Lightsaber Conversion/Upgrade?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #250398 by
I usually only toy around with the collapsible lightsabers but today I went a bought a 33'' Yoda lightsaber from a DisneyStore.
I'm wondering if anyone would have any tips on how to extend the blade? maybe even make the LEDs brighter? I've seen it done with the Kylo version.

any input will be appreciated :)

(side note, here is a BYO Disney Lightsaber i've recolored )

Attachment h59dfc57.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #250443 by Gisteron
If you know what kind of LEDs are in that blade you can check their specs and see what their maximum input currents are. You will likely find that they run at about recommended specs by default and you can get them brighter by lowering the resistance wired to them. However, be well informed before you do, for often enough those cheap-o LEDs are sensitive and can break if you raise the current too high. You may also want to consider the higher heat output if you do this, and whether there is enough surface around to radiate that heat out of the blade. All electronic performance is influenced by the device's local temperature as well.
Alternatively, you can find yourself LEDs you know are brighter. Make sure to alter your circuits to match the new resulting power requirements.
As for extending the blade, I am not familiar with the particular model you speak of but from what I understand about regular toy replicas is that the LEDs are wired in parallel, sometimes in several segments of multiple parallel diodes each. So to extend the length you'll need to wire more either on top or to add more to each segment, as you personally prefer. I wouldn't bother extending the covering plastic tube though, since it is probably safer and cheaper to just replace it altogether.

Generally, TOTJO is not a lightsaber enthusiast board. If you want professional advice on this sort of thing, I recommend reading a few threads at FX Sabers . There are other places, but this is one of the biggest ones and not strictly tied to any one single custom saber manufacturer.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Gisteron.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #250590 by
Replied by on topic Lightsaber Conversion/Upgrade?

Gisteron wrote: If you know what kind of LEDs are in that blade you can check their specs and see what their maximum input currents are. You will likely find that they run at about recommended specs by default and you can get them brighter by lowering the resistance wired to them. However, be well informed before you do, for often enough those cheap-o LEDs are sensitive and can break if you raise the current too high. You may also want to consider the higher heat output if you do this, and whether there is enough surface around to radiate that heat out of the blade. All electronic performance is influenced by the device's local temperature as well.
Alternatively, you can find yourself LEDs you know are brighter. Make sure to alter your circuits to match the new resulting power requirements.
As for extending the blade, I am not familiar with the particular model you speak of but from what I understand about regular toy replicas is that the LEDs are wired in parallel, sometimes in several segments of multiple parallel diodes each. So to extend the length you'll need to wire more either on top or to add more to each segment, as you personally prefer. I wouldn't bother extending the covering plastic tube though, since it is probably safer and cheaper to just replace it altogether.

Generally, TOTJO is not a lightsaber enthusiast board. If you want professional advice on this sort of thing, I recommend reading a few threads at FX Sabers . There are other places, but this is one of the biggest ones and not strictly tied to any one single custom saber manufacturer.

I wasn't expecting this much of an answer but thanks! this is very informative :)

More
7 years 7 months ago #252162 by Leah Starspectre
I'm gonna jack this thread because I also want to upgrade mine, and I need help...

I have a ultrasabers piece and I would like to add the soundboard from my Hasbro toy saber. I've already removed the soundboard, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to add the soundboard because I only have access to the wiring from the battery pack. The LED and switch are out of reach. I MAY be able to reach the resistor if I'm very clever and dexterous. :P

Here are some pics of what I'm working with:

How much wiring I have access to

The soundboard/speaker that I want to add (if possible) - I'll be replacing those crummy wires with new ones :P

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #252173 by RyuJin
i did a sound install on that same model (aeon v.4) i installed the obsidian 3 though....but for the most part it's all the same...to install the sound you have to have access to wires for the switch...unless you want to drill another hole and have a separate switch just for sound (kinda lame that way though).....getting the switch out is a bit of a chore but can be done, they're pressed in so once you take it out you'll have to replace it, the threaded switches are better anyway...if you get the switch from thecustomsabershop.com you can get a pre-wired switch with plug and play plugs on it (makes the install so much easier)...

remove the blade, and the led should be able to come out far enough to access the wires, on mine the led was just floating inside and i had enough wire for the led to hang out of the hilt so i could cut them...looking at the soundboard you have though, you shouldn't need to wire the led to the board, it looks like you just need to run the switch wires and power wires...

to get the switch out you'll need to use pliers to grab the switch's guard and twist back and forth while pulling until it pops out...if you don't want to scratch the hilt in the process wrap some tape around the area to protect it...and make sure to measure the diameter of the switch opening before buying your switch or you'll end up with a switch either too small or too big...i wound up with one that was too big and had to bore the opening until it fit...also make sure to order the short version of the switch or the prongs may hit the other side of the hilt...

Attachment h4daa047.jpg not found

as to the op....i'm not sure what you mean by "extend the blade". but if you want to make it so you can remove the blade, they have conversions you can get, thecustomsabershop.com is a great place to start looking....personally i'm not a fan of having the leds in the blade as it makes the blade rather delicate, i prefer the led to be in the hilt...the brightest in hilt leds currently are saberforge's 12watt leds....and they have a good array of colors...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by RyuJin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Leah Starspectre

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
7 years 7 months ago #252449 by RyuJin
A better pic of the aeon switch...the soundboard I used required a momentary switch, so I went with a lighted anti vandal switch...because of the hilt design it was a real chore to install too...lol

Attachment h08b83a1.jpg not found

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leah Starspectre

More
7 years 7 months ago #252451 by Leah Starspectre
I damaged my soundboard when I was disassembling it... :P It was covered in glue, so undoing the solder was a nightmare and I ended up damaging the solder mask. I'm going to get another one this weekend and try once more...

The rest went fine, though. I was able to get the LED, switch and battery pack out of the Aeon without any issues.

Does the type of switch matter when using a soundboard? I'm pretty sure the one in the toy saber is also a momentary switch, but the one that comes on the Aeon is a maintained one? As you can probably tell, I'm VERY new to electronics, lol!

More
7 years 7 months ago #252484 by Gisteron
Yes, the switch type does matter. Depending on circuitry it can mean the difference between having a functional saber and a fried board.
On that note, I highly recommend going for a dedicated lightsaber soundboard manufacturer. Here is why:
When I look around ebay I find the Force FX boards going in a $25 to $60 range. They are gigantic and fragile boards with often unknown parts, according to your prior experience also often encased in a plastic module that is a pain to remove. They are also always designed for LED strips rather than in-hilt illumination, poor motion detection and a single hard-coded sound font.
Compare that, if you will, with, say, a Plecter Labs Nano Biscotte, currently at €54 (so, admittedly, a little more solidly on the $60 side): Well under an inch in width, coming with a huge data sheet and wiring instructions with all the specs you may need or want, designed to power single-dye high power LEDs around the 3W mark, out of the box superior motion detection, albeit not a perfect one and, most importantly, has a micro-SD socket where you can not only mix and store your own sound font but also tweak almost every relevant technical spec. Oh, and unlike for a disassembled licensed toy, you actually have warranties, customer support and repair services.
Now there are definitely cheaper alternatives if you are savvy with hardware programming (Arduino solutions are unpopular, but extremely powerful in that regard) and perhaps better ones, too. All I'm saying is that with Hasbro parts you pay for the novelty. Their sabers come in limited runs and only few of them get to hardcore enough enthusiasts' hands to be disassembled - surely an expensive endeavour in itself, seeing how little one usually gets out of a previously perfectly functional toy. So you don't really pay for convenience or for service; you pay instead for how expensive the full toy used to be when the board wouldn't be worth 30 even if it came with provided specs.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #252487 by
Replied by on topic Lightsaber Conversion/Upgrade?
Just popping my head in to second the 'quality products' comment, as I'm currently building one myself, and have put in a ton of research / testing / comparison.

In short, when buying sound boards go with Plecter Labs. Only buy directly from them, or from their partner TCSS (The Custom Saber Shop) to ensure you're getting a quality product direct from the inventors, and not a knockoff.

The Crystal Focus Saber Core™ V8.0 is the current creme of the crop, but the Nano Biscotte™ V3.0 are great, solid boards as well.

Also in regards to Leah, it does matter, as you want to ensure the switch can handle the connected electronics and is quality / doesn't break with simple use. Take a look at the TCSS selection of switches here , you can even get illuminated ones! :woohoo:

If you have any specific questions about these, or other sound boards, or Lightsabers in general, please feel free to ask!
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by .

More
7 years 7 months ago #252513 by Gisteron
The kind of currents you'd expect to run through a lightsaber switch are inconsequential to just about anything you'd buy for that purpose. There is little you can do to break the switch unless you wire it in a short circuit to your battery or whatever. It's the onboard circuits that can break or at least fail to give you the expected/desired result if you pick the wrong switch though. So make sure you know what you need.
In fact, as with any other crafting project, do spend more time planning than doing, or so would be my advice anyway. Trial and error is more frustrating because it is expensive. Paper isn't. Have a wiring diagram, measurements of all the distances (and thus minimal wire lengths), have a clear idea of the order you want to solder things in. Do read up on middle school electronics so you can calculate what simple and cheap parts (accent LEDs, resistors, etc.) you need, obtain data sheets for every complex and expensive part you are going to use, take all the information you need for full, and I do mean full, confidence in what you are doing. I'm not saying it can't be done with less rigor, just that the more ridiculously obsessive and finicky it looks before you start, the less there'll probably be to regret when you're done.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi