Hi, I'm tzb. Ask me anything.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #288017 by
I've been meaning to post one since Kit made hers, and now Cabur and Ros have as well I'm hoping the time and appetite is there to hear another Jedi's perspective. By way of a disclaimer, I will respond to every question, but reserve the right to deflect any I find too personally sensitive. I'm pretty thick skinned though ;)

At the time of writing I am 33, live in England, and work as a Software Tester. I'm a father of two wonderful young children, I'm engaged to a beautiful lunatic (pending divorce from my first wife) and live to travel, particularly in Scandinavia (trip to Svalbard last winter a particular highlight). For me the most sacred space is green, natural and growing, so I spend a lot of time in the woods. I'm a graduate in English Literature and Philosophy.

My Jedi pedigree... I have been walking the Jedi path for nearly 4 years now, all of them here at the Temple. I completed the IP within a month and an Apprenticeship in around 7 months, with two masters, V and Alexandre Orion. After that I began teaching a course on the Hero's Journey (find it in the Additional Courses section) and took on some Apprentices of my own, but unfortunately wasn't able to finish any of this work due to separating from my wife. Life does tend to interrupt our plans...

However as time moved on I returned to the Temple in full force (heh) and engaged in training others, as well as continuing my personal studies, for which I was later awarded the rank of Senior Knight. I've written a lot of sermons, taken a lot of confession and attended my fair share of Knights and Clerical meetings... as such I feel I've seen most of the day to day business of TotJO, besides the top table - most of whom I have met in some fairly firey debates and arguments, by this point.

I recently saw my first Apprentice Knighted (Senan) and am committed to completing my other Apprentice Atticus' training... but have also been taking some time to reflect on my future as a Jedi and member of the Temple. I am a former member of the leading body of the Clergy, the Synod, and former Priest. I am also a former moderator. I stood down from these roles by choice during a period of disillusionment, which is why I'm no longer quite so certain, and whilst I still think that was the right decision given the thoughts and feelings of the time, I'm still somewhat ambivalent as to my ongoing place in this community. I am a Jedi. I believe in the Force as the underlying nature of all existence. I want to help others find harmony with it. I love what we do, what we represent and what I believe we embody. But... I really dislike a lot of how we do it.

So. That's me, today.

Any questions? :)
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #288022 by
Replied by on topic Hi, I'm tzb. Ask me anything.
What does tzb stand for?

If you had to choose your favorite IP lesson, which would it be and why?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #288024 by
And... what do you dislike about the Temple does things?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #288025 by

ReallyRiver wrote: What does tzb stand for?

If you had to choose your favorite IP lesson, which would it be and why?

1. Ha ha, how did I know this would come up? :)

https://youtu.be/JivyfFkWsBA

2. Honestly, the essays at the end. It was really enjoyable to take all the stuff I'd been devouring for the last month and plough that into the stuff I was hoping to get to next... the actual business of "Jediing" the Apprenticeship and Knighthood represented. I like to write, I like to think things out on the page. So the essays were a treat.

In my case a maximum word count may have been more appropriate...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #288030 by
As a father, do you see yourself sharing Jediism with your little ones at some point?

And a more lighthearted question, having travelled, do you think the stereotype about cuisine from the U.K. being less than stellar is fair? What dish would you suggest?

More
6 years 10 months ago #288032 by Carlos.Martinez3
Who are your go to guys as far as authors or source for your myths ? Your favs ? The ones , if u do ... Apply actively ?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #288042 by

ReallyRiver wrote: And... what do you dislike about the Temple does things?

That's a broad question which I'm not confident I can answer succintlctly.

So the broad strokes... lots of organisational and structural aspects of the Temple seem to be deeply rooted in egoistic ways of thinking. Ranks, offices, honorifics. Are these truly "Jedi" in nature? I'm not a fan of the secrecy, the top-down nature of the Council or the lack of transparency in how the place operates, including the lack of accountability amongst senior members. The laziness, the placeholder officers, absent clergy, those who get a rank badge and never return. Those who lie and cheat and backstab and have the audacity to call themselves Jedi still... to take Council seats even. The politics this place creates around what is supposed to be a celebration of our fundamental unity. I can live without all that.

But then alongside that we have real treasure, people helping one another, people caring for each other, learning, teaching, growing together. It's not all bad and perhaps how it is was the best those who built it could imagine. But the reality is there are far better ways if only we reach for them.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #288043 by

Senan wrote: As a father, do you see yourself sharing Jediism with your little ones at some point?

And a more lighthearted question, having travelled, do you think the stereotype about cuisine from the U.K. being less than stellar is fair? What dish would you suggest?

1. Excellent question. I've actually already begun to share my beliefs, not in a "this is how it is" way, but in a "this is what I believe. Other people believe something different" way.

One of the joys of Jediism is it's fundamentally accessible to young minds. My son is 5, and bright. He can grasp the idea there's one thing and all the little things are just parts of it, with no real problem. He can understand that, doing things in certain ways are easier than doing them in other ways. And so we have a common base to set out from.

I have no idea what he will believe, as he grows. That's his choice. But I do know my Jedi training will allow me to accept whatever his worldview is as valuable and valid and beautiful.

2. Well, our cuisine varies. We have our fish and chip shops and greasy spoon cafes like you have your diners and burger joints, and we have our Michelin starred restaurants too... it's a little like characterising all American food as junk food, burgers and fries. ;) by and large I would say British food in general is improving and a lot better than it was 20 years ago... but again it depends on your frame of reference. If what passes for quality food in the States is what you're seeking, British opinions and tastes may differ.

What would I suggest... that's a tough one. So much of our food is influenced by other cultures and countries. I really am stumped to think of something typically British in response to this... after all our national dish is generally acknowledged to be Chicken Tikka Masala :D

More
6 years 10 months ago #288044 by Avalon
Aside from your apprentices, what keeps you coming back to this particular Temple in spite of your disillusionment? And what changes do you think are necessary in that regard?

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #288046 by

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Who are your go to guys as far as authors or source for your myths ? Your favs ? The ones , if u do ... Apply actively ?

I'm big on Norse myth, my ancestry is Scandinavian and I have a big draw to that part of the world. There are few enough "original" sources, but in terms of English language tellings I like Kevin Crossley-Holland's version. Neil Gaiman also recently put out a really beautiful retelling.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi