Qui Gon Jinn's Deepest, Darkest Jedi Secret

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #330849 by Br. John
Qui Gon Jinn's Deepest, Darkest Jedi Secret
BRIAN CRONIN DECEMBER 08, 2018

https://www.cbr.com/qui-gon-jinn-deepest-darkest-jedi-secret/

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Br. John.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #330851 by
Thank you Br John. That is an awesome read and sheds light on a fictional character that has inspired me for many years now. I think we all have that Crisis of Faith once in a while and remembering that we are here to serve the Force is a great reminder that we aren’t perfect but can find comfort in the Force being our moral compass.

More
5 years 3 months ago #330852 by Br. John

Silvermane wrote: Thank you Br John. That is an awesome read and sheds light on a fictional character that has inspired me for many years now. I think we all have that Crisis of Faith once in a while and remembering that we are here to serve the Force is a great reminder that we aren’t perfect but can find comfort in the Force being our moral compass.

You're welcome. There's more. See https://screenrant.com/star-wars-jedi-qui-gon-comic/

Star Wars Confirms Qui-Gon Would Have Saved Anakin

BY ANDREW DYCE – ON DEC 12, 2018 IN COMICS NEWS

It took some time, but Star Wars has officially explained why Qui-Gon Jinn was the only Jedi who could have saved Anakin Skywalker - because only Qui-Gon learned the truth about the Dark Side that Obi-Wan, Mace Windu, and even Yoda never realized.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #330853 by
Yes, this is a wonderful read.

I often wonder which is more important, being true to my fellow Jedi or doing what is expected of me. Throughout my life, I learned that I could not be a conformist. I just can't do it. My mind only goes to questioning, skepticism, and my natural desire is to scorch anything that is layered in B.S.

So, in this story, I feel like I fit the Qui-Gon paradigm. My loyalty lies with the Living Force, the Force that breathes into every being and non-being. Above all codes, above all laws, above all egos and friendships.

Qui-Gon was not a slave to his moral codes. And, I think the Jedi would do well to remember that the Doctrine should serve us... not the other way around. A good Doctrine is reflective of what we already are and aspire to be.

It is the dutiful soldier who ends up with the blood of his friends on his hands asking "how did it come to this? I was only doing what was asked of me."

Imagine a world filled with Qui-Gons. People with immense wisdom who all have a strong connection to the Force. Does that world need strict rules? Does it need to fix the world around it? Do we have to occupy planets? Do we have to send in soldiers to fight wars?

I don't know the answers. I can only imagine.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #330963 by OB1Shinobi
Im in the minority i know, but ive been quite disappointed at how the later works morally equalized the jedi and the sith. It doesnt take a genius to see that an emporer cruising around in his death star, destroying planets on a quest to conquer the galaxy is a villain. Nor that it is evil for one to manipulate, deceive, and betray the people who most trust him. And yet, there it is in clear print: no difference between the jedi and the sith. Yoda ends up playing politics and the quality that was supposed to be the very foundation of the jedi archetype,wisdom, was turned into a mirage.
I think that was the wrong direction to take.

That being said, it was a very good article. Thank you for sharing.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #331179 by
For me, I found the revelations of what had happened to the Jedi to be disturbing, as the first trilogy did show their faults rather plainly, but ultimately it added a great deal to the meaningful take-aways. I don't see it as equating the Sith & Jedi - the Sith (in the mythos) embrace destructiveness for personal gain, while the Jedi, for all their good intentions, fall into the dangerous blindspot of "spiritual pride" (aka the belief in the infallibility of their knowledge and initiatory system rather than remaining humbly open to what the Force still has to teach) which ultimately causes their near destruction. In the timeline, the Yoda that is so wise in Empire had a lot of alone time to ponder this mistake, and I see what develops from it (and matures even further in the Last Jedi) as the fruit of hard won experience and brutal soul searching. Some very important lessons in there.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by . Reason: correction

More
5 years 3 months ago #331194 by Manu
I feel that a huge theme in The Last Jedi is trying to pinpoint exactly what makes the Jedi / Resistance and the Sith / First Order different from each other, given that the Jedi had become enforcers more than protectors, and this sense are very similar to the Sith (Sith enforce their own rule, Jedi enforced the rule of law - often twisted by politics and bureaucrats).

This is why Leia points out to Poe the flaw in destroying the Dreadnought while sacrificing lives.
This is why Rose makes a point of saying to Finn "this is how we win, not by destroying what we hate, but saving what we love".
And this is why Luke faces Kylo Ren, not in the hopes of defeating of him, of enforcing his vision of the Galaxy, but in saving hope in the Galaxy.

Anakin would have not turned to the dark side had any of the Jedi Masters at the time practiced any sort of empathy towards one another.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi,

More
5 years 3 months ago #331203 by Tobias
Since I first heard Qui Gon Jin say, that the "Chosen One" was going to bring balance to the Force, I thought, okay, he is talking about "balance", so what could that mean? I didn´t understand in the first place why everyone in the movies interpreted that like the Chosen One was going to destroy the Sith once and for all. That would not have meant balance but the opposite! Obi Wan says to Anakin "You were meant to destroy the Sith not join them." after he has defeated him. I think, this is something that we can transfer to our daily lives. We are always hoping for things to get "better" or to "stay good". Although on a philosophical level we have realized that there is no good without evil, no light without dark and all the other dualities, we seem not to be able to integrate that in our daily lives. We only want good things to happen. And so do the Jedi in the movies, which makes them a little bit more human and therefore more credible.

You must unlearn what you have learned.

Teaching Master: Rosalyn J
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #331205 by

TobiasGeisel wrote: Since I first heard Qui Gon Jin say, that the "Chosen One" was going to bring balance to the Force, I thought, okay, he is talking about "balance", so what could that mean? I didn´t understand in the first place why everyone in the movies interpreted that like the Chosen One was going to destroy the Sith once and for all. That would not have meant balance but the opposite!

That is, at least, if we assume balance means darkness is required for balance. Or, at least, equal parts thereof

This image shows what is called asymmetrical balance. A great amount of weight close to the fulcrum of the scales can balance out a smaller amount further out. As you can see, the fulrum, in this example, is moved further the left to help these scales balance.

Now, taking that into account, it is possible to balance scales if all the weight is on on side if the fulcrum (the balancing point) is far enough to the left, simply because the scale weighs enough by itself to be balanced in such a manner.

There are some philosophies on what spiritual balance is. Some believe equal parts dark and light... but what if darkness throws off the balance. Say the scales were as I made the example, adding a single weight to the other side, when the scales are balanced, would throw off this balance. Makes sense so far?

So, Anakin was destined to balance the Force. Lets say this example of 'all being in the light' is balance, and anything in darkness upsets this balance. Yes, joining the darkness and destroying the light massively upset the scales (although, it can be argued that the Jedi Order the prequels were massively corrupt, lost their Path, and even allowed darkness, ignorance, and chaos to thrive if it benefited them), but in his final act he destroyed that same darkness he had joined and, in turn, died himself.

What does that leave? Luke. A Jedi, light... alone, with none to upset the scales again. All the weight has been returned to the light, and the scales balance once more.

Yes, a bit roundabout... but a prophesy, misread, may have been. ;)
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by .

More
5 years 3 months ago #331209 by OB1Shinobi
How many old ladies can i help to cross the road before i have to kick one into traffic to preserve the balance of the Force?

People are complicated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi