Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...)

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 12 Apr 2012 22:04 #56123

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
SeanChing wrote:
Senior Knight Akkarin,

I acknowledge your opinions, but I respectfully disagree with many of them.

Fair enough lol

I'm in the same position that you are it seems :)
Apprentices: discorder, hellisforhorses, Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 12 Apr 2012 22:10 #56125

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
I like the prequals, but I think they do have a few serious issues. I think the Phantom Menace was made for children < 10 years of age, and so I think Jar Jar should have killed by Darth Maul and Qui Jon felt a bit guilty so he became unbalanced by emotion when he fought and lost to Maul. Jar Jar had no place beyond the Phantom Menace. Clone Wars could have then been for 8 - 16 yr olds, no Jar Jar. I dont really agree with the video review, as I think they are not meant to be individual movies, but viewed as a set of 6 - unfortunatly the original's look more realistic then the prequals to watching them all back to back makes the eps1-3 feel quite fake with all that CGI. I did like the proposal of that video reviewer for the clones to be sort of a mutant Sith army wreaking havoc allowing Palpatine to rise up in power, that sounds awesome. I guess all those EU books might have meant Lucas felt cornered into a particular storyline which means the new ones do seem a bit of sell out from its artistic potential.

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 12 Apr 2012 22:15 #56126

@Akkarin

Those videos are so damn funny. If I had a beverage next to my computer, it would be splashed all over my screen by now...

But, I will comment on a particular thing you said:

"There is also no fundamental subtle moral teachings in the prequels."

I guess it depends what you mean by subtle. One person's subtle is another person's deer in the headlights.

I can think of 3 off the top of my head (in no order of subtlety):

1) When Qui-Gon tells Anakin to quiet your mind and you'll feel the Force speaking to you.

I look it that as meditation and quieting your mind and closing out all the distraction around you. A good thing. A positive.

2) Yoda tells Anakin, "train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose." That teaches us a lot and opens up many positive possibilities about fear and attachment

(One of my favorites below, and arguably the most subtle)

3) Qui-Gon is fighting Darth Maul and is starting to tire. He kneels to meditate while Darth Maul paces hungrily. That is an awesome scene to me. We have a Jedi Warrior that is facing someone that is just better/stronger/faster than he is. In his meditation and calming of his mind, he probably realizes, I'm gonna die here. But rather than turn tail and run, he gathers the strength that he has and rushes Darth Maul with everything he's got. He rushes Maul! I don't think he had expectations to live, but he was not going to cower against an enemy.

I think there are MANY lessons, moral and otherwise, subtle and otherwise, we can take from that scene alone.

But again, those videos had me laughing good. I am in debt to you as I will share them with my brothers who are also Star Wars fans.

MTFBWY,
LTK
Master: Jestor
Apprentice: Psyddhattha
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Reliah, SeanChing, hellisforhorses

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 12 Apr 2012 22:34 #56129

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
Learn_To_Know wrote:
3) Qui-Gon is fighting Darth Maul and is starting to tire. He kneels to meditate while Darth Maul paces hungrily. That is an awesome scene to me. We have a Jedi Warrior that is facing someone that is just better/stronger/faster than he is. In his meditation and calming of his mind, he probably realizes, I'm gonna die here. But rather than turn tail and run, he gathers the strength that he has and rushes Darth Maul with everything he's got. He rushes Maul! I don't think he had expectations to live, but he was not going to cower against an enemy.

That's one of the first scenes I thought of when you said subtle teachings

What I probably should have said is that the originals had FAR MORE moral teachings and philosophical teachings

They are a lesson whereas the prequels are more of just a fancy shiny new film with flashing lights

I'm glad people have been enjoying them :)

redlettermedia is amazing! lol
Apprentices: discorder, hellisforhorses, Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 13 Apr 2012 00:52 #56148

Hi all. My computer died on campus, so I didn't get to elaborate on what I mean. Here is why I disagree with you, Akkarin. (After all, I don't think it would be adequate if I just said I disagree without an explanation/forum bumper)

SeanChing wrote:
- A lot more talking and less action in general

- Yoda is a cackling idiot for the first few minutes you meet him

Akkarin wrote:
You obviously don't understand the entire point of the trilogy then

First of all, I admit that my first statement, less action and more talking, shows that I'm a little superficial about movies in general. However, I like to watch movies because they are exciting, so I don't see a huge problem when I complain that the OT wasn't that exciting.

My second point, however, I will heartily defend. (I'm interested to see if you will agree or try to rebuttal.)

I said that I thought a major flaw with the OT was that "Yoda is a cackling idiot for the first few minutes you meet him" and Akkarin said that I didn't understand the point of the trilogy then.

Actually, here's why I do.

1) Yoda contradicts himself by acting that way. At first, he acts all goofy and senile and seems as though he has completely lost his mind and is completely incoherent. "Ooh! My flashlight! *Hits R2*"
Then, shortly after, when he reveals his "true" self, he teaches Luke, "A Jedi Must have the most Serious of minds" (something like that). If a Jedi has to be so serious, then why was he acting like such a mindless derp?

Now some people have come up with a flawed explanation that "Yoda was testing Luke's patience", but I don't buy that. A test is (from my experience) structured and by the book so that the tester can test the testee's skills by isolating variables.

When Yoda is supposedly testing Luke, by acting foolish, he goes about it very freely and without thought - I don't even think George Lucas wrote a script for that part. It was just the Yoda voice talking nonsense and yelling "ooh, oh! woah!" and "my flashlight! *Hits R2"

Talk about about a bad Yoda Script. And you guys complain about the prequel's bad dialogue, hmm???

2) Here another way Yoda contradicts himself. Luke asks, "is the dark side stronger" and Yoda quickly says "no no no! Quicker, Easier, more seductive".

If the dark side is "quicker", then why did Yoda reply with such a hasty response?

To be honest, when I watched the Empire Strikes Back for the first time, many moons ago, I actually thought Yoda was on the dark side and tricking Luke. After all, he has that dark side cave (which can confuse new viewer's about Yoda's intentions)and his voice is very raspy which made me think he was evil at first.

Again, some sketchy dialogue in the OT.

Now personally, I love all six Star Wars movies, and I certainly love the OT. However, get real guys! The OT is very flawed, just like the prequels, so it shouldn't be attacked so much, in my humble opinion.

3) I think that one of the reasons why people hate the prequels and love the OT is that the prequels came second while the OT came first. The first movie (out of all movie series) usually gets all the credit, and the movie director can never get a same response for sequels.

Please continue debating, if you feel the urge to! I love to debate about controversial Star Wars topics, especially with you guys, because I know we can disagree and still be a friendly community =)
Sean Ching - Jedi Apprentice
Teaching Master: Senior Knight V-Tog
Last Edit: 13 Apr 2012 00:56 by SeanChing.

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 13 Apr 2012 01:19 #56150

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
Warning; I love Yoda's character and will defend it to the death!!!

Yoda was being non-threatening, vulnerable, and annoying, deliberatly to ascertain the nature of Luke's personality - remember this is first contact between them. Yoda's was giving Luke a reason to get angry, as many people cannot control their anger and have too short a fuse.

I think Yoda's action would be suitable whether he knew in advance from Obi-Wans Force spirit or premonition, or if he didnt know who this guy was crash landing in his backyard to determine how to deal with it.

I think it is am important lesson in the Jedi way that knowledge is important before making decisions about someone.

I think its actually a quite enlightened response from Yoda. If we look at the Three Pillars of Star Ways Jedi in context of how the Jedi view the dark side as a selfish path, then;

Force - Quicker, connecting to the Force through oneself (selfish) might be quicker then by everything around you (Jedi)

Knowledge - Easier, knowing yourself is much easier then knowing about everything around you.

Self-Discipline - More seductive, self explanatory.

So to answer, I'd say Yoda is well learned in the dark side, and didnt need to think about the response, as evidenced by an immediate reply framed in the context of the Jedi Pillars. So not only is it not sketchy, it could be seen as educative!

I dont think Yoda owned the whole planet, and it might be why he chose to live where he did because there was a dark place nearby - to keep an eye on it and anyone who visits.

Go Yoda!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadi Apollos

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 13 Apr 2012 08:34 #56162

I'm just going to mention the Yoda part.

He was alone, completely alone for 30 years there was no evidence of him communicating with Obi Wan either.

Anyway, if you try to spend even 30 days completely alone you'll go a little bit fruit loopy. Let alone 30 years.

Trust me. That was actually one of the more valid points plus don't we all love Yoda for his quirky behavior that no one can understand half the time? :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akkarin, Aceboizor, Desolous

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 13 Apr 2012 10:10 #56164

• Aceboizor
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 7902
SeanChing wrote:
1) Yoda contradicts himself by acting that way. At first, he acts all goofy and senile and seems as though he has completely lost his mind and is completely incoherent. "Ooh! My flashlight! *Hits R2*"
Then, shortly after, when he reveals his "true" self, he teaches Luke, "A Jedi Must have the most Serious of minds" (something like that). If a Jedi has to be so serious, then why was he acting like such a mindless derp?

2) Here another way Yoda contradicts himself. Luke asks, "is the dark side stronger" and Yoda quickly says "no no no! Quicker, Easier, more seductive".

If the dark side is "quicker", then why did Yoda reply with such a hasty response?

3) I think that one of the reasons why people hate the prequels and love the OT is that the prequels came second while the OT came first. The first movie (out of all movie series) usually gets all the credit, and the movie director can never get a same response for sequels.

1) Yoda hardly contradicts himself. He isn't crazy or weird, he's acting. He is putting on a show because he KNOWS it's Luke (he's a flipping grand master after all), and he wants to get a feel for Luke's persona before he reveals his identity. So he puts on an act, something to get Luke's guard down and avoid suspicion.

2) Of course Yoda responds hastily...look what happened to this kid's father! Yoda's naturally going to do his best to steer Luke clear of the Dark Side because he knows what that did to Luke's father. It was a natural "human" response.

3) A movie director can never get a same response for sequels? Honey, have you seen Empire Strikes Back? That sequel got more excitement out of the audience than A New Hope ever did. I know what you meant to say, but when it comes to Star Wars, it's one exception to the rule.

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 13 Apr 2012 10:10 #56165

Sooo...interesting tpoic of debate. Hm.

Well, lemme rub everyone wrong (in a comical way) by stating a few things.

Firstly, I LOVED Epi I, II, III more than the originals. Sorry Folks. I got to see the Jedi Community before it got wiped out, I got to see Gen. Griveous, and let's not forget Hayden Christiansen (sp?) is pretty darn hawt. Which brings me into my second point...

Second: Ewan Mcgregor....hotness. There is NO way to get around the fact that the only reason I loved Obi-Wan on screen was because the actor who played him makes my heart flutter with teen girliness...Also, I think in Ep 1 when he showed emotions...oh man...I lost my brain temporarily because it's totally hot when hot guys cry. (I realize this makes me kinda shallow, but he's an actor so I don't think this counts)

Third: EPIC FIGHT SCENCE!!!!! Yoda v Dooku! (Need I say more? Or has your respect for Yoda grown just a little bit more?) I basically faint just thinking about that fight because of it's sheer awesome.

Fourth: Of the original SW Films (they were all good but I have pref's) Return of the Jedi was my favorite hands down. And I don't feel the need to justify that. Cause lemme tell ya, The Empire Strikes Back *yawn*

Don't get me wrong...I understand the story and messages and whathaveyou behind the entire film concept. For the genre and style and era difference, I don't think the writing was all that terrible. What was created was a masterpiece and I respect it as such. And even devling into the expanded universe which clarifies so much of the story from the films just makes me respect SW more. And the principles and lessons therein.

I am of the opinion that Shakk Ti is a rolemodel for all Female Jedi Masters. She is THE embodiment of grace, power, and IMO stunning Jedi beauty. If I could be 1/10th of the Jedi Master Shakk Ti was I would be honored!

So there's my 2 cents on the matter. Enjoy the scandal :D
Master: Dan

-Sometimes....this is just hilarious. Welcome to the Viking Realms people! But seriously....we're eating boars and drinking mead....don't think you'll interrupt us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amras, Reliah, SeanChing

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 13 Apr 2012 11:02 #56171

• Kalkho
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 9870
Personally, I recon that the prequel Trilogy is hated because it doesn't uphold Star Wars as a mythology. And while explaining the Force (Seriously? What for?) is not pretty, those are still some damn fine movies.

Let's look at the biggest duel in the old Trilogy, in Episode V. It seems too stiff for martial arts masters, who can control the world with their mind, doesn't it? Now, the Duel of Fates in Episode I is a true jaw-dropper, with John Williams' ingenious score and few seconds when Qui-Gon meditates; it's a real masterpiece, you've got to admit that.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Course Comms (Last post by tzb)
    • Discussion 2 - Refusal of the Call now available: www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/the-h...-refusal-of-the-call PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE COURSE COMMS THREAD
    • Discussion 2 - Refusal of the Call (Last post by tzb)
    • [image] We left our hero... hearing the call to adventure, something which challenges them to take on the burden of saving their normal, everyday world by taking a valiant leap into the unknown. But will they be brave enough to heed the call? The hero has heard the call to adventure, but remember, they aren't a hero yet. There are many reasons the hero might refuse the call, and decide to stick with their normal, boring lives; they may not feel ready or in a position to heed the call for a number of good reasons. This is a familiar experience for us all. Sometimes, we are brought an idea or a situation which we don't feel equipped to deal with, and find ourselves afraid, or our hands tied in some way. Perhaps we are married with kids and can't take the once-in-a-lifetime round the world trip with our friends. Perhaps we can't risk our jobs or our homes on a risky dream. Perhaps we're just too afraid to "follow the white rabbit" and take a leap into the unknown. Refusal of the call is less of a feature of ancient myth, where heroes were often portrayed as "fully" heroic, meaning no doubts could enter their mind or impede their quest. However modern stories appreciate that moments of doubt are natural, human and important to the development of a realistic and relatable hero. Where the heroes of ancient myth were frequently gods, or god-like (as in the cases of Jesus, King Arthur and Beowulf), other heroes are human, and this moment of doubt makes this possible. [image] There are any number of negative reasons someone might refuse the call to adventure. This is intrinsically related to character flaws, which as we discussed in Discussion 1 are a common feature of heroes before they set out: * Self-doubt: If someone doesn't believe they have the strength, skill, prowess or ability to complete an adventure they may hesitate to set out on it. This is the reason the ancient heroes were rarely shown to express doubt: their myths were calls to action rather than depictions of real heroes. Real people are flawed, and a lack of self-belief is a common flaw. * Cowardice: Self doubt taken to its logical conclusion becomes cowardice, a chronic avoidance of challenges and the unknown. Many heroes begin their journeys with a cowardly refusal of the difficulties which have fallen into their lap. Think of Bilbo Baggins' initial horror at becoming involved in an adventure with Gandalf, for example. * Arrogance: On the flipside, some heroes will not participate in an adventure because they feel it is beneath them. Characters such as Gilgamesh and Beowulf now seem almost preposterously over-equipped for the quests before them. Sometimes a hero may need to be persuaded of the benefit for them of actually participating in a quest. Thinking slightly laterally, Han Solo refuses to join the rebellion because he believes he is already outsmarting the empire; in the fullness of time he learns that there is more at stake than his own skin and he becomes a better person for it. It's worth considering, however, there are also many positive reasons a hero might refuse the call: * Duty: An ideal example is that of Luke in Episode IV. He pleads with his uncle to allow him to join the academy and is told he is needed for a few more seasons. Luke is not too afraid to go, far from it - he's well aware of what a fantastic pilot he would make. But he remains out of a sense of duty to his uncle and aunt. Other examples of duty include military or other forms of professional obligation. * Devotion: Sometimes a prospective hero may feel too devoted to something which is part of their ordinary world to consider leaving for an adventure. A wife, a child, a father or mother. There are many sources of devotion which may be enough to force a hero to reject their destiny. * Learning From Experience: Trying and failing is a perfectly valid reason for a hero to refuse the call. This simply shows the hero can learn from the mistakes or missteps of the past. Think of Simba's humiliation at being rescued from the Elephant Graveyard by Mufasa. He has learned a valuable lesson about his own weaknesses, one which in time he could have put into practice in a positive way, by working hard to become stronger. It is not wrong that he is more cautious as a consequence of his experience. [video] This stage of the journey is a challenging one. On the one hand, we can feel compelled to think a little less of our heroes if they waver on the threshold of adventure. How can we look up to people who hesitate at the first sign of difficulty? But on the other hand, how could we realistically appreciate the danger and difficulty of the situation the hero is faced with if they never pause for a moment? Remember, we've only just met this character; without this hesitation, for all we know Luke destroys Death Stars every week. There is a crucial role in a plot for this reflection on the difficulties the hero will face. In doing so, the hero reveals the areas in which they need to grow. But however much stands in the way, the call to adventure has shown the hero a larger world. The herald is an invader from a realm which was once outside of the hero's experience, and now they know the "bubble" of their boring, ordinary life can be penetrated, they can't realistically turn back. The refusal of the call is a temporary stage which cannot overcome the true hero; and of course, if the hero stopped here, we wouldn't be telling their story at all. Quote: Often in actual life, and not infrequently in the myths and popular tales, we encounter the dull case of the call unanswered; for it is always possible to turn the ear to other interests. Refusal of the summons converts the adventure into its negative. Walled in boredom, hard work, or "culture," the subject loses the power of significant affirmative action and becomes a victim to be saved. His flowering world becomes a wasteland of dry stones and his life feels meaningless [...] All he can do is create new problems for himself and await the gradual approach of his disintegration. From The Hero with a Thousand Faces Examples Spoiler: * Gilgamesh: Journeying to face Humbaba, Gilgamesh expresses doubt: "I feel haunted. I am too afraid to go on" * The Odyssey: Odysseus' son, Telemachus has just been born and fatherly instinct compels him to stay * The Enlightenment of Buddha: Buddha becomes frustrated with the received wisdom of gurus and sages from existing traditions * The Crucifixion of Jesus: Jesus shows hesitation at the Mount of Olives before the Last Supper, asking God to "take this cup" * Beowulf: At no point do we hear Beowulf refused the call, although we do hear that elders in Geatland "spurred his ambition" suggesting he was encouraged to go, the only indication he didn't motivate his entire adventure himself * The Theft of Thor's Hammer: Thor is totally resistant to Loki's plan of dressing up as women to enter Jötunheim * King Arthur: Arthur is only a child and may therefore have doubts his ability to lead the kingdom * The Lord of the Rings: Frodo inherits Bag End, hides Bilbo's ring and thinks nothing more of it * Star Wars Episode IV: Luke's obligations to his relatives, his refusal of joining the rebellion, and of Obi-Wan's training * The Karate Kid: Daniel visits the Cobra Kai dojo and realises Johnny trains there. He leaves, dejectedly * The Lion King: Simba is rescued from the Elephant Graveyard by Mufasa and ashamed of his actions * The Matrix: Neo is captured by agents and subjected to torture. He wakes up in his bed and assumes the whole thing was a dream * Harry Potter: Harry doesn't believe he is anything special as The Boy Who Lived Questions Spoiler: * Have you ever refused the call? Do you regret it? Can you think of a time where you refused the call and it turned out to be the right decision? * What are the most common reasons people "refuse" adventure in their lives, and why? * Try and think of two reasons in addition to the ones listed above that someone might refuse the call, ideally one negative reason, and one positive reason. Do you think they are good reasons? * Think of our doctrine. Are there any reasons one might refuse the call based on something listed there? If so what, and why? Next: Supernatural Aid (Available Monday 6th October)
    • Zen Pencils (Last post by Invictus)
    • I love Zen-Pencils! Especially the drawing with Allan Watts. It's deep...and so true! :)
    • Going on a Trip (Last post by tzb)
    • And also with you. Safe trip, Silver and Mrs Silver :)
    • Drone Operators with PTSD (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • Actually, the CIA is not an accurate judge either- NO ONE is, which is why it is speculation on both sides. You're doing nothing more than spreading propaganda. As a Jedi, is it not a tenet that we seek out accurate information? Doing a search on the internet, all anyone can find is speculation of what has occurred. UAV operators don't even have the closure to know whether or not they have taken out an innocent life because of the lack of data that can be accurately ascertained from the region and their attacks beyond what is told to them by intelligence analysts. Can the government be trusted on such matters- I'm not saying they can be. But equally- can any media be trusted either? It's just as much no as it is for the government. It's all about what makes the headlines and what people want to push on their own agendas. We have no idea who's right and who is wrong on this- so it is best to simply leave it at that, rather than push what you want to be true. (oddly posted that just before I read my husband's facebook page which he said in response to your post- which is as follows) "If you want to assert the truth, first make sure it's not just an opinion that you desperately want to be true." -Neil Degrasse Tyson As it pertains to the sovereignty of Pakistan- I won't argue that point- as I happen to agree. I just don't like poor research and propoganda fear-mongering which has no support. And in this case, you have as much support for your statement as the CIA has on it's own statement : None.
    • MJ Hannigan (Last post by Silvermane)
    • An old Druid proverb states that you can ask 3 bards to tell you the same tale and they will give you 4 different versions. Perspective is always the center of attention. What we understand and have learned at this Temple is slightly to really different that what someone else learns at a different Temple or Order. As Jedi we preach about being open minded and accepting of others, but if we start showing acceptance to those who only practice our ways, than we aren't open or accepting, we are simply just another popularity contest. I do not believe that and I know each and every one of you don't believe that either. We are Jedi. We stand for what we believe in: The Way of the Jedi. It is something we ALL want. Something we ALL strive for. It doesn't matter what the training looks like because everyone is different, therefore training is different for everyone. As for Mr. Hannigan, I took the facts that he himself posted and displayed them all together and he said that he did not care. I believe this is true, regardless if he feels remorse or not. He was asked multiple times to stop the personal attacks and the rude behavior and he chose not too. I am all for second chances, third chances, fifteenth chances. Read through my journal, you'll see what I mean. But with each chance I give, I also make sure people understand that my trust will take longer and longer to get back. Giving Mr Hannigan a month to think about what he has done and hopefully learn some respect and acceptance for ALL who strive to be Jedi would be an acceptable punishment for his behavior and the fact this is not the first time. I will always extend my hand to someone in friendship and be willing to help them out, but they also have to be willing to help themselves first. As I said before, I believe he has great potential and that he could be just as great as any one of us as long as he is willing to humble himself and accept others for who and what they are. It is a simple thing to do, but not always easy when we are set in our ways. It is all a simple choice: accept and respect or judgment and disrespect. I do not speak out of anger or any other emotions. I speak the truth as an unbiased Jedi would when presented with the information that we have all seen. Take it as you like and May the Force be with you all.
    • On Self Knowledge (and The Jedi Path) (Last post by Br. John)
    • On Self-Knowledge - Kahlil Gibran Your hearts know in silence the secrets of the days and the nights. But your ears thirst for the sound of your heart's knowledge. You would know in words that which you have always known in thought. You would touch with your fingers the naked body of your dreams. And it is well you should. The hidden well-spring of your soul must needs rise and run murmuring to the sea; And the treasure of your infinite depths would be revealed to your eyes. But let there be no scales to weigh your unknown treasure; And seek not the depths of your knowledge with staff or sounding line. For self is a sea boundless and measureless. Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, "I have found a truth." Say not, "I have found the path of the soul." Say rather, "I have met the soul walking upon my path." For the soul walks upon all paths. The soul walks not upon a line, neither does it grow like a reed. The soul unfolds itself like a lotus of countless petals.
    • Where is the line between freedom of speech... (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: The working definition of a religion in my World Religions college course is from Invitations to World Religions, Brodd, Little, et al, Oxford University Press. "Religion is a cultural system integrating teachings, practices, modes of experience, institutions, and artistic expression that relates people to what they perceive to be transcendent" (page 9). I can't find the quote right now but Ninian Smart in "The Religious Experience" I think says that arguably there is no such thing as "religion" there are only the "religions". The outline of his point is below: What he means by this is that "religion" is a term given from the "outside" by people trying to classify what they think constitutes Christianity (or whichever religion) and then calling it Christianity. The "religions" on the other hand are instead that which people decide to call their faith (or whatever it is). This is essentially switching the focus from an outsider look in and saying "this is the name of what you're doing" to the religious person themselves saying "this is the name I give to what I'm doing". What does this mean for what is a religion or not a religion? It means that what the person is doing is a religion if they believe that what they are doing is religious. Is Buddhism a religion or a philosophical way of life? That depends on whether the Buddhist considers what they are doing to be religious or not.
    • helping the homeless (Last post by Brenna)
    • Quote: It's actually an excellent way of keeping warm AND occupied. Booze blankets dont count!!
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by E-3_4L_Teeter)
    • Day 1-2 of returning to normal PT habits (4-5 times a week) post knee problems Day 1: Ran a mile and change up the biggest hill on the base I live on and did 3 sets of 25 push ups, 35 squats and 45 sit-ups. Ran back home and wanted to die Day 2: Ran three loops around base housing (provably in the neighborhood of three miles) took about 20-25 minutes (rough estimate) stretched. Feel like I got my butt kicked this morning
    • Keeping Calm and Centered (Last post by Proteus)
    • I once discovered that if I spend a whole morning (a few hours in a row) deliberately paying attention to my breath during whatever I'm doing, that I naturally end up breathing deeper. I found that I grew alot more relaxed than usual (I'm sure due to the extra oxygen to my brain) for most of the rest of the day. In that state, I was immensely more level headed and able to calmly handle and resolve issues that arose throughout the day. Try it sometime.
    • American Jedi (Last post by Talariq)
    • Quote: A quick web search brought up this short film: American Jedi (2002) Quote: Oh geeez....Now I hope Laurent changes the name...to be compared to that 0_0 *shudders* I googled it as well and got really confused when I saw that IMDB page. I'm with you, Kit. I actually liked the title... until I saw that. >.<

There are 130 visitors, 3 guests and 19 members online (one is in chat): Br. John, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Shadouness, Adder, Garwa Mayharr, Darren, Proteus, Andy Spalding, MCSH, Khaos, E-3_4L_Teeter, Brenna, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, tzb, Kaverael, khrinosimmortali, Jamie Stick, Oneiros, Invictus.

Follow Us