Way Of Sorrows

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Way Of Sorrows 23 Mar 2008 01:32 #12777

• Yoda
  • ID: 908
The Stations of the Cross (or Way of the Cross ; in Latin , Via Crucis ; also called the Via Dolorosa or Way of Sorrows , or simply, The Way ) refers to the depiction of the final hours (or Passion ) of Jesus , and the devotion commemorating the Passion. The tradition as chapel devotion began with St. Francis of Assisi and extended throughout the Roman Catholic Church in the medieval period. It is less often observed in Anglicanism , and Lutheranism as well. It may be done at any time, but is most commonly done during the Season of Lent , especially on Good Friday and on Friday evenings during Lent . On Good Friday 1991, Pope John Paul II introduced a new form of devotion, called the Scriptural Way of the Cross which calls for more meditation. He celebrated that thereafter at the Colosseum The object of the Stations is to help the faithful to make a spiritual pilgrimage of prayer, through meditating upon the chief scenes of Christ's sufferings and death. It has become one of the most popular devotions for Roman Catholics, as well as featuring in the worship and devotion of other Christian denominations . In the Roman Catholic tradition, the meditation is often performed in a spirit of reparation for the sufferings and insults that Jesus endured during His Passion. In his encyclical Miserentissimus Redemptor on reparations, Pope Pius XI called Acts of Reparation to Jesus Christ a duty for Catholics and refered to them as \" some sort of compensation to be rendered for the injury \" with respect to the sufferings of Jesus. Pope John Paul II referred to Acts of Reparation as the \" unceasing effort to stand beside the endless crosses on which the Son of God continues to be crucified \". The Stations themselves are usually a series of 14* pictures or sculptures depicting the following scenes: Jesus is condemned to death Jesus receives the cross Jesus falls the first time Jesus meets His Mother Simon of Cyrene carries the cross Veronica wipes Jesus' face with her veil Jesus falls the second time Jesus meets the daughters of Jerusalem Jesus falls the third time Jesus is stripped of His garments Crucifixion : Jesus is nailed to the cross Jesus dies on the cross Jesus' body is removed from the cross ( Pieta ) Jesus is laid in the tomb and covered in incense. Pope John Paul II created a version, for the Roman Catholic Church, in which all of the Stations were taken from Scripture known as the Scriptural Way of the Cross . It was first publicly celebrated by Pope John Paul II on Good Friday 1991 in the Coliseum in Rome . In 2007, Pope Benedict XVI approved this set of stations for meditation and public celebration: They follow this sequence: Jesus in the Garden of Olives, Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested, Jesus is condemned by the Sanhedrin, Jesus is denied by Peter, Jesus is judged by Pilate, Jesus is scourged and crowned with thorns, Jesus takes up his cross, Jesus is helped by Simon to carry his cross, Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem, Jesus is crucified, Jesus promises his kingdom to the good thief, Jesus and his mother and disciple, Jesus dies on the cross, Jesus is laid in the tomb. In the Roman Catholic Church, Pope John Paul II led an annual public prayer of the Stations of the Cross at the Roman Colosseum on Good Friday. Originally, the Pope himself carried the cross from station to station, but in his last years, he presided over the celebration from a stage on the Palatine Hill , while others carried the cross. Just days prior to his death in 2005, Pope John Paul II observed the Stations of the Cross from his private chapel in the Vatican . Each year a different person is invited to write the meditation texts for the Stations. Past composers of the Papal Stations include several non-Catholics. The Holy Father himself wrote the texts for the Jubilee year 2000 and used the traditional Stations. The celebration of the Stations of the Cross is especially common on the Fridays of Lent, especially Good Friday. Community celebrations are usually accompanied by various songs and prayers. Particularly common as musical accompaniment is the sequence Stabat Mater Dolorosa . At the end of each station, the Adoramus Te is sometimes sung. The Alleluia is also sung; however, that holy word is buried during Lent. Structurally, Mel Gibson 's 2004 film, The Passion of Christ , follows the Stations of the Cross. The fourteenth and last station, the Burial, is not prominently depicted (compared to the other thirteen) but it is implied since the last shot before credit titles is Jesus resurrected and about to leave the tomb.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Non-Conformity... (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: That's the trouble with hollywood...if the non-traditional(non-conformist) film maker takes the risk and is successful everyone copies the original idea until it becomes the new norm...making non conformity into conformity.... Look at the "found footage" method of filming...14 years ago it was innovative(for a hollywood movie), now it's typical... If it ain't broke.... ?
    • Arcade, Knight, Ceremony, 2014 (Last post by peace)
    • Congratulations Arcade! You deserve it. May the force be with you on your next adventure as a knight and I hope it will be the best. peace
    • Down's Syndrome... (Last post by ren)
    • Quote: Quote: Yes, people do indeed seem not to find the banning interesting or relevant, hence the "ever lower depths". Lol, here I go derailing, lol.... It is not interesting, because people understand... People read the boards, see public issues... If it were possible to ban you, it probably would have happened too... And few would have complained about that.... Or bitches for your reinstatement.... Quit trying to stir up a bunch of crap.... I'm not asking for anything or trying to stir up a bunch of "crap". As you aptly pointed out he and I are not friends. More alike than he realizes, and probably just as obsessed in doing what we believe to be right, but, not friends. I am however wondering what he did that's so bad. I mentioned him in this very thread before (I think) he was banned, I come back and he's nowhere to be found. His character traits definitely are those of someone who has ASD, so I am wondering, and this is a genuine question, excuse me for being logical about all this: If it is "more wrong" to abort babies for being the way they are (Dawn's, ASD, etc), does that not make it "more wrong" to ban someone because of the way their mental condition makes them behave?
    • Thoughts of a simple man (Last post by crystale)
    • Many times ,I like stop the fast run... Move in slow... to check signals what in fast way, maybe are lost... Adjust to nature, biologically. Contemplate what is our place ,or where we are. (our ocupation in the universe and in the plan, in our personal cosmic point of focus) stop and put attention to who or what is arrive to us. Sometimes, some aparently imperceptible things, have a message for us in relationship with our preocupation... they are so close that we can't see ! and maybe we are in a search so far away Many times our mind need to rest as process of rebuild (sleep) Many times meditation - Many times (nothing),because wrong things can produce more wrong, as domino effect. Wait for "clouds" are go.
    • What do you get out of magic/k? (Last post by Zenchi)
    • First of all, how do you define magic/k? That question will largely influence as well as determine what an practitioner gets out of it. For me, it has become intrinsic to being alive. I have found after nearly thirty years of study, practice and exploration that the most powerful magic is rooted in self transformation, and should be associated with psychology...
    • Jedi creed (doubt and faith) (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • doubt~faith : coincidentia oppositorum : faith~doubt This is another of those instances where one implies the other ; if you have one, you have both. The question is how much balance we can bring to them ... We get pretty wrapped up in to dichotomous thinking which leads to a sort of rational manicheism whereby one is lead to believe that herein is a conflict in which one is good, the other bad and one (preferably the good) must defeat the other. This is not really the case : we need both doubt and faith in appropriate measure (but let's not try to actually measure them). Alan generously points out that there are variant kinds of doubt. This is true. Whereas methodical doubt is very practical and useful, the scientific method relies upon it and one would not be able to use discernment or discrimination without it, there is also the doubt that arises where there has been no - or very badly done - discernment nor discrimination (irrational fear). Doubt is the receptacle into which faith can be poured, yet as with pouring a cup of tea where there is no cup, free flowing faith without a degree of doubt to receive it makes a mess. Whereby irrational doubts are easily recognisable as nearly paralysing handicap, so is irrational faith. Nevertheless, they must go together as a relationship of coincidentia oppositorum. Reason cannot reason its own reasonableness ; we cannot through logic itself arrive at the conclusion that logic is sufficient. We intuit that. Since we must doubt our certainties and yet at the same time have faith in our capacity to explore and manipulate (manipulate in its positive sense : to be able to use) our environment, then re-doubt how we decide to use it, to what ends and so forth, we see that we need both ... Ergo, 'Where there is doubt, (I shall bring) faith ;' then, suggests that I, as an instrument of peace, come to bring these into balance -- the balance in situational appropriateness. An example : my friends have enjoyed two or three lovely bottles of wine and in the resulting gaiety, decide what a fine thing it would be to go down to the river and have a swim. I must dissuade them from doing something quite dangerous by bringing enough doubt where there is too much faith ... Yet, I do this from faith.
    • The Code(s) (Last post by Reacher)
    • I don't worry too much over either. I try not to focus on the grammar and literal implications of each, but what they point us toward. That said, whichever is the clearer guidepost - follow. Just remember to attend the path, not the post.
    • FAQ Update (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Apprenticeship: Quote: 9. What does apprenticeship involve? An Apprentice is an Initiate who has been taken on by a current Teaching Master and is receiving personal teaching and guidance. The Teaching Master will teach that person until Knighthood. The minimum time for training is 6 months. The Council will organize a knighting ceremony Once the apprentice has completed the A.Div a and is considered ready by their teaching master. An initiate must be at least 16 years old before being considered for apprenticeship. Quote: 9. What does apprenticeship involve? An Apprentice is an Initiate who has been taken on by a current Teaching Master and is receiving personal teaching and guidance. The Teaching Master will teach that person until Knighthood. The minimum time for training is 6 months. Once the apprentice has completed the A.Div a and is considered ready by their teaching master they will be interviewed by a member of the Council and if the interview is successful a ceremony will be organised to officially promote them to the rank of Knight. An initiate must be at least 16 years old before being considered for apprenticeship. Read more Instances of FaQ were changed to FAQ (correct abbreviation) Multiple minor stylistic changes at the beginning of the document.
    • Recurring Dreams (Last post by Streen)
    • I'm not sure I have recurring dreams, but I do have recurring themes. Like not being able to find a bathroom, missing my bus, being late for a class, can't remember my locker combination... I'm not a high school student, but the impression of it has dug deep into my subconscious.
    • Pathfinder (D&D) Tabletop Campaign (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: As these type games are very "hero adventure-esqe", I hope that the quandaries and difficult decisions are discussed sidebar (think, what would a Jedi do? what would a Dark Jedi do, what would a [fictional] Sith do)... Jestor you should play role-playing games...
    • Yoga (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: Quote: Contemporary Yoga might have taken a lot of the poses and used them for flexibility and exercise uses, where a hold might relieve the tension more effectively then a moment in movement into and out of a stretched position. That's my thoughts on it. Some positions I see in videos etc are held, but in classes they are all held. I wonder if perhaps it is a country thing, I am in the UK for classes but all videos I see are American. Cultural difference in interpretation maybe? Probably everyone is a bit different. Video's might be instructional and therefore hold positions a bit longer to demonstrate better for the audience. Also some people do Yoga as a calisthenics type of exercise which seem not to hold at all, almost like a cardio exercise banging out reps of full range motion!! For introductory Yoga it seems usual to approach a position and not reach it due to inflexibility, and then hold it a bit to help stretch out the muscles, fascias, ligaments etc as a way to get better at Yoga and improve flexibility more generally. I think there are benefits to that, as sometimes pain can be associated to imbalances in different muscles groups or stress etc. It is not my area though, its just a hobby my partner 'puts me through' occasionally. :S :)

There are 112 visitors, 7 guests and 31 members online (one is in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Shadouness, RyuJin, Jestor, jedi_roz, ren, Lightstrider, Phortis Nespin, Adhara, Darren, Reliah, Psyddhattha, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, MCSH, Vusuki, Buvan, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Obi-Wan Lightheart, Edan, Zenchi, jamesjohnston1741, jasonwilkins, jadedbehan, Trice Corbel, Mathew Erickson, Mad1996, Targeran Arynal, Tmabbc, Acheron, Alex Villa.

Follow Us