Do you get nervous invoking gods?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #333259 by
I always wondered is it natural to be a little nervous when invoking gods and spirits

Even for the most simple rituals which are almost more like simple prayers maybe with a few offerings ect. Do you ever get nervous when doing it when calling on upon powers you don't fully understand. Do you ever get nervous of the consequences

Even when you invoke deities that are good, that are not evil or hostile isn't it natural to be nervous because you are afraid you may mess up the ritual by either by missing a line or perhaps forgetting something else to do. I hear some rituals are personal and don't always have to be followed exactly to the letter other wise it will blow up in your face and so forth But perhaps it isn't that it wouldn't blow up in your face, you just wouldn't get the results you want? Is that true for you?

Just wondering what your thoughts are. Perhaps I just am paranoid at the thought of it even if my intentions are good. I know intentions has a lot to do with it. Such as calling upon powers to help you and your family as opposed to simply gaining power. Perhaps I worry about it since my brother foolishly played around with forces although the gods and spirits he messed around with were hostile and the deities I have in mind are forgiving and nice.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #333264 by Kobos
So I personally am not well versed in this. I haven't really reached out so to say but have friends that do.

I have seen some goofy things, and had a few weird experiences I cannot explain fully. I went to an old university in IL, USA it was used as a field hospital and chapel during the civil war. I spent a lot of time in the basement of the chapel learning basic piano for music theory (I was not allowed to write my pieces on bass and guitar since I could not perform them by myself for presentation). Anyways many a late night and many odd experiences there. Doors closing and slamming, locked doors opening, other pianos in a different room playing while I was there alone (I had to have security let me in most nights after work, so I know it was locked unless they came in, entrance from the outside was pretty loud so I always heard them when they were making rounds).

So, I had some friends and a girl I dated who did do some calling on spirits on this old campus. One person in particular always said to me that, "If your going to do this make sure you know what you are looking at and for, because you do not know what you are reaching too." So, I guess that some what stuck with me. I guess I fell into this idea that somethings are meant to be left alone. So, I would have high anxiety in this type of situation, just because I don't know what I would be getting. Particularly when we are talking about (IMHO) manifestations of the Force that are different sentience than our own (if that makes sense).

May I ask why you feel the need to reach out to these manifestations and which ones you do? This has always been a little of an interest for me because of my above experiences.

Much Love, respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Kobos.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #333271 by
Replied by on topic Do you get nervous invoking gods?
No it's not natural to be nervous. If you don't know what you are doing why are you taking a chance and doing it?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #333273 by
As far as I know it is more dangerous evoking than invoking as invoking is calling in and evoking is more commanding as it involves conjuring and summoning. I have everything I need as far as instructions and self taught although sometimes even when doing simple offerings sometimes I always feel nervous when doing it even though I'm not commanding at all.I don't have time or the money for a teacher to do it and I know it can help my life. I don't work with dangerous entities or command any of them and I have seen others work with them all the time invoking with little to no problems even novices but I guess I feel as if even the slightest chance something malicious may come, it shakes me sometimes but feel as if I am being paranoid about it.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by .

More
5 years 1 month ago #333287 by Gisteron
As far as any of the rest of us know, the only danger in literally wishing upon a star is with all the time wasted that could have been instead utilized to affect the desired change.
That being said, removing this from actual real implications, I think it's perfectly natural to feel uneasy about operating with things one believes can dramatically alter a given state of affairs, especially when one has no indication whatsoever that one can produce any outcome reliably or indeed at all. Add to that personal insecurities, the fear of "messing up" that comes with almost everything we do that we feel we are unable to fully control or predict the outcome of, and something very much like what you feel is bound to loom over you as you perform.
That being said, while easy to explain in retrospect, it's a shame still that we have no instinct by which to tell protective fears from unfounded ones. That you feel insecure and nervous and stressful about doing something that has value only in that it can be fun, or entertaining, or relieve stress is a consequence of that. It is yet another response to the what's-the-harm line of questions. You are feeling unease borne solely out of your own superstitions on the matter, and for no benefit to anyone to show for it.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #333289 by
I don't recall ever being nervous when working with gods, not for a long time, anyway.
If you're the sort that tends to be nervous or fearful on instinct, there's not a lot anybody can do about that but yourself, so, developing some familiarity and thus an idea what to expect is your best bet. Nothing makes you scared worse than uncertainty, and uncertainty fills gaps fast if they aren't already filled with knowledge.
Nervousness and fear are, in my opinion, pretty natural instincts when faced with something you perceive to be "greater"; despite what some think based solely on our ability to kill things, we're evolved from a prey species. Fear comes easy, and as somebody pointed out, the real trick is differentiating between founded and unfounded. Educate yourself, and if that doesn't help, than maybe think better of doing it?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #333302 by
Sometimes I had always thought people would need a whole bunch of protection just to protect themselves from outside influences but as I look more into it usually such things are not required for generally invoking or calling within. And Wiccans and Druids invoke but generally do not evoke which is more rare, complicated and requires more protection and is generally more dangerous.

And of course as mention it has a lot to do with my brother who made mistakes when doing it but he followed a much more dominating and aggressive path and I approached things differently. More concerned about being more passive, and caring more about working with nature and spirits instead of dominating and commanding them. So I may be worried for no real reason. I have books on the subject that talk about this and never involve evoking and generally spells are custom meaning you do not always have to follow things to the letter.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #333304 by
you shouldnt be nervous when working with the gods/spirits.that tends to tense the energies that you are working with. if you have to meditate before use. that always helped me before a rite. casting a circle helps but its for outside forces. do what you FEEL is natural. books are a great reference material but not set in stone.its all about you and what you are working.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #333317 by

Yabuturtle wrote: Sometimes I had always thought people would need a whole bunch of protection just to protect themselves from outside influences but as I look more into it usually such things are not required for generally invoking or calling within. And Wiccans and Druids invoke but generally do not evoke which is more rare, complicated and requires more protection and is generally more dangerous

This statement really speaks to your novice level. You have this exactly backwards. What would ever be less dangerous about calling a spirit within your body, a form of voluntary possession, vs just working with that spirit externally? In fact Wiccans commonly evoke spirits but rarely invoke them. In the first place you have no ability to "Command" any spirit. In the second place invoking a spirit within your body in voluntary possession is a much more intimate and complicated act than just evoking a spirit to the circle. None of this work is about commanding, it is about personal will.

The spirits, if you even have the ability to get their attention with your pre-written scripts and rote actions, are not the enactors of your will. They are only a ceremonial device used to focus your will. You must then enact that yourself. And if you are a believer in The Force, as this place tends to be, that force is already within you so what need would you ever have to invoke or evoke that? It is sufficient alone for whatever you want to do. That is if you have the discipline, experience and self control to utilize it to its fullest ability. If you are absent those you will never achieve anything no matter how many spirits you poetically produce.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #333318 by
Actually no I don't have it backwards

When your calling in something it doesn't hurt to meditate to take extra precautions anyway even if it involves evoking

I spoke to a lot of wiccans and druids and read other books and hardly do they mention "Evoking" Lots of invocations though but probably because you get confused because many use them interchangeably when in fact they are different.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi