Paleo & Functional Fitness

More
6 years 5 months ago #305031 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Paleo & Functional Fitness

OB1Shinobi wrote:
The term "functional" is being thrown around a lot. The original "Functional Patterns" movement was a specific fitness philosophy and protocol that was founded by a guy named Naudi Aguilar. And fyi, they pretty much blast relentlessly on how stupid crossfit is lol. Ironically, Functional Patterns is known to be just as cultish as CF, though it doesn't have the same reputation for being dangerous (as far as I know).

Interesting, I thought functional was a blend of compound with job/task focus ie functional training being training in your job using exercise methodology, such that techniques and equipment were specific to improving that task capability.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #305033 by OB1Shinobi

Adder wrote:

OB1Shinobi wrote:
The term "functional" is being thrown around a lot. The original "Functional Patterns" movement was a specific fitness philosophy and protocol that was founded by a guy named Naudi Aguilar. And fyi, they pretty much blast relentlessly on how stupid crossfit is lol. Ironically, Functional Patterns is known to be just as cultish as CF, though it doesn't have the same reputation for being dangerous (as far as I know).

Interesting, I thought functional was a blend of compound with job/task focus ie functional training being training in your job using exercise methodology, such that techniques and equipment were specific to improving that task capability.

The fitness industry is weird, man, lol. Once something new gets a name that people recognize, there will be ten thousand others who come along to capitalize on it. In those groups of jonny-come-lately's, there will usually be a few people who really are on to something and are producing quality products. Variations on and evolutions of the original idea. I think that's whats happened with the "functional' movement. There will be some who are consciously integrating Aguilar's work into their own, (perhaps with his consent, perhaps not) and some others who got on board the train without really knowing where it started, but who are making the best of what theyve found.
So I wouldn't discount the potential for quality without actually looking at the specific product. Only be mindful that of course there are the inevitable straight up mercenaries lol who just want to capitalize on a recognized or cool sounding name in order to sell their own (often not very good) programs. Those people suck, lol.

Again, I was never really into the "functional" movement and I'm only reporting what I think is accurate based on my observations from the outside. YMMV!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #305041 by OB1Shinobi
Actually i do have one more thing to offer on "functional" training: deadlifts, squats, overhead press, even bicep curls ARE functional! Lol

If you can squat +300 lbs (which if youre a guy you will probably be able to do in your first year or two yrs if you stay consistent, eat right, and recover properly) you can carry your daughter up on your shoulders for days, and your girlfriend or wife for, well, for as long as youd need to or would be expected to, anyway. A deadlift is nothing more than picking something heavy up off the ground lol thats about as functional as it gets. Bicep curls are great for carrying heavy items (or people) in your arms. Lunges are just an exaggerated walking pattern, overhead pressing is putting something heavy on a shelf or taking it down. Bench press is getting through a door or pushing some heavy item out of the way. Pushing a car is going to be a blend of OHP and bench and squats or lunges. Pulling an item to you, maybe walking an excited dog or something lol we call that "rows".

The idea that someone who can bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press, row, and do pullups and lunges isnt strong in a functional way is just silly: OF COURSE someone who can do those things is functionally strong lol, thats what the exercises are for in the first place. If you throw in "core" work and some legit cardio, id say that person is functionally prepared to go into BEAST MODE whenever necessary.

Im not saying that "functional training" isnt good. If youre into working out then i say whatever youre excited about, go for it! Im exfited for you. Im only saying that the traditional lifts and programs are plenty useful for building "functional" strength.
But this is just my opinion and again, i encourage you to go and do whatever you prefer: be strong in whatever context you enjoy!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #306701 by
Replied by on topic Paleo & Functional Fitness
The Paleo diet and lifestyle does work wonders, fat will literally melt off faster than you can blink an eye and you will feel good and healthy day in and day out. Of course I am only speaking of my own and my wife's experience. One great web site that I consult is www.marksdailyapple.com/. This individual is a former endurance athlete. I cannot say this is good for everyone but it has worked wonders for me.

My workouts are mainly calisthenics with kettlebells, sandbags and other odd lifting. Whatever works for you and that you stick with is the best I say.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi