Guns in America

More
8 years 6 months ago #204713 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Guns in America

Alethea Thompson wrote: :whistle: Makes me wonder how many of you pro-gun men frequent /k/ :D

??

i dont understand, but i think i want to?

People are complicated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #204714 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Guns in America
For, against… no matter which side of the argument we find ourselves coming down on we should consider what drives the other side. :unsure:

I have found that most arguments which find people deeply set to one side or the other, fear tends to be the motivating factor. Why don’t people want others to have firearms? They don’t want to risk being shot by another person. Why don’t people want their firearms taken away? They don’t want to be shot by another person. Wait a sec… that sounds like the same reason. :huh: :P :laugh:

And each person will argue their side fervently. Who is right and who is wrong? Both, neither and everyone. Each person believes they are right. And that belief is wrong. As the other person would disagree, and does. Hence the pages of arguing.

People can quote numbers they found from countless studies and reports trying to convince me the worthiness of their debate. But at the end of the day; gun control is treating the symptom and ignoring the cause. I guess people believe this approach will work because it is how we face the common cold. Get a cold, take an aspirin. But the body is hard at work fighting what you cannot see. And of course people that commit mass shooting will be diagnosed as having some kind of mental issue. We would not consider them “normal” for that behavior. In my opinion, we need to turn our focus away from the rhetoric that is being fed us as a distraction from the main issue… why people feel they can or need to commit acts of violence.

Many of these people, and all people that commit acts of violent crimes I would think, do so out of some kind of internal struggle. Hopelessness, despair, feeling powerless and lost in an uncaring and hostile system sometimes the only end they feel they have left to be heard or to make some kind of impact is to act out in a violent crime. Mass shooting, murder, rape, abuse, bullying… these are all things that can, or are at least some times attributed to the afore mentioned states of emotional distress.

I honestly believe that if societies have a spiritual center which guides their moral compass and work toward the betterment of the whole (what is good for everyone) then the individuals feeling of hopelessness and despair would subside, not disappear, and the number of violent crimes would decrees.

On a side note… I have had firearms in my home for my entire life (a good deal longer than many of you have been alive :P ) and not once has one of them loaded themselves and tried to kill me. A firearm is just a tool. It is the person that needs healing for the hurting to stop.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, RyuJin, J_Roz, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204717 by
Replied by on topic Guns in America

Wescli Wardest wrote: For, against… no matter which side of the argument we find ourselves coming down on we should consider what drives the other side. :unsure:

I have found that most arguments which find people deeply set to one side or the other, fear tends to be the motivating factor. Why don’t people want others to have firearms? They don’t want to risk being shot by another person. Why don’t people want their firearms taken away? They don’t want to be shot by another person. Wait a sec… that sounds like the same reason. :huh: :P :laugh:

And each person will argue their side fervently. Who is right and who is wrong? Both, neither and everyone. Each person believes they are right. And that belief is wrong. As the other person would disagree, and does. Hence the pages of arguing.

People can quote numbers they found from countless studies and reports trying to convince me the worthiness of their debate. But at the end of the day; gun control is treating the symptom and ignoring the cause. I guess people believe this approach will work because it is how we face the common cold. Get a cold, take an aspirin. But the body is hard at work fighting what you cannot see. And of course people that commit mass shooting will be diagnosed as having some kind of mental issue. We would not consider them “normal” for that behavior. In my opinion, we need to turn our focus away from the rhetoric that is being fed us as a distraction from the main issue… why people feel they can or need to commit acts of violence.

Many of these people, and all people that commit acts of violent crimes I would think, do so out of some kind of internal struggle. Hopelessness, despair, feeling powerless and lost in an uncaring and hostile system sometimes the only end they feel they have left to be heard or to make some kind of impact is to act out in a violent crime. Mass shooting, murder, rape, abuse, bullying… these are all things that can, or are at least some times attributed to the afore mentioned states of emotional distress.

I honestly believe that if societies have a spiritual center which guides their moral compass and work toward the betterment of the whole (what is good for everyone) then the individuals feeling of hopelessness and despair would subside, not disappear, and the number of violent crimes would decrees.

On a side note… I have had firearms in my home for my entire life (a good deal longer than many of you have been alive :P ) and not once has one of them loaded themselves and tried to kill me. A firearm is just a tool. It is the person that needs healing for the hurting to stop.

Yes, the problem is not of too many guns but too many people with emotional distress and no plan to help them. Millions of regular people own guns, never kill anyone with them. It just doesn't seem right to take a right away from the vast majority to ensure that a few disturbed people can't get guns (not that this would really stop that anyway).

More
8 years 6 months ago #204724 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Guns in America
I guess the real issue isn't about access to weapons, especially in the US where they are everywhere already, but what degree of capability to inflict damage can a legal weapon have ie you cannot own a rocket launcher. Access to weapon's have and need a hard limit, so it should be about where that limit is most effective. Which means for defence purposes, then the limit would seem to be equivalent or higher then the threat. I know that view is slightly one dimensional, such that population of handgun wielding innocents against one criminal with an M4 would not be a good move for the sane criminal.

One thing to consider is that limit for legal ownership is likely not going to increase, yet criminals will be able to continue to increase their weapon's lethality. So IMO the self defence from crime, and right to revolt are not really strong arguments... as no modern military is going to be stopped by numbers of citizens armed with rifles, carbines, shotguns and handguns. A possible idea would seem to be in affordable armour and protection measures but tighter building access controls and armoring levels in vehicles and structures help drive an increase in criminals capabilities to counter the increase protection measures.

I don't have an answer for the US, as its too saturated, but I'm happy with Australia's approach despite being a gun nut myself. If anyone has a gun here where they shouldn't, then they get treated like a serious threat by Police no matter their actual intention - which does reduce the number of guns on the street. Unfortunately illegal guns are still easy to get here since we have a widespread organised crime problem, but I think it would be a lot worse if we did not have the law changes back in `96. I personally saw about 3 at social events before 96 with young adults, but haven't seen one since. I think there are other measures to protect oneself then pretending to be able to employ one effectively when needed, as the situation where one can do so would probably also be a situation which could be managed by other means - its the situation where other options for protection break down which also likely mean one is less able to use a gun effectively.... which means giving another criminal another weapon at the end of the day - unless they are actually there deliberately to kill you, like your being hunted or something, then it would be sleeping with one eye open and one hand of the weapon no doubt!!

Of course my imagination is good enough to understand that is not a rule, and familiarity with ones premises against even multiple attackers in the dark would offer some advantage to the home owner, but I cannot help but think the criminal is probably going to be less rational, more resourced, not alone and probably ice'd to the hilt which means even getting the first hit/s might not be enough, but also not probably there to kill you but rather rob you and if its a choice between letting them ransack the house while you duck out the back, or risk confronting them in a gun fight, I'd take the former each time.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204739 by

Wescli Wardest wrote: For, against… no matter which side of the argument we find ourselves coming down on we should consider what drives the other side. :unsure:

Extremely well put I think because people have different mentalities certain issues they will never agree on or convince each other of. Better to focus on something that we could all agree on which is helping to make people less violent or whatever the root cause may be.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204776 by
I can sympathize with gun control advocates slightly. I no longer go hunting because there are so many irresponsible morons out there during deer season. I have come close to being shot several times despite wearing my orange vest and following all the hunting laws. I am from Pennsylvania and there a many people here who resent even legal gun owners because of the irresponsible actions of some citizens. There are plenty of stories of deer hunters shooting too close to private property and hitting cars, houses, and people. Not to mention, the countless hunting accidents, children dying from unlocked guns, accidental discharges, you name it. There are people who CAN legally own a firearm but are so stupid that they really SHOULDN'T.

At the same time, I know the useful of guns in self-protection and this is where I conflict with the gun control advocates. Politicians will talk about advocating more gun control if it will get them elected. They will also, at the same time, pose for photos with guns to appeal to "rural America". Remeber the picture of President Obama shooting a shotgun? http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02/02/white-house-releases-photo-of-obama-shooting-shotgun/

Some have said "Well, we have to stop the mentally ill from getting guns." Does that mean everyone who is prescribed Ritalin, Adderall, Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Lexapro, Lithium, Celexa, Thorazine, Risperidone, ect. can't buy a gun? We cannot judge them as being unfit to own a gun based on their prescritions. Should we ban anyone who has ever attended therapy or counseling from ever obtaining a firearm? It would be too much to try to control and would be a huge invasion of privacy. I am more in favor of hiring more armed guards in public spaces than trying sort out who is mentally compentent enough to own a gun.

One last idea, and I know it's a stretch, would converting more gun owners to smart guns/biometric firearms. They have fingerprint recognition on the trigger locks and other companies have even developed guns locks that require radio frequency identification to be operated. In other words, nobody can operate the gun but the owner. The technology is so advanced that it would be extremely difficult for criminal to try to reprogram the lock. There are many small companies developing and producing these guns. Perhaps they could invent a remote that law enforcement could use to disable the lock from a distance if the gun owner should attempt to use it in a crime. I know it sounds straight out of James Bond but these companies are well under way in developing this technology.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 6 months ago #204811 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Guns in America
i agree biometric locks would be a good idea...there are already some firearms on the market like that....the cost is prohibitively high at the moment though...

maybe we should have a government like in starship troopers...only citizens can own firearms...service guarantees citizenship....since military personnel are well trained in the safe handling and proper shooting of firearms....hunting accidents are often the result of poor marksmanship....you should always know what it is you're shooting at and what is beyond what you're shooting at...when we go shooting we always make certain to have a safe backstop behind our target, when we hunt we always know which direction "civilization" is and what it is we're taking aim at....and i often tend to position myself higher than my target so that if i do miss (which almost never happens) the shot goes into the ground safely.....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
8 years 6 months ago #204817 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Guns in America
Biometric locks are a good idea? Yes a bad guy wanting to kill you isnt bad enough lets add a way for mister murphy to do so in the form of electronics.

Let the government shut down guns at will? Might as well outlaw them then because it negates the intent of personal firearms ownership to begin with.

A government like start ship troops where rights are only granted to citizens via services? Fine I want your right to free speech, freedom of religion(no more jedi temple), freedom of assembly, oh heck while we are at it you are not even free to decide what to so with your own body why not. That suggestion is utterly corrosive to the concept of liberty and against the founding principles of the United States. Further its a slap in the fact to all veterans and current service members as it is a direct disreguard of the whole point of their sacrifice.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 6 months ago #204822 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Guns in America
firstly i am a veteran....secondly that part was sarcasm....so don't get your undies in a wad....

and i don't agree with allowing the government to shut down firearms electronically....i do agree that having a firearm that is biometrically coded for its owner is a good idea (this can be as simple as a fingerprint/palm print)....if i own a gun (which i own several) i like the idea that no one else can take my weapon and use it against me....my laptop is biometrically locked, no one but me can use it...just because something is biometrically locked does not mean outside sources can access it...the biometrically locked firearms i've seen cannot be accessed remotely, you have to physcally touch them...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
8 years 6 months ago #204824 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Guns in America
RyuJin as am I so you can guess why such a statement would bug me. Further I cant detect sarcasm on the internet and far too many people would actually mean what you said for me to tell who is joking and who is not.

Further Biometrics SUCK. They fail when you need them most and frankly adding one more item to fail on a life saving tool is just foolish. Add to this that I do not want my fiance to have to worry about oh crap is this gun coded to Hatter or myself if we ever need the firearm. Having it so you cant allow anyone to use your firearm is just foolish and cumbersome.

To close if you dont think the government would demand shut down capabilities on any electronic lock out devices you are far more trusting of them then I am.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi