Anonymous

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 8 months ago #41206 by
Anonymous was created by
Excuse me if there already is such topic, I searched for it but haven't found anything.

You have probably heard few times about Anonymous. If not, here's a wikipedia page. That's quite a... controversial group. I look out for news of their actions from time to time with rather mixed feelings.

It is said that their next attack will be on Facebook.

Attention citizens of the world,

We wish to get your attention, hoping you heed the warnings as follows:
Your medium of communication you all so dearly adore will be destroyed. If you are a willing hacktivist or a guy who just wants to protect the freedom of information then join the cause and kill facebook for the sake of your own privacy.

Facebook has been selling information to government agencies and giving clandestine access to information security firms so that they can spy on people from all around the world. Some of these so-called whitehat infosec firms are working for authoritarian governments, such as those of Egypt and Syria.

Everything you do on Facebook stays on Facebook regardless of your “privacy” settings, and deleting your account is impossible, even if you “delete” your account, all your personal info stays on Facebook and can be recovered at any time. Changing the privacy settings to make your Facebook account more “private” is also a delusion. Facebook knows more about you than your family. http://www.physorg.com/news170614271.htmlhttp://itgrunts.com/2010/10/07/facebook-steals-numbers-and-data-from-your-iph….

You cannot hide from the reality in which you, the people of the internet, live in. Facebook is the opposite of the Antisec cause. You are not safe from them nor from any government. One day you will look back on this and realise what we have done here is right, you will thank the rulers of the internet, we are not harming you but saving you.

The riots are underway. It is not a battle over the future of privacy and publicity. It is a battle for choice and informed consent. It’s unfolding because people are being raped, tickled, molested, and confused into doing things where they don’t understand the consequences. Facebook keeps saying that it gives users choices, but that is completely false. It gives users the illusion of and hides the details away from them “for their own good” while they then make millions off of you. When a service is “free,” it really means they’re making money off of you and your information.

Think for a while and prepare for a day that will go down in history. November 5 2011, #opfacebook . Engaged.

This is our world now. We exist without nationality, without religious bias. We have the right to not be surveilled, not be stalked, and not be used for profit. We have the right to not live as slaves.

We are anonymous
We are legion
We do not forgive
We do not forget
Expect us

What do you think about it, fellow Jedi? I'd love to see your opinions.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 8 months ago #41208 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Anonymous
it's no secret that the vast majority of sites sell your information, it's an accepted risk of using the internet in my opinion. that is why you don't provide any information that you want to keep secret, it's common sense...

all my free email accounts are under false names with false addresses and numbers. the same with my free online games and everything else, there is only 1 site that has any real info on me and i'm certain that it's not selling ;)

it seems to me that this group which refers to themselves as "the rulers of the internet" are like any other "authoritarian government" that they claim to hate...if you don't tow the line and see things their way then your in the wrong and you'll pay...

as someone that was once stationed on a top secret coms base with nsa and cia branches i completely believe that there is information that should be kept secret from the public due to the effect it would have on public safety...there simply are things that we the public should not and do not need to know, no good would come from such things.

what they are talking about doing is pointless, even if they do take down facebook, other sites like it will crop up.

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 8 months ago #41210 by
Replied by on topic Re: Anonymous
Personally I know quite a bit about anonymous. I sometimes spend time on the site that they originated from, and know a fair bit about their operations and the programmes they use to commence them.

For those who don't know much there are two groups, Anonymous and Lulz Sec. Anonymous is older and larger and is more of a political movement than anything else and has attacked organisations such as Scientology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Chanology

They tend to use very simple methods to take sites down and commit internet 'terrorism'. These include attacking the Tunisian government during the Arab Spring protests, and attacking Mastercard, Visa and Paypal for their lack of support of Wikileaks.

Lulz Sec tend to just attack things because they can ad with no real ideological goals other than to just achieve what they want.

Just as a general warning, if they want to shut down Facebook then they will.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #41212 by
I can see some of the reasoning they're giving for Facebook, but I think Scientology was probably a better cause.

And MPAA/RIAA, but they didn't seem to consider them, for some reason...
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 8 months ago #41213 by
This is the first I have heard of such a group... I have always wondered if Facebook was selling info. A lot of my friends don't use Facebook, because they feel the same way as Anonymous. Me I don't care either way. My girlfriend made mine and I have nothing to hide. Whats the government going to do with someone from the lower classes address and friend list plus I don't use the same email for more than just log in purposes anyway. As far as I'm concerned if the government wants to spy they will spy there's nothing we can do about it. The only thing that bothers me about Facebook (coupled with t.v.) is it makes us docile consumers. It also keeps the majorities ambitions down most people would want to sit on Facebook all day talking about how drunk they got last night at, least that's how it is were I'm from, it was the same way for MySpace. MySpace was worse about it though because of all the adds.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 8 months ago #41222 by
Akkarin... who are these people? What is the a site were they originated from?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 8 months ago #41223 by
Nvm I found some information

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 8 months ago #41228 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Anonymous
4chan is where they come from. I wouldn't brag about regularly visiting that site though.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 8 months ago #41523 by
I regurlarly go to 4chan, however, I do not frequent the site known as /b/, the origins of Anonymous. I only go there to visit /wg/ Wallpapers and General. /b/ is not the best place in the internet. It is home of hackers, horny kids, and the occasional few people looking for lol's. They have attacked many places and people, including websites affiliated with Westboro Baptist Church, PayPal, Jessica Slaughter, Rebecca Black, and countlessw others. Like Akkarin said, if they claim that they will attack Facebook, they will. They are nothing more than internet terrorists. While the ideals that they want are good (at least in the fact that they want the first ammendment) they go about it all wrong.

I know several /b/rothers, that is how I get my information. As well as research. lol.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43638 by
I feel like anonymous is a group with good intentions, but who use force to get it. To call them terrorists is ridiculous and takes away from real acts of terrorism. They are low level hackers who like to shut down websites and deface stuff. I do stand for the same things they believe in though.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi