Way Of Sorrows

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Way Of Sorrows 23 Mar 2008 01:32 #12777

• Yoda
  • ID: 908
The Stations of the Cross (or Way of the Cross ; in Latin , Via Crucis ; also called the Via Dolorosa or Way of Sorrows , or simply, The Way ) refers to the depiction of the final hours (or Passion ) of Jesus , and the devotion commemorating the Passion. The tradition as chapel devotion began with St. Francis of Assisi and extended throughout the Roman Catholic Church in the medieval period. It is less often observed in Anglicanism , and Lutheranism as well. It may be done at any time, but is most commonly done during the Season of Lent , especially on Good Friday and on Friday evenings during Lent . On Good Friday 1991, Pope John Paul II introduced a new form of devotion, called the Scriptural Way of the Cross which calls for more meditation. He celebrated that thereafter at the Colosseum The object of the Stations is to help the faithful to make a spiritual pilgrimage of prayer, through meditating upon the chief scenes of Christ's sufferings and death. It has become one of the most popular devotions for Roman Catholics, as well as featuring in the worship and devotion of other Christian denominations . In the Roman Catholic tradition, the meditation is often performed in a spirit of reparation for the sufferings and insults that Jesus endured during His Passion. In his encyclical Miserentissimus Redemptor on reparations, Pope Pius XI called Acts of Reparation to Jesus Christ a duty for Catholics and refered to them as \" some sort of compensation to be rendered for the injury \" with respect to the sufferings of Jesus. Pope John Paul II referred to Acts of Reparation as the \" unceasing effort to stand beside the endless crosses on which the Son of God continues to be crucified \". The Stations themselves are usually a series of 14* pictures or sculptures depicting the following scenes: Jesus is condemned to death Jesus receives the cross Jesus falls the first time Jesus meets His Mother Simon of Cyrene carries the cross Veronica wipes Jesus' face with her veil Jesus falls the second time Jesus meets the daughters of Jerusalem Jesus falls the third time Jesus is stripped of His garments Crucifixion : Jesus is nailed to the cross Jesus dies on the cross Jesus' body is removed from the cross ( Pieta ) Jesus is laid in the tomb and covered in incense. Pope John Paul II created a version, for the Roman Catholic Church, in which all of the Stations were taken from Scripture known as the Scriptural Way of the Cross . It was first publicly celebrated by Pope John Paul II on Good Friday 1991 in the Coliseum in Rome . In 2007, Pope Benedict XVI approved this set of stations for meditation and public celebration: They follow this sequence: Jesus in the Garden of Olives, Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested, Jesus is condemned by the Sanhedrin, Jesus is denied by Peter, Jesus is judged by Pilate, Jesus is scourged and crowned with thorns, Jesus takes up his cross, Jesus is helped by Simon to carry his cross, Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem, Jesus is crucified, Jesus promises his kingdom to the good thief, Jesus and his mother and disciple, Jesus dies on the cross, Jesus is laid in the tomb. In the Roman Catholic Church, Pope John Paul II led an annual public prayer of the Stations of the Cross at the Roman Colosseum on Good Friday. Originally, the Pope himself carried the cross from station to station, but in his last years, he presided over the celebration from a stage on the Palatine Hill , while others carried the cross. Just days prior to his death in 2005, Pope John Paul II observed the Stations of the Cross from his private chapel in the Vatican . Each year a different person is invited to write the meditation texts for the Stations. Past composers of the Papal Stations include several non-Catholics. The Holy Father himself wrote the texts for the Jubilee year 2000 and used the traditional Stations. The celebration of the Stations of the Cross is especially common on the Fridays of Lent, especially Good Friday. Community celebrations are usually accompanied by various songs and prayers. Particularly common as musical accompaniment is the sequence Stabat Mater Dolorosa . At the end of each station, the Adoramus Te is sometimes sung. The Alleluia is also sung; however, that holy word is buried during Lent. Structurally, Mel Gibson 's 2004 film, The Passion of Christ , follows the Stations of the Cross. The fourteenth and last station, the Burial, is not prominently depicted (compared to the other thirteen) but it is implied since the last shot before credit titles is Jesus resurrected and about to leave the tomb.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Drone Operators with PTSD (Last post by ren)
    • Quote: Obviously you did not fully read my posting. I said it was an unavoidable thing in war. It does happen, however not in the extremes you claim. What are those extremes I claimed? Please quote. (added a "thank you" for the lols as you have absolutely no idea who I am or what I have done, making your posts look absolutely hilarious)
    • Keeping Calm and Centered (Last post by Talariq)
    • Quote: (...and it's just fun burning things!! :whistle: ) Burning was definitely the last step in the plan for this list. I just have to figure out where to do it so I won't destroy a few city blocks. Colorado has been a little sensitive when it comes to fires lately. :pinch: Haha. And Wescli, I think I'm going to have to frame that post and keep it on my desk. Thank you very much for that. I think it's almost exactly what I've been looking for.
    • Discussion 1 - The Call to Adventure (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: Ignoring the definitions above for a moment, what does the word "Adventure" mean to you? How about "Hero"? Are you a hero? Adventure for me is when you step out of the comfort zone, when you push yourself to work harder, go further, in a direction you're not necessarily used to. If I spent 6 months in the dark in my house, afraid to leave, afraid to change, I wouldn't be a hero, it's when I stood up and made the choice not to be beaten, when I opened the curtains and stepped out of my door that I would become the hero. Quote: Read the definition of 'adventure' above, and your own answer to question 1. What are some of the things you consider "adventures" in your own life? Are you on one right now? What were the "calls" which began these adventures? Much of life itself in an adventure. I am on a journey to understand myself in a way I would never previously allow. I would compartmentalise feelings and emotions, split myself into parts to prevent getting hurt, and closed the door to things I didn't immediately agree with. I've thrown open the doors and now as I'm bringing my separate parts together, the adventure is learning who I am as a whole. The call for this is very personal. I guess another adventure I'm on is less exciting, but in that starting a degree when I already have a career, I am going in a direction and I have no idea the end. A few years ago I thought I would be an accountant forever, and now I have found a chance to be something completely diffeerent. The knowledge and the not knowing really where this ends is the adventure. The call was a few things coming together, but the main one was my fiance standing in front of me saying "you could just take criminology..." Quote: Joseph Campbell wrote: The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure. What do you think the relationship between being ready to answer the call to adventure is to becoming a hero? Do you feel ready to give a "hearty yes" when adventure comes calling? It's not easy to say yes sometimes, for some adventures, like the first one I put above, the call isn't something positive. Sometimes you're kind of just pushed into it and you either break into a run and go with it or you fall on your face and give up. The call and the adventure are requirements for each other, if you fall on your face the adventure won't even begin. Quote: Jedi are ordinary people, without superpowers unlike our fictional inspiration, often without the kinds of famed achievements or renowned victories usually associated with heroes. Many of us live ordinary and fairly conventional lives. Why do you think the study of heroes and adventures is relevant to our path? Is it? I'm gonna steal Jestor's line here (sorry!) and say 'we're practising Jedi, not perfect Jedi'. To improve ourselves is sometimes to step on a harder path, to take the adventure despite difficulty either literally, emotionally or mentally. Without the study of heroes, where is the inspiration to take the adventure in the first place? Every religion has its hero or heroes, we just study many, instead of few.
    • Too Much Forgiveness: Is there such a thing? (Last post by Brenna)
    • When I was little the expression "forgive but never forget" seemed rather ominous and almost like an oxymoron. But I see it differently now. To forgive someone is to let go of the resentment, prejudice and hurt that you hold. Forgiveness is not a condoning of actions, nor is it an invitation to repeat the actions. And there comes a point where repeated offenses are little more than an abuse of trust. I believe you can forgive someone for what they have done, but still not allow them the opportunity to repeat it.
    • 'Mo'vember (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Spoiler: [attachment] Darn. Disqualified already. But seriously, anything to raise awareness, support, and money for a good cause is an awesome thing. I like the idea, though I may not personally reshape my face-fur for this particular endeavor.
    • Going on a Trip (Last post by Kaverael)
    • Quote: I just spent time in Saint Helens over the summer and we visited Seaside, Oregon. It's one of my favorite places in the world. I hope you have a great time! Travel safely! :) Glad you got out because it looks like it's starting to rumble back to life!
    • Discussion 2 - Refusal of the Call (Last post by AlexanderJ.W)
    • 1. Have you ever refused the call? Do you regret it? Can you think of a time where you refused the call and it turned out to be the right decision? Yes I have refused a call, and I still regret it every day. When I was sixteen me and my current girlfriend had been dating for just a bit over a year when we got pregnant. After much discussion and tears we made a decision to do an abortion. We based the decision on that we weren’t old enough and that we couldn’t take care and give the child a god and fair life. And I think that it fits to say that we felt incapable to be parents. Me and my girlfriend got engaged and where together for eight more years after that, and we are still very god friends and talk about it sometimes, and we both regret the decision. Hopefully this will make me a better parent when I do have kids. How could I know if a refusal is the right thing, when I don’t know where the adventure would take me or what I would learn? I think that every adventure is an opportunity to learn something, and that it is the force that sets us on the path of the adventure, so how could it really be the right decision to not undertake the adventure? I can only think of one thing that would make the refusal to be the right decision, and that is if I refuse this adventure another will be laid before me and I get the opportunity to undertake that adventure instead. 2. What are the most common reasons people "refuse" adventure in their lives, and why? I believe that the most common reason for people to refuse the call is fear of the unknown. Overall I feel that people in general is afraid of things that they don’t know enough about. And I think the reason for that is the loss of control, you can’t control what you don’t know about. 3. Try and think of two reasons in addition to the ones listed above that someone might refuse the call, ideally one negative reason, and one positive reason. Do you think they are good reasons? The refusal could be that the adventure is better suited for someone else, and that the hero as unconsciously stepped on an adventure which was meant for someone else. And that could be both good and bad because the adventure could be even better for the “new” hero and lead to an even better result than expected. On the other hand the hero who was supposed to go on the adventure maybe “needed” the adventure more than the “new” one. And the result could be disastrous regarding the purpose. The adventure could be too much for the “new” hero and fails and even becomes a villain. To be content with the life the hero already has, not to leave because the life he has now is simply to god and comfortable. The hero don’t want to change the view of home to go on an adventure that doesn’t concern him. This is rather selfish and I would say that it is a bad reason to refuse the call. 4. Think of our doctrine. Are there any reasons one might refuse the call based on something listed there? If so what, and why? This was a tough question and I look forward to read the other answers from other members. But I think that the belief in the force can cause to refuse a call, if the Jedi is uncertain if to intervene or not. If I do intervene maybe I cause myself to start an adventure and if I don’t intervene I might miss that same adventure and there for miss the lesson I was supposed to learn by it. So it is really about balance and as it says in the twentieth Maxim: “A Jedi intervenes only when a Jedi's intervention is required.”
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Day 17 checking in. Today was yoga, 40 minutes. My muscles are in that kind of achy state at the moment from the work I've been doing ( :) ) so it was hard, but actually it was the best one I've done so far. I attempted, and (bar a few failed attempts in which I fell on my face and laughed at myself), I managed to do Bakasana / Crow pose. For anyone that is interested, crow pose is where you lean forwards on your hands looking forward, and balance your knees on the back of your arms. It is not easy and I've failed previously, but the fact I managed it today means that I am definitely stronger than when I started, which is good.
    • Open Sermon Slots (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • Twice now I've sent my sermon to someone on the day it's supposed to be published and I noticed that it's pretty much not enough turn around time so I'm wondering if anyone has a recommended amount of time prior to the day it's supposed to be published that open sermons should be submitted?
    • MJ Hannigan (Last post by tzb)
    • To knowingly allow the other gods to trick Fenrir, no less.
    • Course Comms (Last post by tzb)
    • Discussion 2 - Refusal of the Call now available: www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/the-h...-refusal-of-the-call PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE COURSE COMMS THREAD
    • Zen Pencils (Last post by Invictus)
    • I love Zen-Pencils! Especially the drawing with Allan Watts. It's deep...and so true! :)
    • On Self Knowledge (and The Jedi Path) (Last post by Br. John)
    • On Self-Knowledge - Kahlil Gibran Your hearts know in silence the secrets of the days and the nights. But your ears thirst for the sound of your heart's knowledge. You would know in words that which you have always known in thought. You would touch with your fingers the naked body of your dreams. And it is well you should. The hidden well-spring of your soul must needs rise and run murmuring to the sea; And the treasure of your infinite depths would be revealed to your eyes. But let there be no scales to weigh your unknown treasure; And seek not the depths of your knowledge with staff or sounding line. For self is a sea boundless and measureless. Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, "I have found a truth." Say not, "I have found the path of the soul." Say rather, "I have met the soul walking upon my path." For the soul walks upon all paths. The soul walks not upon a line, neither does it grow like a reed. The soul unfolds itself like a lotus of countless petals.

There are 119 visitors, 4 guests and 42 members online (6  are in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, steamboat28, Jon, Shadouness, Firewolf, Jestor, Karn, ren, Darren, Reliah, discordor, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Tripp Borz, Alan, Williamkaede, E-3_4L_Teeter, Talariq, Brenna, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, elizabeth, Edan, Silvermane, tzb, Senan, Kaverael, babyblueyes247, Frost, Jamie Stick, carlos.martinez3, redlearder97, Cabur Senaar, Targeran Arynal, Jeffery Williams, Oneiros, Christiandorian, dkiefersu, Invictus, Mos-An Hobel.

Follow Us