26 Replies 181 Views
emo
Category: Open Discussions
Topic started 22 Aug 2015 20:07 by TheDude
34 Replies 290 Views
116 Topics
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Jedi in Turkey (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Someone asked if there were any Jedi in Turkey, so is anyone here from Turkey?
    • Addiction Check-In Thread (Last post by rugadd)
    • I think I am borderline alcoholic. I didn't think I was that bad until last night when I told myself I needed a night off to recover, and then convinced myself I could have one, and then without much thought I poured another...
    • The law of Sin? Or the Law of man? (Last post by Gisteron)
    • I may indeed be a little harsh on purpose, though rest assured that I meant it. If somebody offers their opinion, that's fine and the gentleman said that this is what they are and I responded to them as such. If however they also said they did some research and they know they didn't, I don't feel bad for calling it out. And this is not something obscure, mind you, we're talking about the ten commandments here, no less, one of the best known codes in the western world. It doesn't take a lot of research to make sure to at least phrase them correctly. And yes, that was what I was referring to, about the bad advice. I like the giving to the poor bit, but this passage implies that the fellow sell all his posessions (and in other places the all part appears also) and follow Jesus, and the motivations for this are two-fold: You'd be perfect if you did it and you'd get great treasures after you die. If this was good advice, it would need no attempted coercion. And it can only be good advice if you are already living in the last days and that is an assumption not quite backed up in either the book or by any of the other generations that thought that the end was nigh because of said book.
    • Hell: An ancient myth or, a factual spiritual pris... (Last post by Streen)
    • Quote: Is it anything like the movie? (one of my favorites) Despite Steamboat's response, the book is actually much better than the movie. The plot is similar, but is supposedly a "true" story. It's difficult to say what the book really is, but it is thought-provoking, and not nearly as hollywood as the movie.
    • The Force (Last post by Streen)
    • I wouldn't say you derailed the thread. You just took it to a more relevant aspect. It would seem that "visions" (however you choose to define that word) are not uncommon. In my own case I've been trying very hard to translate them, though they come and go so fast that it's nearly impossible. Cryo, you might find comfort in your visions if you try to focus on one particular image and figure out what it means. You might be getting information and you don't realize it :unsure:
    • climate change (Last post by ZenJo)
    • Many animal and plant species have adapted to the rise of industial humanity by adapting traits to combat human presence and pollution. The example of the Peppered Moth is often given by evolutionary scientists. So I predict that animals and plants will fair better than we might expect in the coming climate change through their ability to adapt. At the same time, of course, many species may not survive the changes. However, I have to wonder about how modern humans will adapt to climate change. I believe that our ancestors, if placed in our current predicament, might fair better than modern humanity. Ancient humans seemed to have deeper connection to the Earth in their culture and way of life. But our modern world seems to have lost quite a bit of that connection. How many times have I seen someone throw McDonald's bags out their car window even though they are only a few miles from their house and a garbage can? Or people who throw their cigarette butts on the ground right beside the cigarette disposal bin? Or companies that STILL find ways to illegally dump chemical waste? If so many of us can't be trusted to prevent pollution and take climate change seriously, how can we be trusted to adapt to the changing world we have created? If climate changes become more severe, crops will not produce as high of yields. Recent studies have showns rises in drought which leads to food and water scarcity. I admit that many politicians worldwide have used the climate change issue to win votes. In doing so, they destroy the credibility of legit scientists who are actually doing something productive. I don't think we are neccesarily facing an "end-of-the-world" scenario, but hopefully it will be an end to laziness and apathy when the effects of climate change become more severe. One thing that has me bothered is all the stories I have been hearing in the news in recent years of tons of fish, whales, and sharks washing up dead on beaches. In each of the stories, I never hear scientists make any conclusive statements as to the cause of death. Is it Fukishima radiation? Underwater volcanoes? Changes in water temperature?
    • Examples of Deep, Knightly-Virtuous Truths, Learne... (Last post by Dessel761)
    • "You step outside, you risk your life. You take a drink of water, you risk your life. And nowadays you breathe, and you risk your life. Every moment now... you don't have a choice. The only thing you can choose is what you're risking it for. Now, I can make these people feel better and hang on a little bit longer. I can save lives. And that's enough reason to risk mine." —Hershel to his daughter Maggie and Rick Grimes, regarding the situation in the prison with the flu and how he could help the ailing people
    • Thandie Newton & Watts (Last post by Dessel761)
    • I was watching TED talks on vulnerability and shame from another thread. As I started branching out from those topics I came across this: www.ted.com/talks/thandie_newton_embraci...cing_myself#t-821483 I must say that this short video fits nicely with the teachings of Watts and The Book. There are similar ideas presented in both that I feel have helped to enhance my understanding of what Watts is saying.
    • Empathy and Sympathy: The Difference (Last post by Dessel761)
    • Quote: If you like that, than you might like this too. Very great talk on vulnerability including info on empathy vs sympathy. www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability?language=en That was a great talk and this was one a year later goes hand in hand: www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_listening_to_shame#t-1209647
    • Current Weightloss (Last post by Metsu Desal)
    • Hello TOTJO! So been a while since I posted anything but I figured I would share something with you. This is my current weightloss, I'm eating healthier and exercising 5 times a week for at least an hour and loving it, wondering if there's any other ToTJO Jedi that are currently losing weight and / or have lost weight? Some noticeable benefits - I can wrap a towel around my waist when I get out the shower - Clothes fit more comfortably than tight - People are giving me lots of praise - People are treating me nicer and my mood is higher [image]

There are 513 visitors, 9 guests and 38 members online (one in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Grom Fett, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Shadouness, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, Kitsu Tails, Sven One, Connor L., Adhara, Gisteron, Proteus, V-Tog, Slydogstags, isisinabi, rugadd, Metsu Desal, Whyte Horse, Llama Su, Kamizu, Edan, Calanon, Cabur Senaar, Cristris_Jons, SeventhSL, Goken, Rocda, MrBruno, OB1Shinobi, CryojenX, Tellahane, herbalc, Corsair Gorscue, HeirOfLight, Vigebo, Mikhael, insanebey, Twelve.

Follow Us