Intrest in Learning about Buddhism

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 26 Apr 2012 13:21 #57868

• csmith
  • Novice
  • ID: 10203
Hello, I am interested in learning more about Buddhism. I was wondering if any current practioners know of any really good resources to learn more about some of the teachings and beliefs?

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 11:40 #57987

• Aceboizor
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 7902
Hiya csmith! There are some great lectures right here on the forums! Just explore the Eastern studies threads a bit and see what you like. There are also some fantastic book recommendations in the TOTJO Library thread (under Training & Library) available to all temple members. I myself quite like anything written by the Dalai Lama, who has a wonderful view of the world and Buddhism's place within it.

Then there are the really basic ways, like Wikipedia. XP Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Learn_To_Know

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 13:17 #58000

• csmith
  • Novice
  • ID: 10203
Thank you, for some reason it didn't occur to me that people might put an informational on buddhism in there. I can be pretty freaking special sometimes.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • What is TOTJO? (Last post by Br. John)
    • I won't try and give a definition of success but I can give a guaranteed recipe for failure. Try to please everybody. If The Order tries to be everything to everyone it will become nothing for anyone. And that's true even within the smaller subset of people who call themselves Jedi or aspire to be Jedi.
    • Definitions? (Last post by Brenna)
    • Quote: Quote: And I have already asked you about this (my questions were below, so save you the time looking for them - and since I appeared to have wiped out my post. ACK) but Im curious. TOTJO has been the most visible group for a long time without too much grumbling. And weve been operating the same way without too much fuss on definitions or taking the other groups into account in our day to day posting. Why the sudden interest on other groups and their definitions being visible and "represented" here on TOTJO? You're not the first in the last little while. Why is this an issue now? I did not say that the other communities needed to be represented here at totjo. I said that totjo needed to be careful on how they go about defining and standardizing their own process so as to avoid general definition. IE: members of totjo practice Jedi as a religion known as jediism. Vs Jedi is a religion known as jediism One clearly defines the stamens as totjo beliefs while the other generalizes the term "Jedi" as a religion. To alot of us...it is not. I'm sorry if I have misunderstood, thats how I thought it came across. As Jestor pointed out we claim to be "A" Jedi Temple. And as Cabur pointed out when we speak here, we speak amongst ourselves for ourselves. As any group does. It also states very clearly that we talk about Jediism here. You mentioned in your hypothetical situation that you're concerned about "new" people finding only TOTJO, and TOTJO being the flag bearer for the community, because other groups should be given a chance. A chance at what? The existence of totjo does not prevent anyone from doing anything. Forgive me, but I'm finding it difficult to understand exactly what the issue is here. Beyond the fact that TOTJO is far more visible to outsiders than other groups.
    • American men, American media, and the villificatio... (Last post by Oneiros)
    • Quote: I think the main concern is about young boys being harmed. The asumption that young boys are being "harmed" by this is wrong because the basis for that article and that line of thinking is also wrong. The sort of paranoia that that article is based on and promotes is not healthy or helpful to righting any of the imagined wrongs that it claims to point out.
    • Taoism (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • This is for Alexandre. We spoke in chat the other day and I didn't have the likn available to show him; www.taowoods.org/quote/index.htm Enjoy
    • Forum Access Changes (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Quote: Feel free to be dissapointed all you would like. Throw a temper tantrum too if you wish. While you do, we will still be here getting things done to improve matters just as we always have. This does not entail dismissing anybody, however those who scream and cry because everything did not happen the way they demanded will only be making things harder on themselves to be thoroughly considered. Going into threads protesting that the knights and council are all dismissive has no constructive basis and only contributes to the already existing conflicts that we are trying to settle. Seems strongly worded, maybe out of frustration? I'm not happy about this anymore now than I was when it first came out but I'm letting go of it. Maybe some/most of us should let this thread rest, take some time for the water to settle down and the air to clear? Peace :)
    • Course Comms (Last post by tzb)
    • Discussion 6 - The Road of Trials now available: www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/the-h...6-the-road-of-trials PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE COURSE COMMS THREAD

There are 139 visitors, 6 guests and 27 members online (one is in chat): Br. John, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Firewolf, Jestor, Karn, Kitsu Tails, Brian, Learn_To_Know, Darren, Proteus, Rosalyn J, Gallileo Oortael, Arcade, Brenna, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Edan, Silvermane, SilverWolf, carlos.martinez3, Cabur Senaar, SeventhSL, Acheron, Oneiros, Dessel761, Exarchias, dhaughewald, danielhwhite, Damianmarcos, Lance.

Follow Us