Hi, I'm tzb. Ask me anything.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #288047 by
Replied by on topic Hi, I'm tzb. Ask me anything.

Avalonslight wrote: Aside from your apprentices, what keeps you coming back to this particular Temple in spite of your disillusionment? And what changes do you think are necessary in that regard?

I think more than anything it's the feeling that... what this place claims to be, and often is, is the right place for me. This should be the place for people who believe as I do. This place is built on beliefs and principles I hold dear. It is about training people in things I really care about. Doing things I believe are of real value. We definitely get to do some of that here. The message and doctrine and ideals are all ones I believe in very deeply. It's just the execution is sometimes - more often the "higher" one goes - way off.

Changes... well. A lot. Some expectation placed on all levels with anything approaching seniority. Accountability and a baseline expectation for what an ongoing Clergy person or Officer or Knight or Master or Councillor status means. A flattening of the preposterous heirarchy which is all about ego. Those would be a good starting point. But also an overhaul of some of the ideas we tolerate in the forums, a better structure for moderating the kinds of discussions which leave people feeling marginalised and unwelcome because of who they are. Less of the "Duke it out, toughen up" mentality which misses the absolute importance of sensitivity and mutual respect, and the battles members old and new may already be going through. Making this Temple just that... a place of spiritual refuge and support.

What can I do, but come back and try and be part of what I believe is the good? That's what keeps me coming back. Better a frustrated participant than a defeated spectator.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #288555 by

tzb wrote: [
I really am stumped to think of something typically British in response to this... after all our national dish is generally acknowledged to be Chicken Tikka Masala :D

Fish and chips and mushy peas? Or a full breakfast... As a relatively well travelled American, this feel pretty full on British to me
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #288557 by
Sure, but those aren't really things I'd "recommend" as evidence our food is any good, as per the original question. Both can be; both frequently are not ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #288559 by
Do you have a favourite Doctor?

Do most people in the UK know who John Oliver is?

What's your favourite Terry Pratchett book and why is it Wings because of the tree frogs?

. . . er, never mind, you needn't answer that last one. :D

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #288561 by

Atticus wrote: Do you have a favourite Doctor?

Do most people in the UK know who John Oliver is?

What's your favourite Terry Pratchett book and why is it Wings because of the tree frogs?

. . . er, never mind, you needn't answer that last one. :D

1. 8 or 10 for me. But also 9 and the War Doctor. I don't actually watch it anymore... and never watched the original series. -100 nerd points

2. Yes they do, but he's definitely bigger in the states. When we see him, we see clips of his US show. His delivery is very tailored to the US audience and wouldn't go over that well here, imo.

3. It's actually Good Omens :D I've read pretty much all of his books EXCEPT Discworld (ok, I read the first 8 or so)... don't love Discworld, do love TP. But REALLY love Neil Gaiman.
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi