light sabers and martale arts

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

light sabers and martale arts 03 Mar 2011 19:51 #37013

in my room i have quite the lightsbaer collection as i use that term looseley for they are on toys and one prop replica. i also own one sword but i want to know if their is anyone in ontario canada u can tell me were their might be a kendo school. so that i can get more in touch with that part of my self. i will be buying my own kendo stick soon its just the armour is going take me some time to find. and as for the opened hand im loking at takeing kung fu as my opend hand martial arts.

Re:light sabers and martale arts 08 Mar 2011 06:46 #37107

Just for information ;)

In Kendo there are no sticks, if you take up the art you will be using Bamboo Shinai With a Tsuba or a Bokken you may also need a Keokogi and Hakama .

Also if you are going to be practicing Kendo why not look into a Japanese open handed Martial Art i.e. Tai Jutsu as you may find it will go hand in hand with your Kendo.

I wish you luck in your training and hope you find a Sensei that will guide you on your pathway.

MTFBWY

Re:light sabers and martale arts 09 Mar 2011 07:59 #37137

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Some may fit better, than others... I would follow Keith's advice... I have limited knowledge in other styles... I am just a TKD practioner....

Investigate all you can before making a decision...

Good Luck ...
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna, Llama Su

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

"My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions." ~Dr. Alfred Lanning (I, Robot)

"Wherever this leads, I DO like the idea of semi-nomadic symbolism. In truth, it speaks more from the heart of our decentralized culture.
We have no Pontiff, we have no Prophet...we have a loose confederation of independent people who agree upon fundamental symbols that we interpret in our own way according to our philosophy and spirituality.
Moreover, that is not a weakness - it remains our singular strength." ~Reacher~

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 01:17 #37628

Well spaceace, i dont know of any schools in ontario but i happen to live in alberta and have 11 years experiance in various hand weaopons such as swords but more in staffs. Perhaps in the summer i can visit or we can just set up webcam?

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 02:01 #37630

Greetings Each

Well Keith Renshi is my Master as such but not here..and I am confused..all the time lol.

Totally agree with Keith Renshi and Master Jester. All I would add is, Please try to find a club that has traditional ethics and etiquette.

Yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike
Yours in the Spirit of Budo

Mike

I am everything, nothing and all that is in between, I am, KI :)

Re:light sabers and martale arts 30 Mar 2011 04:18 #37719

Jestor wrote:
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Master Jester,

Thank you for your kind and respectful words.

You have my full respect as a Master and Martial Artist.

I look forward to talking with you again soon .

MTFBWY
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • The End of Casual Christianity (Last post by Alan)
    • To build and dwell within is what humans do. Like us, the sacred dwells amidst all that is. May faiths build a place for their sacred and what that sacred is will determine the dwelling's purpose. A gathering place. A temple to house the deity. An expression of beliefs held. Some buildings are mirrors of the cosmos, like Hindu and Buddhist temples or American Plains Indian teepees. Some religions have no building, like the ancient Zoroastrians, but only a fire altar upon the hilltop. Christian sacred space is within church walls and is of a different theological quality than the profane world outside. The Muslim's prayer rug is a representation of the Garden of Eden where, like Paradise itself, puts the believer in direct contact through prayer with Allah the Merciful. Some sacred places have buildings erected there and the myth of that place is represented in the temple, as in Shinto. Theology informs architecture.
    • The Sixth Extinction (Last post by Locksley)
    • The problems associated with the one-child laws are, frankly scary. We're seeing a massive rise in depression and mood disorders worldwide, but in China, and even more Japan, we're seeing extremely serious cases on widespread levels - children growing up completely divorced from society, family, even themselves - unable to cope with existence. And we're definitely seeing an issue with the rise in lifespan accompanied by a drop in birthrate. But, someone in the comments section of one of those posts quoted Carlin, and it made me think of this: Spoiler: Quote: “We’re so self-important. Everybody’s going to save something now. “Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails.” And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. Save the planet, we don’t even know how to take care of ourselves yet. I’m tired of this shit. I’m tired of f-ing Earth Day. I’m tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is that there aren’t enough bicycle paths. People trying to make the world safe for Volvos. Besides, environmentalists don’t give a shit about the planet. Not in the abstract they don’t. You know what they’re interested in? A clean place to live. Their own habitat. They’re worried that some day in the future they might be personally inconvenienced. Narrow, unenlightened self-interest doesn’t impress me. The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles … hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages … And we think some plastic bags and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet isn’t going anywhere. WE are! We’re going away. Pack your shit, folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Maybe a little Styrofoam … The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas. The planet will be here for a long, long, LONG time after we’re gone, and it will heal itself, it will cleanse itself, ’cause that’s what it does. It’s a self-correcting system. The air and the water will recover, the earth will be renewed. And if it’s true that plastic is not degradable, well, the planet will simply incorporate plastic into a new paradigm: the earth plus plastic. The earth doesn’t share our prejudice toward plastic. Plastic came out of the earth. The earth probably sees plastic as just another one of its children. Could be the only reason the earth allowed us to be spawned from it in the first place. It wanted plastic for itself. Didn’t know how to make it. Needed us. Could be the answer to our age-old egocentric philosophical question, “Why are we here?” Plastic… asshole.” I think that this requires narrowing down the discussion, or at least making the specific point that what we're really talking about here is "how to make humanity better", not "how to save the world." The goal here is to question the future of our species - if there is a future. It's also about a sense of responsibility - because we, as humans, feel a deep sense of self-importance, we end up caring about our actions. I think that this can actually be a really good thing: I think the urge towards betterment is not an unworthy one. This sense of responsibility is also valid when we consider the sheer rate of extinction, caused directly by our growing civilization. Our sense of separateness allows us to recognize our very direct part in the destruction of the world environment and ecosystem - and yet it doesn't seem to be enough to actually make us do any better. We toss something in the recycling bin and feel proud of ourselves for doing our part - when in reality we aren't doing our part - we aren't concerned with doing our part; we're very concerned with looking like we're concerned with doing our part. I think we should try to better ourselves. Should try to improve the global environment, for our species and all those billions of species upon which we somehow rely. Because the fact of the matter is that Carlin might have been a cynical philosophic bastard, but he used his humor to try and make people think. His jokes aren't banter for banter's sake - they're there to try and create the voice of self-reflection that people are so-often missing. "Save the planet, we don’t even know how to take care of ourselves yet." So how do we save ourselves? Here's another Carlin Quote: Quote: I look at it this way... For centuries now, man has done everything he can to destroy, defile, and interfere with nature: clear-cutting forests, strip-mining mountains, poisoning the atmosphere, over-fishing the oceans, polluting the rivers and lakes, destroying wetlands and aquifers... so when nature strikes back, and smacks him on the head and kicks him in the nuts, I enjoy that. I have absolutely no sympathy for human beings whatsoever. None. And no matter what kind of problem humans are facing, whether it's natural or man-made, I always hope it gets worse. --- This is just me spit-balling some thoughts. I'm not trying to create an argument for any particular direction of thought here. ---
    • On Self Knowledge (and The Jedi Path) (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: On Self-Knowledge - Kahlil Gibran Your hearts know in silence the secrets of the days and the nights. But your ears thirst for the sound of your heart's knowledge. You would know in words that which you have always known in thought. You would touch with your fingers the naked body of your dreams. And it is well you should. The hidden well-spring of your soul must needs rise and run murmuring to the sea; And the treasure of your infinite depths would be revealed to your eyes. But let there be no scales to weigh your unknown treasure; And seek not the depths of your knowledge with staff or sounding line. For self is a sea boundless and measureless. Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, "I have found a truth." Say not, "I have found the path of the soul." Say rather, "I have met the soul walking upon my path." For the soul walks upon all paths. The soul walks not upon a line, neither does it grow like a reed. The soul unfolds itself like a lotus of countless petals. Enlightenment is like the moon reflected on the water. The moon does not get wet, nor is the water broken. Although its light is wide and great, The moon is reflected even in a puddle an inch wide. The whole moon and the entire sky Are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. -zen poem quote
    • How to get a group started? (Last post by Aqua)
    • It is always easy to split people intro 'Us vs them' Would it be an art to remove or decrease that feeling? Would it be an art to shape people by helping them to accept who they are, to act as a listening ear? More important is that the youth section could be a 'them' to, but I do not hear problems often.. Maybe there are, not mine to know, but if a system is really needed it should get a change to proof itself. But i do not know how many members there are, that are requesting such groups. It is always possible to connect one or more dedicated and trusted members with other people, like a buddy system. If groups are one step to far, and the demand is not high. A buddy could ensure a save way to talk about multiple subjects.
    • TotJO Audio/Video Sermons (Last post by Kamizu)
    • Post your audio or video sermons here! For information on how to get your sermons uploaded to the TotJO YouTube channel, please contact Akkarin or I. If your videos are listed as private, you are welcome to place them under the "Hide texts from Guests" code.
    • Wonders of our Doctrine.. (Last post by Locksley)
    • Well, some of the 'roots of Jediism' are found in the IP. Mostly the roots of Jediism as related to the films can be found in whatever interested George Lucas at the time he was writing the script! :woohoo: He was especially enamored with Japanese culture - and many of his ideas in terms of filming and story construction evolved after watching Akira Kurosawa's early work. Through that we find a wealth of quasi-mythological things planted into the Star Wars world, along with certain aspects of Lucas's own personal history and evolving psyche. But there's a reason Campbell liked it all so much - in stealing random ideas from history, mythology, and other directors films, Lucas ended up creating something which linked itself smoothly through popular culture back into relevant human mythologies that had existed for many times longer than the silver screen. Really there is no basis for Jediism in Star Wars - alone, at any rate. Star Wars is just a launching platform built on much older ideas and philosophies - a translating program if you will, that allows us modern animals renewed access to deeper levels of thought than "how much gas/petrol costs per gallon/liter this week," or whether or not we paid the rent on time. There were certainly many belief systems before Star Wars that espoused various similar traits to Jediism, but Jediism could only arise as this self-aware beast because of the films. Having it's staple terminology granted from a pop-culture icon allows Jediism a certain breath of self-awareness that I'm not sure all religions or forms of 'spiritual'-inquiry have access to; a certain humor about itself. So yes, I think that Jediism and Star Wars share several roots. One of the most prominent is the terminology Jediism takes from Star Wars. The next most-prominent would be the various eastern mythology and methodology aspects built into the Star Wars concept, which Jediism then follows further to the actual - non-fictional - roots. Then there are aspects of western mythology and methodology - again, which Jediism attempts to understand the source of.
    • Audio Sermons (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Please join me in thanking Cabur Senaar for his contribution! The option to have an audio sermon uploaded is still available for those who have the ability to make them and it would be great to see the YouTube channel a little more active! Please disregard the previous email addresses (sorry ren and V :P) and email your files to either prteam@templeofthejediorder[dot]org or PM me for my personal email address!
    • What are you reading right now? (Last post by Rickie)
    • A page or two of this almost everyday.... www.taowoods.org/quote/index.htm?focus=13 It's made a great difference in my life and can't recomend it enough! I'm also reading Game of Thrones book 5 and Power Hold'em StrategyPaperback– Daniel Negreanu(Author) I enjoy diversity. :)
    • What is "MEANING" - what is "MEANIN... (Last post by Goken)
    • Quote: Quote: im asking; how do YOU understand or explain the idea of MEANINGFUL? what does it mean to YOU? Very good question. I like it. Thank you. I think meaningfull isn't so complicated as most people make it out to be. Meaningfull is whatever is important to you. For me, It's living as simple a life as I can in haromony with the world around me. Also I'd like the world to better place for me being here. I want to live well and be comfortable, at least most of the time, but that doesn't mean extravagant. I try to focus on the kinder and gentiler aspects of life but still be cognitive of the realities of life and not be foolisly optimistic. Meaningfull is finding balance so you feel connected to life and all that is around you. Meaningfull is being at peace with yourself. :) That. All of that. I like it. It's a struggle I find myself in all the time. I realize that I could have more money and stuff and be less financially worried if I picked up another job and worked 60 hours a week instead of the 40 I do now, but everytime I think about it I think of the free time I'd be giving up. I enjoy my free time so I'm not really inclined to give it up. I think, what if I had a day where I worked from when I woke up to when I went to bed then died in my sleep, will I have enjoyed my last day? Now, not every day can be a perfect last day, but I can try to make all of mine not the worst. I feel like an entire day spent at work, even though I enjoy my job, would not be a good day to have be my last. Yesterday I had a pretty meaningful day. I did a small amount of cleaning, watched both Captain America movies (the most patriotic movies I own for Memorial Day here in the USA), then spent the afternoon and evening grilling and spending time outside with friends. I could've died last night and, while still prefering to have lived, not felt like I wasted my last day. That, to me, is living a meaningful life.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • 10 x 3 x ( x 2 hands) 3 kg triceps 20 x 3 x ( x 2 hands) 3 kg biceps 20 x 3 push ups 20 x 3 air squats 20 x 3 x ( x 2 hands) 3 kg biceps 10 x 3 x ( x 2 hands) 3 kg triceps 1.6 Km running.
    • The Dark (Last post by Rickie)
    • Please tell us more about yourself. :)

There are 542 visitors, 16 guests and 58 members online (3  in chat): Br. John, Zanthan Storm, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Shadouness, Firewolf, RyuJin, Jestor, Connor L., Adder, Proteus, Locksley, Xaii, Alexandre Orion, Elemental Harmony, Alan, PatrickB, Arcade, Brenna, Twilightwalker, Archon, Kamizu, LuCrae Jiddu, Degataga, Mr. Love, Edan, Zenchi, Pyrus Erath, peace, Venator Mortis, Junlaa, Goken, Matsukaze, GalUnDrux, Exarchias, Faol, Rocda, Tk768, Atticus509, Krieger, Lugus Ogmios, asteropos, MaGnA CrYsTaL, Blackbeard, WayneTec, Competent, Protonix, Adi Vas, CryojenX, Neorian, Blind, Plasmawiz, Stroke, Ana Karen Po, Izoshua, Thenamelessjedi, MichaelP1029, RKnowles, MeliKnowles, Klutot, TheGreyRabbit, ODSTJONATHAN.

Follow Us