism Seminary [JediismSeminary.org] is opening in 2008 and granting legal diplomas.

While a student will have a personal master as a mentor s/he will learn from many masters because they are not all the same.

It's like going to college and taking classes from experts in different areas. Those already working under the old system will not have to change but may seek a diploma if they wish.

There's big changes in the wind and they are for the better.

Br. John+

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9822 by
I know I'm not a very active member but i have had similar thoughts for some time now. If the rank is going to be worn, it should be small enough so that only keen eyes should notice, have some huge patch or similar would seem boastful and rude. If any type of uniform were to come into practice they should be general similar, not the same but close. In the end the ranks should be and mostly internal meaning and should be quit small, because we are all Jedi and no one person is better then the next.

More
16 years 4 months ago #9824 by Garm
Replied by Garm on topic Re:Jedi Ranks
Br. John,
Is the Jediism Seminary part of our Temple or is it an independent body? This is quite interesting either way.

I'm not a big fan of rank insignia, but if it reflects Jedi ideals (read discreet and simple) there is no objection from me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9825 by
I realize that I may be out of the loop, as I am away often, but I would like to share thoughts on rankings and ranking insignias.

First, Chevrons are the pagan symbol for male. It has been used as a show of dominance and power. The more chevrons, the more power. As an individual in a paramilitary organization that uses these symbols, I often see rank and insignias used as a weapon to be held over others heads. I have seen good men become self serving only to get the next chevron, or star.

This is my fundamental issue with ranks at all. In a rank structure, one is is higher rank has unquestion authority over those of lesser rank, and there in lies the fundamental problem. As jedi, we do not exert power over others, or over each other. We are a commune, a community, where certain members are put into certain roles based on their skills. No one here as authority over another.

I have to often seen what rank will do to well intentioned people. I have seen people whose only goal is to achieve the next rank, not to be productive, or make a difference. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Just a few of my thoughts.

• Neaj Pa Bol
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...
More
16 years 4 months ago #9827 by Neaj Pa Bol
Replied by Neaj Pa Bol on topic Re:Jedi Ranks
This is just a thought, remembering how things were done before and how TOTJF still maintains them, with the rank and color bar.

So, I was thinking just using a symbol to identify the ranks of those who are not and who are Ministers.
"Stars"

Apprentice/Padawan - a single star of one color, like blue if not a Minister, but, a different color, like White, if a Minister.

Knights - two stars, one color if not Minister, like Orange and a different color if Minister, like Yellow.

Masters - three stars and one of two differnt colors for if or if not a Minister, then if a Master is a Bishop purple four stars, etc.

Arch-Bishops - five stars, split colors of purple and silver, etc.

Cardinal-Bishop - stars, split colors of red and silver.

Cardinal - seven red stars.

So, here's just my two cents worth for an idea or to start the group on some great dialogue!!!

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Let the improvement of yourself keep you so busy that you have no time to criticize others. Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Participated in the making of the book, “The Jedi Compass”with 2 articles.

For today I serve so that tomorrow I may serve again. One step, One Vow, One Moment... Too always remember it is not about me... Master Neaj Pa Bol

Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...

Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip...

Quiet your emotions to find inner peace. Learn from ignorance to foster knowledge.
Enjoy your passions but be immersed in serenity. Understand the chaos to see the harmony.
Life and death is to be one with the Force.

Apprentice's: Master Zanthan Storm, Jaxxy (Master Rachat et Espoir (Bridgette Barker))

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9831 by
I think that ranks is a good way to generate initiative to better ones self. Some people may try to twist the structure for the benefit of themself. May be rank can recommended or appointed based upon experience and participation. This could all be done by a sort of council or promotion board.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi