Hi I'm Brick, ask me anything.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #288103 by Brick
Well, everyone else seems to be doing it now so I thought give it a go too!

This is a free-for-all, I won't take offence, ask any questions thread.

I'm Brick, I've been on the Jedi Path (or started calling it that) for the last 18 months, and have been an apprentice under Alexandre Orion for about half of that time. I'm 21 (soon to be 22) years old, from a little village in England with a population of 313 (pretty sure that includes the farm animals too) and am currently completing my University Degree in Quantity Surveying (more interesting than it sounds) part-time, whilst working as a Trainee Quantity Surveyor full-time.

I have quite a few interests, but my work/uni commitments mean that I'm constantly struggling to find free time to enjoy them.

I also really want to get a dog at some point

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden, Rex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #288104 by
Replied by on topic Hi I'm Brick, ask me anything.
LOL "quantity surveying" sounds like you count stuff or make sure stuff is counted correctly. So I must ask, what is quantity surveying?

Also what kind of dog do you want to get?
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by .

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #288105 by Brick

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: LOL "quantity surveying" sounds like you count stuff or make sure stuff is counted correctly. So I must ask, what is quantity surveying?

Also what kind of dog do you want to get?

Well, if you ask an Engineer they'll tell you I count bricks :S

Basically, a QS advises on construction costs and contracts ie, I make sure the Engineers don't spend to much (they can't be trusted :laugh: ), and I help to resolve any disputes that might occur between the different contractors.

The dog would have to be either a Border Collie (growing up in the country I used to love watching them herd sheep), or a Golden Labrador (I've always imagined myself as an old man, sitting in an armchair by the fire, smoking a pipe, with my trusty Golden Labrador by my side :laugh: )

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #288117 by
What have you found hardest about Jediism to date, and how have you overcome it?

More
6 years 9 months ago #288137 by JamesSand

Basically, a QS advises on construction costs and contracts ie, I make sure the Engineers don't spend to much (they can't be trusted :laugh: ),

YOU'RE THE BEAN COUNTER!

The mortal enemy of all good projects!

You might as well have introduced yourself as the "Fun Police" :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick, Rex

More
6 years 9 months ago #288140 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Hi I'm Brick, ask me anything.

JamesSand wrote:

Basically, a QS advises on construction costs and contracts ie, I make sure the Engineers don't spend to much (they can't be trusted :laugh: ),

YOU'RE THE BEAN COUNTER!

So you're the oversight sorcerer who always wants a BOM..? :laugh:
Do you think you've learned anything interesting from your studies/experience on the "dark side" that give you a unique perspective on Jediism or life?

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

More
6 years 9 months ago #288176 by Brick

tzb wrote: What have you found hardest about Jediism to date, and how have you overcome it?

Oooh, thats a good question Stu!

Erm, in terms of the Doctrine? I'd say probably the the 2nd teaching, 'Jedi maintain a clear mind'. I constantly have a million things going through my mind, which I suppose knocks the Three Tenets out of wack too as I'm not that good at 'pruning the irrelevant and pouring the best of your mind into what you are doing'. Meditation has helped with this a lot, and [strike]Marta[/strike] Amyntas made me some meditation beads, which she gave me this past weekend and they've already helped by giving me something to focus on. I've also used the guided meditation you did a number of times (it's really good, do another one)!

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

More
6 years 9 months ago #288179 by Brick

Rex wrote:

JamesSand wrote:

YOU'RE THE BEAN COUNTER!

So you're the oversight sorcerer who always wants a BOM..? :laugh:
Do you think you've learned anything interesting from your studies/experience on the "dark side" that give you a unique perspective on Jediism or life?

Haha! In the UK construction industry, Quantity Surveying is often referred to as the 'dark side' (no joke)!

A lot of my job involves mediating between two parties that are disagreeing over one thing or another (usually money), so being able to empathise with both sides and help find a solution that works for everyone is really important. This is a fairly obvious Jedi trait.

However, I've also learnt that sometimes people just aren't willing to play ball and to compromise, and at times like this it is necessary to call in the Storm Troopers, turn on my lightsaber and crush the Rebel Scum :laugh:

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

More
6 years 9 months ago #288180 by JamesSand

However, I've also learnt that sometimes people just aren't willing to play ball and to compromise, and at times like this it is necessary to call in the Storm Troopers, turn on my lightsaber and crush the Rebel Scum :laugh:

I assume by "Rebel Scum" you mean
"stingy client tighter than a fish's wossname"

and not

"Visionary who only wants to work with the resources required to make dreams a reality, is that so much to ask for?"
:laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick, Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #288185 by
How many beads are there on the meditationchain :laugh:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi