What would help the Temple Be A Better Place? Suggestions please...

More
6 years 9 months ago #293943 by Eleven
I liked Manu response on the 2 pg. of this discussion and it was thoroughly written and clear. But, The issue I see is that sending out a packet of material for the entire IP could be very expensive not only for TOTJO to send to people who might not finish the IP but, it could be expensive to send to all the Knights to check the IP to see that it's completed and correct. As I think it would be awesome to have a collection to see all your work I was once told by Alexander Orion that if I decided at one point to leave (due to some unforeseen things during that time) he would be happy to send my entire IP in a pdf. file for me to have on my personal computer which, I thought was wonderful.

I think the IP is memorable I know I was in tears once it was completed and I was given an Apprenticeship shortly after. I enjoyed doing the IP.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #293945 by Eleven
What do I think would help the temple be a better place?

Like said before more accountability from the Council. I liked the idea of jedi serving "terms" on the council and other operations within TOTJO. It gives the temple fresh feeling and avoid council members from being burnt out. I don't want it just to be about my needs but, also the council members to know that we care about them as well and their needs as Jedi.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #293952 by

Sven One wrote: What do I think would help the temple be a better place?

Like said before more accountability from the Council. I liked the idea of jedi serving "terms" on the council and other operations within TOTJO. It gives the temple fresh feeling and avoid council members from being burnt out. I don't want it just to be about my needs but, also the council members to know that we care about them as well and their needs as Jedi.

This is good input, Sven. Accountability and transparency are very important to the new Advisory Knights and the Council and we will be able to share exactly what we are working on in Council and what the progress is. We will also be discussing terms soon, and working out a fair way to represent the wider membership so everyone can feel good about the work being done here and hopefully prevent burnout. More to come on this.

More
6 years 8 months ago #296865 by ZealotX

Yugen wrote: This is more about curriculum than the temple itself.. but here I go

1. Make the Initiate's programme more about practical application than cryptic messages or supposed "between the lines" meaning
As much as I enjoy Alan Watts or Joseph Campbell, I have struggled to put together entries on every part and chapter of their materials, and while I understand that it gives an understanding of the works Jediism is based upon, only later does the Initiate's programme touch on Jediism itself and a little on actual practical application. Theory is only useful if it can be put into application, one way or another. I will touch on youths later, but believe me, being a young person and trying to write an elaborate essay on how the world is your body can prove to be difficult. I'm not saying make it easier, I'm saying make it less cryptic, show what Jediism is and what it is all about rather than hide behind cryptic and mystic messages.

CLASSES:
I'd be very cautions about changing the IP too much. However, I would LOVE the idea of specialization. I think there are general things all Jedi should have to learn in order to call themselves Jedi. And there should be masters that interact with apprentices and give them things to work on to better themselves. However, I think there should be some segmentation; the equivalent of grade school and college. There should be a Jedi "General Studies" curriculum and then "majors" where a person can choose Jedi Guardian, Jedi Sentinel, Jedi Consular, Jedi Sage, etc. (There could be a ceremony/ritual in which one chooses their class similar to the "Divergent" movie).

HOLOCRONS:
If you do this then the IP becomes more fluid and alive because you can constantly expand it into different areas aligned with a particular "class", and you could do that based on interest without burdening those who aren't interest in that particular course of study. And then you can even have levels, like "Level 2 Jedi Consular". Additional knowledge can even be hidden within Jedi "holocrons" where you have to be on a particular path and complete prerequisites in order to get the password you need to get into those materials. The other thing this does it offer some protection/security for advanced Jedi Studies so that this knowledge cannot be abused. I believe this would motivate more people to progress within the IP.

A lot of people seem to have issues with the council. I know the council is trying new things (admirable) and trying to figure out the best way to mitigate some of these issues.

SUBCOUNCIL:
I also think that each "class" of Jedi should have some representation on a rotating secondary or sub-council. The purpose of this group isn't the same as the advisory group that is currently forming. The purpose of this group would be to handle all temple business related to members (like a Community Management group). I think that the main council should focus solely on the business part and creating policies and guidelines that help unify Jediism. Trying to accomplish these things and everything else might be too much stress for one body. And then that same body is the one everyone expects to interact with in some fashion. And that body, may not be able to rotate new blood in because of the knowledge and experience needed to keep the ship afloat. When there is too much anxiety about what's going on at the top, I believe this is an indication that the top needs to delegate more responsibilities outside of itself. And clearly, people are stepping down from positions at a pace that imho reiterates the need for less stress and more delegation.

MISSIONS:
And then I would (from the Council level) task this representative council with creating projects that involve the application of Jediism to real life issues and current events. How are we supporting Green energy and defending against climate change, for example? Maybe the Jedi Guardians come up with the best plan so they get to implement it with the support of the council. And then we could do private (or public) fundraising to help implement these plans. It could be something as simple as building a solar panel and battery setup and then teaching those techniques to any Jedi who is interested in the form of video holocron. A lot of people want to do something and one of the things that give religions legitimacy outside of being a club is an organized conducting of humanitarian work. Everybody can do their own independent acts of goodness. Yes... that's cool and all that. But there's nothing more effective than a united front against a common problem or an organized effort. And there are modern ways of getting around the geographic distance hurdles.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #296897 by
Apologies if this has been mentioned before; I admit to not having read all 18 pages.

I think it'd be really nice if there were broader options for learning methods in the IP. As someone with learning differences it's been really tough going for me even though I love the ideas presented and thinking about what they mean for me and my path.

I'm not sure what this would look like... I've only just now found out that adaptations might be a possibility. Formal seminar/study groups? One on one discussions with Knights about IP lessons they find especially interesting or could be considered to have expertise on? I don't know. I don't know what the possibilities are at all - heck, I barely know the material of the first half of the first lesson, lol!

I just know, I've felt overwhelmed and stymied and like it will take a Herculean effort to get through the IP. Not because of lack of interest, and not because I'm incapable; just because I don't brain in a way that plays well with traditional education models.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #296899 by

ReallyRiver wrote: I think it'd be really nice if there were broader options for learning methods in the IP. As someone with learning differences it's been really tough going for me even though I love the ideas presented and thinking about what they mean for me and my path.

Thank you for raising this issue, River. I admit I don't know off the top of my head to what extent we have implemented accommodations for people who need them. But we absolutely should give this some consideration if we haven't already. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #314852 by
This is exactly the attitude I am talking about: the spirit of serving: what an earth is wrong with that... please enlighten me... I find these forums discursive and without proper aim, clarity, reality and defining collective goals: besides becoming enlightened whom ever said it was just this... its the action in the world that matters not the being whom enacts it...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #314871 by

JEDIONE777 wrote: This is exactly the attitude I am talking about: the spirit of serving: what an earth is wrong with that... please enlighten me... I find these forums discursive and without proper aim, clarity, reality and defining collective goals: besides becoming enlightened whom ever said it was just this... its the action in the world that matters not the being whom enacts it...

What is exactly the attitude that you're talking about?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #314872 by

More
6 years 2 months ago #314873 by Zenchi

JEDIONE777 wrote: YOURS...

Could you please be more specific?

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity