You do what you are

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #164699 by
You do what you are was created by
In the movie adaptation of "Along Came A Spider" (I specify because I have not read the book) Morgan Freeman (playing Alex Cross) is talking to Monica Potter (playing Jezzie Flannigan) and says "You do what you are." She of course tells him that he got it backwards, it's supposed to be "You are what you do."

His response is interesting. He talks about how everyone is born with a gift or they acquire one through out their lives. "...what you're good at, you take for granted. You don't betray it." She asks what if you do betray it. He says, "Then you betray yourself. That's a sad thing."

Do you think that we do what we are? And that if we don't then that's a sad thing? What if you are good at something, but you take no joy in it? Would it be a betrayal then to not do it?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #164707 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Re:You do what you are
This sounds too much like playing on words. I believe you should do what makes you happy, regardless of whether your are good at it.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 6 months ago #164710 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic You do what you are
I say find happiness in doing what your good at.

Crack makes people happy.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 6 months ago #164715 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic You do what you are
The short term high from crack is a bit different from living a life you're happy with.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #164716 by
Replied by on topic You do what you are
Also, I dont know how many crackheads you have had personal experience with, or how many crack houses you have been to, but in my experience,I have not seen a great deal of happiness demonstrated in any regard.

More
9 years 6 months ago #164740 by rugadd
Perhaps I was hasty with my example.

My point is that long term happiness does not come from flighty interests. If I demonstrated more discipline in my youth and pursued my talents even when I didn't feel like it, I would likely be in a much better position.

rugadd

More
9 years 6 months ago #164743 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic You do what you are
I guess though that practice makes perfect as they say... if you persist with something you enjoy but are terrible at, you will eventually (I would hope) become good at it.

More
9 years 6 months ago #164755 by rugadd

Edan wrote: I guess though that practice makes perfect as they say... if you persist with something you enjoy but are terrible at, you will eventually (I would hope) become good at it.

Fair point.

I think I kick myself out of habit when I look back...

rugadd

More
9 years 6 months ago #164758 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic You do what you are
The word "be" is a verb.

The word "are" is the 2nd person singular present and 1st, 2nd, 3rd person plural present of the word "be".

Without typical selective judgement, what does this tell you about what we "are"?

;)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #164775 by
Replied by on topic You do what you are
In my opinion he is referring to the characteristics of one self. For example: a compassionate person that turns malevolent, or an honest person suddenly acts as a liar, then they are betraying what they truly are, which is sad.

I do think that we do what we are, in the sense I said before.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi