Advice for an article?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 10 months ago #31501 by
Advice for an article? was created by
I've been asked by my senior pastor to write a 'promotional article' about the Jedi ministry I'm trying to form, to put in the parish newsletter. Not quite sure about what to put in it. Any thoughts?
(My idea is to train Knights using the teachings and philosophies here and at TOTJO, as well as some stage-combat training such as the 'saberwars' groups do.)
MTFBWUA

(X-posted from TOTJF)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 10 months ago #31502 by
Replied by on topic Re:Advice for an article?
If you need ideas about how to describe Jediism, I wrote an article recently for a UK Pagan Magazine so feel free to grab anything you need from that. There's a copy of the article here:
http://templeofthejediorder.org/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,96/func,view/id,31372/catid,5/limit,6/limitstart,0/#31347

Sounds like a very intriguing concept - I hope that it works out well (wouldn't it be great if the future held such ministries all over the world!)

MTFBWY

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 10 months ago #31507 by
Thanx Mark!
(Oh, BTW: I'm a 1st level Reiki healer, myself, looking to start learning about level 2. Can we talk?)

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
13 years 10 months ago #31511 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:Advice for an article?
that's awesome that there is at least a church with an open mind, willing to accept and promote an alternate view of things...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #31512 by
Master ChanceArgo,

Of course! Feel free to pm me if you like! :-)

MTFBWY
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 10 months ago #31518 by
RyuJin: Y'know, that's the motto of the UMC: \"Open hearts, open minds, open doors.\"
It is refreshing to know they do practice what they preach, isn't it?

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
13 years 10 months ago #31521 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:Advice for an article?
quite true...the last church i went to (my sis tricked me into it) the adult class was talking about \"the sins of homosexuality, and how they will burn, blah blah blah\"...then during the actual sermon the priest was preaching about tolerance and acceptance and how we are responsible for guiding those lost souls....talk about hypocrisy...needless to say i never went back....i've been in many different churches that showed that sort of hypocrisy...so to see one that actually does practice what it preaches is refreshing...

best of luck with your endeavor. :)

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 10 months ago #31701 by
Update: the article is written, and emailed to the Sr. Pastor. he says he'll read it today and let me know what he thinks. When we talk about it, he sounds very excited and supportive.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 10 months ago #31702 by
FYI: Here's the text of the submitted article:

The Texarkana Parish’s new ministry, the Ark-La-Tex Jedi Order, is looking for members

who want to learn about God by studying “the Ways of the Force”

This is not just another “Star Wars” fan club. In creating the Jedi Knights, the “guardians

of Peace and Justice” in a galaxy far, far away, and the idea of The Force, the mystical energy the

Jedi used to help them protect and defend, filmmaker George Lucas wanted “...to awaken a

certain kind of spirituality in young people,” and get them talking about God in a new way.

In recent years, a number of young people have been taking him at his word, mixing and

matching various religious philosophies and getting down to their common essence(s). Taking its

name and some of the trappings of the movies, the result, called Jedi Realism (or Jediism) has

provided a new, innovative avenue for people to explore their Christian faith. Supplementing the

Gospels with teachings from Joseph Campbell and Carl Jung, as well as the medieval Code of

Chivalry and the Samurai code of Bushido, aspiring modern-day Knights are trained to teach

others about God and the value of service to others in a unique way.

In learning about “the Jedi Way”, members will learn and discuss how The Force can be

compared to The Holy Spirit, the values of Honor, Compassion and Service to the community,

and how to live more fully in the Present Moment.

And of course, what is a Jedi without his “elegant weapon”, the lightsaber? Taking its cues

from other fan-based groups like NYJedi, LAJedi and the New Jedi Order, the ALTJO will have

regular workshops on stage-swordfighting, providing a more fun aspect of ministry, with an eye

towards performing for special events, fundraisers, and the like.

The ALTJO meets _____ evenings at 7:30 pm, at Spring Lake Park.. For more

information, please contact David Zwirn at (903) 306-0512, or email at zwirn.david@gmail.com.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 10 months ago #31959 by
Got the official go-ahead from the senior pastor on the 4th. Now just gotta lock down a date and time. WOOT!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi