'Block Thread' Button?

More
4 years 8 months ago #341717 by Brick
'Block Thread' Button? was created by Brick

steamboat28 wrote: This thread is a prime example of why we need to move to a forum framework that has a "block" or "ignore" function for posts. Every time I come into this Temple and find the same 3 people consistently being jerks for the lulz, it completely derails any kind of legitimacy this b.s. NRM has or hopes to have in the future.

Temple, handle your nonsense or quit pretending to be what you're obviously not.

Whilst it's usually only on a technical level that Steam and I disagree on things, I have to say that I'm 100% in agreement with him on this one.

I'm no Computer Whizz, but is there a way of introducing a button which allows users to effectively block a thread from their view? I kind of think that it would solve a lot of our issues

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #341743 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic 'Block Thread' Button?
I disagree. We don't need a block button. A block button hides part of reality. If someone doesn't want to see a thread they should use their own button. It's called discipline... restraint. No, not everyone here is a Jedi Master. But even guests, coming to TOTJO, should have some expectation of this place being ours and running by our rules. We have threads that are already hidden from the general public. If they're participating then they're asking to see it. If they join us then they're asking to see more. I think everyone needs to exercise caution and self-control. If we give people a way, a button, where they don't have to exercise these things its like giving them a button where they can just turn off being a Jedi. Because why learn things you don't ever have to actually use?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Kobos, Brick

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #341748 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic 'Block Thread' Button?
I entirely agree with what you're saying too to be honest Zealot. I'm just sick of threads getting derailed by people who lack the discipline and restraint that you speak of. Its stifling the discussions here.

At least this button could reduce that from happening

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
4 years 8 months ago #341757 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic 'Block Thread' Button?

Brick wrote: I entirely agree with what you're saying too to be honest Zealot. I'm just sick of threads getting derailed by people who lack the discipline and restraint that you speak of. Its stifling the discussions here.

At least this button could reduce that from happening

I feel you. But I also think these interactions help us learn how to deal with these interactions. How do you handle someone who is disruptive? Does a Jedi always call the forum cops? Or should we also learn how to debate effectively, try to de-escalate, not feed into it too much, understand and account for different personality types, etc. etc.? Us giving them an easy button would be a kind of easy button for us as well because it would use technology to unnaturally remove conflict instead of dealing with that conflict as Jedi. But do I feel you and understand where you're coming from? Absolutely. But I think our frustrations are part of what we should work on.

There is no passion, there is serenity
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Brick

More
4 years 8 months ago #341761 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic 'Block Thread' Button?
Well said Zealot

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi