Way Of Sorrows

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Way Of Sorrows 23 Mar 2008 01:32 #12777

• Yoda
  • ID: 908
The Stations of the Cross (or Way of the Cross ; in Latin , Via Crucis ; also called the Via Dolorosa or Way of Sorrows , or simply, The Way ) refers to the depiction of the final hours (or Passion ) of Jesus , and the devotion commemorating the Passion. The tradition as chapel devotion began with St. Francis of Assisi and extended throughout the Roman Catholic Church in the medieval period. It is less often observed in Anglicanism , and Lutheranism as well. It may be done at any time, but is most commonly done during the Season of Lent , especially on Good Friday and on Friday evenings during Lent . On Good Friday 1991, Pope John Paul II introduced a new form of devotion, called the Scriptural Way of the Cross which calls for more meditation. He celebrated that thereafter at the Colosseum The object of the Stations is to help the faithful to make a spiritual pilgrimage of prayer, through meditating upon the chief scenes of Christ's sufferings and death. It has become one of the most popular devotions for Roman Catholics, as well as featuring in the worship and devotion of other Christian denominations . In the Roman Catholic tradition, the meditation is often performed in a spirit of reparation for the sufferings and insults that Jesus endured during His Passion. In his encyclical Miserentissimus Redemptor on reparations, Pope Pius XI called Acts of Reparation to Jesus Christ a duty for Catholics and refered to them as \" some sort of compensation to be rendered for the injury \" with respect to the sufferings of Jesus. Pope John Paul II referred to Acts of Reparation as the \" unceasing effort to stand beside the endless crosses on which the Son of God continues to be crucified \". The Stations themselves are usually a series of 14* pictures or sculptures depicting the following scenes: Jesus is condemned to death Jesus receives the cross Jesus falls the first time Jesus meets His Mother Simon of Cyrene carries the cross Veronica wipes Jesus' face with her veil Jesus falls the second time Jesus meets the daughters of Jerusalem Jesus falls the third time Jesus is stripped of His garments Crucifixion : Jesus is nailed to the cross Jesus dies on the cross Jesus' body is removed from the cross ( Pieta ) Jesus is laid in the tomb and covered in incense. Pope John Paul II created a version, for the Roman Catholic Church, in which all of the Stations were taken from Scripture known as the Scriptural Way of the Cross . It was first publicly celebrated by Pope John Paul II on Good Friday 1991 in the Coliseum in Rome . In 2007, Pope Benedict XVI approved this set of stations for meditation and public celebration: They follow this sequence: Jesus in the Garden of Olives, Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested, Jesus is condemned by the Sanhedrin, Jesus is denied by Peter, Jesus is judged by Pilate, Jesus is scourged and crowned with thorns, Jesus takes up his cross, Jesus is helped by Simon to carry his cross, Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem, Jesus is crucified, Jesus promises his kingdom to the good thief, Jesus and his mother and disciple, Jesus dies on the cross, Jesus is laid in the tomb. In the Roman Catholic Church, Pope John Paul II led an annual public prayer of the Stations of the Cross at the Roman Colosseum on Good Friday. Originally, the Pope himself carried the cross from station to station, but in his last years, he presided over the celebration from a stage on the Palatine Hill , while others carried the cross. Just days prior to his death in 2005, Pope John Paul II observed the Stations of the Cross from his private chapel in the Vatican . Each year a different person is invited to write the meditation texts for the Stations. Past composers of the Papal Stations include several non-Catholics. The Holy Father himself wrote the texts for the Jubilee year 2000 and used the traditional Stations. The celebration of the Stations of the Cross is especially common on the Fridays of Lent, especially Good Friday. Community celebrations are usually accompanied by various songs and prayers. Particularly common as musical accompaniment is the sequence Stabat Mater Dolorosa . At the end of each station, the Adoramus Te is sometimes sung. The Alleluia is also sung; however, that holy word is buried during Lent. Structurally, Mel Gibson 's 2004 film, The Passion of Christ , follows the Stations of the Cross. The fourteenth and last station, the Burial, is not prominently depicted (compared to the other thirteen) but it is implied since the last shot before credit titles is Jesus resurrected and about to leave the tomb.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Perspectives: Jedi vs. Sith (Last post by Slebo)
    • Quote: I never realized how much the Temple tends to shun the absolutism of Light and Dark distinction until I became a learner at the Church of Jediism (every couple of months they have a discussion which pretty much amounts to a massive circlejerk about how great they are for being Light and how awful other Jedi are for being some variety of gray). Absolutes have a tendency to narrow ones vision, I find. It tells me that they only want to be the teacher and never the student. As far as the circle jerk goes, to hangout and reaffirm their purpose that's fine. Everyone needs a pick-me-up. However, trash talking I truly believe should stay on the schoolyard.
    • Meditation on Death? (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: As it stands right now, two members of my family are nearing their passing. My Papa just turned 86 and he is in treatment for bone cancer. He looks sickly, thin and struggling to move as well as he used to. The second is my dog Candice who is an 8 year old Boxer. She has many lumps around her body (may or may not be cancerous), and she has recently been favouring one leg and now limps around. I know that their time here is limited, but I want to be able to accept each of their deaths as they are the first losses I have experienced in my family (actually my last dog died when I was in grade 10, so the first human loss). I know it's going to hit me hard and I want to be prepared. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this by meditating or by other means? I know that the Code says that their is no death but there is the Force (or Death, yet the Force) but I know it will still be hard to accept it. Death as energy flow in this world, part of the force. If you can not accept, you should not try to force yourself to accept it. Take the time you need, if you find yourself not able to accept it, could you accept or tolerate that part of yourself? Minding about that what is not accessible anymore can be difficult. But minding about that what can not leave our thoughts can be difficult to. :blush:
    • jedi haiku (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • Grey are all actors ; Of many hues are the Acts ... ... And what of the Stage ? ;)
    • Is avoiding certain food help you achieve better M... (Last post by Sven One)
    • Quote: Quote: Some experts believe avoiding meats, eating a vegan diet and not eating GMOs helps have a better Mediation life. Is anyone seen this to be a proven fact? I believe that eating in moderation is the key to good bodily and mental health. Eating too much sugar can kick your mind into racing mode - which isn't good for meditation. Obviously, drinking alcohol really isn't good for meditation. Those are the two I have direct experience with. I've never heard that switching to a completely vegan diet will have a beneficial effect on the mind. As far as I know, the brain needs an ample amount of animal protein to work properly. That said - I recently read in an article about Alzheimer's research that certain meats are better for the brain than others - fish and chicken are great, red meats not as much. I have two vegans in my family and both are in and out of the hospital constantly because of malnutrition issues. A lot of vegan food products contain a worrisome amount of chemicals and sugar to make up for the ingredients that were left away - so if you choose to eat vegan, you really need to dedicate yourself to this, do your research, cook food yourself (rather than buying replacement cheese, replacement meat, replacement milk, replacement this or that) and schedule regular checkups with your doctor, at least initially, to make sure your body can take it. Anything your body can't take will not be good for meditation. Generally speaking: mens sana in corpore sano. Keep your body healthy and you'll also keep your mind healthy. Thank you. I never planned to go vegan just research from so called "seers" of mediation have said. The last four five months I have been prepare all my foods raw meats, vegetables, straight water, with my cup of green tea in the morning of course but, I gave been drinking my no super, low carb energy drinks which, I am kind of ashamed to admit I broke that habit and now trying to get off them again. I feel like theyre not good for you but, I like the caffeine effect especially for thi se wonderful 4 am shifts.
    • Addiction Check-In Thread (Last post by CryojenX)
    • I did it last night. I not only closed my social media accounts (the ones I had access to at any rate), but I also deleted the passwords from lastpass and blocked out Facebook in my hosts file. I'm committed this time, I refuse to be sucked back in. Thanks everyone.
    • What the force means to me (Last post by tzb)
    • Greetings Majelann, thanks for your thoughts on this. In answer to your final question, how can light exist without dark? Many of us look at it a little like up and down - one only really makes sense in relation to the other. If there is one thing, it's neither up nor down. If there are two things, and one thing is higher, one, is "up", the other "down". But in dealing with a, as you put it, "ubiquitous" concept such as the Force, it must be both up and down, dark and light. What I'm getting at is even describing something as light (or dark) implies, necessarily, its opposite. Nothing exists in isolation, so any meaningful definition of "light" must include (or at least imply) the definition of "dark". Personally I think the role of Jedi is to avoid splitting things into light/dark, up/down, but to remember all is one. For me, no person is pure dark or pure light. I suggest reading around the Temple, you'll find your views are, in essence, widely shared. We don't talk a lot about the light and dark sides here - most leave that to the fiction. :)
    • Insomnia and Sleep Restriction Therapy (Last post by Akkarin)
    • This was interesting, if you have trouble sleeping, try actively to spend less time in bed: www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/au...on-therapy?CMP=fb_gu Spoiler:
    • Chi? (Last post by Tarran)
    • Zippy12! Pleased to meet ya! :D Yes... chi, or qi... same thing, different spelling (Japanese say 'ki' - in Japanese, "chi" means "blood"). But Qi is largely misunderstood in the west. First off, the biggest misconception is that "Qi" is the pushing force that is in effect when one sparring partner sends it out at the other, barely even touching him (if at all), and sends the opponent flying out of the ring. The truth is, that's really not quite how it works. Qi isn't quite the bio-electromotive force itself, but it does facilitate it. There are a few other factors involved, Qi being just one among them, but all of those factors taken as a single concept in speech, is also collectively referred to as "Qi" (and not incorrectly so), referring to the entirety of the bio-electromagnetic field as a whole under that one umbrella term, and therein lies the cause of the misconception. If you would, try to imagine that old, fairly well-known, school science demonstration which depicts magnetic fields. The teacher takes a piece of paper, holding it with some iron filings spread about on one side, and takes a bar magnet and holds it directly under the piece of paper, flat up against the surface underneath. I'll try to attach an image here... [attachment] Now, as you can see here, the bar magnet is beneath the piece of paper, with the iron filings scattered upon it - the magnetic field interacting with the iron particles causes them all to arrange themselves along the lei lines of the magnetic field, thus rendering the invisible, visible. This is a perfect analogy for Qi in most living beings, particularly human. Imagine that bar in the center is a human being standing upright, and you can see the "Qi" lines surrounding and penetrating him. The pole ends being at the crown of the head and at the base of his feet, we need to understand this as though like a doughnut, or a torus shape - relatively. This shape obviously isn't round like a donut, unless you could imagine an elongated one (and in truth, a bit egg-shaped) - but the point is that there is a central area of flow... if this human be male, the direction of flow is down in through the crown of the head, through and along the central core, out through the base at the feet, and spreads outward and upward along the outside of this "tubular doughnut", and all turns back in on itself at the crown and continues cycling again... for females, this direction of flow is in the opposite direction; out from the crown, down the outer edge of the shell, coming in together at the base, up through the central core, and out forth from the crown once again, and so on. Or at least, this is the flow of the bio-electromotive force, which runs along the lei lines of one's Qi. If you notice, the lei lines themselves have no motion whatsoever - and this is a key thing to understand here - the iron filings, once aligned to the lei lines of the field, do not move... there is no motive force. Therefore, the Qi is merely a template of the paths along which the force would flow. The term for the bio-electromotive force is Jing. Now, to be certain, technically, there can be motion of Qi, but only in changing the shape of the field - which is done in two major ways; rising/falling, and expanding/contracting. So it can be said that while the practitioner of, say, Yang style T'ai Qi Quan (different schools of the same art tend to have different spellings), sends that opponent flying in the previous sparring illustration mentioned above, he does so by sending a surge of Jing through his field, cycling it along the lei lines, and then expands his field forward, sort of bulging it out, protruding a bit in the opponent's direction - in effect, pushing against his opponent's own bio-electromagnetic field, with his own, and sending his opponent off, quite not unlike two like-poled magnets repelling each other. Now, Jeriko knows what he's talking about here... he says; Quote: Connection to his chi centre, (the dan tien, which is located 2 inches below the naval) was indeed strengthened through years of chi Kung, form repetition and pushing hands. In Yang style T'ai Qi Quan, *internal* form, this is a very important point of focus - the dan tien. Where he locates this is correct, topically... though in internal form, it's the same place, though deeper - imagine your pelvic bone as though a bowl - now place a candle pin bowling ball sized sphere in it, and it will settle in the middle of the base - this is where the dan tien is said to be internally, within the torso, in this context. I mention that ball image for a reason... in the cultivation of Jing, it is often concentrated in a ball of such size, resting in the dan tien... then moved up and down the central core of the field within the torso, while it spins, rolling in a forward direction, dispersing collected Jing throughout the body in a manner according to the technique. Through the use of "compression breathing", the Jing is drawn into the marrow of the bones where it accumulates and develops strength and substance. As it is cultivated, it resonates with the Qi field, and you begin to feel something akin to electricity and warmth in your bones. So far, I've skipped wildly ahead, not mentioning techniques which would bring one to this point, and there's more further on, but that is beyond the scope of this post. I will mention an excellent manual for this, near the end of this post. If I'm remembering right, someone in this thread had said that there is no positive or negative to this force (unsure of exact wording)... but there is, kind of. There is Yang and Yin - but that isn't exactly as analogous to a "positive" and "negative" per se... more like a "high hum" and a "low buzz"... one being more "hot singy", the other more "cold clicky"... well, these terms are subjective, and other persons may use different expressions - you'd have to personally experience it to be certain of what's meant here. But feeling the difference between these "poles", is something which at first may seem difficult to grasp, but once understood, is quite a substantial difference, and easily recognizable. So yes, there is a polarity. There needs to be, after all - just as a battery cell needs polarity to function. I need to point out another bit of wisdom Jeriko mentioned; Quote: I would say though that i do not believe it's utilisation can be achieved through reading. (Though the book he mentions is a good one.) Reading a book... is good for taking in data. Depending on the book, topic and author, not much else. Now, there is a difference between a book, and a manual - but even more different when it is written in Chinese for example, using idiographic text - each character can have more than one meaning/nuance to consider, and more data is then transferred and understood deeply, even, to a certain subtle degree, as though experiencing it - as reading/understanding idiographic text is a function of the right side of the brain (can be read and understood in dreams, another function of that hemisphere... while deciphering alphabetic text, a function of the left side, is nearly always gibberish in dreams). A book is for obtaining data... a manual, for acquiring/cultivating talents. Try to see this book as a manual; "T'ai Chi Classics (Shambhala Classics)" by Waysun Liao ISBN-10: 1570627495 ISBN-13: 978-1570627491 This will show how to sense and manipulate the bio-electromagnetic field, Qi, then to cultivate the bio-electromotive force, Jing, and a large number of techniques for using this force to push and to pull, even at a distance... pay special attention to the technique, "Fa Jing" - as it is the one used in the sparring example mention in the beginning of this post. I hope this helps. May The Force Be With You Always - Tarran ^_^
    • TheDude, J.K. Barger, Apprenticeship, 2015 (Last post by J. K. Barger)
    • Thank you all so much!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: The Force moves in mysterious ways; Following these ways are the Paths of the Jedi. I am most gracious for such an opportunity, And am humbled by your supporting hands. May the Force continue to guide us- however it does, As we walk together in this part of our Journey. The Force is with you all, Oommmm...

There are 570 visitors, 19 guests and 45 members online (2  in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Sarus, steamboat28, Shadouness, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, ren, Sven One, Connor L., Adhara, Proteus, V-Tog, isisinabi, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Alan, PatrickB, Metsu Desal, Khaos, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Edan, Avalonslight, tzb, Jamie Stick, Calanon, Cabur Senaar, Cristris_Jons, Aqua, Tarran, Dessel761, Slebo, Rocda, Loudzoo, Topher, Tellahane, herbalc, toft, Mikhael, DanielJ, Katash Weivorki, Aikido, Spiral, Nejaa, Kosmos, Shoda, yukalaylee.

Follow Us