Become the Force, By Daniel Jones – A Review.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #308930 by
Become the Force, By Daniel Jones – A Review.

First I want to thank Br John for sending me this book. And as promised I wanted to provide a review of its content, even though it may be a bit overdue. :P

One of the unique things about Jediism is there are as many forms of it as there are practitioners. This book and the philosophy of Daniel Jones is no exception. In that regard I will not go into why this book may be right or wrong for any one individual. I can no more assert that Jones philosophy is any more correct or incorrect than any other Jedi’s. However what I can say is that, in my opinion, many of the concepts presented in this book never even really begin to scratch the surface of what the core of Jediism is supposed to be.

Instead, what it quickly devolves into is a self-help guide for Asperger sufferers in the framework of a series of new age, white light, pseudo-scientific teachings. It talks extensively about new age concepts like vital energy, the law of attraction, psychic power, energy healing, and Noetic science. It also mentions some of the most discredited pseudo-scientific studies such as Dr Masaru Emoto’s water experiments. These concepts make up the bulk of what Jones considers to be “Force” concepts. At one point Jones, goes into the concept of Indigo Children. These are children believed to possess supernatural traits of abilities and possibly possessing alien ancestors. The book describes how Jones believes himself to be one of these children. The problem lies in the fact that none of these concepts really have anything to do with true Jediism.

The book also has no regard for what is commonly accepted as the history of Jedi realism. Several times he touts himself as the founder of Jediism when there is ample evidence this is just false. There are also blatant inaccuracies in the book. At one point he described the Temple of the Jedi Order, another Jedi group, as a Christian group based on the teachings of Joseph Smith. Both are wrong. The group is not Christian based and actually bases much of its philosophy on the writings of the American mythologist Joseph Campbell.

Also sprinkled throughout the teachings of this book are link after link to some of the books contributors self-help pay sites. All shameless attempts to get the reader hooked and then pay more money. Basically the bulk of this book is designed to re-frame the new age movement under the context of Star Wars to make it palatable for those seeking easy answers to some of the hardest questions of life. Barely mentioned are concepts such as Buddhism, Taoism, Shinto, chivalry or the Bushido code. It never even mentions the exploration of some of the deepest philosophical questions of life. Questions like who we are, where we come from and where we are going as individuals and as a species.

Basically if you want fluffy answers to fluffy questions this book is for you. Otherwise stay away and spend the time to search for the real answers yourself.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #308936 by Carlos.Martinez3
I am currently reading the book now . I do appreciate some one doing work for the faith. I am never one to disrespect anyone's views or belief. The book seems to stem a lot from the authors point of view. A very real read and a very real possibility in my own eyes. As I myself am always in practice and in full learn mode , one of my practices is to remove myself and my own attachment blame and feelings. In doing this I enjoyed the book. I also have books on self help and self improvement and am looking foward to an updated version of the book with the errors fixed but I did like I do have a copy with misprints. I'll add that to the Harry Potter and dr sues misprimts first edition section of my library. In hopes of writing my own Jedist book I look and am grateful to this - one of soon to be many difrent views and practices that are begining to hit the world!
Be on the lookout for many more and many more versions of steps guides and manuels ! What a wonderful day we live in.
Thanks you ! Thank you Jedi every where !

As with any path and any version of Jedi ism - it's as wonderful and beautiful as our own individual fingerprints!

May the Force be with us as we ---ALL- seek it!
Ps - I liked it !
I also like bamboo chutes in my food and Linen shirts n pants ... cowboy hats .. cows ... hobbit style food: Narnian pomp and circumstance ... you get the point ! But thank you for posting this area for the book review . A recommendation while reading : it's from the authors heart and strive and time as ... him. It's his color- his light - his ways - his ideas. Not all are for me as not all will be for you .I am thankful for every way idea light I find and hope to find a common ground with as many as I can- connections!!!!!!
MTFBWY!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #309002 by
My review was just posted to Amazon.