Prayer Beads

More
6 months 1 week ago #374504 by Cornilion Seadragon
I was wondering what other people thoughts are about creating or using a set of prayer beads on the Jedi path. I know at least a few in the Temple have already undertaken this, and I thought it'd be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts and ideas. This includes not only the physical layout, but what might say, do, and/or meditate on with each bead.

I'll start with some terminology so we can effectively communicate our ideas and understand each other. These may not be the best terms (and perhaps new terms can be proposed that better match these concepts to Jedi ideology), but for now they can serve as a universal lexicon that we all have to reference.

Prayer beads: a string of beads where each bead represents a prayer/mantra that one recites, using the beads to keep track of where they are.
Mala: a set of 96 beads (traditionally) and one guru bead, where the same mantra is repeated 96 times, once for each bead, concluding at the guru bead which is noticeably different
Chaplet: a circular string of beads broken up into multiple groupings (call sets) of beads that has specific prayers or intentions attached to each bead.
Set: a group of beads within a larger chaplet
Rosary: a specific chaplet, made of up of introductory prayers, 5 sets of beads (called decades, because they have 10 beads), and concluding prayers. There are also bookend prayers at the beginning of each decade.
Mystery: An overall topic or idea to meditate on throughout a single set of a chaplet
Theme: (a word I pulled out of thin air for this): An overall theme for an entire chaplet that is broken down into individual mysteries
Congregation: A group of people using a chaplet together
Call/Response: Two parts of an individual prayer or mantra when used in a congregation. The first part (the call) is said by the leader, and the second part (the response) is said by the full congregation. For short mantras the call might just be the first couple words. For long prayers, it might be the first sentence or two. This allows the leader to set the pace and everyone to stay in unison.

One of the things I like about the rosary in particular (and a reason I think it's probably the most popular chaplet) is that it has different mysteries to reflect on during each set. There's a specific prayer to recite for each bead that is fairly repetitive but gives the mind an anchor while having larger ideas to reflect on throughout each set. it also has multiple themes, so one can reflect on different topics each day (there are currently 4 themes, each with 5 mysteries within them, giving 20 topics of reflection throughout the week)

I'll kick the conversation off with a couple of my own thoughts. First, I really like the idea of sets with different mysteries to reflect on (and even different themes). Making Jedi meditation beads that follow a journey or story seems really fitting, perhaps mapped along the phases of the hero's journey, with each phase being one set. I'm not sure if it's better to use five phases (Call to Adventure, Road of Trials, Allies and Mentors, the Abyss, and the Triumphant Return... not sure I got all those right, someone please correct me) or the 12 phases that get used a lot today (Ordinary World, Call to Adventure, Refusal of Call, Meeting the Mentor, Crossing the Threshold, Tests, Allies, Enemies, The Approach, The Ordeal, Reward, Road Back, Resurrection, Return with the Elixir, and back to the Ordinary World). These sets don't necessarily need to be the same length, and perhaps each could be designed to reflect on a related lessons or doctrine points. Alternatively, I could see having several sets and each set was basically walking through this progression of the hero's journey while reflecting on a different topic and applying it in a different light.

I kind of like the idea of the themes being lines of the Code or perhaps each of the three tenets: One day, go through the entire chaplet contemplating how it applies to focus, the next day do it again thinking of knowledge, then the next day do it again thinking about wisdom, or something like that.

Finally, I thought it might be interesting to have at least one set someone that progresses through the seven chakras. The emotions tied to each of these chakras, as well as the many other associations make them a really good progression to work through for self-reflection and arriving at some sense of inner peace.

I haven't given much thought yet to what mantras one might use through the entire thing, or which point of the doctrine would pair with each step of the Hero's Journey, etc. but I figure this makes an interesting starting point.

What are some ways others have put together or used Jedi prayer beads or what thoughts do others have on any of this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serenity Amyntas, Stormyone

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi