Hi I'm Kit, Ask me Anything

More
6 years 10 months ago #288214 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Hi I'm Kit, Ask me Anything

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Kit wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Kit wrote:
It was Arcade who directed me towards shamanism. Read a few books, did one of the suggested journeys and it just felt right. So I kept at it

Who or what is "Arcade"?
And which books?

Ah, sorry. He hasn't been around for a while. A friend of mine who use to be a knight here.

Thanks! But you forgot the second part of the question? :( :P

Crap! I missed more than one question! Thank you for reminding me!

There's some very interesting books by Sandra Ingerman that I found to be a helpful very general starting point. They're well written and enjoyable to read but it's very basic world-view stuff that I later found didn't answer some of the things I was experiencing. It was great to get me started but I had to turn to specific culture studies to answer other questions and find some more focused traditions to work with.

Shamanic Journeying, Shamanic Journeying: A Beginner's Guide, and Awakening to the Spirit World: The Shamanic Path of Direct Revelation are the three I have from her. I think I'd recommend the Awakening from what I remember, it's a more complete overview and written by two authors.

Secrets of Shamanism: Tapping the Spirit Power Within You By Stevens, Lena was written by folks who did a lot of traveling and studying of cultures and has a more dry but fact-based approach. I prefer Ms. Ingerman's more story-telling flow but I suggest this one for folks with other tastes

He also recommended this one: Call of the Sacred Drum: Shamanic Healing Methods for Wiccan Healers by Cobb, Rev David Robert. I don't remember what use I got out of it, I was really attached to Ingerman's works at the time.

Another friend recommended this book which I suggest because it's what helped explain things that Ingerman couldn't for me. This covers Mongolian shamanism and is rather random and sometimes confusing in the layout but good information.

Chosen by the Spirits: Following Your Shamanic Calling by Sarangerel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #288215 by Kit

Rex wrote: Heya Kit,
What's your MOS, how'd you discover your guardian animal, and what's the biggest thing you've learned from Jediism?

(underline mine)

I'm so sorry I missed this Rex! After Kyrin mentioned I missed part, I went back to see if I missed others!

I first met Fox in a dream. It felt very real and I remember nearly every detail in it. In short, I was a spirit, no one could see me, I couldn't interact with anything, affect anything, or even thought much of anything at all. I just was there, wandering in a near mindless haze. Then I saw this ghostly fox. It looked at me, and darted into a bush ahead. It had roused my interest in a way that nothing else had before. So I was curious and approached the bush. When I got close, the fox dashed ahead again into another bush. I felt like it wanted me to follow it, so I did, and the further we got, the more solid I became and the more I could interact with the world. Long story short, it ended up leading me to what I felt in the dream was my life's work. In the end of the dream, I died, but since I was a spirit anyway I simply faded from the physical world. But I still held all my memories and would never again be that mindless wraith.

Years later, Arcade mentioned shamanism, and the first journey I tried was one to find out who my Power Animal was. I'll admit I was hoping for some powerful predator. A wolf or a large cat. But it was Fox who came to meet me instead. Now I can't imagine having anybody else. I didn't think of the dream until a month later.

More
6 years 10 months ago #288217 by Kit

OB1Shinobi wrote: 1) whatever happened to Arcade anyway?

2) how come i can see you sig when im logged out?!?

Thanks in advance

1) I can't say, but I can say that he's doing good. I get emails from him occasionally

2) I have no idea! That's really interesting 0.o

More
6 years 10 months ago #288524 by steamboat28
a) What got you started in your crafting hobbies?
b) Should I do one of these? I feel both left out and unknown. lol

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #288550 by
Replied by on topic Hi I'm Kit, Ask me Anything

steamboat28 wrote: Should I do one of these? I feel both left out and unknown. lol

I know you didn't ask me, but I'm gonna butt in anyway, lol. As a newer person around here... and as a just naturally curious person who loves learning from others... the more sources of knowledge available, the better!

More
6 years 10 months ago #288574 by steamboat28
Anybody with a hat that cunning can't be wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #288583 by
;)

More
6 years 10 months ago #288591 by Kit

steamboat28 wrote: a) What got you started in your crafting hobbies?
b) Should I do one of these? I feel both left out and unknown. lol

a) I think it started with my 'mother'. One of the very few positive things I got from her. I remember her often cross stitching and sewing occasionally. So I picked up cross stitching in my early teens. I do remember drawing for as long as I can remember though. My sister is the crafty sort too. She got really into it before I did. I remember her making cosplay costumes that were amazing! Although in the vein of 'making things' I was writing fiction when I was in High School. I think the next craft I got into was Chainmaille. A friend in Tech School taught me to make rings and weave them. It wasn't until five or so years later where I really realized I had a passion for making things. But I couldn't tell you exactly when it started, why, or what the craft was that told me "this is fun!". But the craft that really told me "this is me, this is what I'm made for" was the one I sent you in the mail last, what, a year ago?

b) I know you started one already but absolutely! I find you a fascinating person and would love learning more about you!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #288638 by
Hello Kit. Do you teach others how to shamanic journey... or journey shamanically... not sure how to phrase it properly. Or is 'the technique' more of a private personal practice?

More
6 years 9 months ago #288682 by Kit

Mythos wrote: Hello Kit. Do you teach others how to shamanic journey... or journey shamanically... not sure how to phrase it properly. Or is 'the technique' more of a private personal practice?

I've always use the phrase "how to do/go on a shamanic journey". I have taught it before. Even done it in-person with a Jedi group once! The techniques get individualized as a person does it more and more and the person finds their favorite practices, especially since not everyone experiences journeys the same way (everyone has a preferred sense they experience with. Visual, auditory, emotional, that sort of thing). But there are a few good places to start trying things.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi