Intrest in Learning about Buddhism

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 26 Apr 2012 13:21 #57868

• csmith
  • Novice
  • ID: 10203
Hello, I am interested in learning more about Buddhism. I was wondering if any current practioners know of any really good resources to learn more about some of the teachings and beliefs?

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 11:40 #57987

• Aceboizor
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 7902
Hiya csmith! There are some great lectures right here on the forums! Just explore the Eastern studies threads a bit and see what you like. There are also some fantastic book recommendations in the TOTJO Library thread (under Training & Library) available to all temple members. I myself quite like anything written by the Dalai Lama, who has a wonderful view of the world and Buddhism's place within it.

Then there are the really basic ways, like Wikipedia. XP Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Learn_To_Know

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 13:17 #58000

• csmith
  • Novice
  • ID: 10203
Thank you, for some reason it didn't occur to me that people might put an informational on buddhism in there. I can be pretty freaking special sometimes.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Dream job? (Last post by crystale)
    • One point is the urgency: I opine that: We all,specially young people (with full energy that need to be canalized) we all need patience. We have more chances of discover things around us if we are in armony and peace. Challenges physically and intellectually are all around us in our society all the time With much attention we can make a study of our place and how we can insert our help to others. Maybe you can't to start in adminstrative works, but you can help to people that need help in one area. An area that you know (Some voluntary or less remunerated work can to add experience) Be nice...and available... When you are in a place in universe ... this place can to conduce to other doors... We can plan some things. But we ignore the future in details... One very important teaching is the teaching of the life More that papers,(papers also have their importance) but more than papers, we have the posibility to be nice persons One great carpenter can to build a nice and expensive chair, but maybe also can to build excelent and nice dog house Challenges physically and intellectually are all around us in our society... and many oportunities, maybe hidden...we can wait the singular chance in middle of the apparently ordinary.. And time is time,(maybe dont need to think that time is a thing that you can to lose...always (whatever you do)take time,so... ¿you maybe prefer in middle your preparation,and study (take some time for fun) :woohoo: Important is to be happy in present and not just wait future (balance) words of Ryujin : ", do what you love " Is wisdom or in other way: do not make things without love B)
    • FAQ Update (Last post by Brenna)
    • Quote: ... The forum moderators are (supposed to be) the security officers ... according to what?
    • Coincidence and Synchronicity (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: Our minds are desperate for patterns... In my pattern I think you clarified the thread in more than one way :cheer:
    • Article: What if Marriage were Temporary? (Last post by ren)
    • Quote: I think that there is a real reason why marriage in almost all the traditional societies was enforced social obligation; it wasn't until around the middle ages in Europe that the idea of making a personal choice about who your spouse would be came onto the scene. In europe it's around the end of the middle ages that regular people started getting married. Before that, most people (peasants) would be what in the Uk we call "common law married", which is essentially people considering themselves a family without ever formalizing anything in front of anyone. Only monarchs and other people of power would ever get married, and that was always for political or economical reasons, sometimes (often) resulting in some degree of inbreeding, something that remains common in parts of the world today.
    • The Shadow (Last post by RyuJin)
    • I had to figure all that out the long difficult way, a long time ago, and it's what I've been telling others ever since... We do have a lesson in the degree forums that uses shamanic practices to find you shadow self and your inner child...
    • Books for Free (Public Domain) (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: I've posted some of these on my wall previously, but I think they deserve a thread, and as an avid book collector this is quite close to my heart. There are a lot of books out there that are now in the public domain but you might find sites like Amazon still charging for printed or kindle copies of them. Below are some websites where you can find these public domain books: Books Should Be Free Project Gutenberg Global Grey (This one is a bit easier to look through than the first two and has some interesting stuff, especially for religion, philosophy, history and occult subjects) Feedbooks Authorama (Perhaps a nice mod could sticky this?.... maybe, maybe :) ) Each of those links was added to the library: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/library Thank you.
    • This Week In Science (Last post by Khaos)
    • Renewables Now Produce 22 Percent Of The Worlds Energy. Last year, renewable power capacity expanded at its fastest pace yet, reaching nearly 22 percent of the global mix. Up from 21 percent in 2012 and 18 percent in 2007, that puts renewable electricity generation—from wind, solar, and hydro—on par with that of natural gas. But with uncertainty over policy support, the expansion of renewable energy will slow over the next five years, according to a new report from the International Energy Agency. Renewable energy could make up over a quarter of global electricity generation by 2020, according to the agency, but annual growth is expected to slow and stabilize after 2014—putting renewables at risk of falling short of global climate change goals. “Renewables are a necessary part of energy security. However, just when they are becoming a cost-competitive option in an increasing number of cases, policy and regulatory uncertainty is rising in some key markets. This stems from concerns about the costs of deploying renewables,” IEA’s Maria van der Hoeven says in a news release. “Governments must distinguish more clearly between the past, present and future, as costs are falling over time.” The report also provided a renewable power investment outlook. Through 2020, investment in new renewable power could average over $230 billion a year—though that’s lower than the $250 billion invested around the world in 2013. The decline is because unit costs are expected to fall, but also due to expectations that global capacity growth will slow. However, with the focus on electricity and transportation sectors, the contribution of renewables to heating and cooling remains underdeveloped. Although renewable energy sources are expected to grow by almost 25 percent in 2020, their share in energy use for heat rises to only 9 percent—up from 8 percent in 2013. [Via International Energy Agency] Read more at www.iflscience.com/environment/renewable...#C1dqdqFVQ7YpJtrO.99
    • The Code(s) (Last post by Gisteron)
    • What always troubled me about the revised "yet"-code, was, that, and you guys know me by now - I love me some precision - it always sounded like somebody is having trouble making up their mind. Yes, I hear them saying, it is about balance, middle path, zen, yadda-yadda-yadda... So what does that accomplish? We already know there are two sides to most issues, thanks for the info. Of course, short of the Force line, everything else in the orthodox code would resemble classical stoic teachings though, and the "yet"-framing is at best just failing to represent that and arguably speaks of the opposite instead. That's why the new pattern of displaying the codes as parallel and giving different views on "the same teaching" sounds discretely iffy to me, though I suppose that'd be a discussion all on its own, and with some brain spine breaking mental gymnastics there sure will be some apologetic to talk the elephant back out of the room when it didn't have to be brought in the first place... To be frank, and this is my opinion only, I think the "orthodox" code is by far the more useful one. Where the "yet" version only tells you that there just are some opposites here and there, it barely makes a judgement or prescription. It tells you nothing about what to strive for nor gives you insight into anything you hadn't already internalized by the time you read it. On the other hand, the "orthodox" code is way more judgemental and strict. That may not always be a good thing (the Temple has had its share of newcomers who needed that explained and smoothed out for them), and I also understand everyone who ever gets confused by the parallelistic format when the lines are so different (and please, someone, push me to finally write my complete essay/treatise of the orthodox code), but at least it makes a statement, which is, again, more than can be said of the "yet" version. Sorry if I was being harsh again :unsure:

There are 290 visitors, 4 guests and 21 members online (one is in chat): Br. John, Jestor, ren, Adder, Darren, Psyddhattha, Reacher, MCSH, WiebeTiemenKramer, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, Nicole Judge, tzb, Senan, Zenchi, jadedbehan, crystale, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Xan, Sahyu.

Follow Us