light sabers and martale arts

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

light sabers and martale arts 03 Mar 2011 19:51 #37013

in my room i have quite the lightsbaer collection as i use that term looseley for they are on toys and one prop replica. i also own one sword but i want to know if their is anyone in ontario canada u can tell me were their might be a kendo school. so that i can get more in touch with that part of my self. i will be buying my own kendo stick soon its just the armour is going take me some time to find. and as for the opened hand im loking at takeing kung fu as my opend hand martial arts.

Re:light sabers and martale arts 08 Mar 2011 06:46 #37107

Just for information ;)

In Kendo there are no sticks, if you take up the art you will be using Bamboo Shinai With a Tsuba or a Bokken you may also need a Keokogi and Hakama .

Also if you are going to be practicing Kendo why not look into a Japanese open handed Martial Art i.e. Tai Jutsu as you may find it will go hand in hand with your Kendo.

I wish you luck in your training and hope you find a Sensei that will guide you on your pathway.

MTFBWY

Re:light sabers and martale arts 09 Mar 2011 07:59 #37137

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Some may fit better, than others... I would follow Keith's advice... I have limited knowledge in other styles... I am just a TKD practioner....

Investigate all you can before making a decision...

Good Luck ...
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

"Wherever this leads, I DO like the idea of semi-nomadic symbolism. In truth, it speaks more from the heart of our decentralized culture.
We have no Pontiff, we have no Prophet...we have a loose confederation of independent people who agree upon fundamental symbols that we interpret in our own way according to our philosophy and spirituality.
Moreover, that is not a weakness - it remains our singular strength." ~Reacher~

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 01:17 #37628

Well spaceace, i dont know of any schools in ontario but i happen to live in alberta and have 11 years experiance in various hand weaopons such as swords but more in staffs. Perhaps in the summer i can visit or we can just set up webcam?

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 02:01 #37630

Greetings Each

Well Keith Renshi is my Master as such but not here..and I am confused..all the time lol.

Totally agree with Keith Renshi and Master Jester. All I would add is, Please try to find a club that has traditional ethics and etiquette.

Yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike
Yours in the Spirit of Budo

Mike

I am everything, nothing and all that is in between, I am, KI :)

Re:light sabers and martale arts 30 Mar 2011 04:18 #37719

Jestor wrote:
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Master Jester,

Thank you for your kind and respectful words.

You have my full respect as a Master and Martial Artist.

I look forward to talking with you again soon .

MTFBWY
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • The Imperishable Gem (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • "My great peace woman has only a single name : she is called universal justice, humaneness, active reason ... Her function, in accordance with her name and her nature, is to inculcate dispositions of peace." ~ John Gottfried Herder, Letters for the Advancement of Humanity (1793-1797)
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Jedi_Roz)
    • 15 mins on wiifit, yesterday five min meditation. ;-) it's a start. Finally starting to feel better again.
    • Moral Fact (Last post by Gisteron)
    • I think the definitions provided for what constitutes a fact and an opinion respectively do not do either term justice. To say that a fact is something that is true doesn't actually help anyone understand what a fact is, it just swaps one label for another. Same with opinions being (merely?) something one thinks or feels. I suppose it is good enough for fourth grade and an exercise to tell the difference under these definitions certainly has its place, too, but I would challenge Professor McBrayer to demonstrate that these definitions are being used throughout twelve years, as he puts it, or that the students are supposed to view them as opposites as much in the end as they did in the beginning. There is also a distinction necessary between moral relativism and the unnamed alternative he proposes. To defend realistic moral cognitivism (a position - and I am simplifying here - where there are actual moral truths and where we are in principle capable of identifying them) is nigh impossible but he is sure welcome to try, though might it take more than he had to offer in this article. In any case, to disagree with that position is in no way equivalent to agreeing with moral relativism instead. Nor for that matter, has Mr. McBrayer made a case for what's wrong with moral relativism even if the dichotomy he seems to be presenting were true. He also tried and miserably failed at presenting a consequentialist case against the curriculum as it is. There is neither cognitive dissonance in most people when it comes to clear-cut issues like shamelessly cheating in competitions or murdering people nor has modern education demonstrably done anything to increase either. If anything, local communities with less public education, be that by choice of the parents or by mere shortage of schools and teachers, seem to be slightly worse off. The only real large scale moral problem he mentions is the voting one, and it just so happens that people actually do and always have been voting in the way he thinks is contrary to the famous platitude and so deems wrong because Adam Smith rings none of his bells while oh that wicked education does. All in all, a number of mostly false and occasionally partially true assertions, some appeals to emotion and false dichotomy fallacies and a conclusion that wouldn't follow from any prior point even under valid argumentation... I'm unimpressed. From a philosophy professor speaking about his own field I learned to expect more than what can be torn to pieces by the very first lay person to come along.
    • Questions (Last post by Kamizu)
    • Quote: O Describes a typical day and week for an active member I'm not sure there's anything typical about our time across the board. Nothing that the Temple dictates. Quote: O Describes typical monthly and yearly religious events (holidays, traditions, rites of passage, etc.) Religious events tend to be drawn from the traditions local to the members, and the companion religions they follow. Although I did find this, I haven't seen it closely followed by everyone: FAQ: Holy Days Quote: Describe rituals you may perform, daily tasks you must do, any paraphernalia you need to wear or carry around with you, religious celebrations, or anything else you can think of. These following answers are from me as an individual. Jediism is apart of me as well as everything else that *I* am so take these answers from me as an individual rather than what the Jedi do as a whole. Daily tasks I chose to do: give respect and honor to the spirits around me. Paraphernalia I chose to carry/wear: I have a small medicine pouch I carry around with me and I wear a pair of earrings that I made to help connect myself with my power animal. But I can't wear them at work :( Religious celebrations: I do some minor personal respects for the season markers. The starts of seasons and the mid-seasons. Otherwise the holidays are more cultural than religious. Quote: What do you do for your meditations? How long? Is it encourage or required to meditate every day? if not, how often? I have a nice toolbox full of different kinds of meditations that I'll use as I feel I need them or I feel my guides direct me towards but my favorite is doing Shamanic journeys. They last until I'm done but typically 5-10 minutes. Occasionally I'll do something for 15 minutes. I've been encouraged to meditate by my training master and when I went through the Initiate's Programme, it also had a little bit of meditation study. Although some people do meditate every day, it's up to the individual to decide what is a good schedule for them to follow. Quote: During your week, how often do you do things that pertain to your religion? Every day. I feel it is important to pay respects to the spirits around me. I can't say I do it EVERY MOMENT of every day but I try to remain mindful of them. Quote: Are there any celebrations unique to your religion? If so, what is it and what do you do for it? How often? Nope. That's left up to the individual Quote: Does one gender have a responsibility that the other does not? Nope. Quote: What do you do to become higher ranked? FAQ: Ranking Quote: Do you have a right of passage? Uh, kind of. The ranks I guess. Let me know if you have anymore questions :D
    • 5 rights women have that men don't (Last post by Goken)
    • Quote: The real 5 rights women have that men will never have... 1 - The right to change there mind...OFTEN! Without repercussions! 2 - The right to blame men for everything wrong in the world..including PMS and how her cloths don't fit! 3 - The right to have a man pay for everything and then take him for half his pension in the divorce! 4 - The right to change every word you say in a compliment, to a negative insult! 5 - The right to use sex as a bargaining chip for every imaginable argument. God I Love Women! That's the real kicker, I really do! Hahahaha! Love it. Frequently if I complain about my fiance doing these things one of my friends will just look over at me and say "That is why I'm gay!" And women can express more in one glance than men can in entire novels. The tricky part is that men don't seem to be able to understand any of it. :laugh:
    • Jediism and Psionics (Telekinesis, ESP, Empathy, e... (Last post by GalUnDrux)
    • Namaste Jedi, For many of my years i have been fascinated by the possibility of TK (Tele-Kinesis) and other forms of PK (Psycho-Kinesis) and whilst growing up through my teens and early 20's i would search and search for info related to the development of TK.. amongst other things, i found Qi Gong energy cultivation exercises and a few videos related to whats called a Psi-Wheel but nothing really tangible, until i found this website the other month.. psychicinvestigation.forumotion.com/ I have always had a telepathic connection with my family and close friends and over the last couple of years i have noticed an increase in my creativity and my ability whilst meditation to access what feels like a higher creative zone has really helped understanding the "layout" of the metaphysical universe, specifically how thought works on the higher dimensions, aswel as doing energy cultivation techniques daily, i feel TK is very much within my grasp.. although i have not had any success yet with a Psi-Wheel, i have had some success with sensing the energy of inanimate objects, more so my crystals and my lightsabre :)... So, i highly recommend that forum - even if just for fun! :)
    • Is questioning one's faith inevitable? (Last post by Akkarin)
    • In an episode of House M.D (Season 2 Episode 19 - House vs God) a faith healer comes in and at one point refuses treatment on the basis of his beliefs. House asks Dr Wilson to help and Dr Wilson makes the argument that one of the hall marks of a saint is humility, a saint would have to consider that they could be wrong even if they believed they were right. The faith healer agrees to the treatment.
    • TotJO Programming Thread (Last post by den385)
    • Thank you, Adder! I know the main thing I love in programming: building healthy systems of relationships. But this goes beyond code. Now I got a job of a developer in a sense that there'll be more high-level design issues. I hope to find some aspects that will allow me to use my humanitarian skills more. Pure programming is way too rational for me. I am 50/50 humanitarian/technical and I suffer when the balance is 90% technical as it is in programming. Also, for me it is important not only how to work (Jedi Way) and what to work (career choice, balance between skills), but also where to work (an opportunity to make Jedi Way more substantial in job). I do think it is hard to be satisfied with a job in helping people, in purpose. But purpose is one of aspects of productivity. I do not think we can ignore it - neither as professionals, nor of course as Jedi.
    • Real World Jedi (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • this interview is about 45 - 50 minutes the link says "economic-finance" that's incorrect this interview is about being awesome www.khanacademy.org/economics-finance-do...ats/v/sean-osullivan
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Ratcliffe)
    • I am grateful for today or perhaps more to the point I am grateful that, thanks to the temple, I finally get that all I have is now. The peace that brings me is perhaps the first I have ever know and for that I am not able to language my appreciation.
    • Your meditation routine (Last post by Kitsu Tails)
    • Quote: I'm interested to discover what routines others here have for meditation Step One: Put the Kids to bed Step Two: Plug up the Tub and turn the hot water on to....as hot as possible. Step Three: Go get a towel, candle, book and bottle of water Step Four: Dump a bunch of Bath Salts into tub Step Five: Get in, adding cold water until water is comfortable Step Six: Take off my glasses and sink under the water until ears and eyes are covered (But still able to breathe above the surface Step Seven: breath in deeply Step Eight: Breath out completely Repeat until relaxed and content Step Nine: Read a book and drink the full bottle of water (Completely) Step ten: get out when the water is too cold to be comfortable anymore :laugh:
    • "Soteriology" within the Jedi Path (Last post by J. K. Barger)
    • Well made points gents. I like what you have brought forth. We all seem to be familiar with the idea of a reward for our actions, and how we can be motivated (or not- maybe even downright anti-authoritarian :evil: ) based on a future idea of what is to come. I also like how we've mentioned the contrast between "salvation" in the Abrahamic sense and "enlightenment" in the Dharmic sense. While both share the noble aim of making our immediate lives better, they both have slightly differing orientations- after embodiment and during embodiment. As a Zen practitioner, Death is often employed as the "Great Matter" to teach us how to make the whole of Zen applicable to ourselves now- IMMEDIATELY. Aligning with the Taoist tendencies in Zen, we could almost say (in hindsight it seems), that "we are already enlightened" or that we "are already saved"; but this begs the question, just as Dogen himself asked, "If we are already enlightened/saved, what is the point/purpose of 'practice'"? If we already ARE..., why would we...? (You fill in the blanks according to your preference) Now seeing how the Jedi Path holds both of these as valid soteriological goals (that is, Enlightenment and Salvation), do we use the respective traditional terms of "suffering and enlightenment" / "Sin and Salvation" to expound the Jedi Path, or do we use different language? How do the Jedi in fiction describe their path? What is the Point, the Great Matter of the Jedi/the Force? ----- On a persoanl note, I tend to follow a non-dualist stance. While soteriology looks like it is an introspective method for Dualists, as a non-dualist, I still see its value in a "catch-22" way; that is, both "salvation" and "already saved" are essential unified and that one informs the other. Take Dzogchen teachings for example; it initial teaches you about the innate luminosity of mind (we are already enlightened), but "further training" is used if you miss this fundamental teaching, i.e., the subsequent teachings are more gross, tangible, and 'further' from the truth, but nonetheless ARE the truth and it's path. This method of training recognizes the limits of soteriology and its methods while simultaneously valuing its contributions as a necessary part of the Path. As a Jedi, I think this helps us identify what we are working "towards" in our tradition as a whole Order and as individuals working out our own paths. I think if we can answer this in distinctly "Jedi terms" (whatever those come to be or are), we have the nuts and bolts of both Jedi training and the clerical imperative- both of which are closely related. MTFBWY

There are 198 visitors, 9 guests and 29 members online (3  in chat): Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Shadouness, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, Connor L., Desolous, Burn_Phoenix, Proteus, Luthien, V-Tog, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Boesen, Elemental Harmony, Llama Su, Vesha, Kamizu, elizabeth, Edan, Silvermane, Mathew Erickson, Cabur Senaar, Goken, GalUnDrux, Rocda, den385, Tk768, OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo, smirq, Atticus509, nelonadam, GreySong.

Follow Us