The Imperishable Gem

Moderators: Desolous, Reliah

The Imperishable Gem 01 Jan 2012 13:44 #46934

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
The Daily Gem is a quote, thought, or prayer open for submissions by any member of this Temple. If you'd like to submit for the Daily Gem, please send me a PM.

Here we go: May The Force Be With Us and may we come away with greater learning and inspiration...

Moderator Edit: After a certain point in this thread, it was decided that anyone may submit a quote here. Please feel free to join in! :)
Master: Jestor
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shadouness, Llama Su
Last Edit: 16 Mar 2014 21:05 by Proteus.

Daily Gem -- Jan 1st, 2012 01 Jan 2012 13:45 #46935

• LTK
  • Knight
Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

-- Excerpt from "Ring Out, Wild Bells".
-- Alfred, Lord Tennyson
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Llama Su

Daily Gem -- Jan 2nd, 2012 02 Jan 2012 13:45 #47003

• LTK
  • Knight
Today everybody permits himself the expression of his wish and dearest thought; hence I, too, shall say what it is that I wish for myself today, and what was the first thought to run across my heart this year – what thought shall for me be the reason, warranty, and sweetness of my life henceforth. I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things: then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful.

-- Gay Science, 276
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Daily Gem -- Jan 3rd, 2012 03 Jan 2012 13:31 #47055

• LTK
  • Knight
In light of several having lost loved ones of the four-legged type recently, the following is a submission by Jedi robert maccuswell:

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

- Unknown

The following user(s) said Thank You: Viskhard, keeltydawn

Daily Gem -- Jan 4th, 2012 04 Jan 2012 14:08 #47148

• LTK
  • Knight
Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man.

-- Benjamin Franklin

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, TheImpailerXx

Daily Gem -- Jan 5th, 2012 05 Jan 2012 12:49 #47216

• LTK
  • Knight
It is only in appearance that time is a river. It is a vast
landscape and it is the eye of the beholder that moves.

-- Thornton Wilder

The following user(s) said Thank You: Coyote, Viskhard

Daily Gem -- Jan 6th, 2012 06 Jan 2012 12:56 #47277

• LTK
  • Knight
An hour’s contemplation is better than a year’s adoration.

-- Prophet Muhammad

The following user(s) said Thank You: Aceboizor, Archaic Smile, Phil Point

Daily Gem -- Jan 7th, 2012 07 Jan 2012 09:36 #47338

• LTK
  • Knight
The idea of punishing evil presupposes that we know evil when we see it

-- God Wants You Dead, pg 128.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Viskhard, Red Lila, Edan, TheImpailerXx

Daily Gem -- Jan 8th, 2012 08 Jan 2012 11:07 #47391

• LTK
  • Knight
Keep yourself surrounded by people you can't live without, not people you can live with.

-- Unknown

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lycaenion, Adder, Red Lila, Acheron

Daily Gem -- Jan 9th, 2012 09 Jan 2012 11:35 #47432

• LTK
  • Knight
He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty,
And he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.

-- Proverbs 16:32

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Joe, Llama Su
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Is offending a group of people always bad? (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Entropist: you dont make sense when you talk you arent comprehending the ideas that others express to you and you talk down to people constantly generally speaking, youre internet persona is obnoxious that might not be your actual personality, and its possible that you arent doing it deliberately but its the image that you are projecting in every single discussion in which youre participating it would be great if you can participate with us in a way that is positive for all of us (which includes you) but for that to happen, youre going to have to make some adjustments - big ones that process takes time and work, and i know this because i am an obnoxious know-it-all myself, and its taking me a lot of time and work to grow if you can take a dose of humility and recognize the need for that effort, and are willing to commit to doing it, you will find support here you might even build some great relationships but if youre not willing to concede these points, youre experience here - and everywhere else on the internet - is going to be characterized by frustration, argument, and insult because thats all youre bringing to the table
    • Why silence is often the best response to a verbal... (Last post by Entropist)
    • Quote: You do realize that this is not a debate about logical fallacies, right? I have had the experience where silence was the best course of action for that situation. It felt it was the best course of action at the time, and I still think, in hindsight, that it was the best course of action. Now, you, in all your majestic wisdom, may not feel the same, and may have acted differently in my particular situation. But you don't know me, my relative, our family dynamic, or our values. Experience is subjective and cannot be fit into neat little logical boxes, no matter how desperately you want them to. This discussion is about whether silence can be an appropriate tool when faced with verbal aggression. I think it is, and so do many others. You are free to disagree, but that doesn't negate the experiences of everyone else who agrees. Correction has good reason to be noted here that to impose our personal opinion in no way justifies the status quo bias. Opinions are unjustified, and we are only entitled to what we can reason. So when there's unfounded reason in an opinion, the opinion is therefore unreasonable. Furthermore, presuming status quo bias demonstrates circular reasoning fallacy, so yes, logical fallacies are unfortunately common in undermining one's own argument. To prove as an exercise, let the situations where silence does offer the best response speak for itself with reason, rather than presumption or opinion that the title of the thread is guilty of. Let's use specific examples and give reason because there's only merit in reason, and it's productive to brainstorm.
    • Force Realist TV (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • I'll keep a running log of these episodes in case any one is interested. :) I went with "TV" this time around because it's visual.
    • Jediism Day and a Vow of Silence (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • For me, talking is part of my job (I'm a teacher) - and who's going to shout at my kids if not me :-) But I'd still be interesting how things turned out for you? Did you manage to do this the entire day yesterday?
    • Defining Jedi and Sith (Last post by RyuJin)
    • what is a sith? whatever they decide they are... what is a jedi? whatever they decide they are... who are you? whomever you decide you are... who am i? whomever i decide i am... your focus determines your reality...if you believe you need clearly defined parameters to identify the world around you, then only you can clearly define those parameters in a way that you fully understand. most things cannot be clearly defined in a manner that is universally understood....my blue is not the same as everyone else's blue... only in fiction do the sith follow the "rule of two"...in the real world most sith are either fiercely independent, or strong team players...independent ones usually only trust their own abilities to achieve their goals, the team players usually trust that their teammates abilities will aid in achieving their goals... i've been down both paths...both paths can be solitary and internal, both can be communal and external...it is what you make of it, no matter what path you travel...
    • Is belief in democracy required of a Jedi? (RELEVE... (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • In my opinion, the problem with Democracy is that you actually have to believe in it (much like in a deity), rather than being able to actually experience it. Today, Democracy is a theoretical concept, an ideal, perhaps, but I've yet to see it in action. I live in a country that is considered "democratic" - the form of state we have in Switzerland is a "direct democracy". It's "direct" in that the population (actually, only a part of the population - foreign passport-holders aren't allowed to vote, even if they've lived here for 50 years) gets to vote on all kinds of stuff. We have about 4 national votes per year here and a plethora of additional ones on a regional level and on community level. It still doesn't work. self-interest, as Alexandre has mentioned, is what dominates each and every vote. Greed, inequality leads to the result that votes usually don't come out in the best interest of the country, but tend to lean in favour of those who yell the loudest. It's an exercise in frustration. So is it necessary to believe in democracy in order to be a Jedi? I'm not sure. I don't believe in it because I have a hard time believing in things that I know don't work. I don't believe in any kind of government system - none of them really work. "Democratic" countries tend to still offer the best outcome for the population, despite their shortcomings - that is something I believe in.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Snowy Aftermath)
    • Super excited for the constant reminder that no matter how much effort I put in, I will always be an outsider, I have done exactly nothing of worth here, and no matter how much I change people will never give me a chance to be different. All that matters is who I was when I first walked in. YAY! Thanks TotJO!
    • Your Jedi Rituals (Last post by Lleiffermawr)
    • Greetings, As a student of psychology, I understand that many people need ritual to help change their state of consciousness. They may need it to instill a calm and peace that goes deeper than a few breaths and the recitation of the Code. Rituals are as old as time and help not only the individual but the community as a whole. Knowing that there are a few things besides a name and a basic philosophy that holds you together can be very inspiring. Some of the most ancient rituals of course revolve around Rites of Passage, including coming of age. There are sometimes rituals for new beginnings such as Initiations (to start something), or becoming an Elder (whether due to age or due to respect for one's knowledge and wisdom). Sometimes these rituals are to achieve some goal (such as in the case of folk magic or even the rites of the Catholic Church). Rituals can be highly personal, as well as collective. They can help to tap into the Collective Unconsciousness of one's ancestors and even mankind at large. I have a long history in the Current of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, as well as having spent much time working in Wicca and Traditional Witchcraft (Heathenry). I have noticed that the more in depth the ritual, the deeper I go within myself, and I can feel connection with All That Is (the Unifying Living Force) greater than the simple Circle Casting and Invocation I found in my previous Coven. Some people find Rituals to be constricting, and this can indeed happen. While in some ways, I need such, I recognize that this is indeed a crutch, and some day, I will be able to move away from it. I would be very interested in collective based rituals for the Temple of the Jedi Order itself, would help to inspire a sense of community.
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • I'm grateful to the previous gentleman for all of his help :) One day I will have felt like I've said it enough times (or maybe not!).
    • Your Jedi Reading List (Last post by MadHatter)
    • To mark International Jedi Day I am going to post my reading list that I have read or is in my to read queue that I feel has helped or will help me on my path. Please feel free to add your own Hatters Reading List * George Washingtons Rules of Civility and Behavior * Open your mind Open your life (Taro Gold) * Essential Zen ( Kazuaki Tanahashi) * Zen Flesh Zen Bones ( Paul Reps) * The Code of the Samuria (Thomas Cleary) * Zen in the Martial Arts ( Joe Hyams) * Striking Thoughts (Bruce Lee) * The Tao of Jeet Jun Do (Bruce Lee) * The Jedi Compass ( Multiple Authors) * Living the Martial Way (Maj. Forrest E. Morgan) * The Jedi Path ( Chronicle Books) * Zen Mind Beginner's Mind ( Shunryu Suzuki) These are listed in no order other then reading off of my bookshelf. I would love to see your own lists and to share thoughts on the merits of anything listed.
    • International Jedi Day - May 25th! (Last post by Snowy Aftermath)
    • Dagon sent me a message as well: 1) Miss_Leah's idea, only with a more flexible time frame for those who wished to pursue larger projects (or people like me who have to work on the holiday). 2) build a kite from scratch and fly it on the holiday, similar to the tradition in Bermuda of doing the same on Easter Sunday. The idea is that we are all doing it together in widely different areas is very unifying (and in my opinion, the whole point of traditions). I love the kite thing... I might do that too :)
    • Boulimia and sugar (Last post by MartaLina)
    • Quote: ...dont quote me but i think we are the only ones who drink other animals milk. i love yochurt ... s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d1/10/...71548a8d29d8b3db.jpg
    • Jedi wisdom meme (Last post by MadHatter)
    • This is a meme thread dedicated to wisdom on the Jedi Path. It will seem familiar to those that are frequent visitors to the Temple Facebook page. Ill get us going but I hope to see your Jedi memes on this day dedicated to Jediism and the Path we walk here at the Temple. [attachment] [attachment] [attachment]

There are 138 visitors, 14 guests and 26 members online (one in chat): Br. John, Jestor, Adhara, Whyte Horse, Kit, Vincente, Avalonslight, tzb, carlos.martinez3, Cabur Senaar, Aqua, OB1Shinobi, Atticus509, Korvus, Tellahane, Hyrum Tigerprice, Mael, MadHatter, Entropist, Brick, Kyrin Wyldstar, Snowy Aftermath, FAT, Prelalo, jhannuzs, WralaValel, TorchandSword, Miss_Leah, CableSteele, academic_observer, OddityOfFates, Albekl.

Follow Us