Way Of Sorrows

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Way Of Sorrows 23 Mar 2008 01:32 #12777

• Yoda
  • ID: 908
The Stations of the Cross (or Way of the Cross ; in Latin , Via Crucis ; also called the Via Dolorosa or Way of Sorrows , or simply, The Way ) refers to the depiction of the final hours (or Passion ) of Jesus , and the devotion commemorating the Passion. The tradition as chapel devotion began with St. Francis of Assisi and extended throughout the Roman Catholic Church in the medieval period. It is less often observed in Anglicanism , and Lutheranism as well. It may be done at any time, but is most commonly done during the Season of Lent , especially on Good Friday and on Friday evenings during Lent . On Good Friday 1991, Pope John Paul II introduced a new form of devotion, called the Scriptural Way of the Cross which calls for more meditation. He celebrated that thereafter at the Colosseum The object of the Stations is to help the faithful to make a spiritual pilgrimage of prayer, through meditating upon the chief scenes of Christ's sufferings and death. It has become one of the most popular devotions for Roman Catholics, as well as featuring in the worship and devotion of other Christian denominations . In the Roman Catholic tradition, the meditation is often performed in a spirit of reparation for the sufferings and insults that Jesus endured during His Passion. In his encyclical Miserentissimus Redemptor on reparations, Pope Pius XI called Acts of Reparation to Jesus Christ a duty for Catholics and refered to them as \" some sort of compensation to be rendered for the injury \" with respect to the sufferings of Jesus. Pope John Paul II referred to Acts of Reparation as the \" unceasing effort to stand beside the endless crosses on which the Son of God continues to be crucified \". The Stations themselves are usually a series of 14* pictures or sculptures depicting the following scenes: Jesus is condemned to death Jesus receives the cross Jesus falls the first time Jesus meets His Mother Simon of Cyrene carries the cross Veronica wipes Jesus' face with her veil Jesus falls the second time Jesus meets the daughters of Jerusalem Jesus falls the third time Jesus is stripped of His garments Crucifixion : Jesus is nailed to the cross Jesus dies on the cross Jesus' body is removed from the cross ( Pieta ) Jesus is laid in the tomb and covered in incense. Pope John Paul II created a version, for the Roman Catholic Church, in which all of the Stations were taken from Scripture known as the Scriptural Way of the Cross . It was first publicly celebrated by Pope John Paul II on Good Friday 1991 in the Coliseum in Rome . In 2007, Pope Benedict XVI approved this set of stations for meditation and public celebration: They follow this sequence: Jesus in the Garden of Olives, Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested, Jesus is condemned by the Sanhedrin, Jesus is denied by Peter, Jesus is judged by Pilate, Jesus is scourged and crowned with thorns, Jesus takes up his cross, Jesus is helped by Simon to carry his cross, Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem, Jesus is crucified, Jesus promises his kingdom to the good thief, Jesus and his mother and disciple, Jesus dies on the cross, Jesus is laid in the tomb. In the Roman Catholic Church, Pope John Paul II led an annual public prayer of the Stations of the Cross at the Roman Colosseum on Good Friday. Originally, the Pope himself carried the cross from station to station, but in his last years, he presided over the celebration from a stage on the Palatine Hill , while others carried the cross. Just days prior to his death in 2005, Pope John Paul II observed the Stations of the Cross from his private chapel in the Vatican . Each year a different person is invited to write the meditation texts for the Stations. Past composers of the Papal Stations include several non-Catholics. The Holy Father himself wrote the texts for the Jubilee year 2000 and used the traditional Stations. The celebration of the Stations of the Cross is especially common on the Fridays of Lent, especially Good Friday. Community celebrations are usually accompanied by various songs and prayers. Particularly common as musical accompaniment is the sequence Stabat Mater Dolorosa . At the end of each station, the Adoramus Te is sometimes sung. The Alleluia is also sung; however, that holy word is buried during Lent. Structurally, Mel Gibson 's 2004 film, The Passion of Christ , follows the Stations of the Cross. The fourteenth and last station, the Burial, is not prominently depicted (compared to the other thirteen) but it is implied since the last shot before credit titles is Jesus resurrected and about to leave the tomb.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • How To Change The World: Repetition, Ritual and Be... (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • I think it would benefit the world if Jediism wasn't treated so much as a religion, but as an order- much like the Masons or Moose Lodge. These are orders which actively get out into the world and perform acts which exemplify the philosophy they preach. Every Mason is held accountable by tangible people. But for people in religion, the only ones that are truly held accountable are those which in positions of authority. It's too easy for someone to say "I am Christian, I attend church constantly, yada-yada-yada" but when you look at them, they have sex, cheat and steal. Because, to them, they are always going to be saved when they repent at the next service. Or a Pagan that can't remember but 2 of 8 holidays, and when they go to show reverence to their deity, it is a mock they are not even sure where to start. Religion is too easy to claim and do nothing with. You always know the one that truly lives up to their system by observation, and those which do not. If Jediism wanted to really make an impact on the world, a society of sorts would be the best means of creating change. Everyone would feel more compelled to take up the mantle called our Doctrine that we hold dear. Just my .02
    • From The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran (Last post by Zenchi)
    • Yeah, I looked it up, its in the public domain just about everywhere in the world except the United States as they changed copywrite laws to expand to 95 years after death..... :/
    • D&D (Last post by Joe)
    • Since i lack any form of routine in my life right now, i really can't say when i will have the time. Lets just go for "whenever" right now.
    • Language learners (Last post by rugadd)
    • The large sweeping motions in movies and wushu competitions are not the same as gong fu in practical application. I"ve found from personal experience that it becomes compacted in live combat. A high level of control, even a "natural state" of hand and arm gestures close to the body, is an insane advantage. Like the sign for "snake" or "wall", its easy to see how having a dictionaries worth of word movements to apply is like having every tool in the toolbox. Blocking especially.
    • My Daughter (Last post by Damion_Storm)
    • Thanks for all your thought and kind words. As an update she just had her first check up since getting out of the hospital and her A1c (a test that shows average blood sugar levels over a 3 month period) came back at 6.2 which means her average was about 115. This is great since they want it between 70 and 150. So thanks to you all family and the people at the Kentucky Chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation that have helped.
    • Confused (Last post by ryangoan)
    • "I profess before all my fellow Jedi that I,Ryan Goan born on 09/07/1984, without eservation, choose the Jedi path, until I am ready for Jedi Knighthood or I otherwise decide, with all its duties and responsibilities. I shall do that which is right and profess my allegiance to the Force. During that time I promise to do my utmost to uphold the Jedi teachings, and to live a life as is worthy of a Jedi."
    • The Order of the Good Death (Last post by Phortis Nespin)
    • Suicide has nothing to do with conquering fear. I have dealt with many suicides in my profession. None have been about conquering fear. Suicide is the end result of a life not understood. It is a rape victim who cannot deal with the shame. The anger of a son against his father. Wife against husband. Suicide is the last resort of a enfeebled mind. Until you see and hear the cries of the children who found their fathers body swinging in the garage, you must be careful of what you say here. There are many of us here that deal with this subject on a professional level and know. There are some here who may have tried to commit suicide and thankfully failed.
    • Assigning the Deity (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: The assigning the deity argument really just boils down to the extent to which you can justify your opinion etc... That's exactly right. My assertion is that you can never justify your opinion using religious sources. I disagree rather completely. It's no different than justifying your opinion using other sources you didn't author. Appealing to divine authority is a very specific form of the more general 'using other sources you didn't author' so it isn't quite the same. Think of the difference between moral views and scientific views, both use sources other than your own but they are very different.
    • The Union of East & West through Pop Culture (Last post by Arcade)
    • An excellent Oxford Union address by Chinese-American singer-songwriter Wang Leehom about discrimination, perspectives, stereotypes, thinking for yourself, and removing the artificial borders that separate the East and West by promoting a world music culture. I've always enjoyed his music, but gained more respect for him after viewing this. [video] (Leehom's Mixtape)
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Tripp Borz)
    • I started the insanity workout program this week. I think the hardest part wasn't the work out, it was getting up at 430 in the morning to go to the gym... :blink: So far I have the desire, I just hope it sticks around!
    • How to Post a Sermon (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • Quote: Quote: Your article will be saved for a revision. As I said it needs a revision. An admin or a publisher must approve it - unless you are one. Alexandre was faster than me.... :( Go ahead and keep answering people's questions though, Sajjad, please ... Alexandre gets things wrong pretty often too ... :blush:
    • "Empire Ideology" and Jediism? (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Quote: Quote: A true democracy would be nice, but impractical as the sheer effort of getting the masses to vote on anything of significance has proven too difficult for any democracy....even America's democratic republic... Not really, it's entirely possible to have everybody vote on every issue using computers. You could even use open source, transparent code so that it wouldn't get election-rigged and if it did then you could do a recount with updated software after someone found the flaw. Things like that. I've been saying that for years...what I was referring to in my previous post was getting the lazy masses off their rumps to actually vote...as Gabriel Iglesias pointed out we have higher voter turnout for stupid crap like american idol than we do for political offices etc

There are 384 visitors, 9 guests and 27 members online (none are in chat): Akkarin, Alethea Thompson, Shadouness, Gaia Chi, Jestor, ren, Adhara, Proteus, Luthien, V-Tog, rugadd, meatloaf, Tripp Borz, scott777ab, ckott, J. K. Barger, Buvan, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Kohadra, Edan, tzb, Senan, babyblueyes247, jamesjohnston1741, Visro Windu, Xan Montagu, Mozart Ponntes, Mathew Erickson, stormtrooperuk, prosingerrenee27, C.G.P..

Follow Us