TOTJO Book Club Discussion on The Force - A Jedi Reading of the Tao Te Ching (

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #310844 by Lykeios Little Raven
Thought I’d set up this thread for discussion on the book “The Force - A Jedi reading of the Tao Te Ching.”

All those interested can feel free to post their thoughts/reactions on the book (which is available for free in the TOTJO Library) here and participate in discussion about the book.

We’d set up a tentative “deadline” of January 7th by which to read the first 20 sections/chapters of the book, with a deadline for future chapters to be decided at a later date.

Hope you’re enjoying the book and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and to having a lively discussion based on those thoughts! Happy reading Jedi readers!

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #310848 by Alexandre Orion
Good luck with that ...

The difficulty you are going to encounter is that by doing a critical reading of the Tao Te Ching, one is inclined to read it rationally, to 'understand' what is written. That isn't going to be of much benefit ; the Tao Te Ching is metaphoric, but one has to wait - to be in an experience - to find out what it is the metaphor of... Just reading it from cover to cover, it can't be understood.

That is why it is a fundamental lesson for Jedi, but not so much for an 'exercise in literary criticism'. The 'chapters' are in numerical order, but they do not follow one from the other. Why might that be ?

;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #310849 by
I'm looking forward to it. It's a very timely reflection right now for me, and interesting to work with in the new terminology, and it will be good to hear what is resonating with others as they read through it. Thanks, Lykeios, for suggesting it!

More
6 years 2 months ago #310853 by Rosalyn J
I hope you all enjoy it. Are you guys going to do a voice discussion or a text discussion?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

More
6 years 2 months ago #310857 by Lykeios Little Raven

Rosalyn J wrote: I hope you all enjoy it. Are you guys going to do a voice discussion or a text discussion?

Well, perhaps a combination of the two.

Someone (I think Zenchi) has suggested it might make a good topic for one of the Sunday Cantina hangouts.

It’ll depend on if anyone is interested in doing a voice chat discussion.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #310859 by Lykeios Little Raven

Alexandre Orion wrote: Good luck with that ...

The difficulty you are going to encounter is that by doing a critical reading of the Tao Te Ching, one is inclined to read it rationally, to 'understand' what is written. That isn't going to be of much benefit ; the Tao Te Ching is metaphoric, but one has to wait - to be in an experience - to find out what it is the metaphor of... Just reading it from cover to cover, it can't be understood.

That is why it is a fundamental lesson for Jedi, but not so much for an 'exercise in literary criticism'. The 'chapters' are in numerical order, but they do not follow one from the other. Why might that be ?

;)

Very well said, Alex. This is precisely why I’m doing my best to not read it critically. ;)

Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.

More
6 years 2 months ago #310943 by Adder
I use the translations as a guide to exploring the Mandarin etymology, by using original language versions, and in doing so it has dissolved a lot of the 'metaphorical appearance' such that it feels like the real Taoism is hidden much deeper then what is popularity understood perhaps as revelation (which I might instead call embodiement - of a particular view, and as such highly circumstantial.... but still a useful thing in developing awareness and insight). At least its a chance to try and put oneself in the shoes of those who wrote it, for better or worse! Takes me a fair chunk of time though as its not a reading but an researching. So I wouldn't avoid criticality, I'd rather go deeper :D And as such most translations are not particularly helpful :silly:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
6 years 2 months ago #310948 by Eleven
I have read parts of the Tao and I enjoy it very much. It's relaxing and often makes sense out of what we call life. IMO.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #310965 by
Thats the difficult thing about reading the Tao Te Ching. You have to experience it and not understand it. But I think it will be still possible to Discuss about it :)

Happy to see you all soon here for Discussion :)

More
6 years 2 months ago #311065 by Loudzoo
I'll get involved with this if I can - very keen to hear what people think!

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi