Britain to get a school for gay/bi/transgender students

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #177372 by Edan
Should we really be separating kids like this?

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Link here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11349697/Britain-could-be-in-line-to-get-first-gay-school.html

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben, Alexandre Orion, Breeze el Tierno

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #177374 by Ben
I can see why when the idea first crossed someone's mind, they might have thought it was a good idea...

But I'm surprised that, after the amount of thought and discussion that must have taken place, they didn't change their minds.

It's a concerning idea for SO many reasons... :dry:

Surely if they took the enormous amount of money that would presumably get poured into the new school, and used it to put better support in place for LGBT kids in schools across Manchester, that would be a much better way to help?

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion

More
9 years 3 months ago #177376 by Edan

V-Tog wrote: It's a concerning idea for SO many reasons... :dry:

Surely if they took the enormous amount of money that would presumably get poured into the new school, and used it to put better support in place for LGBT kids in schools across Manchester, that would be a much better way to help?

Those were my thoughts... you separate children like that and you risk stigmatising them, which is the opposite of what needs to be happening. Education to all pupils is a better way forward I think.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion

More
9 years 3 months ago #177380 by Alexandre Orion
Segregation is generally a very poor step toward acceptance ... :blink:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Kit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #177383 by
and just imagine the straight kids who will get sent their because of their parents' stupidity. or what are they going give the kids a test first?(this is not a suggestion, of any kind, it is to state the insanity of this whole.........................)
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

More
9 years 3 months ago #177391 by Breeze el Tierno
I suspect integration would be the eventual goal, but there is a flip side to this.

In the US, the suicide rate for lgbtq people under 20 is disproportionately large. Off the charts. Leelah Alcorn's death received tremendous attention, but she was by no means the only lgbtq teen to die that week.

We want these kids to stay in school so that the other kids have a chance to accept them. Okay. I get the reasoning behind it. But many of these kids feel unsafe. Many of them are unsafe in a very literal way. How many need to remain in an unsafe place so that the other kids have a chance to catch up and grow up?

Attendance at these schools is purely at the request of the students. In the US, they have met with a fair amount of success, graduates going on to colleges with their heads on nice and tight and their spirits intact.

Sure, we want all of our kids to get along. And I truly feel that most of the culture is headed in that direction. But I do not feel it is fair to ask a sample of students to sit through years of abuse in the hopes of creating a teachable moment for teenaged bigots. I wish these schools were unnecessary. I cannot honestly say they are not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #177393 by
i have personally experienced just as much bigotry and hatred, if not more, from the LGBT supporters than from others who want to be hateful and bigoted towards what they perceive to be LGBT people. that is where i am coming from as a living, breathing, feeling human being, but i see cubar's point/concern.

More
9 years 3 months ago #177394 by OB1Shinobi
i dont really care since im not gay or transgendered
or in school
or in britain

But im curious what this will do to your public transit customs.
i mean, where will they sit?

and your tax dollars, new water fountains cost money,
even bottom shelf water fountains
maybe they should only be allowed a water HOSE
maybe they should just buy their own water

will they have a seperate check out line?
you'll still touch their money at some point
god knows what theyve done with their hands

Theres really only one solution to this problem
theyll just have to be shipped off to their own island
until they can afford space travel on their own initiative
i shant consider that decent people ought to bear THAT expense

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #177396 by
or people could just stop being hateful to whatever they do not identify as the "us." people out in the world, just to be clear.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #177397 by
I'm torn by this because LGBT students need safe places to go when their peers are being little buttholes, but cisgender and straight students aren't going to be able to learn from their LGBT friends without hearing what life is like for them and realizing that LGBT students are still human and very much like them...

Except for me, I'm most definitely not human and should not be allowed around humans, especially when I'm hungry. :whistle:

I have more thoughts, but I have to run to class, so I'll give more thoughts after reading what others think.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi