Posting Star Wars refrences

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315479 by
Replied by on topic Posting Star Wars refrences

Rickie wrote:

Connor L. wrote: Perhaps we should just drop the whole Jedi thing altogether. *shrugs* It’s a thought. Maybe not a good one. Haha.

If you do then what's left is Taoism.

You sure?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #315480 by Tellahane

Connor L. wrote:

Rickie wrote:

Connor L. wrote: Perhaps we should just drop the whole Jedi thing altogether. *shrugs* It’s a thought. Maybe not a good one. Haha.

If you do then what's left is Taoism.

You sure?

For some it is, depends on which parts you really want to believe or follow in. I would say for me personally a lot of it for me is also based on Taoism, but there is still some other things mixed in here and there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Zero

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315505 by
Senan

"Ricky - what you are missing in Arisaig's attempts to explain his path is that he is explaining his path.:

I didn't say he wasn't a Jedi nor did I say his path was wrong. I did ask questions and make statements that I thought would be thought provoking, not only for Arisaig but for readers. We have engaged in an exchange of ideas and thoughts. At least it's made me think more and thinking is good. If my words stimulating thinking in others then great. When views are exchanged people are changed in some way even if it's small.

So having said that I'll make myself clear, I hope. Arisaig is enthusiastic, seems sincere and genuine in his interests and desires. I wish him well as he grows with the living force and expands his knowledge with his Training Master.

Also, I have no problem with Star War reference. My original statement was I didn't think a Star Wars section enhanced the Churches image and in fact contributes to people's misunderstanding and not taking this Church serious. It is fandom and there are many other places on the WWW more appropriate for those type of discussions.

In face I'd like to propose that it be locked with links redirecting folks to those locations or a statement to that effect.

:-)

More
6 years 2 months ago #315508 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Posting Star Wars refrences
So, I really haven't weighed in on much recently, but why is anyone overly concerned with the justification of the title for a loose system of beliefs that align with a life style so many choose to live. If pairing it with fantasy makes it look less genuine than any other religion then perhaps we are thinking to hard and not living enough.

Thinking like anything can have a give and take.

Let Fandom be, if it choose to manifest itself here than perhaps it should be applied as a tool of learning. I couldn't say my in honesty that my study of the martial arts is not in part from my fandom of Bruce Lee.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Zero

More
6 years 2 months ago #315511 by MadHatter

Rickie wrote: Also, I have no problem with Star War reference. My original statement was I didn't think a Star Wars section enhanced the Churches image and in fact contributes to people's misunderstanding and not taking this Church serious. It is fandom and there are many other places on the WWW more appropriate for those type of discussions.

In face I'd like to propose that it be locked with links redirecting folks to those locations or a statement to that effect.

:-)

Yea I would never support this. If people cant look past one section that is as sensible as people thinking that a church is a gaming site because at the church social kids play video and card games and that is on them. Just because you dont like something does not mean other people do not get to use it. That is one of the biggest issues in the Jedi path and most any other culture or group out there. There is always a few people that want to ban the other kids from using things or doing things that they take issue with.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Zero

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315515 by

Rickie wrote: Senan
My original statement was I didn't think a Star Wars section enhanced the Churches image and in fact contributes to people's misunderstanding and not taking this Church serious.

I think the fact that it is stuck down in the "Miscellaneous" section at the same level of a swap meet gives a good indication of how much importance it has relative to the Church's work - it's something that may or may not be of interest to the membership, and is on the level of the "movie nights" many churches have. It's the behavior of the membership - the sincerity of their efforts to live the doctrine and apply it - that makes me take a church or spiritual order seriously, and that should apply no matter the topic being discussed. So long as I see people involved who are putting a great deal of effort into keeping things directed at the refinement and embodiment of the ideal, I can scroll past any discussions that don't help me get there.

And my concern here is the concern with "image" - its artificial to jettison the mere discussion of the mythos that the whole things springs from in order to craft a more proper "churchy" facade (when in reality, we all know that it would be rare for anyone to join here without some appreciation or enjoyment of Star Wars discussions). There are a lot of places one can go if looking for spiritual/esoteric training not using Star Wars terminology or imagery (frankly, all of them I've encountered will have the same level of drama and human shortcomings)...I'd much rather see this one be what it naturally is.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi