Ask Reacher Anything

More
6 years 7 months ago #297346 by Reacher
Ask Reacher Anything was created by Reacher
I have watched some of the AMAs go really well over the last few weeks, and want to share in some of that mutual outreach.

I have been an Apprentice for quite some time, and have had the opportunity to work with and grow alongside some really wonderful people. Anything I could pass along or learn, I would love to.

Please, ask away!

My Sarahah Link as well :)

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #297351 by
Replied by on topic Ask Reacher Anything
I have always viewed you as an ideal Jedi. Probably the best one in the world. For multiple reasons. Of course, it's part of my own biases and imperfections that I view you this way. I am fully able to admit that there is a big fallacy around "best" when it comes to Jedi. I just can't help it. ;) You'd fit right in with the Jedi from the fiction. Probably the closest any of us will ever get to it.

What do you think contributes to your success as a Jedi?

Also, why did you choose the Jedi path?

More
6 years 7 months ago #297354 by thomaswfaulkner
What blessing is your biggest curse?

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reacher

More
6 years 7 months ago #297357 by Reacher
Replied by Reacher on topic Ask Reacher Anything

Connor L. wrote: I have always viewed you as an ideal Jedi. Probably the best one in the world. For multiple reasons. Of course, it's part of my own biases and imperfections that I view you this way. I am fully able to admit that there is a big fallacy around "best" when it comes to Jedi. I just can't help it. ;) You'd fit right in with the Jedi from the fiction. Probably the closest any of us will ever get to it.

What do you think contributes to your success as a Jedi?

Also, why did you choose the Jedi path?

Connor,

If I have come across anything like what you just described, I've done you a great disservice. ;)

In seriousness, thank you - we have known one another a long time and your regard means a great deal to me. I sometimes feel like I have impostor syndrome - like I've been faking the funk my whole life and am just waiting to be outed. :)

I cannot tell you how many times I have failed. Messed something up. Hurt someone I care about. I CAN do a few things well, and I believe one of them is throwing my hat in the ring for a challenge I am uncertain I can match. Another is self-reflection afterward. The key is maintaining the same cold eye toward success and failure. There is no perfect win, and there is no loss without lesson. Just keep reaching, and you will go SO far. That's really what my handle on this site is about - a remind of what I need to be. Also, I consider obstacles as part of my Way. They're opportunities for growth and for taking personal responsibility for the life I've been given. I feel that, in whatever capacity I can, I need to give this life back and I won't let anyone diminish that.

As far as why I chose the Jedi Path...in a way I feel like it chose me. I fell into it as a serious course of study while in college. I took a class as a young aspiring serviceman called "Code of the Warrior." The course covered warrior ethos and paradigms throughout time and geography. It helped me take a step back and evaluate why warriors acted the way they did, and what beliefs motivate the various tribes out there today. It was really fascinating stuff. The course was designed by an notable ethicist and taught by a SEAL Team 6 Master Chief with his PhD in Philosophy. Pretty amazing guy, and he is one of my mentors to this day. Our final project for the course was to dive deeply into one warrior culture and do the usual paper/presentation combination. In an offhand jest, I mentioned studying up on the Jedi - and my mentor enthusiastically suggested I give it a try, so I did. I was really awakened by what I uncovered...and as an aspiring warrior, it simply felt RIGHT. After reaching out to the net for awhile, I landed here :)

Unfortunately, I lost the computer data with my project. I was really proud of it and would love to share it. Perhaps that's an idea for another time...

Thanks, Connor!

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #297358 by
Fantastic!! Thanks for sharing. :) *fanboys from NY*

More
6 years 7 months ago #297361 by Reacher

thomaswfaulkner wrote: What blessing is your biggest curse?

Thanks for the question, Thomas - and nice to meet you :)

This is my blessed curse:

Attachment ikigai.png not found

I've found my ikigai and absolutely love what I do. It took me a long time to balance that against family and other aspects of my life. If I didn't have them (and frankly you guys), I would slip into it entirely. Which is a bit too one-dimensional for my liking.

Finding that balance is very difficult, though. Out of a four year stretch, I wasn't home more than a month or two at a time. I didn't really have a choice in the matter...but I found that as I matured I began to understand what that kind of tempo can do to those who care about me - and it is time you cannot really reclaim. That was a painful realization.

It remains a challenge - I feel the call if I am in one place too long, or things are afoot and I am sidelined. One of these days I will realize that the train doesn't really care if I'm on it or not :)

Thanks for the question, Thomas

Jedi Knight

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven, Avalon, thomaswfaulkner

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #297363 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Ask Reacher Anything
I don't really have a question, but you last post was something new to me (although I am a little disappointed your curse wasn't "Diagrams" or "Set Theory" )

It's not the first time you've brought some new concept into my world, although I really rather wish you'd stop.

I imagine my employers would too, I think they think I should do more work and read about esoteric concepts less.

ANYWAY, I'm off to build my next leadership lesson around the idea of Ikigai.

(No, I won't be crediting some weirdo from the internet with bringing it to my attention)

Toodle-oo!
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reacher

More
6 years 7 months ago #297413 by Reacher
James,

You should stop...you're making me blush.

Jedi Knight

The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #297419 by
Careful, or we'll start the Reacher fan club. lol

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public