Why Train ?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33701 by
Why Train ? was created by
Good evening or good morning depending where you are in the world.

I have been reading through many of the forums within TOTJO, there are so many interesting posts and some very good points of view.

I was teaching a Martial Arts Session during the week when one of my students who recently achieved his second dan in Budo asked me “what would you do if you didn’t do Martial Arts?”

I looked at my student for a while before answering, “I don’t know, I do not remember never not doing Martial Arts, from a child I have always practiced at least three or four times a week” I thought for a little longer thinking about this question, I tried to think what I would do with my time if I didn’t train.

My thoughts took me back to a time in my life when I thought I would never walk again let alone train, I had a very serious injury whilst serving in the Army and had to have extensive surgery to both of my legs, unfortunately the surgery didn’t go as well as the surgeons and hoped and I woke up to be informed that “sorry son you will never walk again, this is your wheel chair and when you are ready we will help you to use it”
After many tears of anger and frustration and some very choice words I informed them that I would never be ready and to leave me alone and get out of my room, I was informed that I would have to come to terms with it soon enough. Unfortunately, I again used some choice words and told them to leave me alone.

As I lay there hour after hour I tried to think what would it be like to never walk again? I have legs, they are there I can see them, so of course I will be able to walk again.
The next morning , well I think it was the next morning I had so much morphine inside of me I lost complete track of time I asked the nursing sister if I could see my doctor of physiotherapist , she agreed but informed me that I had been very angry and they may not wish to see me at this time.

The first to arrive was my physio , gingerly she came into the room and asked how I was feeling ? to cut along time story short I apologised for my behaviour and told her that I needed her help as I was going to walk again.
She promised to be back as soon as my body was ready but said if I was very serious and wanted to do this it is going to be very hard and very painful, When can we start was my answer? When you have learnt to move your big toe was her answer.

“Move my big toe? Yea right like that’s going to be hard” oh if only I had know the challenge she set me. Without exaggeration I spent hour after hour, day after day and week after week and still I could not move that big toe. I got more and more angry and so frustrated at myself, why oh why won’t it work.

During one of my “why me” moments a Chinese nurse on the ward told me off, you are being selfish look around you, look at the others in this ward, why are you so special ? If you want it, it’s down to you and only you, you can make it happen now stop thinking about why you can’t move it and start thinking about how it will feel when it moves.

Well after a few days in the very early hours of the morning it moved “ it’s moving, it’s moving quick come and look it’s moving” the nurses hugged me, cried with me, laughed with me and helped me to celebrate my moment.
The physio did come back as promised and yes it did hurt , every bloody day it hurt but it was so worth it. It took a year to learn to walk again, and at the end of it I was able to push that wheel chair and give it back.

After looking back I was able to answer my student, “If I didn’t do Martial Arts I would train, I would train my mind, my body and spirit”

For if you really want it, it’s out there. You just need to know where to look.

MTFBWY

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
13 years 7 months ago #33707 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:Why Train ?
This week, I had a parent ask me about their child... Their child is a small child, constantly picked on in his school....

This child needs self confidence, needs to learn self-reliance.... 

But how do you get the child to absorb the lessons?  Not just the physical movements I show, but the words I speak, telling him to stick it out, don't give up, don't give in?

The lessons I provide are there, but until a person is ready to learn, they will do him/her no good until they understand and accept....

I too, have had that inner strength, fortunately, mine was not required to the degree yours was, but everybody has different trials and tribulations, and even more different ways of dealing with them.......

Somewhere, recently, I was reading/listening to an audio book, and this was said....... It was about training.....

If you are training your body, and you hurt your arm, you would work a different set of muscles for that days routine...

The same would be said for mental vs physical training..... When your brain cannot absorb anymore, work on your body, when your body is tired, or just not as able, train your mind.... 

Training is training..... Repetition.... Physical reps, mental reps.... Over and over, keep striving, learning, listening, absorbing.....

I used to say, (I still do just not as often), you ought to learn something everyday, or you should have stayed in bed.....

Don't let the naysayers get you to believing what they say....  

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33719 by
Replied by on topic Re:Why Train ?
If you are training your body, and you hurt your arm, you would work a different set of muscles for that days routine...

The same would be said for mental vs physical training..... When your brain cannot absorb anymore, work on your body, when your body is tired, or just not as able, train your mind....

Training is training..... Repetition.... Physical reps, mental reps.... Over and over, keep striving, learning, listening, absorbing.....

I used to say, (I still do just not as often), you ought to learn something everyday, or you should have stayed in bed.....

Don't let the naysayers get you to believing what they say....

Jester,

These are very good words and I would like to use them when teaching my students if thats ok with you ?

Do you also find that parents will tell you that their child has had problems or their behaviour has not been good at home / school and \" could you tell them off for us sensei as they always listen to you\" , \" they do not listen to us, please tell them to behave\"

Now you have to ask yourself why would they ask me to this ?

Is it because in our Dojo we set rules and boundaries or is it that we have high expectations ?

Or is that we are consistant in our approach, we are cheerful, approacable and resourceful ?

Or is it all of the above and we offer all of this free of charge ?

I would welcome your thoughts .

MTFBWY.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
13 years 7 months ago #33727 by Jestor
Often, the words I use are from other places, other sources, twisted to fit into the fold of my life...... Knowledge and Experiences are useless, if not shared..... Please, what I have is yours to share, as it is with anyone.....

Yes, I do find parents telling me this, once in a while... But not too often..... In the beginning, I stress to the students how much time and energy a parent has to put into a child and his/her activities.... Not to mention money, money is important, but I tell the children, even teens, that the time a parent spends bringing them, and picking them up, could be spent doin what the parent wants to do, or  NEED to do.....

Time.... 

That is the one thing we cannot earn more of....

I find that even in my own house with my family, structure is not what I ask for at my Do-Jang.... My students enter, knowing that this is not a play place and there is order and discipline... Versus my own children, who see me for the clown I am in my personal life..... To a point.... My discipline was removed by..... Others, lol, I was informed I was too tough on my oldest, who, now, has a bad attitude and several run-in's with the law... Nothing serious yet, partying and such.... With my youngest, my methods are left alone more..... lol.... And he seems to be on a better pathway... Time will tell.......

The same can be said about our school systems here in the states..... We took away the ability of the administration to discipline our children, and yet, the public holds the school system responsible when we have deaths due to bullying, gunfire, suicide pacts, teen pregnancy.... If we stop worrying about the rights of these minors, (granted, I say this in a large sweeping way.... The bad apples of the past have helped to make these problem what they are today.....), and worry about the rights and futures of all of them..... Maybe it would be different...... 

I think, much like being a Jedi, our students seek us.... No one makes them come and learn..... And we constantly remind them, at Belt Presentations, we have them bow to their parents in thanks and respect for the TKD lessons.... You are correct as well to say our, \"cheerful, approachable, and resourceful\" ways, help us as well... Most parents, I think, are tired..... Just don't have the energy to do what they need to, and want to spend their time doing what they find enjoyable...

It's easy to teach the ones that seek you... The rest? ....  all we can do is try....

I can just go on.... I apologize as sometimes I rattle on and on.... But this is one of my pet peeves in life, having a child, then not doing what is their (the parents) responsibilities, and best for their offspring.....       Grrr... lol.... Gets my dander up....

As always, these are my opinions, subject to change, when I find I need to...... B)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33747 by
As always, these are my opinions, subject to change, when I find I need to......

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now that I like !!!

With regards to the education system, I think that we are all experiencing problems.

Its a mine field, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Children are informed of their rights but I feel that someone has forgotten to inform them that adults have rights as well.

A good topic for another day ???

Take care.

MTFBWY.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33749 by
In my 3 or so years here (well, ok, 2.5 :D ) Ive heard it said or asked many times 'why train' or whats the big deal of lessons etc

OK - here are some phrases thats spring to mind

It is better to have tried and failed than failed to try.
(even if failure lay lessons)

knowledge is the single power that can tbe taken from you

Training is a means to better yourself - cos no one else is going to make you better (think about how the words can be taken in multiple ways)

The time we stop learning is the time we stop living

Ignorace is not bliss - ignorance is a cause of fear - fear of the unknown and misunderstood is all too common a cause of strife.

There are many more but I sometimes feel that for many 'learning' is seen as a chore from the bad old days of school and thus folk just shrug shoulders and say 'cant be bothered' or make excuses like 'i dont have time'

The interesting thing on time is this - ask anyone to make a minute by minute diary of their day - they often spend hours watchin tv, reading newspapers, playing games, tinterweb etc - im sure at least some of this time could have been better used ;)

Anyway - whilst we on the subject of kids n the way they behave, my theory is this, they dont have respect for anyone or anything - and that includes themsleves. We can only hope they see themselves in the future and see what they did and have some shame. Dont get me wrong, I now not all kids are like this but its a growing trend and a worrying one, especially when u consider some of these kids will one day be in power of some sort.

When i was young, the cane was still in use and yes i got it a few times - the teacher who used the cane on me became a friend of mine when i became am adult (sadly died the other other day) - he taught me many valuble lessons.

The main one was when he told me 'im not caning to hurt you, im doing it to remind you its wrong and that i care'

Sounds odd but in hindsight - i see the point.

I know many folk who have quit teaching cos kids dont want to be taught, they are rude, ignorant and often violent - why? - They have no fear or respect - why is this? because they KNOW that nobody can do anything to them - these days, techers need permission to keeep kid in behind school (detention) from parents. Most schools have to resort to suspention which i find hilarious given the one place the kids dont want to be is in school.

But much of these issues start at home - even parents are afraid to discipline kids for fear of the social services or police getting involved.

So what is the answer? One needs to be found before we have a whole generation where absolutley nothing is deemed sacred.

MTFBWY - A

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
13 years 7 months ago #33754 by Jestor
True Keith, I got off track, my aplologies.....

Why Train? Why (do we want to) train?

-Because we want to, we love the challenge set before us....
-Thrill of accomplishing, what was said we would not/could not get done....
-Betterment of ourselves....

- heck, I'd say just the thirst for understanding....

.... for you and I and many others here at TOTJO, anyway....

We are here, voluntary, looking for some answers, and like minded company....

One of my Favorite things, Joseph Campbell said was, \"I do not think something is important, simply because others say it is.....\" (paraphrasing)...

These things I do, are important to me....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33811 by
Here Here,

Very good words I would say. B)

To be around like minded people helps us to gain further information and to pass on any that we have.

To share knowledge with others is a wonderful thing.

Take care of you.

MTFBWY

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 6 months ago #33846 by
Training

Mind , Body & Spirit

Speed comes from Effort

Willpower comes from Faith

Strength comes from Health

Techniques come from Experience

Serenity comes from old Knowledge

Progress comes from New Knowledge

The way is not difficult for those without Preferences

“When in training, Train

When Teaching, Teach

When you are neither Teaching or Training

Ask yourself WHY ?”

If you want it to happen you sometimes have to get up and make it happen

Your attitude in Budo will help you to achieve in every day life.

Your attitude in life will help you to become at one with Budo.

I used these words a very long time ago when I was very young to try and help my Students and Sensei, some looked and read the words others just looked.

I hoped to be able to help them, and I still strive to help them.

MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 6 months ago #33854 by
This is beautiful, Keith.

It makes me consider taking the efford to learn marshal arts as well, provided there are such wise men among the teachers around here.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi