What's in a name?

More
4 years 2 months ago #348482 by Amaya
What's in a name? was created by Amaya
I was curious to what thought if any goes into the name we choose to use here at Totjo.
Do you pick a name to grow into? One that inspired you in fiction?
Do you use a part of your birth name?
What does it mean to you? Is it just a label to recognise you by or one that has a meaning to you?

Elizabeth is my conformation name. It's meaning is 'my God is an oath'
I use it because it is a part of my identity, a big part of my past but it is not to me in anyway related to Jediism. In that way I could build my own Jedi meaning into my life.

Looking forward to hearing what meaning your names hold to you.
Thank you

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348483 by
Replied by on topic What's in a name?
You pick one that fits.

I oft see people pick names that are way to big for them. Way too grandiose for the person attempting to walk in it.

Or you'll see people with far too many hyphens or accents that it becomes near unpronounceable/lovecraftian. Jedi should be approachable, and can you approach someone comfortably that you can't even pronounce their name?

And, typically, I cringe when I see someone use already taken SW names. Far too many Luke Skywalkers on this site...

More
4 years 2 months ago #348486 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic What's in a name?
Gotta be easy to type for others!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

More
4 years 2 months ago #348488 by Skryym
Replied by Skryym on topic What's in a name?

elizabeth wrote: Do you pick a name to grow into?

A powerful concept. I have to agree with Geni Jeuls - many names are too big/dramatic for people to use. But if someone had the forethought and discipline to pick a meaningful username and grow into it, they would have my eternal respect.

If I was going by my confirmation name, it would be Bernard of Menthon (my avatar) - an old priest who cared for pilgrims in the Alps. I guess catholic habits die hard! My username itself is mostly meaningless. When the Skyrim commercials were airing on TV back in 2011, my father kept talking about this "awesome dragonslayer movie" we should watch, called "Skrim". I was writing a book at the time, and thought it would be a good name for a group of medieval monks living in abandoned castles. I replaced with the "I" with two "Y"s as all angsty teenage fantasy writers do. So I guess I'm using a cheesy, deliberately misspelled and mispronounced teenage fantasy nickname. Definitely not something to grow into. But it's my job to use that name to create a position of respect and learning here. I often fail but I try my best.

There is no bad weather, only bad attitudes and bad attire. - Gandalf the Grey
TM: Loudzoo
Skryym's Novice Journal | Meditation Journal | Apprentice Journal | Skryym's 2022 IP Journal |
B.Div Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

More
4 years 2 months ago #348490 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic What's in a name?

Geni Jeuls wrote: You pick one that fits.

I oft see people pick names that are way to big for them. Way too grandiose for the person attempting to walk in it.

Or you'll see people with far too many hyphens or accents that it becomes near unpronounceable/lovecraftian. Jedi should be approachable, and can you approach someone comfortably that you can't even pronounce their name?

And, typically, I cringe when I see someone use already taken SW names. Far too many Luke Skywalkers on this site...

Do you think then that you have certain expectations of a person when they choose a certain name? It's not just a fun label?
If you pick one that fits at the start of your journey do you then change it as you grow? Or do you grow with the name? Make that name a statement of who you are?

I agree with the SW names but to the person using those names maybe they hold ideals that they wish to hold themselves?

Everything is belief

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348491 by
Naturally a name you choose changes as you change, as long as it makes sense and isn't ten sizes too big.

More
4 years 2 months ago #348492 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic What's in a name?

Skryym wrote:

elizabeth wrote: Do you pick a name to grow into?

A powerful concept. I have to agree with Geni Jeuls - many names are too big/dramatic for people to use. But if someone had the forethought and discipline to pick a meaningful username and grow into it, they would have my eternal respect.

If I was going by my confirmation name, it would be Bernard of Menthon (my avatar) - an old priest who cared for pilgrims in the Alps. I guess catholic habits die hard! My username itself is mostly meaningless. When the Skyrim commercials were airing on TV back in 2011, my father kept talking about this "awesome dragonslayer movie" we should watch, called "Skrim". I was writing a book at the time, and thought it would be a good name for a group of medieval monks living in abandoned castles. I replaced with the "I" with two "Y"s as all angsty teenage fantasy writers do. So I guess I'm using a cheesy, deliberately misspelled and mispronounced teenage fantasy nickname. Definitely not something to grow into. But it's my job to use that name to create a position of respect and learning here. I often fail but I try my best.

So your name will become how people see you? If your name will create a position of respect and learning then why isn't it something maybe not to grow into, but to grow with?
I would say your user name isnt meaningless if you intend to create an image.... Association of respect and learning with it.

Everything is belief

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348493 by
Some so called dramatic/big names can be choose from reason of fear - to keep their illusion of intangibility.
To arouse feelings within others which says " Do not play with me." "Keep distance". I think that serious, sometimes
scary names have it´s foundation of fear or effort to be admired

I created my name according certain values which I want to reach and maintain.
For me it is: kindness, warmth, knowledge, wisdom, compassion - these features I projected into name Erinis.

Also is need to consider that not all who are here in temple take it as a path, but sometimes for fun to explore interesting pages, or
for trolling, in this case I think they will not invest effort to create name with any (for them) valuable meaning.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348495 by
When I put my name together I thought of my time in the NAVY. I was never more that a glorified dirt sailor, but the name exaquaninja fits because it was my way honoring a time in my life that has past. I think at the end of the day, a name is simply a name and the choices that you make either build up or tear down the honor and reputation of the name that belongs to the individual.

More
4 years 2 months ago #348498 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic What's in a name?
My parents named me Manuel.

Friends call me Manu for short.

Manu is both easy to pronounce for my Spanish-speaking and my English-speaking friends.

I went with Magnus Staar for a while, but I couldn't help but laugh at myself for such a ridiculous sounding name, so after a while I asked to have it changed back. :laugh:

I like using my real name, because it remarks the fact that I am always the same person, no matter what "mask" I wear online.

I would even go back to using my real photo as an avatar, but I received a few inappropriate advances so I decided not to. (cue Right Said Fred "I'm too sexy for my shirt" song)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, OB1Shinobi, Rex

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi