Star Wars: A New Hope (Revisited)

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #212472 by Proteus
I watched what is probably the most properly polished version of A New Hope that likely exists at this point. Back in 2007 a fan by the handle of Adywan created a very high quality re-edit of the film out of the 2004 DVD edition with ACTUAL properly executed color correction, hundreds of fixes to incongruincies/inconsistencies/jump shots/scene timing, as well as new scenes of ships, a proper revealing of the death star, much better space backdrops and countless other edits. In this version, HAN SHOOTS FIRST, the Jabba the Hut scene as well as various other overly CGI additions were removed to restore it more closely back to the original. Also the audio is much improved with a soundtrack that fits and assists scenes a lot better helping it feel a lot more cohesive. It really was a wonderful experience watching this. Adywan was working on doing the same to ESB but don't know if he still is. He's not as active with updating his youtube as he was years ago.

Just youtube Adywan Star Wars Re-visited to see an assortment of scenes that were improved (some include comparison to the 2004 DVD).

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Breeze el Tierno, Loudzoo,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #212474 by Wescli Wardest
More importantly... how does one obtain a copy of this to view? :ohmy:

:cheer:

Monastic Order of Knights

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #212476 by Edan
I am probably one of the very few people who think this, but for me the inconsistencies and the weird little quirks were part of the film.. I remember watching the original trilogy on a video cassette taped from the TV by my grandad. But then, I'm also one of the few people who isn't bothered by the edits and tweaks made by George Lucas.
They weren't perfect when they came out, so to see a 'perfect version' is kinda wrong to me... just my thoughts.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
8 years 4 months ago #212486 by Zenchi
I watched a couple of clips on YouTube, the one between Obi Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader to be specific. He added some music to the fight sequence which of course I couldn't really call it a fight, but the music really threw the whole thing off IMO...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin

More
8 years 4 months ago #212487 by Proteus

Zenchi wrote: I watched a couple of clips on YouTube, the one between Obi Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader to be specific. He added some music to the fight sequence which of course I couldn't really call it a fight, but the music really threw the whole thing off IMO...

Also sped up the movements and added some sequences as well.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212497 by
Replied by on topic Star Wars: A New Hope (Revisited)
Harmy's Despecialized version is by far the best version out there. While Adywan had the right idea, he tried to out-Lucas Lucas in adding too many things that weren't there to begin with, or fixing something that shouldn't have been fixed in the first place. Harmy's brings a film-restoration as well as removal of any of Lucas' additions in the Special Editions. It's as close to the original in HD as you'll ever get and I highly, highly recommend it.

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-V25-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/id/12713

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212502 by

Proteus wrote:

Zenchi wrote: I watched a couple of clips on YouTube, the one between Obi Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader to be specific. He added some music to the fight sequence which of course I couldn't really call it a fight, but the music really threw the whole thing off IMO...

Actually that fight was one of my favorites in the entire series. To me it more accurately represented how you would fight with swords that would go through a human being with zero effort. Small movements, all about controlling the center line, patiently watching and waiting for an opening. To me it was the result of two great warriors who have spent a lifetime perfecting their skills to use a little motion as possible, pure efficiency in combat. As a sword instructor I love it, although from a purely cinematic stand point it was boring. :lol:

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #212515 by Zenchi

Goken wrote:

Proteus wrote:

Actually that fight was one of my favorites in the entire series. To me it more accurately represented how you would fight with swords that would go through a human being with zero effort. Small movements, all about controlling the center line, patiently watching and waiting for an opening. To me it was the result of two great warriors who have spent a lifetime perfecting their skills to use a little motion as possible, pure efficiency in combat. As a sword instructor I love it, although from a purely cinematic stand point it was boring. :lol:

Was referring to the edit. They sped up the fight sequence, to the point it was no longer really a fight. I myself much prefer the original...

Passion, yet Serenity
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212521 by

Zenchi wrote: Was referring to the edit. They sped up the fight sequence, to the point it was no longer really a fight.

Which is why the Despecialized version I linked earlier is the best high-quality version out there.

More
8 years 4 months ago #212523 by Zenchi

BionicPianoMan wrote:

Zenchi wrote: Was referring to the edit. They sped up the fight sequence, to the point it was no longer really a fight.

Which is why the Despecialized version I linked earlier is the best high-quality version out there.

Too many versions, I don't need any of em. Still have the original unedited classic, the best of them all...

Passion, yet Serenity
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi