Topic started 08 Feb 2016 22:15 by Edan
32 Replies 384 Views
emo
Category: Jediism
Topic started 10 Feb 2016 07:38 by Tellahane
4 Replies 65 Views
263 Topics
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Help Science with your computer! (Last post by Squint)
    • Hi, I'm Squint and I wanted to tell you about a cool organization that uses cloud computing to crunch data on any number of various academic research from finding the largest Prime numbers to discovering messages from alien lifeforms. The University of California - Berkeley runs BOINC, an open source software for volunteer computing. (boinc.berkeley.edu/) Scientists and educators can submit peer reviewed projects which are added to the BOINC network to allow tasks to run on volunteers computers. It is an incredibly safe piece of software that runs on just about any modern computer. If you don't feel safe about installing it or want more information, I will provide whatever I can. The current statistics from the BOINC page are: Active: 295,796 volunteers, 9,341,095 computers. 24-hour average: 8.198 PetaFLOPS. The project I am currently participating in is called PrimeGrid, it is used to compute and discover large prime numbers. Prime numbers are any number that can only be divided by one and itself. These are used heavily in encryption and for other computational purposes. If you're interested in participating in this project you need only go to www.PrimeGrid.com Also, I created a group for anyone who wishes to participate in the PrimeGrid project, www.primegrid.com/team_display.php?teamid=8032 Basically a group just sets an affiliation so they can see the efforts a group of people have committed to. There are groups for most major universities all the way to non-profit and religious groups like our own. If you have any questions or comments please ask.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Avalonslight)
    • There are days when I just want to take people by the shoulders and shake 'em and say, "Come on, you're better than this!" Enough with all the "holier-than-thou" and "better-than-thou" - ness. . . . Seriously. :angry: And on another, yet related, note: What's with all the super high strung tensions? Is there something in the water or something? Geeze... :huh: :dry:
    • Robes and Sabers (Last post by Adder)
    • The robe for me has no import into my life, I don't have one, but as a concept to me does represents a few things. The limitations of objective reality hanging over a proverbial open sky of limitless experience in subjective reality, which translates to awake awareness compared to dreaming awareness, and connects to my interest in spirituality by associating to non-dualism. So the hood represents the closing of the physical eyes to let the third eye open, sort of thing... but it's just symbolic and therefore not something I need to own, or wear. Suitable for ceremonial purposes though as a uniform if we ever needed to represent unity in a physical location, but its shared with a few other religious traditions, and I do share many of their reasons too, eg ascetic ideal. But yea, just a symbol for me, nothing more, to reflect upon the fleeting nature of life and how we are all full of hot air :pinch: The saber does have import for me, as a tool in lucid dreaming it benefits from a presence in the awake awareness to facilitate it's accessibility and utility in the dreaming awareness. So I have a custom hilt project, a Maul double bladed, and a few sticks to throw around. So then, if that can be tied into a capacity for self defense with any stick or staff like object then that is a plus. The fancy stuff like colored blade is just a useful level of functionality, but I don't like the sound effects and disconnected my speakers on my Maul hilts. I have a few other tools for dreaming which I try to shoehorn into some unified construct. If they can be related in some way then they can serve as a more cohesive form of ideal to shape growth and focus, to better contrast against the actual physical reality of life. So it's not a celebration of the movies to use the fiction for me, it's a type of future ideal to work towards as a goal. The only reason it has relevance to 'Jedi' for me is because it is the most suitable and applicable model to use, for me.
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • Jour 41 Je l’aperçut en apparition Au crépuscule, Il me souriait de par-derrière ses blessures, Son innocence indemne Malgré … Malgré … Il nous pilotait souvent. * I saw him as an apparition At sunset, He was smiling at me from behind his injuries, His innocence unscathed Although … Although … He piloted us often. Alexandre Orion 11 février 2016
    • Jedi Self-Sufficiency thread (Last post by Jestor)
    • Its less about living completely "off the grid", than it is about trying to lessen our dependency on the grid... Thus lessoning our carbon footprint.... Also, just having an interest in is reason enough to join, isn't it? :) ~from the Hitchhicker's Guide in my Galaxy S3~
    • How many practice telekinesis? (Last post by Adder)
    • Isn't consensus an agreement, and not a proof? We agree on lots of things all the time, but growth requires pushing past being stagnant and seeking change. Keeping an open mind, using critical thinking to explore, not settle. Ok, I got to your last question also... Quote: So do you think there is a supernatural realm at work and if so how might it function in reality so that reality remains cohesive? Personally, on one hand.... I tend to think the 'Force' should be within the extents of objective reality, but our capacity to relate to it remains yet to be fully discovered, and together with our inability to fully quantify subjective experience, means we are sort of still hanging in the tree's a bit eating banana's. Such that the complexity within our brain's is sufficient to drive a much greater experience of reality then we currently enjoy! How that relates to the objective reality is therefore unknown, but probably quite limited - assuming current interpretations of existence due to the doctrine of scientific method. And on the other hand, while the experience of interacting with our own hidden potentials IMO most usually appears as supernatural, there might be a state of organisation to create 'information' emergent from elementary level of energy, for which is above and beyond what we consider to be 'sentient', and that it exists throughout all space. I don't think it can exert change in the objective space if it exists, but that it can influence other states of 'information' such as what constitutes our self awareness. I think these two things give an order of complexity which accounts for the differences and similarities in historical spirituality, and at the very least gives working space to assess unusual experiences. What it does though is limit supernatural phenomena to observation and prediction outside of known parameters. I don't assert it as truth though, just a working model - which is open to change as required.
    • Looking at the Present Moment as a loved one (Last post by Kyrin Wyldstar)
    • LOL Nice! Actually for me the present moment has always been a thing of great comfort. Especially when I'm worried about something in the future. Whether I'm thinking about a bill that needs to be paid or a public engagement or deadline I need to meet I can always come back to the present moment and take solace in the fact that at least those things I'm worried about are not happening "right now" so there is no need to worry about them until later, and I can relax...

There are 292 visitors, 7 guests and 43 members online (11  in chat): Br. John, steamboat28, Firewolf, Jestor, Trisskar, Opie Macleod, Dechlain, Phortis Nespin, Connor L., Adder, Reliah, Proteus, Rosalyn J, Elemental Harmony, Lykeios, Rickie, Kit, Kohadre, Avalonslight, Namid, Atticus509, Adi, Tellahane, JLSpinner, Ke JinnDakken, Carli, Gwinn, Reserved Sanity, Squint, Amandabonn, Kyrin Wyldstar, Snowy Aftermath, Cenrus Kuno, One Creed, Matt Rox, Riyuma, SamNigma, Rob Bass, FAT, Wyllow, homb-ray, orinox_valdan, Cadeyrn.

Follow Us