light sabers and martale arts

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

light sabers and martale arts 03 Mar 2011 19:51 #37013

in my room i have quite the lightsbaer collection as i use that term looseley for they are on toys and one prop replica. i also own one sword but i want to know if their is anyone in ontario canada u can tell me were their might be a kendo school. so that i can get more in touch with that part of my self. i will be buying my own kendo stick soon its just the armour is going take me some time to find. and as for the opened hand im loking at takeing kung fu as my opend hand martial arts.

Re:light sabers and martale arts 08 Mar 2011 06:46 #37107

Just for information ;)

In Kendo there are no sticks, if you take up the art you will be using Bamboo Shinai With a Tsuba or a Bokken you may also need a Keokogi and Hakama .

Also if you are going to be practicing Kendo why not look into a Japanese open handed Martial Art i.e. Tai Jutsu as you may find it will go hand in hand with your Kendo.

I wish you luck in your training and hope you find a Sensei that will guide you on your pathway.

MTFBWY

Re:light sabers and martale arts 09 Mar 2011 07:59 #37137

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Some may fit better, than others... I would follow Keith's advice... I have limited knowledge in other styles... I am just a TKD practioner....

Investigate all you can before making a decision...

Good Luck ...
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan

"Together, the teacher, and the taught, make the lesson." -- Eckart Tolle

Dan: "I have enough teachers."
Socrates: "Oh do you now? Whether you have a proper teacher or not, depends on what you want to learn."

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 01:17 #37628

Well spaceace, i dont know of any schools in ontario but i happen to live in alberta and have 11 years experiance in various hand weaopons such as swords but more in staffs. Perhaps in the summer i can visit or we can just set up webcam?

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 02:01 #37630

Greetings Each

Well Keith Renshi is my Master as such but not here..and I am confused..all the time lol.

Totally agree with Keith Renshi and Master Jester. All I would add is, Please try to find a club that has traditional ethics and etiquette.

Yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike
Yours in the Spirit of Budo

Mike

Re:light sabers and martale arts 30 Mar 2011 04:18 #37719

Jestor wrote:
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Master Jester,

Thank you for your kind and respectful words.

You have my full respect as a Master and Martial Artist.

I look forward to talking with you again soon .

MTFBWY
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • invitation to totjo (Last post by MJ Hannigan)
    • Quote: Why the Knighting procedures in particular? Is it in response to the discussion on Knighting in your show on the 16th? Personally last i knew totjo knighting was pretty soft however that wass 2 years ago. In any event it is for the listeners so they will habe a idea of totjo program before they sign up.
    • What are your opinions about euthanasia? (Last post by Streen)
    • I used to have a very specific belief on this, that euthanasia is completely ethical. While I think a person ending their life to be rid of the physical pain is okay, we're treading on the land of suicide. I have personal experience in this. I tried committing suicide twice in my life. And I am SO glad I survived. Yes, I've suffered a great deal of physical and emotion pain in the past decade, but all of that has made me stronger. In other words, there was a time that I didn't think I would have any relief, and then my "destiny" changed. You have to ask yourself though, why do we experience pain? There has to be a reason, right? Everything happens for a reason, after all. Nothing is a mistake or coincidence. What I'm getting at is that, depending on your beliefs, suicide/euthanasia is not an escape. You might be reincarnated to experience that pain again, so that you learn from it, as you were destined to do. Or in your despair and death, you end up continuing the experience in the afterlife. The thing is no one knows what lies "on the other side". Tread carefully.
    • Words Mean Things. (Last post by Jestor)
    • Quote: In type, you should strive to be more clear, if anything, as there is not context of voice inflection, body language, etc. In type, it much more easy to misunderstand something, hence, to be as clear as possible and non subjective with your words will open more doors then close them. Of course... But if I think I'm clear, and as clear as I can be, and still not getting through, it can't be helped... And, an individual should realize that not everyone is going to understand what someone else is saying so further questioning should be done...:) Quote: It goes against the argument of subjectivity really. Such as this... Would you explain? This is just another point where people get separated... The "prickly" people, and the "goo" people.... :lol:....
    • Cognitive Dissonance - Your Thoughts (Last post by SeventhSL)
    • Thanks for the input guys. Thought that fox had those grapes with the stone idea. So so close. :) Ok so a little more information. I first stumbled over my own cognitive dissonance when my partner pointed out what a bad memory I had. Of course I didn't believe a word at the time but a week later I found myself to be in complete agreement and somewhat staggered at how I hadn't noticed this before. When I retraced how I'd come to this place it turns out I'd been pretty active with self justification and ignoring conflicting information. Though the passage of time I found that my capacity for self deceit (didn't have the term cognitive dissonance at that stage) went from mildly amusing to somewhat terrifying. When I started to see this in others it just became very sad. After all like Senan says it is responsible for starting wars. So fast forward to today and I have developed a couple of personal strategies to help at least limit it. I'm not pretending these are anywhere near 100% effective but they have certainly lead to some amazing results. My most recent success was helping to bring some peace to the lives of a couple of children going through a really messy divorce. To cut a long story short it helped clear my own emotion, understand both parties and in this case turn one parties strong cognitive dissonance against them. Two years of court rooms turned into an out of court settlement but most importantly two much happier and stable children now they had parents with a working relationship as far as sharing custody was concerned. Please don't miss understand me. I have no desire to tinker with other people's lives especially given I have enough trouble controlling my own. Sadly at this junction my motives are very self centred. I'm more than willing to share my strategies if people are interested but I'm really hoping to hear other people stories and experience so that I can learn from them.
    • Still Around (Last post by Brenna)
    • It was really nice to see you Scott. Its been a while :)
    • Another XKCD- Answers (Last post by Vusuki)
    • Not sure where to put this- so thought I'd just add it here. Just a bit of a fun poke at star wars www.xkcd.com/1397/ Don't turn it on.
    • Unacceptable Casualties of War (Last post by Deepseablue)
    • Quote: Czech Airlines were not flying from Seoul to Prague above Ukraine. Only above Russia. We have arrived safely in Prague. Good for you! I wouldn't have wanted to be anyone anywhere near Ukraine in the days after the "crash."
    • Well, I thought I would make a few suggestions... (Last post by Proteus)
    • The shoutbox was a 3rd party code which ren was managing when he was admin but took it down after the site's update due to some kind of compatibility or functional issues and never finished fixing it back up. Whatever its condition was when he left, I forgot, but I can check and see if there's anything we can do about it.
    • Thoughts of a simple man (Last post by Arcade)
    • Thanks for sharing, Mike. It's a beautiful piece. One of my favorite albums, by a band called 'In the Nursery', includes a song that incorporates snippets of this poem. [video] The album's closing track contains an exquisitely narrated version of the entire poem without music (hidden after a period of silence), but I was unable to find a clip of that online.
    • Rape Culture (Last post by Zanthan Storm)
    • There are so many ways to reply to this. Often times... rape culture is restricted. Studies are altered to serve one group or another... This stuff really.. comes down to ... BE A DECENT HUMAN BEING. Women don't force stuff on men (sexual or otherwise) Men don't force stuff on women (sexual or otherwise) BE respectful No means no. People who have been raped... That sucks. I see it on a weekly basis... They need help and protection. People who'cry wolf' they are doing as much harm, because then those who it actually happens to... well their voice is lessened. People who do this.. should be charged with false claims and it should be a high punishment. As to who or why... To be honest... I don't care outside of that they get caught. Again, studies to prove anything here. However, it should be treated as any crime. Innocent til proven guilty and the person to claims rape should be safe. Simple. No political aims... nothing else. This culture... should not exist. Period.
    • Jedi Lightsaber (Last post by Phortis Nespin)
    • I built this last year. Plumbing parts, fire department ladder rung, parts from Custom Saber Shop, and other stuff. [attachment] [attachment]

There are 463 visitors, 7 guests and 23 members online (none are in chat): Octagon, Jestor, jedi_roz, Nakis, Wescli Wardest, Trose , Psyddhattha, Proteus, Luthien, Alexandre Orion, MJ Hannigan, Rosalyn J, Alan, philtwiggraham, Arcade, Buvan, Llama Su, Cyrith, Edan, SilverWolf, tzb, Zenchi, Jamie Stick, Jerseyjedi, Cristris_Jons, SeventhSL, TambelSadera, JosephGenesius.

Follow Us