video games - a new way to play

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 day ago #190923 by
I am inspired to share a new way that i am using playing video games to help me on my Jedi Path.

I find that video games are generally designed to stimulate a variety of "intense" emotional responses. They trigger Dopamine, adrenaline and other biological responses. Emotions can be attached to the game. People get angry and frustrated whilst playing. In general, I do my best to avoid these responses to things. I generally avoid caffiane and other stimulants. I do my best to remain calm cool and collected. But unless I test this "calm" state, who do I know that it will hold during a moment of intensity?

So now I am using video games to reprogram my response to such simultaneous. The game is still interesting and fun for me but I am reducing my frustration around "dying", staring over, and having is crash....etc.

I am working on being in a meditative state whilst playing. I am creating the state that I prefer to be in when there is pressure or intensity.

I can feel calmness replacing frustration. I can feel interest replacing anxiety.

for now, I am using video games as a Jedi trial of spirit - can I play a game with ease?

What do you think?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 day ago - 9 years 1 day ago #190925 by OB1Shinobi
i think people can play their whole life this way

i think thats what being a jedi is, to a great extent

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 1 day ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 day ago - 9 years 1 day ago #190928 by
Replied by on topic video games - a new way to play
Interesting, baru, and a good exercise. :)

How well this idea works also depends on what kind of videogames you play. I typically play classic point-and-click adventure games, which are driven by strong narratives and rely on character interaction and the creative use of inventory items to solve dilemmas. There are no action sequences and the games generally don't cause stress or intense biological responses. They are often, in their own right, meditative exercises.

I also play survival horror games, and those are of course all about stressing out the player... anything from jump scares to extended psychological torture... and I've used those games in a similar manner to what you're suggesting. Over time, my reactions to those games (and horror in general) lessened in severity, and this led to calmer and more enjoyable gaming, quicker responses during gameplay, and fewer distractions in the chaos of my mind. :) It's easier now to contemplate what I'm doing and take control of a scenario, when in the past I would allow games to incite emotional responses, which would inevitably work against any strategy or skill that I may have been utilizing.

You can definitely train yourself through gaming, and it sounds like the kinds of games you like to play might be good training grounds. :) I'm really interested to find out how applications of new technology like HoloLens will benefit us where these types of ideas are concerned as well.
Last edit: 9 years 1 day ago by .

More
9 years 1 day ago - 9 years 1 day ago #190931 by Adder
Do you mean like staying in but above the 'flow' of a immersive experience? That tends to be when I enjoy gaming the most; when everything (in the game) has its own momentum (tangible relative association to my intent) and I'm able to manage them all in such a way to succeed in the objectives at play. Emotion tends to derail or distract, but seems to build up anyway
:S

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 1 day ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

More
9 years 1 day ago #190935 by Locksley
I've been playing a 4x strategy game the last two days that is so incredibly complex you literally have to automate most of the empire in order to play (otherwise, even early game, you'd have to pause every few seconds to keep up with decisions). This level of complexity (thousands of star systems and planets, dozens of empires, hundreds of ships, a detailed and complex economy, a detailed and complex diplomatic system, a detailed and complex exploration system) all adds up to a massive mind-boggling mess with a steep initial learning curve. But once you get into it you end up learning how to focus through the numerous distractions and center yourself on one or at the most two aspects of the game, leaving the rest in the hands of the AI. It ends up being a really good way to practice mindfulness and focusing techniques.

Just going to say, there is a reason why military use of videos games as training options have been explored.... reduction of stress, learning focus, reduction of empathy and fear responses... all that. :P

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 day ago #190937 by

Locksley wrote: I've been playing a 4x strategy game the last two days that is so incredibly complex you literally have to automate most of the empire in order to play (otherwise, even early game, you'd have to pause every few seconds to keep up with decisions). This level of complexity (thousands of star systems and planets, dozens of empires, hundreds of ships, a detailed and complex economy, a detailed and complex diplomatic system, a detailed and complex exploration system) all adds up to a massive mind-boggling mess with a steep initial learning curve. But once you get into it you end up learning how to focus through the numerous distractions and center yourself on one or at the most two aspects of the game, leaving the rest in the hands of the AI. It ends up being a really good way to practice mindfulness and focusing techniques.

Just going to say, there is a reason why military use of videos games as training options have been explored.... reduction of stress, learning focus, reduction of empathy and fear responses... all that. :P

What is this game called, may I ask?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 day ago #190938 by
I need to practice playing games this way. I'm not proud to admit that some games can really get the better of me, especially when you've tried 34 times and still fail *coughjedilibraryinbattlefrontIIcough*

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 day ago #190939 by
This particular topic is fascinating to me. In a different thread Video Games Promoting Nationalism and War? (http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/109516-video-games-promoting-nationalism-and-war?limitstart=0&start=10). I talk a bit about how this pulls me from being present. I am going to try this technique this weekend and see.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 day ago - 9 years 1 day ago #190942 by

Locksley wrote: Just going to say, there is a reason why military use of videos games as training options have been explored.... reduction of stress, learning focus, reduction of empathy and fear responses... all that. :P

Reduction of empathy doesn't sound great. :dry: I think the types of games I play generally enhance one's capacity for empathy and understanding, which is probably part of why I appreciate them. While I can see how training that reduces empathy would be useful for soldiers, to be honest, that concept freaks me out.
Last edit: 9 years 1 day ago by .

More
9 years 1 day ago #190943 by Adder
Is it as simple as redefining what we're using as a measure of success from the experience!?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi