light sabers and martale arts

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

light sabers and martale arts 03 Mar 2011 19:51 #37013

in my room i have quite the lightsbaer collection as i use that term looseley for they are on toys and one prop replica. i also own one sword but i want to know if their is anyone in ontario canada u can tell me were their might be a kendo school. so that i can get more in touch with that part of my self. i will be buying my own kendo stick soon its just the armour is going take me some time to find. and as for the opened hand im loking at takeing kung fu as my opend hand martial arts.

Re:light sabers and martale arts 08 Mar 2011 06:46 #37107

Just for information ;)

In Kendo there are no sticks, if you take up the art you will be using Bamboo Shinai With a Tsuba or a Bokken you may also need a Keokogi and Hakama .

Also if you are going to be practicing Kendo why not look into a Japanese open handed Martial Art i.e. Tai Jutsu as you may find it will go hand in hand with your Kendo.

I wish you luck in your training and hope you find a Sensei that will guide you on your pathway.

MTFBWY

Re:light sabers and martale arts 09 Mar 2011 07:59 #37137

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Some may fit better, than others... I would follow Keith's advice... I have limited knowledge in other styles... I am just a TKD practioner....

Investigate all you can before making a decision...

Good Luck ...
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan

"If you think it is important to know about yourself only because I or someone else has told you it is important, then I am afraid all communication between us comes to an end. But if we agree that it is vital that we understand ourselves completely, then you and I have quite a different relationship, then we can explore together with a happy, careful and intelligent enquiry.

I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 01:17 #37628

Well spaceace, i dont know of any schools in ontario but i happen to live in alberta and have 11 years experiance in various hand weaopons such as swords but more in staffs. Perhaps in the summer i can visit or we can just set up webcam?

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 02:01 #37630

Greetings Each

Well Keith Renshi is my Master as such but not here..and I am confused..all the time lol.

Totally agree with Keith Renshi and Master Jester. All I would add is, Please try to find a club that has traditional ethics and etiquette.

Yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike
Yours in the Spirit of Budo

Mike

Re:light sabers and martale arts 30 Mar 2011 04:18 #37719

Jestor wrote:
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Master Jester,

Thank you for your kind and respectful words.

You have my full respect as a Master and Martial Artist.

I look forward to talking with you again soon .

MTFBWY
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Buddha and the Cat (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Should things be cursed for their nature? It's all about perspective, right? I mean, Buddha didn't banish the cats. ;) He was dead and gone. It was his misguided students who made the call. Actually just makes me question teachers' opinions.
    • Recurring Dreams (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Quote: My girlfriend often cheats on me in my dreams, but not with the same bloke so it doesnt count :evil: :S And yet if a guy does this in a woman's dream he wakes up to her wrath :ohmy: :whistle:
    • military strain (Last post by ren)
    • Quote: I lost count of how many marriages collapsed while I was in the navy Funny how their recruitment folk will do everything to convince you you can have a very stable family life, yet every guy who's been in the unform more than a year you meet says otherwise... And don't even think about trying your luck with the female officers, commandment wants to keep them for themselves (but BS you that it's a matter of national security and whatnot)....
    • Cultural misappropriation (Last post by ren)
    • Not exactly "cultural misappropriation" (as if culture belongs to anyone lol), but another good example of how people will be offended by anything: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2737867...s-rare-disorder.html
    • Prophetic Dreams (Last post by Koji)
    • Hello fam! I sound just about the same as you I had a time in my life maybe 2 or 3 months where I had a bunch of dreams. Now when something important happens in my life I remember the dream and I know that I am on the right path. Perhaps I should meditate on them to see what it is that I was told. When I was reading the original post by Rickie the grey, I heard, "do not try to control these gifts but let them flow through you" so release control and you will see something amazing. Adder, it is grate that you can totally pic up on the ripples of time, meditate and see what comes to you, bring peace with you always and bliss out, reach out to the ripples and see if that peace doesn't help out. =) forms of peace= happy(ness)= hopeful norm. forms of distress= compressed emotions/energies= need for decompression Answer: identification, interpretation, (solution=action+reaction=outcome) advice, release attachment to outcome with understanding and love.
    • Lucid Dreams (Last post by RyuJin)
    • All my dreams are in color and highly detailed...I have full control, but most of the time I'm a spectator watching myself from a distance (think all the penseive visions in harry potter)...the me that is watching knows it's a dream, the me being watched does not...sometimes the spectator me "possesses" the other me to interact with elements in the dream...
    • What Do We Mean By "Temple"? (Last post by Aqua)
    • The ancient Sumerian word for temple means waiting room (the location where the deity can stay). I personally believe that everything is interconnected, so the deity (the force) sit in us all, cause and effect, to take energy and to give it back. Temple is a place were we can share our energy in a neutral state. We are a whole, use each other's energy, to learn an reach another consciousness phase. I guess this means Temple according to the ancient civilizations.
    • Jedi Prayers / Psalms / Invocations (Last post by Koji)
    • Stepping out into darkness again, an other life an other mission soon to end, ever unsure but always hopeful, for The Lord of all is near. Inside every heart and soul the beacon on truth shines bright, the time is now to not say "you need to know The Lord!" for we are already in his sight. Know him as you will for It is not by good works nor by money in which we are freed, but in our connection to freedom its self, allowing us to be righteous and Holy, set apart for God. ~Jedi Koji
    • Unquestioned belief (Last post by Acheron)
    • Quote: When I say, unshakable, I mean that despite logic and evidence, I've not yet found a way to let go of the belief. And "unquestioned", I mean continuing to think that the things we believe are somehow external and true. Never exploring "why" we have that belief. Or building on it. Some people discover something that suits them and then never grow from there. Getting stuck in it and never evolving. Which is just as bad in my opinion. To “believe” implies uncertainty. To let go of the belief you must learn to let go of the doubt which surrounds that belief. When logic and evidence are strong enough the doubt becomes transparent. Perhaps your search for evidence hasn’t reached its conclusion just yet…? Look through the doubt… An Unquestioned belief isn’t without its dangers. But at times can provide more comfort than reasonable facts. We would be mindful to remember that even the truth can be seen a lie for the hearts and minds malcontent to embrace it.
    • 'Spencer' books by Robert B Parker (Last post by Goken)
    • Has anybody here read these? I'm going through them for the second time (which takes a while, there are over 30) and it occurs to me just how much like a Jedi I think the main character is. Not in every way, but he does represent a lot of the same ideals. Also they are fantastic reads whether it relates to Jediism or not.
    • Is Consciousness A State Of Matter, Like a Solid, ... (Last post by Targeran Arynal)
    • Quote: Since this isn't a study I shouldn't really count that. But I might as well, considering what it says. You might want to read it, too, it is reasonably informative. Busted! I did only skim it to make sure there were reasonably thought out approaches to the principles I referenced in my earlier post. It definitely seemed like it would cover many of the overarching principles of the subject. Quote: Either way, falsifiability is not a matter of our current understanding or technology. Is a display of capacity for a choice a requirement to identify a conscious being? Well, I don't know about that. I mean, if we're working with conceivable hypotheticals as far as deciding what is falsifiable or not than I would say that we can conceive of a means to instantaneously measure all the way to the ends of the universe. I mean, I can conceive the idea of it, anyway. (Edit: There have been experiments and studies taking different approaches to trying to falsify consciousness as a field. I will refer you to one Cambridge scientist in particular: www.sheldrake.org/. Keep in mind that Dr Sheldrake, while he is a very accomplished developmental biologist, posits theories that are very much outside of current popular mainstream science; then again, so have many of our greatest scientists in the past been considered such in their own day.) I think this would bring us back to the question of giving a more concrete definition of what consciousness is, or what reference we think the word 'consciousness' points to. And I am feeling more and more as this conversation goes on that it would behoove me greatly to spend time pondering the notion whether an answer would ever come or not. I've not considered if choice is a requirement for identifying a conscious being, it is a very interesting notion. I would however say by way of the other side of that coin that where choice is observed it is indicative of the presence of consciousness.
    • Art as Meditation? (Last post by Streen)
    • Very cool, Jamie :). Yes, it is safe to say that that is meditation. It doesn't have to be about sitting still, breathing a particular way, or emptying your mind. In a sense, in your drawing, you are doing all of that anyway, just not consciously. I'm a landscape painter, and I can definitely confirm that it has the same effect as "ordinary" meditation. It could be anything. Art, music, exercise, washing dishes, etc. Whatever focuses your mind. Chinese calligraphy was considered a form of meditation because it took time to create the ink. You had to rub a block in water a certain number of times, and this act would create the meditative state that was necessary for good calligraphy.

There are 128 visitors, 8 guests and 26 members online (one is in chat): Br. John, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Shadouness, RyuJin, Jestor, Connor L., Adder, Psyddhattha, Proteus, MJ Hannigan, PatrickB, Whyte Horse, Gallileo Oortael, Buvan, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Cyrith, AnelIII, tzb, Senan, jasonwilkins, jadedbehan, Trice Corbel, Jamie Stick, Knigma, SeventhSL, Chadius4, Targeran Arynal, Lars, Acheron, Ilyowh Eclipseblast.

Follow Us