Intrest in Learning about Buddhism

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 26 Apr 2012 13:21 #57868

Hello, I am interested in learning more about Buddhism. I was wondering if any current practioners know of any really good resources to learn more about some of the teachings and beliefs?
Peace be with you.

Also, keep being awesome.

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 11:40 #57987

• Aceboizor
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 7902
Hiya csmith! There are some great lectures right here on the forums! Just explore the Eastern studies threads a bit and see what you like. There are also some fantastic book recommendations in the TOTJO Library thread (under Training & Library) available to all temple members. I myself quite like anything written by the Dalai Lama, who has a wonderful view of the world and Buddhism's place within it.

Then there are the really basic ways, like Wikipedia. XP Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, LTK

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 13:17 #58000

Thank you, for some reason it didn't occur to me that people might put an informational on buddhism in there. I can be pretty freaking special sometimes.
Peace be with you.

Also, keep being awesome.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Jediism? (Last post by Jestor)
    • Since this ISNT the Gathered Force Community, perhaps we can discuss this site? We too have a map, located here: www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Offline-activities :)
    • Beyond Carnism and towards Rational, Authentic Foo... (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: Perhaps I would be more honest(with myself) in saying I believe(not know) they feel it on a level we can not(so far been unable) quantify. If we pretend for a moment that it will take more than simple science to explain everything in the universe, almost every animist culture agrees that (on a spiritual level) plants do feel pain when hurt, and fear when threatened, without the proper respect or rites.
    • speed of light (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • most of this i admit is over my head - i can understand it eventually but it takes a few go arounds so forgive me if i ask the same question again after its been answered i just want to understand anyway, speed is relative i understand that, and there is no speed without externality eg something outside of the moving object by which to measure speed ive read that it is impossible for mass to move at the speed of light - which i can understand as being a rule but i dont understand what MAKES IT a rule and so i was wondering if, since the rules all change as it were after a certain speed, is it theoretically possible that mass actully decreases at a certain speed? or another way of asking is it theoretically possible that the process of achieving light speed actually transforms mass into light?
    • Cultural Appropriation (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: I'm just going to sneak in at the end here and place this link: instinctmagazine.com/post/uk-students-un...n-acting-black-women I make no comments... OHNO THEY DITANT! :snap: :headtilt:
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Quote: To whoever designed the Capri-Sun drink pouch, you owe me an ounce of fruit punch and a new shirt. Who thought squeezing an aluminum pouch and stabbing it with a sharp plastic straw would be the best way to distribute a beverage? [image] :pinch: :angry: too bad there isn't a "super like" button....because that is hilarious....i've lost count of how man times capri sun has blasted me..
    • Making of a Jedi Warrior (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • i prefer in certain instances to disregard the idea of defense or defending, and substitute it for the idea of attacking the attack this first video for me is not so much actual knife response as it is general intro to krav 360 technique which i had meant to put first up but oh well
    • The Art of Self-Discipline (Last post by Luthien)
    • Self-discipline... For me, it's about what one wishes to accomplish, or complete, or whatever the goal is which motivates one to take the necessary steps toward it. Quite simply, it's being able to overcome how you feel to do what you need to do. The reason it's so difficult for everybody is because everybody's goals are typically different. Personally, the simpler something is to do, the easier it is to maintain in the long run. If you overcomplicate the process of your daily living, it won't be sustainable for very long. You notice something that you want to change, come up with an effective solution, and stick with it until it becomes part of your daily life. Then, it doesn't take any more than a thought to remember what you need to do. Sometimes the goal isn't very simple, but adding a step at a time will bring you closer to it, you just have to be patient with yourself and keep your motivation, somehow, as there is no one solution which is applicable for every person. It's the drive, the hunger for more, the thirst for better. Essentially, it's what Buddhism sets out to free you from; desire, thus suffering. But, if you would suffer for a short while to achieve your long-term goals, you will be happy and free. Work with your philosophic, thinking mind to create that discipline you seek. I've heard it said that you may master something only if you know how to simplify it, though that's not always the case. One can show understanding by being able to explain in simple terms, most of the time. One can show mastery of an art by how simply they create, or express themselves. One can show mastery of their own life by how simply they live. I think it takes a lot of discipline to keep one's life simple. I'm currently working on doing that, myself, so I constantly ask myself whether something is essential, or just a waste. I also constantly have to keep my pride in check, or remember to remain humble. It's with humility that I am able to surpass prior limitations. Too much thought may cloud your judgment. If you find yourself overthinking things like I do, step away from it and re-approach it with a fresher mind. That's all I have for now. I would like to help as much as I can, but I'm not sure if what I said was helpful. Take it with a grain of salt, I guess.
    • "If you're not doing anything wrong..." (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • - unless dispatch recieved a call stating that violence has already happened - shots fired, someone attacked, fleeing armed robbery ect, first responding officer armed only with a body cam and a radio he is not allowed to touch suspects and not allowed to chase suspects all she is allowed to do is talk -her responsibility is to see whats going on and to bring the situation to an acceptable resolution - these officers are being monitered by a nearby partner but cannot be interfered with by other officers unless they request it or are attacked penalty for attacking this officer should be severe - like really really severe - mandatory, and with no possibility of time reduction the condition for this is that the footage has to be intact or demonstrate that the suspect initiated aggression before equipment failure - every citizen walking the street should be legally allowed to carry every item that every regular REGULAR PATROL officer is allowed to carry on regular patrol duty INCLUDING the radio with accompanying frequencies - officers only to regular patrol areas which they live in, or within 15 - 20 miles of if no officers live there - rookie officers without children are required to live in high crime areas for a predetermined time not to be less than one year - every surveillance cam in the world should be live streamed onto the www 24-7 available for anyone anywhere in the world to access in real time - the white house is allowed ONE room WITHOUT twenty hr video/audio surveillance and it has one door which is live streamed at all times so we can see who goes in and how long they are in there foriegn nations and appointed observers also moniter the door at all times - all government business not conducted in said room business must be conducted under live moniter and accessable to the entire world

There are 260 visitors, 7 guests and 35 members online (3  in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Shadouness, Firewolf, RyuJin, ren, Dechlain, Connor L., Adder, LTK, Proteus, Luthien, Reacher, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Silvermane, Wudan, Cabur Senaar, KalSterner, Goken, Matsukaze, Jeffery Williams, Tarran, Tk768, rvm, Atticus509, GreySong, Nabon, Giz0404, The Penguin, Oakenshaw, Winston.

Follow Us