Way Of Sorrows

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Way Of Sorrows 23 Mar 2008 01:32 #12777

• Yoda
  • ID: 908
The Stations of the Cross (or Way of the Cross ; in Latin , Via Crucis ; also called the Via Dolorosa or Way of Sorrows , or simply, The Way ) refers to the depiction of the final hours (or Passion ) of Jesus , and the devotion commemorating the Passion. The tradition as chapel devotion began with St. Francis of Assisi and extended throughout the Roman Catholic Church in the medieval period. It is less often observed in Anglicanism , and Lutheranism as well. It may be done at any time, but is most commonly done during the Season of Lent , especially on Good Friday and on Friday evenings during Lent . On Good Friday 1991, Pope John Paul II introduced a new form of devotion, called the Scriptural Way of the Cross which calls for more meditation. He celebrated that thereafter at the Colosseum The object of the Stations is to help the faithful to make a spiritual pilgrimage of prayer, through meditating upon the chief scenes of Christ's sufferings and death. It has become one of the most popular devotions for Roman Catholics, as well as featuring in the worship and devotion of other Christian denominations . In the Roman Catholic tradition, the meditation is often performed in a spirit of reparation for the sufferings and insults that Jesus endured during His Passion. In his encyclical Miserentissimus Redemptor on reparations, Pope Pius XI called Acts of Reparation to Jesus Christ a duty for Catholics and refered to them as \" some sort of compensation to be rendered for the injury \" with respect to the sufferings of Jesus. Pope John Paul II referred to Acts of Reparation as the \" unceasing effort to stand beside the endless crosses on which the Son of God continues to be crucified \". The Stations themselves are usually a series of 14* pictures or sculptures depicting the following scenes: Jesus is condemned to death Jesus receives the cross Jesus falls the first time Jesus meets His Mother Simon of Cyrene carries the cross Veronica wipes Jesus' face with her veil Jesus falls the second time Jesus meets the daughters of Jerusalem Jesus falls the third time Jesus is stripped of His garments Crucifixion : Jesus is nailed to the cross Jesus dies on the cross Jesus' body is removed from the cross ( Pieta ) Jesus is laid in the tomb and covered in incense. Pope John Paul II created a version, for the Roman Catholic Church, in which all of the Stations were taken from Scripture known as the Scriptural Way of the Cross . It was first publicly celebrated by Pope John Paul II on Good Friday 1991 in the Coliseum in Rome . In 2007, Pope Benedict XVI approved this set of stations for meditation and public celebration: They follow this sequence: Jesus in the Garden of Olives, Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested, Jesus is condemned by the Sanhedrin, Jesus is denied by Peter, Jesus is judged by Pilate, Jesus is scourged and crowned with thorns, Jesus takes up his cross, Jesus is helped by Simon to carry his cross, Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem, Jesus is crucified, Jesus promises his kingdom to the good thief, Jesus and his mother and disciple, Jesus dies on the cross, Jesus is laid in the tomb. In the Roman Catholic Church, Pope John Paul II led an annual public prayer of the Stations of the Cross at the Roman Colosseum on Good Friday. Originally, the Pope himself carried the cross from station to station, but in his last years, he presided over the celebration from a stage on the Palatine Hill , while others carried the cross. Just days prior to his death in 2005, Pope John Paul II observed the Stations of the Cross from his private chapel in the Vatican . Each year a different person is invited to write the meditation texts for the Stations. Past composers of the Papal Stations include several non-Catholics. The Holy Father himself wrote the texts for the Jubilee year 2000 and used the traditional Stations. The celebration of the Stations of the Cross is especially common on the Fridays of Lent, especially Good Friday. Community celebrations are usually accompanied by various songs and prayers. Particularly common as musical accompaniment is the sequence Stabat Mater Dolorosa . At the end of each station, the Adoramus Te is sometimes sung. The Alleluia is also sung; however, that holy word is buried during Lent. Structurally, Mel Gibson 's 2004 film, The Passion of Christ , follows the Stations of the Cross. The fourteenth and last station, the Burial, is not prominently depicted (compared to the other thirteen) but it is implied since the last shot before credit titles is Jesus resurrected and about to leave the tomb.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • So, whos fault is it? (Last post by Adder)
    • Hmmm, her sleepiness and inability to hold onto the coffee could have been foreseen as likely consequences of the night before..... but anyway I think blame connects intention with effect/result, otherwise yeap, its compartmentalization of emotion and creation of emotional baggage - sooner or later its going to have be unpacked!!
    • geometric sequencing (Last post by a67)
    • Thats why I was thinking before connect my main computer on the net... But its too late. :pinch: Im on. Rock & roll B) lool I just backup my projects in another places. If I can update myself good .. I am going to open a new portal to protect my privacy. :whistle: Security its our right Hack is left The truth our uppercut :lol:
    • Politics Everywhere? (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • gorrillas will oust an alpha if he fails as a leader a big part of his leadership role requires a kind of social sensitivity or social acuity to the members in the group wolves at first glance appear to be in a purely physical contest of strength, but its not always the largest wolf that leads and this is seen in many "alpha" social structures, intelligence and confidence -or assertivenesss, even personal charisma are major factors in determining status in a group. who wins an election if not the stronger candidate who ran the stronger campaign or had the strongest platform with the strongest base? lol everything changes into exactly what it was before
    • Jedi Community Action Group (Last post by Brenna)
    • Saw this and was reminded of this thread. "The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing, becomes as political an act as speaking out. There is no innocence. Either way, you're accountable." — Arundhati Roy
    • Jedi Bush-trackers... (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: a tip for starting fires without a match.... So far, I have successfully started fire with every "element" (whether Classical or Wu Xing) except water. It's next on my list. My favorite method, however, is the fire piston. [video]
    • Meditation tips (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: Rid your mind of any "empty head" nonsense you may have heard, and just be aware. Nonsense!!! My heads empty often and your right it is non-sense :lol: Perhaps better put, it could be the first step to being better able to focus on the 'mindstream' is just to observe it, but then for many later on it becomes second nature to work with it easily from emptiness to focused and back again as required - of course it cannot be empty, its just less detached and errant. Large chunks of Vajrayana are dedicated to 'cutting off' the mindstream to go deeper and deeper, perhaps better phrased as truer and truer or more 'now'!!! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%B6d
    • Mars One (Last post by a67)
    • It's easy to say, first we need to focus on Earth problem. Wich are the problems our planet are suffering? There a lot of things we don't know about the space. I don't think it's going to be a failure unless we begin a war on space. If we focus to the sucess instead of failure we can move mountain. Can we change the problems on Earth or do we really want? Who don't want the current state change? I am not pointing on anyone. I am just sure things can change easily in 10 years. Unfortunately, we are not aware of all the technologies we have now. www.nbcnews.com/science/space/life-mars-...hane-mystery-n269311 worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/question...evive-its-magnetosph www.mars-one.com/mission/risks-and-challenges www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/...blic-interest/47616/ Just like that. Life is a one way trip too.
    • Application Open: Secretary for the Synod (Last post by V-Tog)
    • The Synod is currently is looking for the right candidate for the position of Secretary for the Synod and welcomes applications from interested Clergy members. Job Description: The Secretary for the Synod is responsible for supporting a broad range of Synod initiatives, from recording Synod discussion, assisting the other members of the Synod with their initiatives, providing insight and aiding in engagement with the wider Clergy and the Temple congregation as a whole. Prerequisites for Application: Must be a member of the Clergy (Licensed Minister or above) Must be in good standing with the Temple How to Apply: To apply please send a message to the members of the Synod; Alexandre Orion, Akkarin and V-Tog. You may, if you wish, explain why you would like to fill this position. Closing Date for Applications: Saturday 11th April, 23:59 UTC Enquiries regarding the position or the application process should be sent in a PM to Alexandre, Akkarin or myself. Note: You do not need to send your questions or concerns to all three of us, but you do need to send your application to all three of us. There is also a vacancy for the position of Secretary to the Clergy, details of which can be found here. Please take your time to familiarize yourself with the differences between these two roles and to decide which one you may be more suited to. You are welcome to apply for both positions, if you wish, but please indicate your preferred role in your application.
    • Application Open: Secretary for the Clergy (Last post by V-Tog)
    • The Synod is currently is looking for the right candidate for the position of Secretary for the Clergy and welcomes applications from interested Clergy members. Job Description: The Secretary for the Clergy serves the TotJO by centralising communications between the Clergy and the community, between the Synod and active Clergy members and Seminarians. The Secretary for the Clergy is the primary chairperson of Clergy meetings, ensuring the orderly progression of the meeting and producing a comprehensive transcript of proceedings. It is also in this Office that the Sermon Schedule is determined and maintained. Prerequisites for Application: Must be a member of the Clergy (Licensed Minister or above) Must be in good standing with the Temple How to Apply: To apply please send a message to the members of the Synod; Alexandre Orion, Akkarin and V-Tog. You may, if you wish, explain why you would like to fill this position. Closing Date for Applications: Saturday 11th April, 23:59 UTC Enquiries regarding the position or the application process should be sent in a PM to Alexandre, Akkarin or myself. Note: You do not need to send your questions or concerns to all three of us, but you do need to send your application to all three of us. There is also a vacancy for the position of Secretary to the Synod, details of which can be found here. Please take your time to familiarize yourself with the differences between these two roles and to decide which one you may be more suited to. You are welcome to apply for both positions if you wish, but please indicate your preferred role in your application.

There are 195 visitors, 4 guests and 17 members online (none in chat): Br. John, Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Shadouness, Adder, Darren, Proteus, demal, Kamizu, Nicole Judge, Edan, Wudan, a67, Goken, GalUnDrux, Rocda, Ramadeus, Atticus509, bloodx.

Follow Us