Offline, Online... and between it all? Balance.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago #317664 by
Some points were brought up in another thread about balancing being Jedi online and offline. Some people (including myself) believe that some should spend more time online, becoming a presence here. Other people (also including myself) think some people need to know how to log out and be Jedi offline.

So how do we reconcile the two, a question posed in the other thread?

I am by no means an expert, and am making an active effort at being here often, but knowing when to go offline for a bit. How do I balance it?

Simply put, if you have nothing to say, if you're posting for the sake of it, to make your voice heard, to be passive aggressive, or really aren't furthering a conversation... why post? I read everything posted, takes me maybe a half hour in the morning. I may respond. I greet people, I answer some basic questions if not already responded to, and I may make my opinion known in other threads. But then, when I'm done, I log out. I go train offline.

Pretty much use what I'd consider the "Cat Nap" method. Any time a cat may stop for a nap (I have one at home to keep count for me ;P), I log on, check around, and log off. Again, I'm not perfect in this manner, and do still find myself chewing over nothing, posting for no reason. But I know I'm getting better. Quality over quantity in this matter, as well as others.

I hope this helps others understand what I mean when I am at both times saying we need more online activity as well as offline activity. I hope others learn from this, and perhaps we become a better community for it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #317665 by rugadd
Could it be said you would like to see quality of quantity?

rugadd

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #317666 by rugadd
*Quality over quantity

rugadd

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago #317667 by
Of course. Yes, I understand not all posts will be groundbreaking or anything, but if it doesn't move things forward what is its purpose? ;P

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #317668 by Manu
I'm not a big fan of the online/offline dichotomy.

"Online" should simply represent another tool to reach out, just like offline it might making a call or sending a handwritten note. In this manner, I draw no distinction between my online and offline self.

As a parenthesis, it is part of the reason I decided to ditch my other username and show my real picture in my profile; I want full accountability for the fact that who I am here matches who I am offline.

I understand the spirit of your post, but I think it would be more succinct to move for "less escapism". Some people come on here to escape having to deal with their lives (I've done this myself as well), and when you catch yourself doing that, log off, recallibrate, and go get things done.

But there are plenty of ways to escape reality while offline.

As a separate observation, I understand that members want to see their knights and councillors more involved in posts. I think we should all keep in mind, however, that many have lots of responsibilities that are behind the scenes, in addition to their other "offline" responsibilities. So, personally, I'll give them a pass.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Locksley, rugadd,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago #317669 by

Manu wrote: I understand the spirit of your post, but I think it would be more succinct to move for "less escapism". Some people come on here to escape having to deal with their lives (I've done this myself as well), and when you catch yourself doing that, log off, recallibrate, and go get things done.

Agreed, very much so. This is why I try to be active and genuine. Everyone knows my face, and it doesn't take much to find it. I remember being the same starting out. Arisaig was better than me in every way, and it was my escape. It took a while before I truly became Arisaig, and what I post here is the genuine me.

Manu wrote: As a separate observation, I understand that members want to see their knights and councillors more involved in posts. I think we should all keep in mind, however, that many have lots of responsibilities that are behind the scenes, in addition to their other "offline" responsibilities. So, personally, I'll give them a pass.

Of for sure, life happens. I just feel that being known, even to just a few, is important, especially for a prerequisite to knighthood. Its not like it takes a lot of effort, popping in to say hi or whatever really could suffice. I know, personally, the next few months are going to be a whirlwind of activity, and I won't be on as much.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #317672 by rugadd
I am here, often, but I don't as much post. I just read.

This conversation does add to a discussion I was having with another member, oh, maybe a month ago. The crux of it being I am out of balance in the other direction. Have I shown any real commitment besides just showing up once in awhile to preach or question?

I am still thinking about it.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago #317673 by
Personally I feel like its none of anyone's business XD To put it in another way

You all don't know me. 90 percent of you haven't even met me. I think only one (active) of this entire temple has actually met me in person....I don't talk about myself like....ever....so how can you judge what I do online vs offline? How can you judge what I hold valuable? In fact nearly everyone I know in the Jedi Community see's my posts, views, and methods of communication as some grand scheme to take over the Jedi Community. Even got accused of secretly attempting to take over this temple and that I am always passive aggressive.....I can't even begin to tell you all of the complaints ive had about my methods.

But I can tell you this.

I am actually a very easy going and gentle individual. I am a mother who wants nothing more then to be of service to those i love. Including the Jedi. I put my heart and soul into everything I do in the hopes that it will help someone...somewhere. My posts are never done in a "Grrr Im going to show them!! Im Right they are wrong!! Rawr!!" It is and always has been nothing more then me engaging in conversation. Because to me...Conversation is how you learn.

What is the point of a forum if we can't converse? So.....a large portion of the posts are junk. Why does that matter? Its a forum. Thats kind of the point XD haha

Does that mean im not being a Jedi offline? I couldn't even begin to tell you about the cluster F*** I have to balance, maintain, mediate and guide on a daily basis..... I may not be out there picking up trash and saving lost puppies and emptying my pockets of pennys to the poor.....But I struggle every day to be a foundation to the circles I do influence

So.....

In all honesty....I believe that we do not have a place to judge what other people should do better online or offline. We should focus more on the now and realize that we only see a sliver of an individuals whole. :) Just my thoughts...Perhaps im missunderstanding....but....yea.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #317675 by steamboat28

Manu wrote: I'm not a big fan of the online/offline dichotomy.

I'm tired of being berated for being a "keyboard Jedi" just because I live in a place with no other Jedi, so there are none of them to see that I actually do things outside of this site. We're all people, and online/offline divisionism just creates more problems than it solves.
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago #317676 by

steamboat28 wrote:

Manu wrote: I'm not a big fan of the online/offline dichotomy.

I'm tired of being berated for being a "keyboard Jedi" just because I live in a place with no other Jedi, so there are none of them to see that I actually do things outside of this site. We're all whole people, and online/offline divisionism just creates more problems than it solves.

Oh I feel you. Literally have yet to meet another Jedi face to face (hoping to change that when I move to England). This is pretty much my only way to chat with fellow Jedi (well, this and FB messenger). So it is rather lonely when I'm away from my computer, most people in my day to day life still have yet to take my path seriously. But I have been noticing that this place can be quite draining in extended doses, and sometimes the healthiest thing to do is to spend a couple hours offline (be that at work, working out, reading, meditating, playing poker, ect).

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi