Way Of Sorrows

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Way Of Sorrows 23 Mar 2008 01:32 #12777

• Yoda
  • ID: 908
The Stations of the Cross (or Way of the Cross ; in Latin , Via Crucis ; also called the Via Dolorosa or Way of Sorrows , or simply, The Way ) refers to the depiction of the final hours (or Passion ) of Jesus , and the devotion commemorating the Passion. The tradition as chapel devotion began with St. Francis of Assisi and extended throughout the Roman Catholic Church in the medieval period. It is less often observed in Anglicanism , and Lutheranism as well. It may be done at any time, but is most commonly done during the Season of Lent , especially on Good Friday and on Friday evenings during Lent . On Good Friday 1991, Pope John Paul II introduced a new form of devotion, called the Scriptural Way of the Cross which calls for more meditation. He celebrated that thereafter at the Colosseum The object of the Stations is to help the faithful to make a spiritual pilgrimage of prayer, through meditating upon the chief scenes of Christ's sufferings and death. It has become one of the most popular devotions for Roman Catholics, as well as featuring in the worship and devotion of other Christian denominations . In the Roman Catholic tradition, the meditation is often performed in a spirit of reparation for the sufferings and insults that Jesus endured during His Passion. In his encyclical Miserentissimus Redemptor on reparations, Pope Pius XI called Acts of Reparation to Jesus Christ a duty for Catholics and refered to them as \" some sort of compensation to be rendered for the injury \" with respect to the sufferings of Jesus. Pope John Paul II referred to Acts of Reparation as the \" unceasing effort to stand beside the endless crosses on which the Son of God continues to be crucified \". The Stations themselves are usually a series of 14* pictures or sculptures depicting the following scenes: Jesus is condemned to death Jesus receives the cross Jesus falls the first time Jesus meets His Mother Simon of Cyrene carries the cross Veronica wipes Jesus' face with her veil Jesus falls the second time Jesus meets the daughters of Jerusalem Jesus falls the third time Jesus is stripped of His garments Crucifixion : Jesus is nailed to the cross Jesus dies on the cross Jesus' body is removed from the cross ( Pieta ) Jesus is laid in the tomb and covered in incense. Pope John Paul II created a version, for the Roman Catholic Church, in which all of the Stations were taken from Scripture known as the Scriptural Way of the Cross . It was first publicly celebrated by Pope John Paul II on Good Friday 1991 in the Coliseum in Rome . In 2007, Pope Benedict XVI approved this set of stations for meditation and public celebration: They follow this sequence: Jesus in the Garden of Olives, Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested, Jesus is condemned by the Sanhedrin, Jesus is denied by Peter, Jesus is judged by Pilate, Jesus is scourged and crowned with thorns, Jesus takes up his cross, Jesus is helped by Simon to carry his cross, Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem, Jesus is crucified, Jesus promises his kingdom to the good thief, Jesus and his mother and disciple, Jesus dies on the cross, Jesus is laid in the tomb. In the Roman Catholic Church, Pope John Paul II led an annual public prayer of the Stations of the Cross at the Roman Colosseum on Good Friday. Originally, the Pope himself carried the cross from station to station, but in his last years, he presided over the celebration from a stage on the Palatine Hill , while others carried the cross. Just days prior to his death in 2005, Pope John Paul II observed the Stations of the Cross from his private chapel in the Vatican . Each year a different person is invited to write the meditation texts for the Stations. Past composers of the Papal Stations include several non-Catholics. The Holy Father himself wrote the texts for the Jubilee year 2000 and used the traditional Stations. The celebration of the Stations of the Cross is especially common on the Fridays of Lent, especially Good Friday. Community celebrations are usually accompanied by various songs and prayers. Particularly common as musical accompaniment is the sequence Stabat Mater Dolorosa . At the end of each station, the Adoramus Te is sometimes sung. The Alleluia is also sung; however, that holy word is buried during Lent. Structurally, Mel Gibson 's 2004 film, The Passion of Christ , follows the Stations of the Cross. The fourteenth and last station, the Burial, is not prominently depicted (compared to the other thirteen) but it is implied since the last shot before credit titles is Jesus resurrected and about to leave the tomb.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • The Lessons of Jedi Manners & Etiquette (Last post by Brenna)
    • Kitsu, I apologize for any offense caused. Derails happen. I try to avoid them by starting new topics, as happened yesterday. I have no complaints about anything that you have posted, only questions and now some confusion. I will of course respect your request. However. Your response I feel is unnecessary, especially as I have taken deliberate care with my language so as to avoid offense. And I feel unfairly accused.
    • Hugs (Last post by Puerh)
    • If I need 4 hugs a day to be alive I must be some kind of zombie u.u :laugh:
    • American men, American media, and the villificatio... (Last post by Oneiros)
    • Quote: I hear people don't agree with the article, but don't explain why... The article is someone's opinion about a book (which retails at USD150) and concludes with "This book will help many of us in our struggles to create a better society – one which values and encourages men and women, boys and girls. We are all in this life together : we need to think positively of others who are different from ourselves. Finally, all of us need to work much harder to make the media account for the way they portray men. " I think my specific example would be from the above comment which states that the media has some sort of bias against men. I don't believe it does. I haven't read the book and I don't feel that the price is relevant to the conversation. The book can end with whatever nice words about working together and positive thinking it wants, but if that is preceded by bias and false information, the nice ending loses any credibility. If you would like me to find specific examples from the book itself I will absolutely do that because I feel this is important. I don't mean to be argumentative and I will genuinely have this conversation.
    • Meditation and Dissociation (Last post by Proteus)
    • Quote: One major lesson I learned from Taoism is the idea of the "middle path". Basically, when you're faced with a choice, you stick with the option that doesn't lean too far one way or the other. It's worked wonders in my life. You must mean Buddhism, from which the Middle Path comes from. :)
    • Personal 'Codes' (Last post by SeventhSL)
    • Mine would be "Seek the truth, Speek the truth". It sounds oh so simple but I can't speek the truth unless I seek it first. That means I have to concur my fears and emotions for things i dont want to hear and look at everything from many different perspectives. That means listening to and caring for the thoughts of everyone. It means drawing positive lessons even from life's most challenging people. If I am judgmental, contentious, easily bruised or lazy I fail my own code as I fail to listen and so can not seek. The opposite of my code would be "Seek the lie, Seak the lie". I don't see anything positive there unless you want to live life in denial or rule the world like a Star Wars movie Sith. So some will find that a better code.
    • Let's Negotiate the Jedi Code! (Last post by Adder)
    • I think perception itself is a process of negotiating internal and external signals.... which could be supported by some research around saying curiosity is the key to learning - with curiosity being the drive to complete the process with energy and focus. So to the Code, yea I guess that too is a good example to use!! To use a war metaphor, how about a fire control system as something which negotiates a change in a situation; Emotion, yet peace - Detection; normal mode of maximum connection to ones environment. Ignorance, yet knowledge - Acquisition; contextualization of some point/entity in the environment. Passion, yet serenity - Identification; understanding the point/entity. Chaos, yet harmony - Tracking; understanding its previous, actual and probable transformations in relation to your own state. Death, yet the Force - Engagement/Solution; any adjustment to your own state and its impact on the that external point/entity. Sorry for the war-ryness of the post :blink:
    • Philosophy and the Sciences class (Last post by Desolous)
    • Most definitely the cognitive science route, as that is more in line with my mental health bafkground. It will be a challenge to knock this out, but I'm sure you're up to it.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Day 38 checking 45 minute run today (40 run + 5 cooldown).. was a good run today, didn't feel tired really at all until the very end. Best track of the run was 'Playing with Fire' by Plan B. The whole album was pretty intense to be honest and I probably looked unduly serious while I was running but it helped with the focus. Definitely getting fitter.
    • Taoism (Last post by taidavrikaurvan)
    • Me and Streen have had many discussions on quotes as such, "The teacher does not give the answer but asks the question." A quote that has a deep value to myself.
    • No offense, but... (Last post by Red Lila)
    • Through all of this there are some practicalities that haven't been discussed. While, certainly, the notion that intending to be offended and intending offence are personal reactions, which should both be avoided; there are basic communication techniques that can reduce unintended offence. The most basic of these is recognizing the "tone neutral" environment of written communication. Due to the absence of body language and inflection we can only establish tone through our word choice and only after a sufficiently expansive block of text do those word choices establish a "voice" and the amount of text necessary to establish that voice is variable from individual to individual. Therefore its best to assume that your "voice" comes off dry and monotone. Even emoji aren't sufficient to overcome this as a smile can be sarcastic or sinister just as easily as joyful or amused. From a communication perspective, monotone voices are ascribed a serious, sincere disposition by the majority of listeners and readers unless they have specific reason to feel otherwise. Aim your dialogue on this assumption and you'll find offence taken far less often.
    • How people can drink 4L of coke a day (Last post by Json)
    • I gave up sodas 12 years ago when I quit smoking. I would say it is one of the best things I did. I decided to get into shape a year ago and finally gave up sweet tea so I drink water.... a lot of water. I do enjoy a couple of cups of green tea during the day but I do not add sugar or anything to them. Changing to eating healthy can be tough and should be treated and a long term goal. But the benefits are amazing. Food tastes better and I have a control over my hunger cravings. :) I cannot stand fast food anymore. It actually makes me sick as I am sure drinking a coke would especially 4 liters. Whew.
    • Is questioning one's faith inevitable? (Last post by Kamizu)
    • Quote: Quote: As the title says, is it inevitable that one will eventually come to question their faith? I wouldn't call it "inevitable", but rather "common". I donno, after living in the Bible Belt for so long I'm not too sure it's common either hahaha. I don't think questioning your faith is inevitable but I do think it is very good practice. And one I try to follow quite often. I remember as a young kid, I was sitting in Sunday School and being taught the 10 Commandments. I was told "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." meant "[Our Christian] God is the only one, true, God. All others are fake." I had already fallen in love with the mythology of the ages and I sat there thinking But...how could the Egyptians and the Romans and the Greeks have been so wrong? How can you go through life worshiping something that's fake? What makes us so much more right? Unfortunately, I didn't have open-thinking role-models at the time and just accepted what I was fed for 20 years. I do appreciate the church I grew up in and the love of the congregation, and I do slightly envy those who don't seem to go through the angst of getting 'lost' while looking for answers to questions, but I feel like I'm a much better and stronger person for getting lost and poking around at what I believe in.
    • Honor... (Last post by ren)
    • Quote: It all seems philosophically sound. But honor is one of those things that I feel is an invention of the human ego. How is it even real? What is the benefit of acting "honorably"? And how is one dishonored, except by only saying that one is? Agreed. To some people it's apparently a great honor to commit suicide bombings sacrifice for a greater cause all sorts of stuff.
    • What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Last post by Proteus)
    • Megadeth - I Thought I Knew It All Lyrics: Somewhere there's a reason Why things go like they do Somewhere there's a reason Why somethings just fall through We don't always see them For what they really are But I know there's a reason, Just can't see it from this far Maybe I don't like it, but I have no choice I know that somewhere, someone hears my voice I thought I knew it all I thought I had it made How could it end this way? I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason Why things don't go my way Somewhere there's a reason That I cannot explain Just like the change of season, Just may not be my turn But I know there's a reason, The lesson's mine to learn

There are 136 visitors, 6 guests and 27 members online (5  are in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, steamboat28, Jon, Jestor, Karn, ren, Kitsu Tails, Adder, Wescli Wardest, Learn_To_Know, Red Lila, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Alan, Brenna, Kamizu, Kohadre, Silvermane, Zenchi, Mathew Erickson, carlos.martinez3, taidavrikaurvan, SeventhSL, Acheron, Oneiros, Exarchias, j.ezra, danielhwhite, Damianmarcos.

Follow Us