What can Jedi do to battle the violence?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315666 by
Many of you are aware of the Valentines school shooting in Florida. It's being reported as the 18th such shooting in the USA. I also heard that Russia is feeling a similar issue of knife attacks in schools. How do we protect these people who cannot protect themselves?

Politicians will be arguing gun control and/or mental health issues? Is there something beyond those matters that we can manage and assist the victims and for that matter potential facilitators?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315668 by
Sadly, we can't protect everyone. Nor can it really be expected of us. We are just human.

We can't save and protect everyone. Best we can do is donate to a relief fund, start a fundraiser for those affected, call your politicians and demand they revisit the issue of gun control. Yes, guns aren't the issue, guns just make it easier to take out 30+ people in a matter of a minute in the hands of someone with a degree of experience. But people will do great evil if there is great evil within.

We are not enough in number to protect the world from itself, from dark human nature, and from evil people. But we can help those affected, in whatever way we can. If you have five bucks that you can spare, perhaps that's the Force putting that five bucks in your path to help those people.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #315670 by
Donate and provide charitable service to your local schools and allow teachers to carry protection, licencing and education on said protection.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315680 by
Gun control is not the answer. If every classroom had an AR-15 in it similar to a fire extinguisher and the teachers and staff underwent regular periodic training to use them as well as instruct them and students on how to react and handle situations of this sort, these incidents would disappear. You cant fight senseless violence with peace, you can only fight it with greater threat of violence. Meaning there is nothing that can be done to stop these things, we can only better prepare people for when they do.

Of course my example is an extreme one and not viable but it makes my point.

More
6 years 2 months ago #315682 by thomaswfaulkner
I can't really add much more to the conversation apart than what has been said. One thing that I would like to point out and kind of illuminate people on is the totality of the suffering that is undertook when tragic events like this occur. When we are made aware of the situation it's something that I sort of conceptualize as staring through the opening of the door into a room. It's only when we walk through the door that we see all of the moving parts and connections.

After working with some of the victims of the Sutherland Springs shootings, I learned that the suffering goes much further than the damage that was dealt to the victims. Entire family dynamics change, the children who were affected not only have to deal with the physical and psychological recovery of this shooting event, but cope with the ever changing dynamics of practically every relationship they have. Consider the large amount of attention this area of town will receive over the next few weeks. The news and media outlets will flood the victim's family and friends and serve as a very hefty distraction from the pain and loss that was experienced.

The victims and their family will be receiving a lot of attention from all of the organizations and all of a sudden it will stop. Everyone will start to pull out of town as the story starts to stagnate. Surviving victims may have physical disabilities that need to be addressed. Parents of these victims will have to reevaluate their careers/vocations to accommodate their children's need. The non-injured siblings of the surviving victims will have feelings of jealousy for the "special attention" that the victim is receiving. And these are just a few of the relationships that directly affect the victim, can you imagine the lives of the people and family associated with the assailant?

When we look past that opening door and take some time to explore the suffering, all of it, as we would take in the foreignness of a new room, we can truly see the extent of all of the hurt and loss and pain. But with the negativity, we can see signs of hope, optimism, and resilience to these adversities. Communities coming together to move forward and spread compassion and love towards one another. We should extend ourselves to take action on the things we can change and have a direct impact on.

This doesn't necessarily answer the question of what we can do, per se, but I feel it addresses the actions we can take beyond that view of the door. To know, empathize, and support our fellow people for the many years to come.

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kobos, ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315684 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Gun control is not the answer. If every classroom had an AR-15 in it similar to a fire extinguisher and the teachers and staff underwent regular periodic training to use them as well as instruct them and students on how to react and handle situations of this sort, these incidents would disappear. You cant fight senseless violence with peace, you can only fight it with greater threat of violence. Meaning there is nothing that can be done to stop these things, we can only better prepare people for when they do.

As horrifying as it is, if gun control isn't implemented, something like this should be. Or employ a veteran to sit watch in a school if the teachers don't want to be trained to use a gun. Would create jobs for those that served, put those skills to use, and protect those they've already sworn to protect.

A small evil to stop great evil

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #315685 by Kobos
So, there was a time in which these happenings were very rare and yes they did happen, one difference between society now ad back then? People were courteous in a way, don't just walk past your neighbor say hi, have a conversation with them. do they seem like something is wrong, ask them. You have to at least know someone to know if they are a threat. This isn't going to stop these things but heck it would probably help a bit.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Kobos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thomaswfaulkner,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315687 by

Arisaig wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Gun control is not the answer. If every classroom had an AR-15 in it similar to a fire extinguisher and the teachers and staff underwent regular periodic training to use them as well as instruct them and students on how to react and handle situations of this sort, these incidents would disappear. You cant fight senseless violence with peace, you can only fight it with greater threat of violence. Meaning there is nothing that can be done to stop these things, we can only better prepare people for when they do.

As horrifying as it is, if gun control isn't implemented, something like this should be. Or employ a veteran to sit watch in a school if the teachers don't want to be trained to use a gun. Would create jobs for those that served, put those skills to use, and protect those they've already sworn to protect.

A small evil to stop great evil

Commenting specifically on Arisaig's claim on having some control implemented something to keep in mind, there are laws at the federal and state level concerning ownership but there is numerous cases of the bureaucracy not enforcing these laws. Many of the demands of control advocates are already laws but are not enforced. There are already reports of the FBI being aware of this individual yet doing nothing. What good is a law if nothing is done about it by those who are to prosecute the law?

Should something be done? Arguably yes! but we cannot fall into the trap of "Oh those people have blood on their hands cause they don't agree with me", That's facebook in a nutshell.

I agree with Arisaig on arming teachers/employing veterans as guards (Look, I'm calling for change)

Note: This may sound snarky but it is in no way pointed to Arisaig, who has made a well reasoned comment, facebook just has been pissing me off.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315688 by
In the IP there is a prompt concerning the nature of the sword and I feel it very apt for this conversation. A segment from my journal,

This duality with the sword is a connection to the human capacity to be both good and evil. The sword in one hand can do good but the sword in an evil hand can cause great harm but it is still on the manner of the wielder. The sword is the tool of one's ambition and character. In Star Wars, we see both Sith and Jedi use lightsabers as means to carry out their actions. In A New Hope, Obi-Wan describes the lightsaber as the weapon of the Jedi who "were defenders of peace and justice in the galaxy". The lightsaber is not that, the Jedi are while the Vader and Palpatine both use lightsabers as extensions of their power and will to dominate.
The Jedi of our own temple also have the same ideas, that the individual is what makes the difference in society. To be that difference and seek to make a beneficial change one must utilize the aspects of knowledge, wisdom, compassion etc. To say that one need only be armed with peace is foolish because there are those that will take advantage of the people to impose their will and destroy. The Jedi must be dedicated to peace but Si vis Pacem, Para Bellum, in times of peace, prepare for war. All the kind words and knowledge means nothing if the person carrying it is destroyed or if one seeks to be a protector has no means of actually protecting anyone.

More
6 years 2 months ago #315692 by Reacher
I don't believe the quote from the article below is THE answer, but I believe it's part of an answer, and something we all can do:

"The good news is that you, as an individual, can make a difference.

Reach out to someone who you think could be lonely, and invite them to do something fun together. Keep inviting them. Build trust, and confide in each other. Set the example by being a safe and supportive person to be around.

If you’ve noticed their personality has drastically changed, invite them out for several hours. Be there for them. You could save their life."

Thoughts On The Vegas Shooting

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi