• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #320942 by
To any man attending this course i have only one thing to say

Warning: Spoiler!

Have they gone completely bonkers??

https://pjmedia.com/trending/university-of-texas-to-treat-masculinity-as-a-mental-health-issue/

The Counseling and Mental Health Center at the University of Texas at Austin recently launched a new program to help male students "take control over their gender identity and develop a healthy sense of masculinity."

Treating masculinity as if it were a mental health crisis, "MasculinUT" is organized by the school's counseling staff and most recently organized a poster series encouraging students to develop a "healthy model of masculinity."

The program is predicated on a critique of so-called "restrictive masculinity." Men, the program argues, suffer when they are told to "act like a man" or when they are encouraged to fulfill traditional gender roles, such as being "successful" or "the breadwinner."

Though you might enjoy "taking care of people" or being "active," MasculinUT warns that many of these attributes are actually dangerous, claiming that "traditional ideas of masculinity place men into rigid (or restrictive) boxes [which]... prevent them from developing their emotional maturity."

"If you are a male student at UT reading this right now, we hope that learning about this helps you not to feel guilty about having participated in these definitions of masculinity, and instead feel empowered to break the cycle!" the program offers.

Though the school seems to justify this by claiming that masculinity can cause men to lash out at other people and themselves, the school did not respond to a request for comment to clarify.
There is no evidence that masculinity itself contributes to violence. Universities that run similar programs, such as UNC-Chapel Hill and Northwestern, have admitted that their programming isn't supported by any evidence.

So...let me get this straight , no evidence and yet condemnation of the Masculine ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #320957 by
Overall, the program looks to be an attempt to encourage them to do their own thing, free of boxes, and to discourage bullying. They probably want to limit comments about shaving vaginas should a guy choose to take up ballet or do anything deemed remotely feminine.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3597769/ analyzes a collection of different studies, some of which were likely used to justify and influence the program. I recall hearing/reading the general gist of some of them.

https://cmhc.utexas.edu/vav/vav_masculinut_restrictive.html has a much more indepth explanation of what the program is about. It doesn't seem to be saying being masculine is negative, but that the pursuit of masculine, done in a restrictive manner, can lead to unhealthy suppression and expression of self. The idea is that guys can go ahead and do what they like and that is not a threat to their masculinity. It's the boys version of girls stepping out of a secretarial box and still remaining feminine.

Some of their bulletpoints:

To help explain what unhealthy masculinity looks like, MasculinUT has summarized academic research examining the lives of men and boys into the following five unhealthy attitudes and behaviors:

Patterns of Restrictive Masculinity

-Restrictive masculinity is taken for granted and is often expected of male and male-identified students. The harm that this can cause to the self (such as high-risk drinking or reluctance to seek out help) and harm against others (such as sexual harassment, sexual assault and other forms of abuse and violence) is often ignored or condoned by believing that "boys will be boys."
-Unhealthy masculinity can restrict the emotional development of students, yet recognizes aggression and violence as common and normalized behavior for men.
-Unhealthy masculinity works by excluding students who are judged not to measure up to the values of "real men." This is especially pronounced in the exclusion of feminine gender expressions, gay, bisexual and queer men, and gender-expansive students, which perpetuates sexism, homophobia, biphobia and transphobia.
To prove who is a "real man" means proving who is not a "real man." This can take the shape of competition between men, which often results in devaluing and/or hurting some men in order to appear more masculine. If unhealthy masculinity is not questioned, it could lead to racist, classist, ableist, and other violent behavior to devalue other students in the competition to prove who is a "real man."
-Unhealthy masculinity works to exclude any "femininity" from a masculine identity. This can create challenges when students want to have relationships on campus (platonic or romantic). A lack of empathy and a devaluation of femininity can result in unhealthy behavior and risks the occurrence of relationship and sexual violence. It also perpetuates the exclusion of women from academic and extracurricular activities.
-Unhealthy masculinity is not just restrictive because it denies a range of different things to students (such as emotional development, behaviors, hobbies, relationships, etc.), but it also condones some harmful behavior as natural or otherwise acceptable. Restrictive masculinity promotes distorted and fundamentally untrue ideas about what it means to be a masculine person:

-MYTH: Men have uncontrollable sexuality: this creates pressure in men to prove their heterosexuality (even in the cases of gay, bisexual, queer and transgender men), creating anxiety if relationships with women do not succeed, and increasing the risk of sexual and relationship violence if students truly believe that men's sexuality should be voracious or men should be entitled to women's sexuality.
-MYTH: Men should be fiercely independent: what this does is compel men not to seek help from others and feel solely responsible for any challenges or problems they are facing. This can affect the mental and emotional health of men.
-MYTH: Men are naturally aggressive: because emotions are restricted, one emotion that is acceptable in restrictive models of masculinity is aggression. Anger, frustration, sadness, and even love can often be channeled as aggression or violence if male-identified students do not develop other emotions.
-MYTH: Masculinity is only heterosexual: often, masculinity has to be proven through heterosexual relationships. It may create pressure in men to have a heterosexual relationship, and create anxiety if this is not the case. This marginalizes male students who are part of the LGBTQ community, as well as female students, who wish to identify as masculine.
-MYTH: Masculinity is the opposite of femininity: this myth assumes that there are two acceptable ways of existing: as a masculine person or a feminine person. The myth is unrealistic, because it assumes that masculinity and femininity are opposites and mutually exclusive. Feminine men are devalued under this myth, as well as masculine women. However, to be a successful person, a student has to inevitably engage in behavior that can be both masculine and feminine. If a student does believe masculinity and femininity are opposites, they may engage in behavior that pushes away and devalues anything feminine (even within themselves).

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #320960 by

Overall, the program looks to be an attempt to encourage them to do their own thing, free of boxes, and to discourage bullying. They probably want to limit comments about shaving vaginas should a guy choose to take up ballet or do anything deemed remotely feminine.

No , and since when is ballet feminine? You know that is the problem with it , i dont see a lot of things as feminine or masculine , the audacity to define masculine as they do is appaling. This is just another attempt of brainwashing.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #320961 by
I see it as an attempt to tell people they can do with their lives as they like, and that they are no less masculine(or feminine) for the choices they make, nor does anybody elses masculinity or femininity affect their own.

Good for you for not seeing things as masculine/feminine. However, society does, and over centuries has laid out very strict guidelines. Programs like this simply push others to see the world as undivided as you do.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #320963 by

Kehta Nier wrote: I see it as an attempt to tell people they can do with their lives as they like, and that they are no less masculine(or feminine) for the choices they make, nor does anybody elses masculinity or femininity affect their own.

Good for you for not seeing things as masculine/feminine. However, society does, and over centuries has laid out very strict guidelines. Programs like this simply push others to see the world as undivided as you do.

Good for you that you think its an attempt to tell people they can live the lives they want , i really hope so ...i for one am very sceptical about it and will look further into it ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #320966 by
I read an article once about countries doing just this, and it backfired. They tried to narrow the gender divide by teaching about it, trying to make every workplace demographic match the demographic of the community.

In the end, highlighting our differences in an effort to blend them makes the divide greater. These same counties now see more polarised workplaces than before, where many jobs are either solely male or female, with very little overlap.

Trying to remove these gender gaps will not work if we continue to focus on what separates us and pointing out the other's genetically based faults will only widen the divide.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #320967 by
I would enjoy reading that article.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #320968 by

I read an article once about countries doing just this, and it backfired

I hope you did not have to read it in Dutch because we are one of the countries where this backfired, It only caused more division and confusing and people who were worse of than before. Accepting eachother , fighting bullying , make it very clear to kids that one can be what one wants to be is much more important than issues of masculinity and femininity.

I dont know if any of you seen the movie Billie Elliot and the fight of this boy to go and live his dream and the way the men in the movie change their minds because of his determination.

SO in general , Please dont discard Masculinity just because you dont understand it , its hard enough as it is for men , ...and women

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #320969 by

Kehta Nier wrote: I would enjoy reading that article.

Sure luvv here it is

http://en.aup.nl/wosmedia/3700/nr_1_-_de_studie_van_mannelijkheid.pdf

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #320971 by

Kehta Nier wrote: I would enjoy reading that article.

Tried finding it, but now I feel it was something on the news. But here is some evidence towards my claim.

As we know, the Netherlands is super progressive, way ahead of most of the world in many regards.

But then we have this report from late last year: The Netherlands Gender Divide

As we can see just under a decade ago they were near the top of the list, but have been steadily declining. Many attribute this heightened divide because of the fact they are so progressive. In leaning so far to the left, its whip-lashing back.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi