Way Of Sorrows

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Way Of Sorrows 23 Mar 2008 01:32 #12777

• Yoda
  • ID: 908
The Stations of the Cross (or Way of the Cross ; in Latin , Via Crucis ; also called the Via Dolorosa or Way of Sorrows , or simply, The Way ) refers to the depiction of the final hours (or Passion ) of Jesus , and the devotion commemorating the Passion. The tradition as chapel devotion began with St. Francis of Assisi and extended throughout the Roman Catholic Church in the medieval period. It is less often observed in Anglicanism , and Lutheranism as well. It may be done at any time, but is most commonly done during the Season of Lent , especially on Good Friday and on Friday evenings during Lent . On Good Friday 1991, Pope John Paul II introduced a new form of devotion, called the Scriptural Way of the Cross which calls for more meditation. He celebrated that thereafter at the Colosseum The object of the Stations is to help the faithful to make a spiritual pilgrimage of prayer, through meditating upon the chief scenes of Christ's sufferings and death. It has become one of the most popular devotions for Roman Catholics, as well as featuring in the worship and devotion of other Christian denominations . In the Roman Catholic tradition, the meditation is often performed in a spirit of reparation for the sufferings and insults that Jesus endured during His Passion. In his encyclical Miserentissimus Redemptor on reparations, Pope Pius XI called Acts of Reparation to Jesus Christ a duty for Catholics and refered to them as \" some sort of compensation to be rendered for the injury \" with respect to the sufferings of Jesus. Pope John Paul II referred to Acts of Reparation as the \" unceasing effort to stand beside the endless crosses on which the Son of God continues to be crucified \". The Stations themselves are usually a series of 14* pictures or sculptures depicting the following scenes: Jesus is condemned to death Jesus receives the cross Jesus falls the first time Jesus meets His Mother Simon of Cyrene carries the cross Veronica wipes Jesus' face with her veil Jesus falls the second time Jesus meets the daughters of Jerusalem Jesus falls the third time Jesus is stripped of His garments Crucifixion : Jesus is nailed to the cross Jesus dies on the cross Jesus' body is removed from the cross ( Pieta ) Jesus is laid in the tomb and covered in incense. Pope John Paul II created a version, for the Roman Catholic Church, in which all of the Stations were taken from Scripture known as the Scriptural Way of the Cross . It was first publicly celebrated by Pope John Paul II on Good Friday 1991 in the Coliseum in Rome . In 2007, Pope Benedict XVI approved this set of stations for meditation and public celebration: They follow this sequence: Jesus in the Garden of Olives, Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested, Jesus is condemned by the Sanhedrin, Jesus is denied by Peter, Jesus is judged by Pilate, Jesus is scourged and crowned with thorns, Jesus takes up his cross, Jesus is helped by Simon to carry his cross, Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem, Jesus is crucified, Jesus promises his kingdom to the good thief, Jesus and his mother and disciple, Jesus dies on the cross, Jesus is laid in the tomb. In the Roman Catholic Church, Pope John Paul II led an annual public prayer of the Stations of the Cross at the Roman Colosseum on Good Friday. Originally, the Pope himself carried the cross from station to station, but in his last years, he presided over the celebration from a stage on the Palatine Hill , while others carried the cross. Just days prior to his death in 2005, Pope John Paul II observed the Stations of the Cross from his private chapel in the Vatican . Each year a different person is invited to write the meditation texts for the Stations. Past composers of the Papal Stations include several non-Catholics. The Holy Father himself wrote the texts for the Jubilee year 2000 and used the traditional Stations. The celebration of the Stations of the Cross is especially common on the Fridays of Lent, especially Good Friday. Community celebrations are usually accompanied by various songs and prayers. Particularly common as musical accompaniment is the sequence Stabat Mater Dolorosa . At the end of each station, the Adoramus Te is sometimes sung. The Alleluia is also sung; however, that holy word is buried during Lent. Structurally, Mel Gibson 's 2004 film, The Passion of Christ , follows the Stations of the Cross. The fourteenth and last station, the Burial, is not prominently depicted (compared to the other thirteen) but it is implied since the last shot before credit titles is Jesus resurrected and about to leave the tomb.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • About that Cool Bowman the Internet has Fallen For... (Last post by steamboat28)
    • This time I don't mean Legolas. It's been nearly a week since this video of Lars Andersen started blowing up my social media feeds: [video] And I tried really, really hard to bite my tongue about it. I did. But then I ranted on reddit, because someone pressed a button. And then I ranted on Facebook, because my friends believed it, too. So now, here is my complete, profanity-laden rant about the whole ordeal in its full glory. I curse a lot in it, but I think I bring up some good points, so the clicking is optional. But, for this thread, I want to know if you've seen this and what you think about it? I mean, it's obviously cool, but other than that.
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • crystal light shadows dance in subtle conformity sweet lies sweetly spoken rolling smoothly from her lips falling shattering the cacophony of illusion revealed pierces the essence a soul can die in that sound
    • Songs that have Jedi Teachings, etc... (Last post by Gen Lu Pa)
    • Just one more song from Rush, with beautiful lyrics on the Free Will There are those who think that life Has nothing left to chance? A host of holy horrors To direct our aimless dance A planet of playthings We dance on the strings Of powers we cannot perceive The stars aren't aligned Or the gods are malign Blame is better to give than receive You can choose a ready guide In some celestial voice If you choose not to decide You still have made a choice You can choose from phantom fears And kindness that can kill I will choose a path that's clear I will choose free will There are those who think that They've been dealt a losing hand The cards were stacked against them They weren't born in Lotus-land All pre-ordained A prisoner in chains A victim of venomous fate Kicked in the face You can pray for a place In heaven's unearthly estate You can choose a ready guide In some celestial voice If you choose not to decide You still have made a choice You can choose from phantom fears And kindness that can kill I will choose a path that's clear I will choose free will Each of us A cell of awareness Imperfect and incomplete Genetic blends With uncertain ends On a fortune hunt That's far too fleet You can choose a ready guide In some celestial voice If you choose not to decide You still have made a choice You can choose from phantom fears And kindness that can kill I will choose a path that's clear I will choose free will [video]
    • The Forgiveness Boost (Last post by Vesha)
    • Quote: I never knew until somewhat recently that emotional 'arousal' in psychology does not mean sexual arousal. These days the term aroused often is taken to mean sexual but I don't think it would be accurate in that case. I think the term means more literally to wake up and increase something, in this case emotion's generally, or as Wikipedia says; Arousal is a physiological and psychological state of being awake or reactive to stimuli. It involves the activation of the reticular activating system in the brain stem, the autonomic nervous system and the endocrine system, leading to increased heart rate and blood pressure and a condition of sensory alertness, mobility and readiness to respond. I guess it depends on where you from, arousal always usually meant alertness to me. Like "I aroused suspicion by putting my hand quickly into my pocket."
    • 10 Tips for Dealing with Introverts (Last post by V-Tog)
    • Quote: Currently this is one I feel the most! Quote: 8. Many introverts, though not all, find it difficult to express themselves through spoken conversation. It’s much easier and more comfortable for them to get their point across through ancient runes that appear in the middle of the night carved into your forearm, pelvis, and back. I know the feeling. [attachment] [attachment] [attachment]
    • Should Jedi carry weapons? (Last post by rugadd)
    • I guess I didn't really answer the question: "Should Jedi carry weopens?" We are a weapon(effective or not), so, moot question. If this references a pistol, or sword, or some other device specifically made to harm another person, I would say it is circumstantial to were and when you are. Put some thought into it and decide for yourself. If this is addressing the issue of someone suggesting Jedi should never, never carry weopens I would call that a close-minded extreme that ignores the practicality of many people's personal circumstances. If it is a general guideline for Jedi not to do this, I could agree to that as long as any individual Jedi was respected enough to make their own decision as far as what they should/need to do themselves.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Checking in 20 minutes of yoga, then another 10 minutes of sun salutations just because I felt like it.
    • How many do you have? (Last post by Alan)
    • In Hero with a Thousand Faces, Campbell discusses the mythic symbolism of the ‘spiritual double’ within the context of The Ultimate Boon. The hero journeys to that special place where she might obtain power. Sometimes the boon is stolen, for example, Prometheus and fire, sometimes earned or procured through trickery. One of the many symbols of the boon is, “the inexhaustible dish, symbolizing the perpetual life-giving, form-building powers of the universal source, is a fairy-tale counter-part of the mythological image of the cornucopian banquet of the gods” (Campbell 173). The boon is sometimes a kind of “indestructibility represented in the folk idea of the spiritual double – an external soul not afflicted by the losses and injuries of the present body, but existing safely in some place removed” (Campbell 174ff). The symbols of doppelgangers or clones are a kind of boon of immortality where the hero is more than one person. They possess a kind of immortality because of the difficulty of destroying both souls. The science fiction plot device of countless clones is one form of this mythic immortality as are the fairy tales of doppelgangers. “It is obvious that the infantile fantasies which we all cherish still in the unconscious play continually into myth, fairy tale, and the teachings of the church, as symbols of indestructible being…But the circumstance is obstructive too, for the feelings come to rest in the symbols and resist passionately every effort to go beyond” (Campbell 177). On our own hero’s path to spiritual maturity is the temptation to hear such stories literally. The adventure leads us to enter into the power of the symbol remembering that ‘the menu is not the meal’.
    • Dalai Lama Pizza Order (Last post by Loudzoo)
    • So the Dalai Lama goes into a pizza restaurant and the waiter asks him "What toppings would you like on your pizza? Ham, cheese, mushrooms, onions, pineapple?" and the Dalai Lama replies "Just make me one with everything!" I like this joke but watching a news anchor actually tell it the man himself is even better. Awkward doesn't even come close . . . the joke (of course) was on the news anchor not the Dalai Lama!
    • About the lack of water in Brazil. (Last post by MrBruno)
    • Yes you are right. The problem in general is the lack of water, associated with the mismanagement of funds by our beloved governor (possibly will soon face some protests by people not very happy.). Long ago he was told by the technicians of the country about the problem, but ignored. The even worse is that most of the electricity is generated by hydroelectric here. We are all concerned about the fact but wonder that the news has not been published in any external media. (The government here often stifle all)

There are 316 visitors, 6 guests and 19 members online (one in chat): steamboat28, Shadouness, Jestor, 666, Nakis, Burn_Phoenix, Alexandre Orion, Llama Su, Silvermane, Pyrus Erath, Jamie Stick, Mathew Erickson, Calanon, Goken, Rocda, MrBruno, Ariane, Sha Karn, Relyt Dagor, Ramadeus, oliverjhardy.

Follow Us