Bad Days

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #285822 by
Bad Days was created by
I saw the movie Logan again the other day and something mentioned in the movie grabbed my attention more so than the first time I saw it.

Logan and his new friend Will are walking out between Will's corn crops as he mentions that the stuff tastes like crap.

Logan: Why do people eat it.
Will: They don't. They drink it. Corn syrup. To stay awake, cheer up, feel strong, sexy, whatever. Used to be a time when a bad day was just a bad day.

This seems concerning simply because it's true. I'm no hypocrite in this sense, because the things Will mentioned, I do, so I can't preach to people and tell them to do as I say, not as I do. But it worries me. Are we poisoning ourselves just to keep every day a good day? Wake up when we really need sleep, be strong when we are actually weak, be happy when we should actually be sad.

It's debatable. Hence this post.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #285836 by
Replied by on topic Bad Days

Streen wrote: be strong when we are actually weak

To be strong when we are actually weak is what makes one a warrior. A Jedi, one could argue, emulates the spirit of the warrior in many ways. From perfecting their life, doing their best in all things, and continuously striving towards the best version of themselves.

Streen wrote: Wake up when we really need sleep

I'll be honest, if I stayed asleep as long as I needed to, I’d never wake up. ;)

Streen wrote: be happy when we should actually be sad

I don’t know anyone who will be happy when they should actually be sad. When one should be sad, they should be sad. There has to be a reason for it. Sometimes one has to be strong when they are actually weak, but one should never deny themselves being sad when the time calls for it.

(Sub note, Logan was awesome :D)

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #285840 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Bad Days

I don’t know anyone who will be happy when they should actually be sad. When one should be sad, they should be sad. There has to be a reason for it. Sometimes one has to be strong when they are actually weak, but one should never deny themselves being sad when the time calls for it.

being sad hurts. Avoidance is a popular technique.

Heck, it's mostly what keeps the economy going - Don't be sad, buy something!

Anyway, I assume this topic is more about using alcohol than say, drinking Cola (which the good people at Coca Cola would have you believe will make you happy, strong, and sexy. Drink Cola! It's refreshing and Delicious!)

I could be wrong?

In either case - I don't imbibe as a rule. (People in the chat will remember a few weeks back when I did imbibe for a few days :P - I was medicating against pain, which I decided I wasn't going to be any worse off by not experiencing to it's full extent),so y'know, I'm not above a little poison...)
But otherwise - If you *need* to take something (Cola or whatever) to keep your head on every day, and use it to help deny yourself your experiences - then arguably, yes you have a problem.

Is it better than you manage your problem through your choice of poisons, or see a doctor and they give you different mind altering drugs in foil packages? That's a personal choice I guess.

At least three of the sixteen Teachings would you have confront your mind, rather than medicate it - and probably two of the tenets.

So, for the Jedi answer - Probably embrace your emotions and thoughts as they occur, but understand and analyse and act on them as is appropriate.

For what it is worth, I drink copious amounts of coffee. I honestly have no idea how much of the benefit is from the ingredients in Coffee, and how much is from the ritual of making a cup of coffee and sitting and sipping it.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Kobos,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi