light sabers and martale arts

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

light sabers and martale arts 03 Mar 2011 19:51 #37013

in my room i have quite the lightsbaer collection as i use that term looseley for they are on toys and one prop replica. i also own one sword but i want to know if their is anyone in ontario canada u can tell me were their might be a kendo school. so that i can get more in touch with that part of my self. i will be buying my own kendo stick soon its just the armour is going take me some time to find. and as for the opened hand im loking at takeing kung fu as my opend hand martial arts.

Re:light sabers and martale arts 08 Mar 2011 06:46 #37107

Just for information ;)

In Kendo there are no sticks, if you take up the art you will be using Bamboo Shinai With a Tsuba or a Bokken you may also need a Keokogi and Hakama .

Also if you are going to be practicing Kendo why not look into a Japanese open handed Martial Art i.e. Tai Jutsu as you may find it will go hand in hand with your Kendo.

I wish you luck in your training and hope you find a Sensei that will guide you on your pathway.

MTFBWY

Re:light sabers and martale arts 09 Mar 2011 07:59 #37137

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Some may fit better, than others... I would follow Keith's advice... I have limited knowledge in other styles... I am just a TKD practioner....

Investigate all you can before making a decision...

Good Luck ...
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 01:17 #37628

Well spaceace, i dont know of any schools in ontario but i happen to live in alberta and have 11 years experiance in various hand weaopons such as swords but more in staffs. Perhaps in the summer i can visit or we can just set up webcam?

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 02:01 #37630

Greetings Each

Well Keith Renshi is my Master as such but not here..and I am confused..all the time lol.

Totally agree with Keith Renshi and Master Jester. All I would add is, Please try to find a club that has traditional ethics and etiquette.

Yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike
Yours in the Spirit of Budo

Mike

Re:light sabers and martale arts 30 Mar 2011 04:18 #37719

Jestor wrote:
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Master Jester,

Thank you for your kind and respectful words.

You have my full respect as a Master and Martial Artist.

I look forward to talking with you again soon .

MTFBWY
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • My vision of an atomized Jedi community (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: The community has tried over and over again to unite under a single banner. In general, arrogance has been blamed for our failure to do that. This master doesn't want to give up a title, etc. The more I think of it, I don't know that this was a failure after all. Was arrogance involved? Perhaps. We're human. But maybe our diversity was worth protecting as well. I have no desire to see uniformity in our community. I celebrate our diversity. I want us to embrace it. One banner will not cover us all. Maybe that is best. Are you asking for a single banner? Or are you asking to allow yourself to know other banners? If the temple have tried it over and over again, there must be something that went different than expected? If masters want to hold there title, let them have their title. If people wish to stay in one order, let them be in one order. If you go to church, every Catholic church is different? But all connected to one group like feeling. I do not say that is must be like a Catholic ruling system but Celebrate our diversity can be by connecting multiple ways of seeing. And love being all different. Being human, every human is unique, but we are all human right? One banner? Ore multiple banners? A group has different members.
    • My vision for a United Jedi Order (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: Aqua that is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read..I wish to make it my signature if I may..Also how do I do that lol.. Feel free to do if you would like it. You can change your signature with the profile button in the left corner of your screen. :) [Profile] <--[Edit Profile] <----[Signature] <----[Save]
    • How can we be taken seriously? (Last post by tzb)
    • Quote: I'm sorry. My post did not specifically say what I intended. If it could not be called Jediism, or anything with the word Jedi or Force, what would it be called? Or, without using the word Jediism, Jedi or Force tell me what it is. I would go for Universalism if it didn't already have another religious connotation. I've wanted a name for it which isn't Jediism since I arrived to be honest (to avoid the aforementioned roleplay connotations), but it's really hard to come up with anything meaningful which sounds any good. As time goes on, Jediism sounds better and wipes out that preconception of crazy people waving around Toys R Us sabers. I'm not sure if you need to avoid the word Force as such as in my experience most people are less dismissive in a belief in the Force than a belief one is Jedi (or, heaven forbid, a Jedi Knight). Many people have a vague notion the Force is a concept which originates from Eastern religion (I've heard "Buddhism or something like that" a few times), which in some ways it is. So a few ideas which appeal to my personal conception of the Force. I'm putting "ism" but it could be "i", it could be anything which sounds good quite simply. And no, I don't expect anyone but me to like these :D Forcism/Forceism? I'm not convinced but it gets hold of the core factor of all Jedi belief. You could focus on the origins of the energetic properties of the Force and go with something like... Pranaism? Qiism/Chiism? Or go with something a bit more syntheistic and adopt a more traditional term for a belief the interconnectedness of things.. Tattvaism? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achintya_Bheda_Abheda Indraism? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indra's_net Heroic Taoism? (Inspired by this guy, who describes himself as a Wayward Taoist: www.amazon.co.uk/Barefoot-Doctors-Handbo...ritual/dp/0749919817 - although I don't seriously advocate us going around calling ourselves heroic anythings...) As to a definition... "All things are one, therefore our role is to increase harmony" is for me the core belief from which the rest naturally follows. Anyway, interesting to consider but I'm not sure the benefit of getting away from the roleplay connotation outweighs the number of people and amount of interest the term Jedi brings in... if people arrive via Star Wars and then stay because they see that what we have here is something more than that, the name has served us well.
    • jedi haiku (Last post by elizabeth)
    • Moon shadow falling Darkness creeps across the land icy winds warm my heart
    • Coffee with Jesus (Last post by MJ Hannigan)
    • Quote: I guess it's great that you don't employ arbitrary special pleading. So how do you respond then to the criticism that your illustration, of what a Sithistic religion is, does not discriminate by any variable criterion and is therefore either obsolete, since we have more widely understood and more linguistically fitting labels, or, in the worst case, ill-defined? 1. Normally over the net it is in text, or perhaps a vid, in person it is normal verbally with nonverbal cues. 2. Yes 3. maybe 4. no
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Day 3 checking in... yoga only today for 40 minutes concentrating on hamstrings.. no music today.
    • Just a view of my appartement building (Last post by Kamizu)
    • Quote: If you guys want mountains come to Utah. :D We have a few of those... Utah is BEAUTIFUL! I LOVE the red deserts!! Such great camping <3 road our bikes through there a few times. The most memorable time was when we were on a two-lane highway construction reduced to one. We sat for about an hour so I hopped off the bike and played in the sand. Then played with the kid in the van in front of us :woohoo:
    • Tapatalk (Last post by ren)
    • Quote: I use "dark theme" because the darker you can keep a screen, the less battery used...:) Note: this is only true for OLED/AMOLED
    • Real Jedi vs Fictional Jedi (Last post by Brenna)
    • Quote: I do not care what thousands of people consider themselves to be. I do know what those who truly are jedi strive to be. Naturally.

There are 180 visitors, 5 guests and 22 members online (one is in chat): Br. John, Zanthan Storm, Shadouness, Jestor, Adder, Darren, Proteus, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, scott777ab, Arcade, Brenna, Llama Su, Kamizu, mdk, Edan, tzb, Pyrus Erath, benedictveritas, jadedbehan, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Aqua, Revan Falton, Danimal, Phillious.

Follow Us