Intrest in Learning about Buddhism

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 26 Apr 2012 13:21 #57868

Hello, I am interested in learning more about Buddhism. I was wondering if any current practioners know of any really good resources to learn more about some of the teachings and beliefs?
Peace be with you.

Also, keep being awesome.

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 11:40 #57987

• Aceboizor
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 7902
Hiya csmith! There are some great lectures right here on the forums! Just explore the Eastern studies threads a bit and see what you like. There are also some fantastic book recommendations in the TOTJO Library thread (under Training & Library) available to all temple members. I myself quite like anything written by the Dalai Lama, who has a wonderful view of the world and Buddhism's place within it.

Then there are the really basic ways, like Wikipedia. XP Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, LTK

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 13:17 #58000

Thank you, for some reason it didn't occur to me that people might put an informational on buddhism in there. I can be pretty freaking special sometimes.
Peace be with you.

Also, keep being awesome.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • HEMA, what is it? (Last post by Torran)
    • Hello, M Gray! I am a HEMA fencer myself, been studying for almost 6 years. Your post left me with the impression that you have been training with a group. I am interested in learning what and where you study, specifically :)
    • Humble and Egotist (Last post by Adder)
    • An egoist might be someone who's self identity is focused on using egotism to relate to concepts, so I guess egotism is like an offensive posture of preemptive and counter attack to any negative association back to their self (by others or themselves). So you could imagine then that some things might appear egotistic when not. I think the later has opportunity to include humility, while also still having the capacity to appear egotistic.... just to confuse the issue. But an egotist (by trade, LOL) is probably running some serious self denial perhaps to the point of constructing delusions of grandeur. Humble is a good (best?) approach IMO, but once things get to details sometimes a thorough posture can be quite disarming and perceived as offensive, in the above context. But can be being humble used as a TRAP?!!!! The egotist could use humility to shape circumstance to lead into their egotism! The workforce is full of people running their own agenda's to the point of tearing others down for their own benefit and its long been said the sociopath is the most convincing personality - because not only are they themselves are a lie, but they've been practising it their whole lives. So long as the team on the Forest Moon of Endor gets the shield down we'll be ok LOL, but in the workplace there has to be a measure of self preservation.. IMO just not at the design of the expense of others. :S
    • Jedism hippies? (Last post by Aqua)
    • If I would ask: ,,How can I know that different hippies like the same kind of music.'' Jestor would have asked: ,,What is music?'' If I would ask: ,,How can rules affect a faith?'' Jestor would have asked: ,,What is affection?'' When Jestor asked himself: ,,Why is Aqua trying to type what I think?'' Aqua would have said: ,,Knowing the mind of a person is not harder than expressing yourself.'' Just wondering.. what would happen if all people would give equal value to the same principles or rules? Would we still be able to separate an individual from a group? If principles are so important for groups, why is it that we find it so difficult to express the line between ourselves and others groups? How can it be, that understanding our self is just as difficult as understanding a group? :blush:
    • saber build (Last post by RyuJin)
    • once the parts arrive i'll be using this thread as a sort of tutorial.... my old ultrasaber was never oiled....6years and going and it still opens just fine...the body for my new build wasn't oiled either and it doesn't stick....but i'm constantly opening both sabers.....worst case scenario i'll use some oil from my gun cleaning kit....
    • Posting Pictures (Last post by Jestor)
    • Quote: So if I'm understanding you I using my phone to access the internet and the forum so it will upload right from my phones picture album? Yes? Yep...
    • a question about the value of human life (Last post by Ariane)
    • I am lost this conversation is confusing, We should do a survey or a poll to find out what other people think. Does human life have value? Do people support a tyranny of this magnitude?
    • The Sixth Extinction (Last post by Locksley)
    • A positive outlook was what I started it on: Quote: Our intelligence and our technology have given us the power to affect the climate. How will we use this power? Are we willing to tolerate ignorance and complacency in matters that affect the entire human family? Do we value short-term advantages above the welfare of the Earth? Or will we think on longer time scales, with concern for our children and our grandchildren, to understand and protect the complex life-support systems of our planet? The Earth is a tiny and fragile world. It needs to be cherished. [ Source ] ~Carl Sagan So, yes, I did start this with hearing positive possibilities, as well as various concerns (and possible solutions to those concerns). Actually I tried to leave it pretty open-ended, but I certainly started it with a note of positivity directed at solutions to issues we face. "In any case, this thread was hardly geared toward solutions" isn't quite accurate.
    • The End of Casual Christianity (Last post by Alan)
    • To build and dwell within is what humans do. Like us, the sacred dwells amidst all that is. May faiths build a place for their sacred and what that sacred is will determine the dwelling's purpose. A gathering place. A temple to house the deity. An expression of beliefs held. Some buildings are mirrors of the cosmos, like Hindu and Buddhist temples or American Plains Indian teepees. Some religions have no building, like the ancient Zoroastrians, but only a fire altar upon the hilltop. Christian sacred space is within church walls and is of a different theological quality than the profane world outside. The Muslim's prayer rug is a representation of the Garden of Eden where, like Paradise itself, puts the believer in direct contact through prayer with Allah the Merciful. Some sacred places have buildings erected there and the myth of that place is represented in the temple, as in Shinto. Theology informs architecture.

There are 556 visitors, 19 guests and 55 members online (2  in chat): Akkarin, Grom Fett, steamboat28, Shadouness, Firewolf, RyuJin, Jestor, Karn, Adder, Brian, Proteus, Locksley, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Elemental Harmony, Alan, PatrickB, J. K. Barger, Calem, Archon, Kamizu, LuCrae Jiddu, Edan, klyde, Pyrus Erath, peace, efuller18, Venator Mortis, Calanon, Cabur Senaar, Goken, Aqua, GalUnDrux, Jeffery Williams, Torran, Rocda, Tk768, Ariane, Loudzoo, Atticus509, Krieger, asteropos, MaGnA CrYsTaL, WayneTec, Competent, Protonix, Adi Vas, CryojenX, MarkBrereton, Blind, hersione, definitivebuzzard, Stroke, Izoshua, Zander, theta, MichaelP1029, RKnowles, Klutot, FriendlyLion, dfpickett, OJMyers, Anons_usa, Corsair Gorscue.

Follow Us