light sabers and martale arts

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

light sabers and martale arts 03 Mar 2011 19:51 #37013

in my room i have quite the lightsbaer collection as i use that term looseley for they are on toys and one prop replica. i also own one sword but i want to know if their is anyone in ontario canada u can tell me were their might be a kendo school. so that i can get more in touch with that part of my self. i will be buying my own kendo stick soon its just the armour is going take me some time to find. and as for the opened hand im loking at takeing kung fu as my opend hand martial arts.

Re:light sabers and martale arts 08 Mar 2011 06:46 #37107

Just for information ;)

In Kendo there are no sticks, if you take up the art you will be using Bamboo Shinai With a Tsuba or a Bokken you may also need a Keokogi and Hakama .

Also if you are going to be practicing Kendo why not look into a Japanese open handed Martial Art i.e. Tai Jutsu as you may find it will go hand in hand with your Kendo.

I wish you luck in your training and hope you find a Sensei that will guide you on your pathway.

MTFBWY

Re:light sabers and martale arts 09 Mar 2011 07:59 #37137

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Some may fit better, than others... I would follow Keith's advice... I have limited knowledge in other styles... I am just a TKD practioner....

Investigate all you can before making a decision...

Good Luck ...
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

"My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions." ~Dr. Alfred Lanning (I, Robot)

"Wherever this leads, I DO like the idea of semi-nomadic symbolism. In truth, it speaks more from the heart of our decentralized culture.
We have no Pontiff, we have no Prophet...we have a loose confederation of independent people who agree upon fundamental symbols that we interpret in our own way according to our philosophy and spirituality.
Moreover, that is not a weakness - it remains our singular strength." ~Reacher~

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 01:17 #37628

Well spaceace, i dont know of any schools in ontario but i happen to live in alberta and have 11 years experiance in various hand weaopons such as swords but more in staffs. Perhaps in the summer i can visit or we can just set up webcam?

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 02:01 #37630

Greetings Each

Well Keith Renshi is my Master as such but not here..and I am confused..all the time lol.

Totally agree with Keith Renshi and Master Jester. All I would add is, Please try to find a club that has traditional ethics and etiquette.

Yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike
Yours in the Spirit of Budo

Mike

I am everything, nothing and all that is in between, I am, KI :)

Re:light sabers and martale arts 30 Mar 2011 04:18 #37719

Jestor wrote:
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Master Jester,

Thank you for your kind and respectful words.

You have my full respect as a Master and Martial Artist.

I look forward to talking with you again soon .

MTFBWY
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Are Jedi Against Deception (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • no one is expected to go in to the entire inventory of personal imperfections on the first date but, lets put it like this: you should be able to and willing to if thats where the conversation goes the "best behavior" theory taken to the point that the word "deception" even enters the mind as an appropriate descriptive is imo somewhere between "afraid" and "manipulative" the worst possible thing in the world that you can do is hide your flaws when youre looking for a long term relationship the idea that if someone gets to know "the good you" then they will be willing to accept the "bad" you is NOT FUNCTIONAL im not saying to broadcast all the negative ideas you have about yourself and make it the center of attention right off the bat what im saying is that as the relationship develops - at every step - its important to be clear about whats going on stumbling into it haphazardly because you dont feel comfortable or confident to be deliberate almost always gets people in over their heads the "what is the nature of our relationship and what are our requirements of each other" talk is pretty important and imo there is no point in any romantic relationship where any kind of DECEPTION is appropriate at all if that deception involves future behavior and obligation/expectation the last is nonya but whatever will affect the future it is your obligation to be forthright if you want things to be healthy imo tricking someone in to liking you will backfire, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A MAN TRICKING A WOMAN lol its true her mother and all of her friends will say "yeah but you didnt know he kicks puppies" AND SHE WILL LISTEN TO THEM AS SOON AS SHE GETS TIRED OF YOUR PUPPY KICKING and it will be totally justifiable becsuse she DIDNT know that you kick puppies obviously theres never any need to explain something that just isnt relevant to the situation but as soon as it is clear that someone is looking at long term potential - THAT IS THE TIME to have "the talk" about who we are and what we want, and what we are in for with each other there is no point in avoiding that conversation; a deal breaker is a deal breaker no matter when it gets addressed shes not going to really really like you enough to just get over/look past something that she just isnt going to accept in a relationship not for long - she might hold on to the idea that youll change imo, its better to be clear that this is what you have to offer, and this is what you expect you will be doing with your life for the conceivable future, this is what youre looking for in a partner, and thats all kind of a take it or leave it situation for everyone really, no one changes very much for anyone else it sort of happens sometimes in a way but basically if you liked to kick puppies before you met her, then youre still going to kick puppies once youre together and unless you are planning to change that aspect of your behavior regardless of her, as a personal goal that has nothing to do with anyone but you and god and the kennel, then youre better off letting her know pretty early thats one of those things her friends and family will say "but you didnt know" and theyll be right so again, its best to get the "i kick puppies" conversation out of the way sooner than later because, its something thats either ok or not ok, and isnt going to change just because you hook up so if youre up font about your puppy habbit from the begining then at least the other person wont be able to say you didnt warn them thats my opinion anyway
    • Where does our talents come from? (Last post by Xhaiden)
    • I wasn't specifically relating it to natural talent, mainly stating that some were autistic which brings in other factors but I have met some that were not. I absolutely agree there is a difference between a talent and a skill but I do believe that natural talent exists. I was only addressing the question of natural talent. Combine natural talent with the time put in on the skill and that is when you get some amazing results. I still see a difference, my area is music so I speak to that mainly, but someone that is born with natural talent and then works hard at it is in another league from those that just work very hard at that skill. I am a very good trumpet player because I have worked hard at it but I know a few professionals that pretty much picked up the trumpet and had that natural talent and worked on developing that talent as much as I did, blow me out of the water..lol. I definitely agree with the difference between natural talent and skill but combine them together and you will get someone that will be at the forefront. Basically I am coming back to as there is a such thing as natural talent but as you said it will only get you so far with no additional work. I know I'm repeating myself a bit, will come back to this tomorrow after a nights rest..lol.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by LTK)
    • Today was my day off so I took a walk in a park near my house. No music except the birds and ducks. :)
    • Weevils (Last post by Kamizu)
    • Lol that was the first thing I thought of when I saw your title haha
    • Personality and its Transformations (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • he mentions this thing in one of the previous videos and i had not heard of it The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is an agency of the U.S. Department of Defense responsible for the development of emerging technologies for use by the military. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Proteus)
    • I'm grateful for the people who not only tell me but show me what i mean to them by their presence in my life day to day, and for the courage they show of opening up to me and allowing me to open up to them, regardless of what may or may not come from it. It's a personal adventure that I feel is crucial to our journeys, and it gives each other all the more meaning when we take that leap and allow it to happen for us to grow.
    • Vegetarianism (Last post by Mareeka)
    • The soy granules I use are TVP (textured vegetable protein) which is purchased from health food stores. Mostly I use them for chile. Meat eaters have been amazed there was not meat. Since I do not digest nuts well, I get them in the diet in 2 ways: 1) grind them in a coffee type grinder which is reserved for nuts and mild herbs and spices. These I put direct in salads or make dressing with. Mostly, I use almond and walnut and sunflower seeds and flax. I keep the quantities small and sometimes I mix 2 together. 2) I soak them over night or half the day. I drain them. Sometimes I let them dry on a paper towel and eat them like that. The soaking removes a lot of flavor but not nutrients. Sometimes I put them in a smoothie. With small quantities the flavor is not discernable. The following link appears as vegan on the front page but that is not the draw for me.. What I like about it is: It has a very large data-base. Many of the recipes are created by the users and the quantities are small. Not much is lost if I try something new and I do not like it. It has a search engine that works. So, when I get tired of my X many recipes for a particular veggie . . I often go here. www.vegwweb.com
    • A Daily Practice for Somewhat Spiritual Noobs... (Last post by Streen)
    • Meditation is a great place to start, but keep in mind that meditation can take on many forms. Even ordinary activities can be meditative. For example, washing dishes, going for a walk, folding clothes, etc. Nearly anything that is repetitive that causes your mind to wander, for lack of a better word. Keep in mind, there is nothing you have to do or think when meditating in general. There are techniques as others have already posted, but meditation can be as simple as just sitting and letting your mind do whatever it wants to do. You might be surprised what it comes up with when you set it free ;)
    • Live Service - Friday, 1 May 2015 at 17:30 UTC (Last post by V-Tog)
    • Hello everyone :) I will conducting a live service on Friday 1st May at 17:30 UTC. It will be the first service/sermon on the new theme of 'Ego, yet Humility', and will take place in the TOTJO chat-room. To check when this service will be taking place in your timezone, please click here. Looking forward to seeing you there!
    • Nepal (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • My wife has family in Nepal - haven't heard anything from them In he meantime, all we can do is donate, I guess :-( secure2.oxfamamerica.org/page/content/nepal_earthquake/
    • The Reiki Thread :-) (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: Quote: Start low, end high. I tend to breath in through nose only when their is obvious particulate or its really cold, otherwise I get better flow in through the mouth and adequate filtration through the moisture in the mouth, and out through the nose to retain moisture. Switch them both around in different configs depending on circumstance. Is it releted to Reiki? the original intent of the question was specifically during a reiki treatment but since its been asked i guess any good suggestions on breathwork are beneficial in general also id like to be clear with the responses so far - when people say "start low" are you meaning "belly breathin/use your diaphram" low or "draw from the center of the earth low"? that may seem like a silly question i have had great resluts from using the feeling that my feet and legs draw in from the earth with every inhalation similar to how a plant might draw water into itself from the ground and generally, i feellike i project outwards better either when i hold my breath or on exhalation I cannot speak for Khaos who used the same wording (prior to me), but I was just referring to normal breathing and so only meant diaphragm, draw into the belly sort of thing. I've always just used CV-6 气海 as a cauldron of energy to punctuate with breath... like a wind blowing into a room and mixing with a stream of incense to fill the space with smoke. I don't do Reiki so I cannot comment beyond that, but I do do various breathing exercises from the Doctrine/Yoga of Inner Heat, Tummo, Kundalini, whatever you'd like to call it!
    • Interactive Art (Last post by Edan)
    • Saw this today on Reddit, love it (Definitely check out the Scream) fff.cmiscm.com/#!/main

There are 651 visitors, 7 guests and 34 members online (none in chat): Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, baru, Jestor, Nakis, Adder, Darren, Burn_Phoenix, Proteus, V-Tog, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Vusuki, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, SilverWolf, Pyrus Erath, Venator Mortis, Mathew Erickson, KalSterner, Matsukaze, Rocda, Tk768, Hitira38, Loudzoo, Atticus509, Krieger, Sonny, Patsfreak101, PaintedWarrior, Lestaut, Craden, Magolthalion, CarrotKing666911.

Follow Us