Windows 10

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #199167 by
Windows 10 was created by
I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 the other day. As soon as I log in the desktop just keeps reloading over and over again. I can't do anything unless I go into safe mode. I tried deleting the graphics drivers and redownloading them, tried disable anything that loaded on startup, and now I'm at a loss. Anyone got any ideas before I give up and go back to 8.1?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #199169 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Windows 10
I googled it and came up with this... if it is the graphics driver that is... (really don't know if it will work..)

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-how-fix-nvidia-driver-issues-after-upgrade-1513643

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 8 months ago #199175 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic Windows 10
Once you upgrade windows 10, especially for nvidia users, you need to download the latest nvidia drivers and do a clean wipe and install, if you don't do this the existing drivers will not work correctly and cause a whole pile of issues at random.

For those who use it I've also had to do reinstalls of the following software in order to get proper functionality:
Logmein hamachi
64bit java(32bit seems to still work fine)

I've also had to redo a few other drivers, now also given time the windows update should and has for me on another machine auto download all the appropriate drivers but you gotta give it time to do the downloading part before restarting.

All of the above is if you do the upgrade while keeping your old apps and settings.

I've upgraded 3 machines now to windows 10, and I can say that the format and reinstall for some machines is actually faster then having to deal with reinstalling drivers only because in some cases like logmein hamachi users, the uninstall will no longer function you have to use a combination of regedit and the special software removal tool provided by windows if you go and download it(link below) to remove all of hamachi in order to re-install it and have it install the network adapter properly and so on.

IF anyone else is having issues feel free to poke me I might be able to help.
microsoft uninstall tool

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #199178 by
Replied by on topic Windows 10
I'm just waiting for my lottery number to come up for the upgrade, specifically for the reasons people have been citing when installing via ISO - I figure in the end, a little patience will end up saving me a world of headaches.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #199180 by
I ended up going into the screen where you can troubleshoot and go to safe mode. I clicked 'reset this PC' and it reinstalled windows 10 and deleted all the apps that didn't come on the laptop. Works great now!

More
8 years 8 months ago #199262 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic Re:Windows 10

Dessel761 wrote: I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 the other day. As soon as I log in the desktop just keeps reloading over and over again. I can't do anything unless I go into safe mode. I tried deleting the graphics drivers and redownloading them, tried disable anything that loaded on startup, and now I'm at a loss. Anyone got any ideas before I give up and go back to 8.1?

If you somehow manage to do this: run msconfig, go to running services, hide Microsoft services, then mark all others and disable them. Once you apply, it'll tell you to reboot - do that and things should be back to normal.

In my case, an older version of Google Chrome was the culprit - that one runs some kind of auto-update background task which wasn't compatible within windows 10. After the reboot I removed chrome - I find Edge better anyway

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #199297 by
I'm finding it very overwhelming, there are like, seventeen ways to do the same thing, there's little UI consistency at all across apps, way too many apps that don't have a clear explanation of features or options settings. Consistency is the biggest problem for me, say what you will about the charms bar, at least it was a one stop place to get to an app's settings, but now it depends on the app. Quite frustrating.

More
8 years 8 months ago #199337 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic Re:Windows 10

CryojenX wrote: I'm finding it very overwhelming, there are like, seventeen ways to do the same thing, there's little UI consistency at all across apps, way too many apps that don't have a clear explanation of features or options settings. Consistency is the biggest problem for me, say what you will about the charms bar, at least it was a one stop place to get to an app's settings, but now it depends on the app. Quite frustrating.

Well, I guess they got 'inspired' by Mac OS X I guess. While the latter offers fewer features and thus looks a bit tidier, consistency across apps has been the one big thing missing for me there. There is a recommended design language for both OS X and Windows 10, but few developers seem to follow it.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi