Intrest in Learning about Buddhism

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 26 Apr 2012 13:21 #57868

• csmith
  • Novice
  • ID: 10203
Hello, I am interested in learning more about Buddhism. I was wondering if any current practioners know of any really good resources to learn more about some of the teachings and beliefs?

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 11:40 #57987

• Aceboizor
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 7902
Hiya csmith! There are some great lectures right here on the forums! Just explore the Eastern studies threads a bit and see what you like. There are also some fantastic book recommendations in the TOTJO Library thread (under Training & Library) available to all temple members. I myself quite like anything written by the Dalai Lama, who has a wonderful view of the world and Buddhism's place within it.

Then there are the really basic ways, like Wikipedia. XP Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Learn_To_Know

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 13:17 #58000

• csmith
  • Novice
  • ID: 10203
Thank you, for some reason it didn't occur to me that people might put an informational on buddhism in there. I can be pretty freaking special sometimes.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Down's Syndrome... (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: I want to ask what the significance of Down's syndrome is? I mean is it a flaw? Or maybe some kind of gene expression that is more fit to survive? Don't quote me on this, but I believe the higher increase in Down's babies is to do with the age of the parents. The older the parents, the more likely they are have to children with it.
    • Cultural misappropriation (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • It is a part of our zeitgeist to look for something which has become culturally acceptable to 'hate'. I attended and worked for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for a number of years. There was this exact same complaint on behalf of Native Americans concerning the logo of the university : it is an effigy of the Chief Illiniwek. I never took a side in this controvery, feeling that both sides were arguing from fashionable ideology rather than from true conviction - the 'in-group/out-group' teeter-totter again .... I have always wondered if there truly was a line somewhere to cross ; at what point does honouring or respecting a symbol (or just "liking" it for that matter) become 'mockery' or 'exploitation' ? How many of the people screaming "racism" - some are even bold enough to say 'fascism' - have decorations like 'dream catchers' in their cars, on their walls, as key-chains ? Recently, say the past few years, the Union Jack has become rather popular fashion : we find it everywhere, from phone-covers to handbags to clothing ... This is the symbol of a once proud Empire which, love it or hate it (there are causes for both), stands for a disposition and value-system beyond the trendiness of the trademark. I don't hear anyone screaming about that ... :whistle: ... but how is it different ? This said, I don't know either. I didn't take up a position with regard to the Chief Illiniwek and I won't about the rest. If I see someone's human rights being abused now (not a century ago), then I shall. It is just something to ponder ...
    • Recurring Dreams (Last post by Whyte Horse)
    • Quote: Quote: Why the interest in recurring dreams in particular Rickie? You're a devil. :evil: :) :laugh: How much of my PM do you want me to post? Dude just post the whole thing
    • The Imperishable Gem (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • "Quand j'étais bouddhiste je rendais fou ma famille et mes amis, mais maintenant que je suis devenu un bouddha, je ne dérange plus personne." ~ anonyme "When I was a Buddhist, I drove ma family and friends crazy, but now that I have become a Buddha, I don't bother anyone any-more." ~ anonymous
    • Favorite Art (Last post by MikeBudo)
    • Greetings Each I did this back in May Had no intention of doing any art as I'm not artistic but this does tell a story of my new begining and dealing with PTSD :)
    • Jedi Badges (?) (Last post by RyuJin)
    • I feel ya on the tat....just check the avatar...lol It does garner considerable attention...
    • ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) (Last post by tzb)
    • Here's my Star Wars themed vid: Another interesting point, when you donate to ALSA you can choose for the whole of your donation to go towards research: [image]
    • Volunteer Work (Last post by crystale)
    • I did post a topic on relationship with this,sorry my awkwardness :huh:
    • Volunteer Service (Last post by crystale)
    • Hello, in Brotherhood. Usually I not make new topics. I like to think that I can help,maybe with a small tip. I like to watch and preservate the nature of many things (without) ,or (in less) participation (mine) Maybe sound as contradiction that some times I like participate in some things that can create a trascendental change,this can to create my inner personal conmotion (as expression) I describe myself as a sensitive person This is my point: I want to offer some service,in relationship to help some people that (in middle of maybe a tiring,or some times violent society,some of us can to feel tired or confused... I have this behaviour of preocupation with people around many times. (But now is with brothers here) Is not about rank,degrees,or group/s. Can to be nice for me to listen, in private messages maybe,or in this thread, some personal concerns, trouble, or worry. Some times maybe technical needs ? I do not offer answers to all but I try to activate a mechanism of positive change. Also I need a one other volunteer,perhaps more preparated, or high ranked, to,some times... I express a general idea of general preocupations, as summary for him... sounds like policy? The idea also is about particular concerns (Is a trying.....(humble..... If my idea is not considered "good",or if this work actually is under treatment by other people... I offer my apologies. (I sure of course many people is helping in very organized way) This idea is maybe for other needs,maybe considered in minor urgency, or hard to express. (?) Or mediation in mid of two parts in conflict...? or other ? This is not strictly for new members. Some times we all feel in the need to drink a coffe (or tea)with someone ready to listen ...some times is just thats... "hey bro I was have a hard day today"....as example,or maybe other more complex In other way of expression I want to say: I am opened to listen. I don't sure how many people is needed for this kindly ocupation Is not my intention get a some functional or politic position Perhaps many people know /having how ...or who ...or where go. perhaps others, not. So.. this is my worry. If is not good idea, I use this topic to say I'm here. ;)
    • The Misuses of "Criticism" (Last post by Targeran Arynal)
    • NB 'The impreciseness of the paraphrase of this as 'I know that I know nothing' stems from the fact that the author is not saying that he does not know anything but means instead that one cannot know anything with absolute certainty but can feel confident about certain things.' Stokes, Michael C. (1997). Apology of Socrates. Warminster: Aris & Phillips. p. 18. ISBN 0-85668-371-X.
    • Non-Conformity... (Last post by Runelunan)
    • Great point! If you look at it another way you could see it as: All is changing and therefore an illusion or not real; we are the gods, our essence is unchanging, therefore we are real. We need to heed the warnings of conformity because to do otherwise would result in our destruction, as the Universe is ever changing, we need to deal with it.
    • Live Service - Thursday 28th August - 19 UTC (Last post by RyuJin)
    • We really do need a phone friendly chat app...I get booted from chat frequently...and if I don't get booted I can't see what I'm typing...and the chat won't autoscroll so I have to keep manually scrolling which keeps changing the view.....
    • Ebola (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: Apparently there is an experimental treatment, and so far it seems to be working on the 2americans that have been treated with it...time will tell for certain though ZMapp, its not 100%, a Doctor who was infected had it but died anyway. Seems to make the odd's more favorable though. Apparently it takes months to produce!!! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZMapp

There are 195 visitors, 7 guests and 14 members online (one is in chat): Akkarin, Zanthan Storm, roy1593, Adder, Psyddhattha, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Whyte Horse, Arcade, Llama Su, zeronycon, tzb, jadedbehan, Trice Corbel, Harel, Targeran Arynal, Acheron.

Follow Us