Mindfulness training does not foster empathy, & can even make narcissists worse

More
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #285260 by
Although the results and coclusions are a bit harsh for a study that only took 5 minutes to test , it is surprising that the "Narcistic" control group had similar results , this is certainly worth exploring deeper into why it is so hard for Narcissts to feel emphathy and how to change their social skills without resorting to "mind tricks" but rather depending on long term conditioning like Behavioural Therapy sessions but i am not sure if i would want that , it seems that way that they would be "fixed" in my opinion and i am not sure if i want to fix people .
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #285262 by JamesSand
Given that as far as I'm concerned the difference between humans and a tin of catfood is that the catfood is usually better dressed, I'm not particularly surprised by this at all :P

hard for Narcissts to feel emphathy and how to change their social skills without resorting to "mind tricks" but rather depending on long term conditioning like Behavioural Therapy sessions but i am not sure if i would want that , it seems that way that they would be "fixed" in my opinion and i am not sure if i want to fix people .

Society in general is just the prevailing accepted form of conditioning, whatever is in vogue at the time.

Good behaviour mostly hinges on profit.

I can save up to $500 on a bedroom furniture set if I smile, talk a little about myself, and am interested in what the sales staff have to say.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #285263 by OB1Shinobi
Im ok with "fixing" the charles mansion or jeffrey damher types.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu,

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #285265 by JamesSand

Im ok with "fixing" the charles mansion or jeffrey damher types.

Ah, the bogeymen of their era...

Jeff was certainly troubled (and in the end, was murdered by another troubled bloke. A bizarre type of justice perhaps?)

How many other troubled folks, who would have stopped somewhere short of Jeff's more....extreme behaviours, have been demonised and had their lifestyles controlled by others for fear of what they might do, rather than what they have done?

(We moved from "Ability to recognise emotions based on pictures of eyes" to "famous serial killers" in impressive time :side: )
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #285267 by

(We moved from "Ability to recognise emotions based on pictures of eyes" to "famous serial killers" in impressive time :side: )

Our skills are improving rapidly...

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #285268 by OB1Shinobi
Manson wasnt a serial killer :P
he was a cult leader and i guess "criminal mastermind" (meaning only that he was the mind that was calling the shots, not that he had mastered the use of his mind, and lol at actually using the term)

We're still technically on topic -i think- because extreme narcisism is a common trait amongst serial killers and criminal masterminds

Dont forget Bundy, 30+ women raped and murdered.

Im not saying we should jump to unfair conclusions about people, im only saying it would be great if there were an intervention process that was accurate in who it singled out and effective at reducing homicidal outcomes. It could be worth it dependin on how it were implemented.

I dont know that we're able or responsible enough to do it currently though, i acknowledge that

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #285269 by
Nothing can foster Empathy anyway cuz' Empathy is BS. Its totally subjective and shouldnt be relied on. You will be more empathetic to a picture of one starving child rather than a page full of statistics highlighting child starvation on a global level. Its logical compassion we need to foster, whichnis based on logic over emotion.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #285270 by
How would you foster logic over emotions with Narcists ?

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #285271 by JamesSand

You will be more empathetic to a picture of one starving child rather than a page full of statistics highlighting child starvation on a global level. Its logical compassion we need to foster, whichnis based on logic over emotion.

This is a fascinating thing to say.

It says to me, quite curiously, that we imagine starving children as appearing as pictures or infograms in magazines. Oh, we'd all be familiar with the image you're conjuring. Whether from the charity collectors on city streets, or the UNICEF ads on telly....

(Fortunately, thanks to a lifetime of experiencing these pictures and graphs, I am wonderfully immune to any emotional experience from either)

Perhaps they should have an actual starving child at the charity stalls. It'd up the emotional investment at any rate...

Spoiler because it is, arguably, in poor taste, but speaks to the discussion of empathy (particularly vs commercial needs or personal lifestyle)

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by JamesSand.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi