Intrest in Learning about Buddhism

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 26 Apr 2012 13:21 #57868

Hello, I am interested in learning more about Buddhism. I was wondering if any current practioners know of any really good resources to learn more about some of the teachings and beliefs?
Peace be with you.

Also, keep being awesome.

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 11:40 #57987

• Aceboizor
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 7902
Hiya csmith! There are some great lectures right here on the forums! Just explore the Eastern studies threads a bit and see what you like. There are also some fantastic book recommendations in the TOTJO Library thread (under Training & Library) available to all temple members. I myself quite like anything written by the Dalai Lama, who has a wonderful view of the world and Buddhism's place within it.

Then there are the really basic ways, like Wikipedia. XP Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, LTK

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 13:17 #58000

Thank you, for some reason it didn't occur to me that people might put an informational on buddhism in there. I can be pretty freaking special sometimes.
Peace be with you.

Also, keep being awesome.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • The True Temple (Last post by Br. John)
    • As for you being a Temple. Of course. I've posted Gibran before and I'll post him again now. On Religion Kahlil Gibran Have I spoken this day of aught else? Is not religion all deeds and all reflection, And that which is neither deed nor reflection, but a wonder and a surprise ever springing in the soul, even while the hands hew the stone or tend the loom? Who can separate his faith from his actions, or his belief from his occupations? Who can spread his hours before him, saying, "This for God and this for myself; This for my soul, and this other for my body?" All your hours are wings that beat through space from self to self. He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked. The wind and the sun will tear no holes in his skin. And he who defines his conduct by ethics imprisons his song-bird in a cage. The freest song comes not through bars and wires. And he to whom worshipping is a window, to open but also to shut, has not yet visited the house of his soul whose windows are from dawn to dawn. Your daily life is your temple and your religion. Whenever you enter into it take with you your all. Take the plough and the forge and the mallet and the lute, The things you have fashioned in necessity or for delight. For in revery you cannot rise above your achievements nor fall lower than your failures. And take with you all men: For in adoration you cannot fly higher than their hopes nor humble yourself lower than their despair. And if you would know God be not therefore a solver of riddles. Rather look about you and you shall see Him playing with your children. And look into space; you shall see Him walking in the cloud, outstretching His arms in the lightning and descending in rain. You shall see Him smiling in flowers, then rising and waving His hands in trees.
    • What do you do when you're bored at work? (Last post by V-Tog)
    • I browse Twitter, BBC Sport and TOTJO on my phone... Then I usually eat some biscuits, and then I might look at the company calendar and fantasize about booking some holiday... Then probably sneak a few more biscuits... Basically, when I'm bored I eat stuff :laugh:
    • Being Paid to Volunteer, Is it Legit or Not? (Last post by Jestor)
    • Quote: What if volunteering is the act of stealing someone else's job? Seldom is the volunteer of the same caliber of the paid employee... By using volunteers, you have to treat the differently, because most people have the "well I'm not getting paid for this" mentality, so if you are not happy with them socializing, or their crappy performance, your stuck... They used volunteers to save cost at our fourth of July parade for the last two years... This year, they brought us paid employees back... The first year, prescription meds went missing (co-worker had a few pain pills for his back and knees) equipment messed up/broke, used wrong, blah, blah... Although they paid me to work, what they paid for was my level of service and knowledge... I didn't have to work, I did "volunteer" to work, but for pay... I do "volunteer" to do free volunteer stuff, but, they get what they pay for, lol.... I try to stay busy, on task... But I'm something of a talker, :lol:...
    • Terra Prime Temple Learners (Last post by Mareeka)
    • Interesting, Form 3 is a version of Form 6 and Form 1 is like a maxed zoom of the upper parts scattered on the table. So like the Kabbalah where branches hang down from the roots the systems like Jedi, or martial arts, or training materials may appear to be different. What if I can't see the saber does that mean it doesn't exist?
    • Lightsabers Anonymous (Last post by CryojenX)
    • Let me just say that not only did I use VERY poor judgement making that video when I've been so ill... I honestly don't think I used any judgement at all. :dry:
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • I am grateful to psychology for helping me understand children. It sounds like such a silly thing but I've never been able to connect with or understand them. I may only be able to look at them now from a developmental point of view, but now I get why they do stuff which doesn't make me any better with them, but now I don't find them quite as strange.
    • Scientists Create Holograms you can Touch (Last post by Gisteron)
    • Quote: ... I would just like comment to Ren, that to let you know [sic] a Holosuite is nearly possible. Actually, no, it isn't... The thing about holosuites is that they project matter, or at least solidity, into space. The extent to which that is possible in theory (and that is nowhere near the extent seen in Star Trek) is dwarfed by the extent to which it is not feasible in practice (there is only so much energy at our disposal). Interactive, virtual, audio-visual environments are fine though. That's about as far as holograms (and audio playback) go, and everything else is something else.
    • The average life of a Jedi (Last post by Ariane)
    • Hello everyone Found some Jedi related eye candy.. click on this link to step into the shoes of a Jedi. Take a stroll down the High Line, grab a drink at your favorite restaurant, and make it just in time for Jedi training. A day in the life of an average Jedi. :woohoo: Its just for fun. Hope you Enjoy. Peace and Blessings Love and Light
    • Free online course: Making Sense of Climate Change... (Last post by Streen)
    • What I find that most people aren't comprehending is that climate change could very well be cyclical. Just because temperatures are rising doesn't mean they are going in one linear direction. If there's one thing I've learned about this planet and the solar system is that everything happens in cycles. I'm not confirming or denying climate change, just that change in general usually balances itself out.
    • Light bubbles dont work (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: Quote: ....you can effectively negate a sound wave by producing an inverse sound wave that is otherwise identical. The phase shift uses a trough to cancel a crest and vice versa, effectively producing silence instead. this actually did register with me i would still say that to my way of thinkng, the "inverse sound wave that is otherwise identical" is more a matter of the things ive referenced here than the shield visualization, but i do acknowledge the validity of this point in particular, regardless of interpretation of how it might translate
    • Martial Arts: Your interest? (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: I feel like I have trained in some form of martial arts for most of my life. I taught for about 5. I like "martial arts". I like the art of moving the body in a martial way. The easy style to name is: Jeet Kune Do because its a philosophy and not a style. I avoid styles. I like arts! i feel the same way "moving the body in a martial way" to me it is not sincere to train in MA as if it were not meant to address the issue of actual.violence -the things i learn and practice have to have functional practical application but the real joy is not in the violence at all, but in the movement itself and to my mind there are only a few systems, really empty handed fighting is one system - krav maga amd judo and boxing are all specializations within the overall system of EMPTY HANDED FIGHTING or MARTIAL ARTS ect the term is unimportant but it doesnt matter to me if i never get in a fight again - mostly i hope that i never do, but i love to train and to learn new things always have -MA is the one thing ive never stopped loving
    • List of scientists who became creationists after s... (Last post by Mareeka)
    • I read most of this thread. The same type of discussion is in numerous threads over the last few years.. Religion versus Science. The parameters feel too small to answer big questions. To me the individual's journey with the meaning and relationship of tangible/quantifiable versus intangible/incorpeal is a long hard tread bouncing back and forth between the two. The Hero's Journey to me looks like the not giving up on life; because, it is hard. Not giving up is the hero. The journey is that is that it is hard. Some of the conclusions in this thread are lumped in to either religion or science. For e.g. to say a myth is an expression like art is very limited and more narrow than the way Campbell uses the term. First a myth is a type of expression "a story", but not all myths are scientifically or human naturally incorrect. They were/are communication, teaching and expression. Often times, that which one could draw an image of from the story doesn't matter at all, the images can be changed but the purpose of the story is what occurs in an action or an exchange. That which can not be seen. The images are just a transportation device. So it is with religion, not everyone has negative take aways. Myself, others I have discussed with this . . just didn't believe from youth that which we did not believe. Some others take those same things and feel they were harmed. Just a hypothesis: what if the creation story harmed no-one, what if women working did more harm? Just saying . . it is not JUST a creation story or hell story that is responsible for humans feelings of safety or doom. (not saying it is working mothers either). Not doing a good job here of trying to say . . . where humanity is today is not limited to religion and science . . there is history, there is human nature, there are political structures EACH with their own programs (postiive and negative). By programs I mean which drive us . . got humanity where it is today. Furthermore, there is overlap and blended influence of everything. To say all religions have a creation story or the same creation story is in-correct. Some do not have any. A relgion is an institution, first, shared beliefs about something second. The humans behind science, politics and human nature are equal contributors to war and bloodshed, and the destruction of that which a few don't want under the facade of for someone's good. In fact, there is much history to point to the structure of religions in the common era by polticians. Prior to that the Jews did what they did . . it wasn't even organized. The same with Christianity. Nowadays to think that everyone who says the word god is talking about the creation story or something useless and irrational is false. That old ideaology of what god means has weakened significantly and progressively in the last 150 - 200 years. It is now so variant and often left up to the individual "hero's journey" to figure out within him/her self. I am not saying not to talk about but more so there are so many nuances in the tapestry to appreciate not just because of the similar but also because of the differences.

There are 1353 visitors, 8 guests and 38 members online (none in chat): Br. John, Sarus, steamboat28, Jon, Shadouness, Jestor, Connor L., Proteus, V-Tog, Alexandre Orion, hellisforhorses, Rosalyn J, Llama Su, Kamizu, Pyrus Erath, benedictveritas, Cabur Senaar, Tarran, Exar Qel Droma, Rocda, den385, Tk768, TheDude, Krieger, Adi Vas, CryojenX, Neorian, Blind, Tellahane, Corsair Gorscue, adventureexcitement242, Muse, SemicolonC, Jamho Thaber, Noct Pool, Eruthol, Sonrisa, Accipter [Ace] Salix.

Follow Us