self examination and the Conflict Impulse

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185643 by OB1Shinobi
why cant we help ourselves lol ?

flight or fight seems to apply to even to silly things like internet trolling

thats the topic -why do we react when we know better?

also i wanted to respond to the HARSH WORDS thread by saying that imo its never appropriate to use "harsh words"

i say this knowing that i use them sometimes myself - and that i consider it a weakness

sometimes its necessary to spell things out in clear and direct language
but
the tone, certainly on the internet where we really can just Not read or respond, does not ever HAVE to be harsh

also in the global thinking thread i wanted to say that the psychological definition of PROJECTION is a phenomena where a person denies some aspect of their behavior or attitude and assumes instead that OTHERS are doing or thinking so

see specifically PROJECTION OF GENERAL GUILT

this is my "hope to be a psychology major but at least i have wikipedia and youtube" response to the interesting threads in the jediism forum, which i am excluded from on grounds of my non eliteness lololol

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 1 month ago #185648 by RyuJin
i think it's because online our physical defenses don't exist...we have to rely entirely on our psychological defense...and being a text only medium we don't have the benefit of seeing body language or hearing vocal tone...which puts added strain on our psychological defenses....it's like stripping away the flesh surrounding a nerve, leaving the nerve exposed and tender....it's just a matter of time before the annoyance becomes pain...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Breeze el Tierno, Cyan Sarden, OB1Shinobi

More
9 years 1 month ago #185657 by OB1Shinobi
yeah i know thereve been a bunch of times i have responded quickly and reflexively to a negative interlretation of someones words and later i could even go back and read the words and say "you know i really didnt HAVE to interpret things the way i did"

or at least didnt have to react the way i reacted

People are complicated.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 1 month ago #185658 by RyuJin
generally i try to read things at least 3 times before replying...while i read through i take my time and read it with a monotone voice in an effort to remove emotion from it before i reply....

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185659 by Cyan Sarden

RyuJin wrote: i think it's because online our physical defenses don't exist...we have to rely entirely on our psychological defense...and being a text only medium we don't have the benefit of seeing body language or hearing vocal tone...which puts added strain on our psychological defenses....it's like stripping away the flesh surrounding a nerve, leaving the nerve exposed and tender....it's just a matter of time before the annoyance becomes pain...

Good comment. In media theory there are the notions of cold and hot media. According to Marshall McLuhan, media are to be judged in how many ways they act on the recipient. A medium that acts on a variety of senses, such as TV (which acts on both the eye and the ear, predominantly on the eye) generate less response from the recipient than cold media (such as radio, which only acts on the ear and which prompts the recipient to complete the missing sensorial information in the mind, thus engaging the recipient more). Generally speaking, media that primarily act on the visual level are hotter than those that primarily act on the ear, because visual information tends to be fuller and requires less of a cognital response.

Print media are considered hot media -because they're visual, but also because they're linear in nature. I'd say forums, however, are cold in nature - the linearity is lost, as the they're interactive. Because of the latter, they engage the reader in a dramatical way - there's very little sensory information available when reading, but the way the reader can interact prompts a massive mental / cognitive response. At the same time, the internet user, who is by and large an anonymous entity, knows that there is little chance that his or her interactions will have direct physical consequences, so there goes the inhibition. Strong mental response combined with a lack of inhibition leads to the kind of outbursts that are typical for some internet forums. Depending on the forum (I'd say that TotJO is quite civil compared to other places), there are fewer or more circumstances present that may prompt inhibition in the reader. If a reader wants to be a long-term member of an online community, he or she will be more inclined to stay polite than if someone's just a one-time poster.

Anyway, was an attempt at explaining forum outbursts from the view of a media theorist.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Cyan Sarden.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, OB1Shinobi

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 1 month ago #185660 by RyuJin
it's always nice to be reminded that i'm not as dumb as i sometimes feel... :woohoo:

Quotes:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden

More
9 years 1 month ago #185662 by OB1Shinobi
well then let me add that this is a very good idea which can save a ton of unneeded emotional negativity

RyuJin wrote: generally i try to read things at least 3 times before replying...while i read through i take my time and read it with a monotone voice in an effort to remove emotion from it before i reply....

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 1 month ago #185664 by RyuJin
it's not completely fool proof of course....

Quotes:

More
9 years 1 month ago #185670 by OB1Shinobi
lol - never underestimate the ingenuity of fools! HA

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #185700 by

RyuJin wrote: generally i try to read things at least 3 times before replying...while i read through i take my time and read it with a monotone voice in an effort to remove emotion from it before i reply....

I do the same thing with my replies. Pretty much any time you see me post that post has been read and edited three or four times. Which is why sometimes it's a little late to the game. :laugh:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi