The "Why?"

More
7 years 9 months ago #248551 by rugadd
The "Why?" was created by rugadd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA

This is a Link to Simon Sinek, whom has some interesting things to say about "Why".

So, what is YOUR why?

How do you remember it in the morning?

How do you find it when things seem negative?

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #248732 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic The "Why?"
I assume Jedi are leaders by virtue of example and a consistent desire to self improve. What he says makes a lot of sense, even if it is business oriented. I am struggling with my why....I would love to get some inspiration from my fellow Jedi.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #248751 by
Replied by on topic The "Why?"
I'm sorry, I didn't watch the video. But I wanted to help contribute to this topic so I will answer your questions.

As Jedi, we really have two objects of focus known as "why". We have a group dynamic across all Jedi. This is our seemingly archetypical "why" as a group of like-minded individuals. For TOTJO, this WHY is dictated implicitly on our Doctrine page.

Because we believe in the archetypes given to us from Jo Campbell by way of Star Wars, we strive to embody those ideals. They direct us to have a group purpose of making the world a more empathetic place, making the world safer, making society more enlightened. And, these are all done for the purpose of creating a society that has these traits. The WHY is so we can have better lives. Better is a bias, yes, but we do define it in our own way. If there is more peace, more knowledge, more serenity, more harmony, and more Eternal perspective, then we can live life with less suffering, less ignorance, less blinding selfishness, less chaotic tragedy, and less of a life lived with fear.

There is no fear of Emotion; for there is Peace.
There is no fear of Ignorance; for there is Knowledge.
There is no fear of Passion; for there is Serenity.
There is no fear of Chaos; for there is Harmony.
There is no fear of Death; for there is the Force.

The why, in this case, is almost self-evident. But, each Jedi has to find his own personal way of contributing to the bigger picture.

This comes down to something a little intangible. Our "why" often goes unexplored and unexamined, though we have one for all our actions. When I binge eat, there's a reason even if I don't think about it. When I am depressed and don't want to get out of bed in the morning, there's a reason... even if I don't think about it.

So, perhaps this is a great exercise in awareness. Thinking about how we live our lives. Examining our decision-making. What do we do every day? How do we direct our actions? This will GIVE us our Why even without us having to make one up.

I think this is why people go to psychotherapy. It is an exercise in pointing out what we do, in hindsight, to show what our subconscious why is. And, if that why is not satisfactory, consciously choosing to CHANGE the why to something that will produce actions that support it. Or vice-versa depending on the person.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #248789 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic The "Why?"
to summarize the video

"start with WHY? how great leaders inspire action"

if i understand him correctly, he is essentially making the case that the most effective people are the ones acting on the basis of what they believe in, rather than only what they WANT to accomplish or NEED to acquire

and making the case that people in general respond more to beliefs than to pragmatic logical appeals

"people dont buy WHAT YOU DO, they buy WHY YOU DO IT"

"the goal is not to do business with everybody who needs what you have, the goal is to do business with people who believe what you believe"

"there are "leaders", and there are those who lead; "leaders" hold a position of power or authority, but those who lead INSPIRE us. Whether theyre individuals or organizations, we follow those who lead not because we HAVE to, but because we WANT to. We follow those who lead, not for THEM, but for OURSELVES"

[because we believe in what they believe in, we want to act in coordination with people who believe as we believe]

i also like this one, which is more of a supporting point within the general message:

"the limbic brains are responsible for all of our feelings, like trust and loyalty. Its also responsible for all human behavior, all decision making, and it has no capacity for language"

i think this all this is pretty true

you said you wanted to know our "why?"

i am on a path of improvement and of achievement that is personal to my own abilities and desires

i believe that this path will result in me growing as a person, and also will equip me to be a positive influence on society in the ways that i am best suited for

by improving myself, i develop the tools and resources to also improve society, even if only in a small way

i believe that is the best way to live; it integrates both my own personal needs and wishes with the overall well being of the social order to which i belong

i dont have much more of a why than that- to me it would feel a waste of my life to just drift through doing whatever comes along and "going with the flow" until im dead, and its not really worth the effort it would take to become "successful" if what i gain is just monetary success but dont grow and mature as a person. in fact that would be kind of a trap

and also i am blessed to be who i am in the time and place that i live and i feel that the "right" thing for me to do is my best to help my culture move in a healthy direction

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
7 years 9 months ago #248795 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic The "Why?"
One of the why's would be our share of the shared belief i am blessed to be who i am in the time and place that i live and i feel that the "right" thing for me to do is my best to help my culture move in a healthy direction... the individual has only the power he takes some days

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 9 months ago #248798 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic The "Why?"
I do like to hear when organized individuals share some insight with us more Un circle type people. I have no Google or apple friends so these post of videos from their training sessions seem to me like gifts. I like the oder of sharing the why. It takes a different focus to be able to see not only a bigger picture but a very much different picture all together. Thanks brother RUG! I think personally the more connections we share the better we are as a Jedi and human being s.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi