Can Good Create Evil?

More
2 years 4 months ago #364630 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Can Good Create Evil?
Yea, but its not required for it to be created and it might not create it.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
2 years 4 months ago #364647 by
Replied by on topic Can Good Create Evil?
I'll give a dialectical perspective here. I believe that all of these "good" and "evil" things are more of a matter of perspective. Ones reality is greatly influenced by their perception, and we see reality as we are, not as it is. So that being said, when we are practicing DBT we don't utilize the terms good, evil, bad, and what not. We say "effective" and "non-effective," as it takes the perception out of it, and bases the moment on the facts of reality instead of our own opinion.

DBT answer aside, I'd look at this like the mother who had amazing intentions, raising her child giving it everything she could because she loved him or her so much it hurt. Protected them from every potential harm that would come their way. And now the child ends up being "spoiled," mean to others, thinking that they are better than everyone else and intentionally lashes out because of a superiority complex, or maybe because they never learned how to social interact with others when they were being sheltered. Just like the knights said earlier, her intentions were good, but it led to an "non-effective" result. So I guess good intentions can create evil or bad outcomes, but i'd also say that those evil outcomes can have the opportunity to change as well. If we set something up to be good or bad, eventually the pendulum will swing and it will become the opposite. Hence why walking a middle path is so important, so that way we don't set ourselves up to suffer with the "pendulum" effect.

-David

More
2 years 4 months ago #364649 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Can Good Create Evil?
All great responses. Even the "I don't know" response is a great response.

Why? Because "I think" good is NOTHING... except for my own perspective/understanding/experience of what good is. Evil is NOTHING... except for my own perspective/understanding/experience of what evil is. So yes, good can create evil and evil can create good depending on who's perspective/understanding/experience we're using as a measure.

The reason I asked about intent is because that's how we position ourselves, relatively, between these two poles. The more selfish the intent is the more it could negatively impact (therefore become evil to) someone else. The more selfless our intent the more it could positively impact others.

Without a mirror do you see your own face? Which perspective matters to you when your actions are judged? In general, I think we try to balance the two. We balance self-evil a.k.a self-sacrifice in order to avoid evil or sacrificing others. And this is inherently good because it would be bad not to. At least I think it would be bad not to.

So if we are not mindful of ourselves... have no ability to reflect... to see ourselves from a higher vantage point... how can we know if we're doing good or evil? Does it matter to you?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi