Founder of The Order

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #313169 by
Oh, no :(
Thanks for letting me know...
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by . Reason: Include the thank you. Took me by surprise before...

More
6 years 3 months ago #313209 by Kit
Her passing really has upset me. I've looked up to her for a very long time. She always was supportive of budding authors (which I always dreamed to be) and her works have influenced my path from High School when I first found her books in the library.

I remember when I found them 17 years ago. Early in the morning before school, I went into the library to hunt out a new book. I had finished my last one the day before and craved another like I was starving. My habit then was to grab the thickest fantasy or Star Wars book I could find that seemed interesting to me. But what caught my eye that bright morning was a row of slim purple spines. I had assumed they were a lesson for one of the English classes and were removed from the syllabus at some point. Curious I pulled one out and was faced with a filigree dragon supporting the bold text of the title. A Wizard of Earthsea. I probably read the back but I don't remember. I took it up and checked it out.

This little 200 page book filled me with so many ideas and inspirations. It's why I consider names so important. Why I study a thing to find out why it's the way it is before I attempt to change it. Sparowhawk helped me face my own shadow and accept my own scars. He helped me realize my own power. I found this book so instrumental to my path that it's on my suggested reading list for my apprentices. It was the first book I recommended to the TotJO Book club, and I sent it to the 2017 CA Jedi Gathering for the book swap. And if you haven't read it yet, I suggest it to you too! It's beautifully written and has such a powerful story.

I started A Wizard of Earthsea again last night. It's not my most read book but it's up there. Maybe Ged can help me through my current shadows too.

“For a word to be spoken, there must be silence. Before, and after.” ― Ursula K. Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

More
6 years 2 months ago #314383 by Shepherd
Just reading this now and... I don't really know what to say. Sparrowhawk will forever be a part of me, as will Ged, as will all his names and titles. Such an incredible character, brought to life by an incredible writer who's poetry set my imagination free to see the world however I wanted. We have lost another great artisan of words and stories. May her work continue to inspire us, and her memory live on through its ripples.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi