Way Of Sorrows

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Way Of Sorrows 23 Mar 2008 01:32 #12777

• Yoda
  • ID: 908
The Stations of the Cross (or Way of the Cross ; in Latin , Via Crucis ; also called the Via Dolorosa or Way of Sorrows , or simply, The Way ) refers to the depiction of the final hours (or Passion ) of Jesus , and the devotion commemorating the Passion. The tradition as chapel devotion began with St. Francis of Assisi and extended throughout the Roman Catholic Church in the medieval period. It is less often observed in Anglicanism , and Lutheranism as well. It may be done at any time, but is most commonly done during the Season of Lent , especially on Good Friday and on Friday evenings during Lent . On Good Friday 1991, Pope John Paul II introduced a new form of devotion, called the Scriptural Way of the Cross which calls for more meditation. He celebrated that thereafter at the Colosseum The object of the Stations is to help the faithful to make a spiritual pilgrimage of prayer, through meditating upon the chief scenes of Christ's sufferings and death. It has become one of the most popular devotions for Roman Catholics, as well as featuring in the worship and devotion of other Christian denominations . In the Roman Catholic tradition, the meditation is often performed in a spirit of reparation for the sufferings and insults that Jesus endured during His Passion. In his encyclical Miserentissimus Redemptor on reparations, Pope Pius XI called Acts of Reparation to Jesus Christ a duty for Catholics and refered to them as \" some sort of compensation to be rendered for the injury \" with respect to the sufferings of Jesus. Pope John Paul II referred to Acts of Reparation as the \" unceasing effort to stand beside the endless crosses on which the Son of God continues to be crucified \". The Stations themselves are usually a series of 14* pictures or sculptures depicting the following scenes: Jesus is condemned to death Jesus receives the cross Jesus falls the first time Jesus meets His Mother Simon of Cyrene carries the cross Veronica wipes Jesus' face with her veil Jesus falls the second time Jesus meets the daughters of Jerusalem Jesus falls the third time Jesus is stripped of His garments Crucifixion : Jesus is nailed to the cross Jesus dies on the cross Jesus' body is removed from the cross ( Pieta ) Jesus is laid in the tomb and covered in incense. Pope John Paul II created a version, for the Roman Catholic Church, in which all of the Stations were taken from Scripture known as the Scriptural Way of the Cross . It was first publicly celebrated by Pope John Paul II on Good Friday 1991 in the Coliseum in Rome . In 2007, Pope Benedict XVI approved this set of stations for meditation and public celebration: They follow this sequence: Jesus in the Garden of Olives, Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested, Jesus is condemned by the Sanhedrin, Jesus is denied by Peter, Jesus is judged by Pilate, Jesus is scourged and crowned with thorns, Jesus takes up his cross, Jesus is helped by Simon to carry his cross, Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem, Jesus is crucified, Jesus promises his kingdom to the good thief, Jesus and his mother and disciple, Jesus dies on the cross, Jesus is laid in the tomb. In the Roman Catholic Church, Pope John Paul II led an annual public prayer of the Stations of the Cross at the Roman Colosseum on Good Friday. Originally, the Pope himself carried the cross from station to station, but in his last years, he presided over the celebration from a stage on the Palatine Hill , while others carried the cross. Just days prior to his death in 2005, Pope John Paul II observed the Stations of the Cross from his private chapel in the Vatican . Each year a different person is invited to write the meditation texts for the Stations. Past composers of the Papal Stations include several non-Catholics. The Holy Father himself wrote the texts for the Jubilee year 2000 and used the traditional Stations. The celebration of the Stations of the Cross is especially common on the Fridays of Lent, especially Good Friday. Community celebrations are usually accompanied by various songs and prayers. Particularly common as musical accompaniment is the sequence Stabat Mater Dolorosa . At the end of each station, the Adoramus Te is sometimes sung. The Alleluia is also sung; however, that holy word is buried during Lent. Structurally, Mel Gibson 's 2004 film, The Passion of Christ , follows the Stations of the Cross. The fourteenth and last station, the Burial, is not prominently depicted (compared to the other thirteen) but it is implied since the last shot before credit titles is Jesus resurrected and about to leave the tomb.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • TotJO on Vice (French) (Last post by mdk)
    • Merci Alex. Belle representation. On peut se sentir fier d'être Jedi ;) (bien que ça ne soit pas le but, bien sûr)
    • "The Death of Expertise" (Last post by Gisteron)
    • Quote: Expertise is relative. So is fact for the most part. Expertise is quantifiable. Of course, how much of an expert anybody is on any given subject remains dependant on the quantifier's standard for measuring said expertise. So it is subjective, in the sense that it is subject to the measuring stick we use. It is relative in the sense that one can compare levels of expertise. In the sense that it is a blurry unclear term that means little to nothing in practice, expertise is neither. Fact, on the other hand, is relative in no sense of the word. A fact is a point of data that is not in dispute because it either passes all coherent sets of epistemic filters or is incorrigible and skips epistemic filters for that reason. Quote: Some things are indisputable (for the moment anyway. Things change). No, actually, everything that is indisputable now has always been so and shall forever remain indisputable. Everything that can be disputed, either is being disputed this very instant or has been disputed already to a maximal amount provided the current information supply. Quote: When there's people involved, I dont know that anything can be purely factual or objective, even if a person is highly experienced. Scientists on both side of the climate change debate comes to mind. Purely factual, yes, things can be. Objective, probably not so much. That not any one expert is right by default goes without saying, as does that any finite set of them would be. We do not believe experts because that's what they elected to call each other but rather we trust them based on their track record and their independant convergence on particular conclusions over others. We test them against each other, as they do themselves and we test them against the little evidence that we can gather ourselves. We ought never to appeal to their authority alone. And if a situation arises where three very well paid experts from three oil refineries happen to "dispute" the climate change observations that about three million experts from research centers and universities around the world struggling to keep their labs afloat made, maybe what we think is a debate in the scientific community really, really isn't one. Unfortunately popular science media isn't exactly helpful in this regard... Also, @ae242: The FDA is under the jurisdiction of the US federal government. It is an organ to regulate and supervise foods and drugs, not a center of scientific research in either medicine or nutrition. That is not to say that they are wrong about any one given issue or that they do not have credible experts in all the right places, but it is a call to caution to appeal to it as an authority on matters of public health. As for homosexualiy and the DSM, it was removed as a mental disorder not "recently" but as long ago as 1973, thank you very much, and hasn't been back in ever since. The reason it was removed was - guess it - research comparing the behaviour of heterosexual to homosexual people and finding no consistent correlation of their sexuality to anything outside of it; research, that one might say had not been previously done, rendering previous conclusions premature and the new ones supported by studies specifically designed to address the question at hand. I would say that a habit to change one's mind after collecting new, more relevant, and more conclusive evidence is what makes somebody not only reasonable in the literal sense of the word but also honest and by implication trustworthy; and anything less than that deserves, in my experience, no place in science, let alone our trust.
    • Terrance McKenna - Reclaim your mind (Last post by Connor L.)
    • I think you're definitely right. That's why I listed out my Hierarchy of Creative Achievement above. We have to have foundations, fulfillment, a sense of purpose, a compassionate mind (toward the self and others), a connective spirit and attitude of service, and then be able to have a feeling of Artistic Achievement. Without foundations, we are lost in our inability to stay alive. Without fulfillment, we are forever searching for something we don't have. Without a sense of purpose (notice: I didn't say actually having a purpose), we continue to try and fill a void which does not exist. Without compassion, we only seek to fulfill the self, therefore the art is not reaching out... only pulling in. Without a spirit of service, the art is cold and unfeeling. But, with all those in place, the art is magical. We can be an artistic Engineer. An artistic Blacksmith. An artistic Janitor. Or, even, yes, an artistic Painter, poet, writer, etc. Art must be supported by the rest of the foundational material. Which, I think, must come from having a good relationship with our mind and spirit. Which, is the point I think McKenna is trying to make.
    • online education and e-learning (Last post by Adder)
    • Do you have much experience with different e-learning websites? I've done heaps (too many am burnt out lol) at Coursera, and had a look at various other MOOCs such as EdX. I think the Uni I did postgrad at used an early version of Moodle but that was awhile ago now. What qualities in an online class do you like? What do you "not like"? Video lectures, and the speed up playback option of Coursera was great as some lecturers speak a little slow sometimes. I like a tight assessment process such as a timer - as without the pressure it does not forge learning IMO. I liked provision of lecture content such as text and images available as separate downloads to assist self study. The forum mediated participation has potential but would need to be much more structured, perhaps like more like a live lecture in 'text' form but over 24 hours and not actually live. I was never able to participate in live video lectures due to timezones so unable to comment on that. I don't like self paced stuff so much... the internet is big enough already for me to self pace in basically anything, so I think an online class should push the student through a body of material as a supported process of mental exercise. What sites rise to the top? Coursera was my fav, of those few I tried. Has anyone used google classroom? Nope, I had not heard of it, will have a look though, thanks!
    • Conscientious Objection to Military Taxation(COMT)... (Last post by Adder)
    • The Cold War was not the invention of US foreign policy though, US foreign policy was a reaction to the Cold War. It's a complex topic that's for sure. If people didn't fight we wouldn't need a military, or at least anything as large. I'm with you on the peace as ideal. Some might say its an illusion which needs conflict to contrast it, but I disagree. I think the contrast can be achieved within the individual enough without it being carried on externally in society.
    • Live Sermon August 1 1900 UTC (Last post by Rosalyn J)
    • Hi everyone I will be delivering a live sermon on August 1, 2015 at 1900 UTC entitled Jedi Justice to open up this months theme: Inequity Yet Justice. I look forward to seeing some of you there and assure you that a written counterpart will be made available to those who cannot make it :) Ros
    • Once Again, Scientists Conclude That There's No Ev... (Last post by Luthien)
    • Quote: I've got to disagree with that. Let's take alcohol for example. www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nut...alcohol/art-20044551 In small amounts, it will: Reduce your risk of developing and dying from heart disease Possibly reduce your risk of ischemic stroke (when the arteries to your brain become narrowed or blocked, causing severely reduced blood flow) Possibly reduce your risk of diabetes. But in large amounts, whether you're healthy or sick, alcohol can kill you. Is that not what homeopathy is? Small doses of a substance producing good effects while large doses of the same substance produces bad effects? No. Homeopathy would be more like: * Too much alcohol is deadly. * If I dilute it by a factor of 10−12 (one part in one trillion or 1/1,000,000,000,000), one can get the body used to the alcohol with each dosage. * The higher the dilution factor, the more potent the dosage. Now, aside from the first assertion, which part makes sense? An oversimplification, I know, but pretty close, imo.
    • Rosalyn J, Deacon, Ceremony, 2015 (Last post by CryojenX)
    • Quote: Since we'd planned to be there anyway, we'll carry on with a live service -- it will be presented by Edan. So, if anyone was planning on coming, we'll still be there .... Hope to see you all there. ;) Bummer! I had to bow out before the decision was made due to migraine leftovers. I hope the service will at some point be posted for those who weren't there. :)
    • Leave of Absence, Extended. (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Until further notice, I am taking an extended leave of absence from my status and position as a Licensed Minister. If, upon further reflection, I still feel that the issues that prompted this leave will remain in effect beyond my ability to affect them, I will renounce said position. We'll see what the future holds. -M. W.
    • Does "love" work? (Last post by baru)
    • I am discovering that my ultimate purpose is to allow experiences to flow through me and to radiate love into the world. I feel that if all I did (with all that I do) was allow the force to express itself through me in a loving way, I would be "saving the world". I do feel that this world needs as much love as it can to help heal all of the wounding that leads to the "trauma" that is perpetuating it. We are creating our own monsters with how we treat each other. If we want to sooth the beast, we need to take the thorn out of our own paw so we can see the light in all things. I have discovered that "gratitude" is an amazingly powerful healing practice.
    • alternatives to Facebook? (Last post by Kitsu Tails)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: Please tell me more about this?? :D EDIT: I feel like such a boob - Gathered Force Community is in FB :P lol And here I thought it was a Jedi social media thing all on its own :D ahahahaha Umm.....It is....it's own thing....all on its own ;) The Facebook Page is just a platform of connectivity....much like TOTJO's very own facebook page ;) Try putting the words together.....and a .com at the end of those words ;) maybe even add a http://www. before the words.....Warning<-- Kit is being silly gatheredforcecommunity.com/ Hey John! I just got a surprise last night (Like...literally at 1am in the morning....) So I will be focusing on the map again, see if I can't figure out the problem. It's sadly expired on some of the perks so....we shall see. I will figure this out Rawr!!!

There are 549 visitors, 7 guests and 25 members online (one in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Sarus, Grom Fett, steamboat28, Shadouness, Jestor, Adder, Gisteron, isisinabi, PatrickB, Archon, Kamizu, mdk, Cyrith, Edan, Cristris_Jons, Puerh, cm_chasse, Rocda, Archpoet, Plasmawiz, Tellahane, herbalc, Corsair Gorscue, adventureexcitement242, Spartanmeup, 6h057, yeltneb.

Follow Us