Intrest in Learning about Buddhism

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 26 Apr 2012 13:21 #57868

• csmith
  • Novice
  • ID: 10203
Hello, I am interested in learning more about Buddhism. I was wondering if any current practioners know of any really good resources to learn more about some of the teachings and beliefs?

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 11:40 #57987

• Aceboizor
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 7902
Hiya csmith! There are some great lectures right here on the forums! Just explore the Eastern studies threads a bit and see what you like. There are also some fantastic book recommendations in the TOTJO Library thread (under Training & Library) available to all temple members. I myself quite like anything written by the Dalai Lama, who has a wonderful view of the world and Buddhism's place within it.

Then there are the really basic ways, like Wikipedia. XP Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Learn_To_Know

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 13:17 #58000

• csmith
  • Novice
  • ID: 10203
Thank you, for some reason it didn't occur to me that people might put an informational on buddhism in there. I can be pretty freaking special sometimes.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Best martial art? (Last post by Khaos)
    • Quote: It may sound a bit arrogant, but I believe that every Jedi should know at least basics about swordsmanship. Its not arrogant to say or think that, however an explanation as to how you have come to that conclusion would be great. Many Jedi say this, and I am not sure as to the motivation. In the Sith path, martial arts is not a requirement, or even a suggestion. I myself am a bit obsessive about martial arts, but that is my passion, other Sith have interests that lay well outside that, and it is more encouraged that one realize there passions wherever they are as opposed to to preset criteria, especially of the martial variety. Now, within ones passion, they should seek not only to pursue it, but pursue it with the focus deserving of the title of ones passion. So I am interested as to why Jedi should know swordsmanship on any real level, especially if its not even an interest.
    • There is no Death (Last post by Zeph)
    • Quote: Quote: "(...)all the paths are empty (nothingness), do not born, do not end (...)", as the Heart Sutra says.. True (to a point), it's what we do with it that matters. Jediism as a path is essentially nothing until it is molded and wielded into a workable philosophy that instills it's followers with the awareness that they each possess the power to better their lives and the world around them... Exactly the point! All the phenomenons are "empty of inherent meaning". When we say "all," that means everything, including the the path. We see a phenomenon as something with characteristics, and as an object that is conceived by a subject. To hold that an object is something external is ignorance, and it is this that prevents us from seeing the truth of that object. The truth of a phenomenon is emptiness, which implies that the phenomenon does not possess a truly existent essence or nature: we (our minds) construct and give meaning to the phenomenon...
    • Jedi Sentinel Findings (Last post by Daniel L.)
    • I'm having a difficult time with this. Every month there is a new Missing Teen Age Girl poster at bus stop cross walks and store door way. I'm not sure if its just a Tucson thing but it's starting to get to me. Never have I felt so useless. May the Force Be With those that are lost missing or in a dark place. How I wish I could be your light.
    • Local Orginizations (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • If you are in:Memphis, Somewhere close to Murray, KY, Chicago, or in Arizona, there are offline chapters established. They are not necessarily ToTJO affiliated, but they each have great Jedi running them, and it will help drive home the ideas and concepts you learn here. You can even bring some of your knowledge from here to these groups and help them grow. ToTJO also has a map around here that can help you connect with others in your area if there happens to be someone near you ;)
    • The Order of the Good Death (Last post by Proteus)
    • What makes fear or lack of fear unnatural? Who is to say what is "not part of nature"? Is fear not a symptom of ignorance? And yet, death to this day is the biggest mystery in this world of "hard facts"... There were civilizations and eras where many people were rarely afraid of death, but instead, looked quite forward to it, due to setting aside some lack of facts for decided beliefs. That may sound dumb in common contexts, yet that empowering belief gave them incredible power over the life they did have, giving it a great meaning. The difference between the common person of today's society and one of them, is that they spent their life learning - not hard facts about the tangible world so much, but about matters of the spirit which taught them to be less attached to their physical bodies, and not so concerned with losing it in death - which is the common issue for us: attachment to the tangible experience of life, and not knowing (tangibly) what lies beyond it. "There is no death, there is the Force", is an affirmation, that the physical, tangible realm that we experience in this life is very likely but a grain of sand on a beach of further experiences beyond it.
    • Jedi Altar (Last post by JHolle3)
    • That is awesome! I love altars. Mine will most likely have several Buddhist items on it as well. I'd love to have one of those miniature zen gardens, with the little rake and sand.
    • Jamie Hams It Up (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • This thread ... :huh: And I've been saying all along : "The Jedi do not have sin." :blink: ... until now. :laugh:
    • IP discussion area (Last post by J. K. Barger)
    • Bump :) I thought it was a pretty insightful book- I think I echo with Scott in that she makes no claims to any sort of certifying credential, and just presents the material in a chronological way that is, IMO, a decent enough baseline for folks to jump off and do their own research. I was also able to understand her pretty well, even in some of the denser mathematical and theoretical parts, which really helped me put together some of the bits and pieces of quantum physics research and pseudo-scientific literature into rounder context. She does insinuate, but I agree also with (I believe Desolous) there is something more to this, but does quite say what. And I think that perhaps is where she brings in her marketing skills and webinars. I wrote a post a little while back after reading it and was wondering if anyone had any experience with her online material, but it didn't seem like anyone had or was interested. Either way, the parts about information and how it is stored and transferred was fascinating and deepened the magical potential of Life as it ebbs and flows.
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • I'll post some old poetry here, I guess. It's spoken word, so it won't have the same impact as when it's recited. Also, I don't agree with the entirety of the message or with way I expressed what I was feeling at that time. Spoiler: Phony Playing the fool for a nation of fools A nation caught up in misguided rules Invisible fault lines colliding And we to be blame, our fault Recognition is big step But not a giant leap Shamelessly we employ slaves Women kept in domestic graves A narrative against those who misbehave But who am I to stand here and speak? A genderqueer white person Middle-class and educated Can't see past my own pile of shit Phony And all I can do is admit that I don't get it Phony Trampling injustice with a lead foot Speeding with arrogance towards fire and soot Crash course in stupidity Trying to embrace humility Only to wind up without the ability To see the futility Of my own proximity With the destructive proclivity Incidentally, I drown out the real voice with my audibility Openly I demonstrate the best parts of Christianity Secretly I'm wondering if God could ever love me Phony I'm pretty proud that I'm Irish and German But the Irish decided to turn-in their heritage For white man's burden Phony And what does it mean to be straight? Can I be impressed by a man's gait Or do I have to walk a fine line between Insecurity and self-hate? Phony I'm a hypocrite Culturally illiterate Inconsiderate asshole Is what I'd call America whole Phony How do I navigate the intricate web of lies Cutting ties with my identity To demonstrate deference If history needs a context Then I must have missed the reference Incensed by America's ignorance While I claim innocence Phony
    • No Emotion, eh? (Last post by Zeph)
    • I like to use that analogy about the reflex of the moon over the water surface. If the water is disturbed, the image will be reflected distorced. The “waves” that disturb the water are our emotions. The "moon" is the reality. The "moon reflex" is the reality as our mind see. If we are lucid, we can see trough this "waves", If we are not, we see a "fake reality" distorced by our emotions. The point is that we must train (analitic meditation) to observe this mental process naturally, and choose better reactions.

There are 248 visitors, 8 guests and 25 members online (none are in chat): Akkarin, Gaia Chi, Jestor, Connor L., Reliah, Chernobog, Proteus, Luthien, Locksley, Tripp Borz, scott777ab, Khaos, Arcade, Buvan, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, tzb, Kaverael, Zenchi, ChaosMerdy, jamesjohnston1741, Aviator, Trice Corbel, kevinabdiel, blindbat84, Xan Montagu, EEJim, The Owl, Zeph, Mozart Ponntes.

Follow Us