What does "authenticity" mean to you?

More
6 years 1 month ago #319215 by Proteus
In the realm of personal identity, what does "authenticity" mean to you? :)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Rex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #319216 by Carlos.Martinez3
To me and my practice -I find that acceptance plays a big role in this. I accept more than tolerate so that being said it helps the - individualism shine in each person I meet. Each person is as rare as the fingerprints we all have and just as complex. To Be real or to have a character to your own choosing can be the authenticity some other only needs to see to take possible and make "ply able" to their path. Leave room and be filled always as I say. Choose and adjust always !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

More
6 years 1 month ago #319217 by Manu
I like Krishnamurti's explanation of the "trap of respectability", which in essence describes how our desire for a position (fear driven), leads us towards attempting to conform to the roles set out by the ideals of our society (or even our own).

To me, being authentic means avoiding the trap of respectability, and that means being able to laugh at myself when I'm being an absurd pain in the ass to myself or others (which almost never happens, you know I'm cool lol)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #319249 by

Manu wrote: I like Krishnamurti's explanation of the "trap of respectability", which in essence describes how our desire for a position (fear driven), leads us towards attempting to conform to the roles set out by the ideals of our society (or even our own).

To me, being authentic means avoiding the trap of respectability, and that means being able to laugh at myself when I'm being an absurd pain in the ass to myself or others (which almost never happens, you know I'm cool lol)

While I agree that we shouldn't let fear govern our actions or inaction, there is another aspect to respectability that doesn't inhibit authenticity. It's not limitation of self but translation into a way that allows others to understand better. An idea can be shared in a hundred different ways but which way will be most effective and most efficient?

More
6 years 1 month ago #319250 by Carlos.Martinez3

JLSpinner wrote:

Manu wrote: I like Krishnamurti's explanation of the "trap of respectability", which in essence describes how our desire for a position (fear driven), leads us towards attempting to conform to the roles set out by the ideals of our society (or even our own).

While I agree that we shouldn't let fear govern our actions or inaction, there is another aspect to respectability that doesn't inhibit authenticity. It's not limitation of self but translation into a way that allows others to understand better. An idea can be shared in a hundred different ways but which way will be most effective and most efficient?

maybe the one or ones that help us grow and foward our focus ?

Build, not tear down.

More
6 years 1 month ago #319263 by Manu

JLSpinner wrote:

I have nothing against respectability itself, of course. I was simply trying to use it in the context Krishnamurti used it in Freedom of the Known, that is, as the desire for a position out of self-interest.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, , Rex

More
6 years 1 month ago #319268 by Rex
Authenticity is a matter of reconciliation between your identity and how you perform (for lack of a better word).

Sometimes, when there's a disparity between the two it's a sign of duplicity, but in other cases it's a symptom of internal struggle or change.
Ultimately, it comes down to whether you act bona fide to your whole self (beliefs, personality, experience) or whether you fail in that sense. That means what's authentic for one can be inauthentic for another, or inauthentic just at a different time in that same person's life.

In regards to the "respectability trap" - respectability isn't an authentic end in itself, but it can be a means to one. Krishnamurti wouldn't exactly be a fan of those means necessarily, but I wouldn't discount respectability as malum in se.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #319312 by
Authenticity, for me, is living unashamed. If one is authentic to self they need not feel they need to justify their actions, words, or appearance. If they do what they know to be right, rather than ulterior motives, they need not explain themselves, nor feel that they really need to because their actions can be openly understood. If people question their ways, they can explain without a feeling of being insulted or attacked because there is nothing to attack.

This, of course, is my definition, being a follower of Potentium philosophy. This relies on the genuine good in people, the balance internally and externally in light. If people remain truly authentic, balance is maintained as everyone will remain in the light. Those that become disingenuous are falling to the darkness, and need to be pulled back to their light based roots.

More
6 years 1 month ago #319313 by Carlos.Martinez3
As Jedi there can often seem to be a double standard but when we see it as maybe there can be in existence more than one idea present that idea of double standard will some times .. diminish. Some times! If we choose ...

Build, not tear down.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #319314 by

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: As Jedi there can often seem to be a double standard but when we see it as maybe there can be in existence more than one idea present that idea of double standard will some times .. diminish. Some times! If we choose ...

Example?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi