Who's responsibility?

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 5 months ago #169862 by Jestor
Who's responsibility? was created by Jestor
So, reading the Wall, Edan posted this link...

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30038753

Now, I am not some heartless person, but I have to ask...

What are we to do?

Here in the US, our handicapped children are supported by the government...

My ex-wife has two children who get Social Security becasue they will likely never work... They also recieve government healthcare, and other benefits, provided by the taxpayer...

My wife worked with handicapped children (not me, quit laughing, ;)) in a camp in the summer time, and in schools with the special needs children... As well as many of my friends still do...

I have an uncle who is 70 (I think) with Downs Syndrome, who I know is supported through my grandmothers estate, but who pays for his insurance? Taxpayers... Now he is probably on Social Security and Medicare....

How is this not charity? The government caring for and sending money to, these folks....

A couple of years ago, my wife was at risk for losing her job, the Governor was cutting government funded entities, and her entity was one of them...

We had a discussion, the wife and I, and I told her that that was a charity... A government funded charity...

And if they couldnt pay their employees to fix roads (my job), fight fires and crimes, and whatever else the government does, that is a necessity, then it is a luxury...

She of course, did not take that well, but I still maintain it...

We all have bills, and when things are tight, somethings dont get done... Maybe a bill gets skipped, or we wait a little longer for new tires, hoping the snow holds off... Or we cancel our cable channels, or bug service, cleaning service, whatever...

The point is, that we start cutting back...

But the government does that, (also my job as an elected official) then people scream that their tax dollars pay for them services... DO they want to pay more to ensure the service continues? Well, no, of course not, need to be more aware of how the money is spent....

But just like in our houses, there is only so much coming in, and all we can control sometimes is what goes out...

And it is not the kids fault they need help, but the government didnt ask that they be born, not be aborted, or if they could help support.... They tried to help a few, and in an effort to not exclude, they had to help more, and more... And now it is called a "benefit"... Stay at home, havekids you cnat afford, the government will help....

I must wanted to post this...

I dont have any answers, always more questions...

Once I post things, I can clear my head again...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169865 by
Replied by on topic Who's responsibility?

Jestor wrote: So, reading the Wall, Edan posted this link...

What are we to do?

My ex-wife has two children who get Social Security becasue they will likely never work... They also recieve government healthcare, and other benefits, provided by the taxpayer...

My wife worked with handicapped children (not me, quit laughing, ;)) in a camp in the summer time, and in schools with the special needs children... As well as many of my friends still do...

I have an uncle who is 70 (I think) with Downs Syndrome, who I know is supported through my grandmothers estate, but who pays for his insurance? Taxpayers... Now he is probably on Social Security and Medicare....

How is this not charity? The government caring for and sending money to, these folks....

A couple of years ago, my wife was at risk for losing her job, the Governor was cutting government funded entities, and her entity was one of them...

We had a discussion, the wife and I, and I told her that that was a charity... A government funded charity...

And if they couldnt pay their employees to fix roads (my job), fight fires and crimes, and whatever else the government does, that is a necessity, then it is a luxury...

We all have bills, and when things are tight, somethings dont get done... Maybe a bill gets skipped, or we wait a little longer for new tires, hoping the snow holds off... Or we cancel our cable channels, or bug service, cleaning service, whatever...

But the government does that, (also my job as an elected official) then people scream that their tax dollars pay for them services... DO they want to pay more to ensure the service continues? Well, no, of course not, need to be more aware of how the money is spent....

But just like in our houses, there is only so much coming in, and all we can control sometimes is what goes out...

And it is not the kids fault they need help, but the government didnt ask that they be born, not be aborted, or if they could help support.... They tried to help a few, and in an effort to not exclude, they had to help more, and more... And now it is called a "benefit"... Stay at home, havekids you cnat afford, the government will help....

Oh lord. I know the swarm of egg, and rotten tomato throwing will be coming after this. I do not think it is the governments responcibility to carry this burden. Does my heart weep for these people? Of course. Do they need help and support? Yes. However, it should not come from the government. It should come from other non profit organizations, etc. It should not be something that is government funded. When the government gets involved in situations like these, the government is looked at to get involved in other situations. Sooner or layer then government will be in every single situation imagine, giving money left, right, up, down, sideways, etc. Either there would have to be an enormous tax increase, (which is when you will have riots, and all of those people screaming for the Government to do something in these situations will back off immediately, once their moneys involved.) Or the government will be printing money out the ass, making deals, borrowing money, etc until it eventually collapses. My question is, where is the Bill Gates, Oprah, etc. Why are none of them funding things like this? Where are these huge churches, that have millionaire pastors, like Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer, or even the Roman Catholic Church, and their tucked away millions?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169869 by
I do not have hard feelings for your position and i respect your opinion, but i disagree 100% even with the question.
I do not call it charity i call it solidarity "for it is in giving that we receive".
The foundations of the human civilization are how we can be united to overcome obstacles and not how the strong are taking more privileges through opportunism... we are not in the jungle.
I do not wish to promote a different finance handling
But to applause the Rich and throw the poor or the weak in the trash it is not my way of living.
I say what i say with respect and please don't take me wrong, i don't mean anything personal.
MtFbwY.
Robert.

Attachment h9af05d0.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #169871 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Who's responsibility?

Revan Falton wrote:

What are we to do?

Oh lord. I know the swarm of egg, and rotten tomato throwing will be coming after this. I do not think it is the governments responcibility to carry this burden. Does my heart weep for these people? Of course. Do they need help and support? Yes. However, it should not come from the government. It should come from other non profit organizations, etc. It should not be something that is government funded. When the government gets involved in situations like these, the government is looked at to get involved in other situations. Sooner or layer then government will be in every single situation imagine, giving money left, right, up, down, sideways, etc. Either there would have to be an enormous tax increase, (which is when you will have riots, and all of those people screaming for the Government to do something in these situations will back off immediately, once their moneys involved.) Or the government will be printing money out the ass, making deals, borrowing money, etc until it eventually collapses. My question is, where is the Bill Gates, Oprah, etc. Why are none of them funding things like this? Where are these huge churches, that have millionaire pastors, like Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer, or even the Roman Catholic Church, and their tucked away millions?

So let's say Gates, Opreh or some other billionaire starts and funds a project that will provide the much needed care these kids need, then what? Allen Watts said something in his book about people wanting to help the homeless, so we help them...and then what? I am not attempting to be heartless, the world of man is far more depressing than we realize, and all the money in the world will not fix every problem. You can't throw paper on a fire and expect it to go out.

I read about the homeless, and how illegal it is to feed these people who are starving to death, so I donate food to a few neighbors who are going without. I watch animals in a kennel being mistreated on t.v, so I volunteer at the animal shelter across the river. My point is, there isn't really anything I can do about the bigger problems in the world, so I use them as motivation to do something about the smaller problems I CAN do something about.

Don't just sigh, cry, complain or moan over these kids, do something to make your corner of the world a little better...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, rugadd,

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 5 months ago #169872 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Who's responsibility?

Exarchias wrote: I do not have hard feelings for your position and i respect your opinion, but i disagree 100% even with the question.
I do not call it charity i call it solidarity "for it is in giving that we receive".
The foundations of the human civilization are how we can be united to overcome obstacles and not how the strong are taking more privileges through opportunism... we are not in the jungle.
But to applause the Rich and throw the poor or the weak in the trash it is not my way of living.
I say what i say with respect and please don't take me wrong, i don't mean anything personal.
MtFbwY.
Robert.

Why is it the governments job to provide the solidarity?

If you have a baby, you should support it... The government didnt ask you to have it...

It doesnt get the tax credits you do, nor any of the joys the baby provides....

Shouldnt personal responsibility also be there?

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169875 by

Zenchi wrote:

Revan Falton wrote:

What are we to do?

So let's say Gates, Opreh or some other billionaire starts and funds a project that will provide the much needed care these kids need, then what? Allen Watts said something in his book about people wanting to help the homeless, so we help them...and then what? I am not attempting to be heartless, the world of man is far more depressing than we realize, and all the money in the world will not fix every problem. You can't throw paper on a fire and expect it to go out.

I read about the homeless, and how illegal it is to feed these people who are starving to death, so I donate food to a few neighbors who are going without. I watch animals in a kennel being mistreated on t.v, so I volunteer at the animal shelter across the river. My point is, there isn't really anything I can do about the bigger problems in the world, so I use them as motivation to do something about the smaller problems I CAN do something about.

Don't just sigh, cry, complain or moan over these kids, do something to make your corner of the world a little better...

Exactly. You say injustices being done, and YOU did something to try and fix it, no matter if it was small, or centralized at a community level. You did something, and because you did something even at that small level, it holds more value then if Bill Gates donated a million dollars. (Oh mercy. I'm getting dangerously close to biblical verse here lol )

My point is. You did something. You did not go to the Government and say. Hey, there is this issue. It should be fixed, so fix it, because I am not going to do anything but live in my own little comfortable bubble.

You could have billions of dollars of donations in money from the "rich". Will that help? Of course, but it won't solve all the problems. You will still need volunteers to hand out the food, serve, prepare, store, cook, etc.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169877 by

Exarchias wrote: I do not have hard feelings for your position and i respect your opinion, but i disagree 100% even with the question.
MtFbwY.
Robert.

Attachment h9af05d0.jpg not found

This is going to the picture you posted.

If what that is saying is true, and how it should be. Then theorize this. You have three men. One with no arms, and one with both arms, and one with two arms that is in a building, and is running the building. Both of the two men on the street are employees of the third. The man with no arms is struggling to open a door. Should the man with two arms cut one of his arms off, and give it to the other, attach it, etc, that way they will be equal? The man with no arms surely will be better off before? But what of the second? Because he gave up his arm, he is at a dissadvantage now because he can not work as fast. But the pair is equal. Should the second man go to the boss, and tell him the situation, and tellls the boss to open the door for the man? Or should the man, take personal responsibility on himself, and open the door for the man. Which is more logical and sound?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169878 by

Jestor wrote:

MtFbwY.
Robert.

Why is it the governments job to provide the solidarity?

If you have a baby, you should support it... The government didnt ask you to have it...

It doesnt get the tax credits you do, nor any of the joys the baby provides....

Shouldnt personal responsibility also be there?

Why the reason to have government then?
For having Army Police and Senators?
You, I, We stand in our feet and we can work, but other people are not that lucky and luck, (as i noticed), does last not for ever. If i ever have a accident, or if someone in my family have a accident i wish that will not be casted away from the society, and for THAT reason, i am more than happy to pay TAXES which go for insurances, education and health care.
Personal responsibility is not to care for the community only to achieve lower taxes?
I do not have anything else to add.
Even if i had something to add my anger can lead to unfairness and i don't wish that.

ps. If it was in my hand i wouldn't allow anyone to have children. There are plenty children out there to be adopted and i believe that to bring a new life in this specific world that we live now it is a act of cruelty. My opinion.

More
9 years 5 months ago #169880 by Breeze el Tierno
Two things come to mind. The first is that charity has become a dirty word, as if needing help was a categorically bad thing. One might argue that accepting aid you don't need is dishonorable, but that is a separate issue. I am not making any personal accusations. Only commenting on the culture.

I work with survivors of brain injury, people who will never be able to work or generate income again. One of the first things that comes up is the shame of receiving help, as if the needs born of injury were some kind of character flaw.

But it isn't. Helping them get by isn't just about them. It's about all of us. I regard it as a mark of a civilized society that it does not throw human beings away. We are not quite there.

Even if one feeds a person in need, and many situations can create need, giving shame along with the money is too close to throwing people away for my taste. As much as, for instance, that Jedi out in Oregan needs help, we asna society need to help him. We require it for our own wellbeing.

Perhaps, rather than asking if it is charity (sure), or if there is money (there is), ask why caring for humans is so much less important. It boils down to a question of priorities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Brenna, Edan, Avalon,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169882 by

Cabur Senaar wrote: Two things come to mind. The first is that charity has become a dirty word, as if needing help was a categorically bad thing. One might argue that accepting aid you don't need is dishonorable, but that is a separate issue. I am not making any personal accusations. Only commenting on the culture.

I work with survivors of brain injury, people who will never be able to work or generate income again. One of the first things that comes up is the shame of receiving help, as if the needs born of injury were some kind of character flaw.

But it isn't. Helping them get by isn't just about them. It's about all of us. I regard it as a mark of a civilized society that it does not throw human beings away. We are not quite there.

Even if one feeds a person in need, and many situations can create need, giving shame along with the money is too close to throwing people away for my taste. As much as, for instance, that Jedi out in Oregan needs help, we asna society need to help him. We require it for our own wellbeing.

Perhaps, rather than asking if it is charity (sure), or if there is money (there is), ask why caring for humans is so much less important. It boils down to a question of priorities.

I think we are in all agreement that there needs to be aid given to these indivual, however it seems from who's responsibility is it to care and aid these individuals, and why.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi