LuCrae's Question in Another Thread

More
8 years 11 months ago #192927 by Alethea Thompson
Split from the thread about the article in the Guardian recently.

LuCrae Jiddu wrote:
Let's expand and allow for the discussion. What questions or principles do you believe would be necessary for an all encompassing definition or doctrine of Jediism Alethea Thompson?

I suspect if we broaden our definition large enough that many of the members here would agree. However, would this broadening detract from the philosophy in any way?

I think we can hammer it down to something simple:

1) Do you believe in "the Force"?
2) Do you believe that by following the Jedi Code you can obtain inner balance?
3) Do you believe in helping others in some capacity?
4) Do you believe in self-improvement mentally, physically and spiritually?
5) Do you believe it is possible for anyone to become a Jedi?
6) Do you agree to incorporate all of these into your lifestyle?

If you can answer "yes" to all of these questions, and you are sincere about it, then you are a Jedi.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192946 by
I would say that those are broad enough to fit lots of people while still specific enough to Jedi that someone who doesn't consider themselves a Jedi wouldn't be able to say yes to all of them. I think it'd be hard to find people here who don't agree to all of those things.

I especially like number 5. Acceptance is one of the main things I love about Jediism.

I'm not suggesting that we make those the definition of Jediism, but I personally see it as an acceptable one for me. :)

More
8 years 11 months ago #192950 by Edan
I may not be popular in this regard, but I don't think the code is necessary. I very rarely think about it, preferring the creed myself.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #192953 by
As the original thread, and more specifically your comment, was the purpose of the questions, I'd like to broaden even further. What questions or statements would anyone else add or feel are left out? What questions do each of you not relate to? (ie Edan's distance from the code, not a bad thing might I add)

Alethea, I do not mean to attack you with malice. Your original comment was about only one way of viewing Jediism and I would like to explore this idea. Is there only one way? If so, what are the necessary components? If not, why? What are the dividing lines that separate views of Jediism?

The other thread turned negative. I think this may have been a perception of attack upon the all encompassing and all inclusive nature of the TotJO. While I may or may not agree with you Alethea, I do appreciate your willingness to discuss. My hope is that this thread does not stumble down the same black hole of protectionist rigidity.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by . Reason: Inclusive, not exclusive. Thanks Apple...

More
8 years 11 months ago #192954 by Alethea Thompson
I'm not particularly fond of the code's style, but what the spirit of each line says is something I can agree with (I just think it should have been written better so there was no confusion on lines like "there is no emotion, there is peace" :laugh: ). :)

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

More
8 years 11 months ago #192956 by Edan
Well, the code wasn't written for 'us'... while I can see its value I find it's general vagueness unhelpful.

I have, before now, even questioned whether belief in 'the Force' is necessary... but perhaps that's another question entirely.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Jestor,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192957 by
How much does any of this really matter?

More
8 years 11 months ago #192958 by Edan

Akkarin wrote: How much does any of this really matter?

It doesn't really... none of us are going to change our opinion of Jediism if what we do works for us... it could just make for an interesting discussion.

The following user(s) said Thank You: , Jestor, ,

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #192959 by Alethea Thompson

LuCrae Jiddu wrote: Alethea, I do not mean to attack you with malice.

No need to clarify, I enjoy a good discussion ^^.

LuCrae Jiddu wrote: Your original comment was about only one way of viewing Jediism and I would like to explore this idea. Is there only one way? If so, what are the necessary components? If not, why? What are the dividing lines that separate views of Jediism?

I think that there is a wrong way to view the Jedi Path. A lot of people look at it and they say "because I believe in 'the Force', I am a Jedi". That's a very small part of the equation. The Sith also believe in "the Force", does that make them Jedi? Of course not. Does that make them (real life Sith) evil? Not at all. It's just another way of viewing life and how to execute their own journey. Which brings up another concept- if everyone is working on living their lives to the best of their ability, does that make the Hero's Journey exclusive to the Jedi Path?

As long as you are moving forward, and not stagnating (that is to say, you aren't curled up in a back alley about to commit suicide right this moment) you're living in accordance with your own hero's journey. Whether or not you gain anything out of it is up to you to choose and make happen. But it's still living the hero's journey, you're somewhere on that path either stuck in a particular phase or consistently moving forward in it. Your life might be cut short before you fully live it, or when you reach the end of it, you might die at the peak ready to return to "the Force" in whatever capacity you believe the afterlife takes (or doesn't take).

Is there one way to view the Jedi Path? The question was meant to open the door to see if people could accept that maybe they already live the Jedi Path in accordance with the views that others have, and if they didn't perhaps they could open their minds to the idea that it's not a bad idea to see the merit in looking at the way someone else views the Jedi Path and see if they can incorporate it into their lives- while still moving forward in how they live the Jedi Path.

That is to say, instead of saying:

Randi believes that a Jedi should defend others, Randi won't bend from that view. That's non-sense, just because the Jedi in the movie fought in wars doesn't mean all Jedi should. It's not practical.

You could meet Randi half-way and think outside of the box:

Randi believes that a Jedi should defend others, Randi won't bend from that view. I work in a fast food restaurant, is there anything I can do that could defend my co-workers? Or maybe I can find a project that helps defend my neighborhood from criminals?

LuCrae Jiddu wrote: My hope is that this thread does not stumble down the same black hole of protectionist rigidity.

Me too :)

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Alethea Thompson.

More
8 years 11 months ago #192960 by Alethea Thompson
I should add, that some of it might not be practical. For example, I know some Jedi that believe you should be some sort of mystic to be a Jedi. If what the other person says is not practical AT ALL, then nix it. But at least think about it as a possibility rather than writing it off immediately because it doesn't fit how you currently live. :)

I mean, I guess you could satisfy the mystic requirement by meditating on problems rather than just finding yourself meditating to meditate?

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi