Is avoiding certain food help you achieve better Mediation?

More
8 years 8 months ago #201311 by Eleven
Some experts believe avoiding meats, eating a vegan diet and not eating GMOs helps have a better Mediation life. Is anyone seen this to be a proven fact?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #201313 by
I don't know anything about GMOs (in fact I've seen stuff that suggests there is no scientific/medical reason to believe it is harmful to eat), but I certainly feel a lot better on a vegetarian diet. Then again, "feeling good" isn't exactly proven fact. I think the current idea around eating meat is that it should be well-cooked (little to no redness) and should be balanced (as opposed to the dominant part of the meal).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #201314 by
I have not read any studies that confirm this as fact.

In my own practice, I find an empty stomach (minimum of two hours before meditation) to be most conducive to meditation and energy work. When the body is digesting, your energies are doing all sorts of weird things, and the distortion in your blood sugar can alter the ability to work with your energies because you feel differently. You get a little "high", a little bit more sedated... Energy work requires intense focus and clarity. Now, eating a handful of nuts before meditation? Maybe perfect. Each body is different.

I prefer to work energy and meditation without food in me. Otherwise, my body is doing all sorts of things and it is easy to get distracted.

I know that wasn't the direction you were hoping for. I do not think the "kinds" of food you eat matters... Moreso when you eat them in relation to practice.

More
8 years 8 months ago #201319 by Adder
Probably yes, but it might not matter for beginners so much!? Avoiding things which irritate your immune system and gut might mean its easier to meditate, and that might include slow digesting things such as meats. It takes awhile for food to pass through the pipeworks downstairs, and carrying 'poop' around is probably a bit irritating for your system, forcing excess toxins etc to be shuffled into body fat. Some of the stringent spiritual Yoga paths do seem to require empty stomach and empty bowels. These are doing Yoga as an adjunct to meditation and I think they are seeking a closer connection to their body which could be facilitated by a calmer and cleaner digestive system perhaps. I dunno about GMO though... depends on the impact the mods have to the body perhaps.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
8 years 8 months ago #201332 by Cyan Sarden

Sven One wrote: Some experts believe avoiding meats, eating a vegan diet and not eating GMOs helps have a better Mediation life. Is anyone seen this to be a proven fact?

I believe that eating in moderation is the key to good bodily and mental health. Eating too much sugar can kick your mind into racing mode - which isn't good for meditation. Obviously, drinking alcohol really isn't good for meditation. Those are the two I have direct experience with.

I've never heard that switching to a completely vegan diet will have a beneficial effect on the mind. As far as I know, the brain needs an ample amount of animal protein to work properly. That said - I recently read in an article about Alzheimer's research that certain meats are better for the brain than others - fish and chicken are great, red meats not as much.

I have two vegans in my family and both are in and out of the hospital constantly because of malnutrition issues. A lot of vegan food products contain a worrisome amount of chemicals and sugar to make up for the ingredients that were left away - so if you choose to eat vegan, you really need to dedicate yourself to this, do your research, cook food yourself (rather than buying replacement cheese, replacement meat, replacement milk, replacement this or that) and schedule regular checkups with your doctor, at least initially, to make sure your body can take it. Anything your body can't take will not be good for meditation.

Generally speaking: mens sana in corpore sano. Keep your body healthy and you'll also keep your mind healthy.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

More
8 years 8 months ago #201338 by J. K. Barger
"To practice amidst distraction while remaining unmoved, one has achieved mastery..."

Body types and the fuel they run on are extremely varied- almost infinitely varied if you want to go that far. I've seen experienced practitioners run the gamut of Taco Bell to a 6-pack and still make it to the cushion- so I'm sure food types and amounts really don't have too much to do with meditation per-se, but for the novice such things are easily identifiable if they are cnsistent with their practice.

Personally, I like to eat a little something; it doesn't really matter what in particular, as long as it doesn't make me fart or my insides gurgle. :woohoo: Stinky foods aren't great either- I had a sardine sandwhich once right before zen and smelled fish oil the whole time!! :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

The Force is with you, always.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #201340 by
I'm not sure about types of foods but yesterday I tried to meditate on an empty stomach and it did not go well. All I thought about was what I was going to have for dinner. On the other hand I have also tried to meditate while very very full. Also not a great plan. Balance, like with all things, balance.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #201367 by OB1Shinobi
yes
eating habbits affect everything, mental functioning included
there is some slight variability among individuals - exactly how much this variability is about being in touch with whats going on in ones body compared to how is about being hardy or tough,i dont know. but people more sensitive to whats going on with their bodies are going to be more aware of how foods affect them

also, young people tend not to be as aware
i never was
and i believe it was partly because the effects of food werent as pronounced but also i believe i just wasnt paying attention - i think thats pretty normal

as far as exactly what any person should eat, all i want to say here is eat healthy

for like 90% of people, if you make a serious effort to eat totally healthy for three months, when that time is up you will notice the difference in how you feel after eating certain foods, which will include congititive proccessing

and
i dont want to hijack the thread with this but i want to comment on the gmo thing because i feel it is important: i want to point out that monsanto has a long track record (by "long track record" i mean it goes back for generations) of causing large amounts of sickness and death, even among its own employees, of knowing that they are doing it and lying about doing it, and continuing to do it andlie about it and seemingly not making any effort whatsoever to reduce the harm they are causing

again, they have done this even when it was their own people dying of cancers developed as a result of working for them

now, besides the very weird and inherently unpredictable nature (NATURE LoL) of splicing a gene from some exotic fungus into that of a tomato, and assuming this is safe, without actually testing it

which gmos really never were tested, not seriously;
the best test theyve been given is that they were secretly introduced into the food supply of multiple nations,
but this probably wasnt done with any kind of scientific control, so, good luck getting actionable date

and the fact that the law was deliberately manipulated and (yes, manipulated is an appropriate word) to prevent labeling, that every effort was made to keep the conversation about gmos off the table, such as all kinds of law suits and general intimidation tactics

besides the weirdness of gmos in and of itself, when a company thats known for killing people starts tampering with the genetic structure of food and then does everything they can to prevent anyone from knowing whats going on, including lawsuits and intimidation tactics, while feeding this food to as many people as possible, imo, the right way to view this situation is with, to be mild, a substantial dose of skepticism

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , J. K. Barger

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #201376 by
So I realized I didn't answer the second part of your question about meditation.

I find that eating or not eating depends on what you eat and when. If I were to eat a pizza right before meditation, I might not be able to concentrate because my belly is so full that I'd be more likely fall asleep. If I eat a bowl of dry cereal (can't stand soggy cereal), I'd probably be fine because it isn't going to make me feel bloated or give me that full-stomach sleepiness. I don't really think GMOs have much to do with this (I'm pretty sure you could eat a banana, which is a GMO fruit, and you'd be fine).

More
8 years 8 months ago #201411 by Eleven

Cyan Sarden wrote:

Sven One wrote: Some experts believe avoiding meats, eating a vegan diet and not eating GMOs helps have a better Mediation life. Is anyone seen this to be a proven fact?

I believe that eating in moderation is the key to good bodily and mental health. Eating too much sugar can kick your mind into racing mode - which isn't good for meditation. Obviously, drinking alcohol really isn't good for meditation. Those are the two I have direct experience with.

I've never heard that switching to a completely vegan diet will have a beneficial effect on the mind. As far as I know, the brain needs an ample amount of animal protein to work properly. That said - I recently read in an article about Alzheimer's research that certain meats are better for the brain than others - fish and chicken are great, red meats not as much.

I have two vegans in my family and both are in and out of the hospital constantly because of malnutrition issues. A lot of vegan food products contain a worrisome amount of chemicals and sugar to make up for the ingredients that were left away - so if you choose to eat vegan, you really need to dedicate yourself to this, do your research, cook food yourself (rather than buying replacement cheese, replacement meat, replacement milk, replacement this or that) and schedule regular checkups with your doctor, at least initially, to make sure your body can take it. Anything your body can't take will not be good for meditation.

Generally speaking: mens sana in corpore sano. Keep your body healthy and you'll also keep your mind healthy.

Thank you. I never planned to go vegan just research from so called "seers" of mediation have said. The last four five months I have been prepare all my foods raw meats, vegetables, straight water, with my cup of green tea in the morning of course but, I gave been drinking my no super, low carb energy drinks which, I am kind of ashamed to admit I broke that habit and now trying to get off them again. I feel like theyre not good for you but, I like the caffeine effect especially for thi se wonderful 4 am shifts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi