Why I didn't like Hamilton

More
3 years 8 months ago #353173 by Rex
Now that everyone in the US is watching it again, I figured now is the time to grab my soapbox.
Hamilton is an attempt to do everything while not really succeeding at anything. The cast is largely POC, but the story neglects all of the actual POC who participated. It goes to lengths quoting actual source material, while completely getting certain aspects wrong (especially the last 15 minutes). And it tries to be both entertaining and heartfelt, but really feels too contrived to be either.

The whole show really just reeks of the historical fiction genre parodied nearly ten years ago by 30 Rock as the Jefferson film (look it up, the resemblance is almost uncanny). It's a neat tool for teaching people a rough start to some of the founding fathers, but completely neglects (like 30's Jefferson) certain details for convenience sake.

The retconning of Hamilton as this uber progressive polymath is the biggest peeve of mine. If I recall correctly, he owned slaves, and really did nothing more than symbolic membership in an abolitionist group. This completely flies in the face of the shows overbearing performative wokeness. That same slacktivism takes priority over actual representation of stories like Crispus Attucs, Sally Hemmings, or Cato; all of whom would've been relevant and easily included.

It never really explains what the federalist and anti-federalist papers argued, instead opting for the whole production to follow the in-show Burr's advice to be insubstantial (which is completely fabricated). It also paints James Madison as a second class lackey, relying on cheap Southern tropes to wink at the audience and give us a quick laugh instead of actually develop a crucial character. Finally, it completely screws up the last 5 years of Hamilton's life in such a blatantly incorrect fashion, that's inexcusable.

Finally, the whole show is (like Tracy Morgan's character in 30 Rock) Lin Manuel Miranda's attempt to do everything. It has the relationship between Hamilton and the Schuyler family counterbalanced with King George making urination puns. However, given that both are completely made up by Miranda, the whole show carries a cloying sort of pandering to it in a way I haven't experienced since Hillary Clinton urging young voters to "Pokemon go to the polls."

The last point is largely my own opinion and a commentary on the cheapening of both entertainment and social discourse, but the first two are factually based points that are overlooked in favor of praising the social capital of the production. If we're in the midst of reevaluating historical figures for their regressive actions, shouldn't we hold our contemporaries to the same standards?

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Brick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #353174 by Rosalyn J
Well...now I won't watch it :P

Are there any redeeming qualities?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

More
3 years 8 months ago #353181 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Why I didn't like Hamilton
I haven't seen Hamilton (and I wouldn't know what was accurate or not, having never studied American history), however the general issues you cite are common with historical media (tv/film/theatre etc.).

The ultimate goal of this media is to entertain and so historical accuracy is often sacrificed. As a result many people are likely walking around with a misunderstanding of times and events they've never studied, because all they know is from the media that they consumed. Some are better than others. A great example of bad history is 'Braveheart', a great example of good history is 'Master and Commander'.

There is a question, do film/tv/theatre producers have an obligation to provide historical accuracy? We know the answer is no, but sometimes I'm uncomfortable with the amount of media put out pretending to be history, especially when I hear schools have shown historical drama films to their students. With productions like Hamilton, it sounds like Lin Manuel Miranda may have done the subject a disservice from your estimation. There's a risk too I think that media brush over difficult topics so that we're not having the kind of conversations we should be having about the history.

Anyone who'd like to see how good some films are should check out the Youtube Channel History Buffs.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
3 years 8 months ago #353191 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Why I didn't like Hamilton
Are there redeeming qualities? Sure, tons of people love it. I'm just not one of them, so my opinion is obviously skewed.

do film/tv/theater producers have an obligation to provide historical accuracy?

Yes, when they advertise it as an accurate biopic (which is true in this case). If it's just another "based on a true story" I couldn't care less.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

More
3 years 8 months ago #353193 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Why I didn't like Hamilton
Am I alone in thinking that the vocals for Hamilton himself were pretty weak in the recording?

More
3 years 8 months ago #353196 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Why I didn't like Hamilton

Rex wrote: Are there redeeming qualities? Sure, tons of people love it. I'm just not one of them, so my opinion is obviously skewed.

do film/tv/theater producers have an obligation to provide historical accuracy?

Yes, when they advertise it as an accurate biopic (which is true in this case). If it's just another "based on a true story" I couldn't care less.

Out of curiosity where is it billed as an accurate biopic? I can't find it said anywhere in the advertising I've seen, or on the Disney+ page.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

More
3 years 8 months ago #353198 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Why I didn't like Hamilton

TheDude wrote: Am I alone in thinking that the vocals for Hamilton himself were pretty weak in the recording?

I made this comment myself.

I first saw it live at The West End and was very impressed by the actor playing Hamilton (I forget his name). Unfortunately, the one on Disney Plus is the original US cast with Lin Manuel Miranda in the title role and whilst the man is a lyrical genius, I don't think he has enough presence or powerful enough voice for the lead in a Broadway/West End production.

I also think his performance in general was weakened by his other successess in film/TV. My usual criticism of theatre actors on TV is that they over act and this was the other way round. He gave a very subtle performance, which is very believable on TV when you get a close up shot but not great on stage when you're watching from afar. The filming tries to counter this by deliberately filming close ups of him which in turn defeats the point of it being a theatre production as it detracts from the staging and light set-up (the lighting for this show is AMAZING).

For anyone who hasn't see it, I'd recommend seeing it in a theatre as the recording really doesn't do it justice

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheDude

More
3 years 8 months ago #353200 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Why I didn't like Hamilton
As a side note, Rex, you should watch The Haunting of Lin-Manuel Miranda. I'm sure there'll be a recording on YouTube or something.

Its a play which critiques Hamilton by having Lin-Manuel Miranda be visited by historical figures missing from his play in a style similar to Scrooge in A Christmas Carol.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

More
3 years 8 months ago #353206 by Carlos.Martinez3
For me - the Hero’s Journey comes in almost any flavor. 7.5 billion - results will vary. Not every show is for me. Not every bit of needs is for me. Not everything in this world is for me, knowing this I kinna pick and choose what goes in me... as far as movies and books - let’s face it - it took me a lot of maturity and character to realize - I am a part of the whole.
Example - One punch man verses Voltron in my home ... both are seemilythe same - value comes for us to add. And we add it often - I know I do but that’s what makes things personal.

Ima take u up on that haunting story Brother Brick. Hope all is well with you and where you’re at. I still get to see you on FB with smiles and such! Here where I’m at we got pit chicken farm going. On subject we have been watching all the Triligies again ... next is the new ones ! The last 3!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
3 years 8 months ago #353207 by Carlos.Martinez3
Ps . If it wasn’t for the Temple we wouldn’t have watched the Mandoalorien series - so - thanks and thanks for the more recommendations and not. They help this guy that’s for sure ...

Attachment 2E7EA040-ECBD-4246-ABFE-D1CA04D828D1.jpeg not found

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Attachments:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi